View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Well said by Bla1ze at the front page
    "As Chen notes, he's a realist and does not have time to sugarcoat things. I feel him there. I often get 'called out' for similar actions. Sometimes people don't want the truth, they want things sugarcoated. In any case, I'm glad he took the time to clarify these issues in this new post because it was certainly needed though I still think he needs to sit back and chill for a bit. Whether or not it will help any, well, we'll see. Bad news travels faster than good news."
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-clea...ade-codemobile
    Posted via CB10
    Chen's back in my good books now lol. I love that he cleared the air, awesome.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, 3MIKE, bungaboy and 6 others like this.
    10-10-15 01:22 AM
    Chen's back in my good books now lol. I love that he cleared the air, awesome.

Posted via CB10
    The problem with clearing the air is that most people who see the first round of comments don't read the second round...also, that awkward video with him showing the Priv that runs 'Google' is stickier in the mind than the written explanations. He needs to work on improving his public speaking skills, or have someone else talk or something.

Also, it's hard to see him keeping BlackBerry 10 around for very much longer, and that makes me sad The user base is going to keep shrinking without any sort of support/campaign. I guess I'll buy a BlackBerry Android over another brand, but it's not the most inspiring picture. We're supposed to be a killer software company. It sucks that our own software is likely to be tossed under a large vehicle if something drastic doesn't change in the next twelve months.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub and CDM76 like this.
    10-10-15 03:24 AM
    Also, it's hard to see him keeping BlackBerry 10 around for very much longer, and that makes me sad The user base is going to keep shrinking without any sort of support/campaign. I guess I'll buy a BlackBerry Android over another brand, but it's not the most inspiring picture. We're supposed to be a killer software company. It sucks that our own software is likely to be tossed under a large vehicle if something drastic doesn't change in the next twelve months.

Posted via CB10
    I think BB10 will stay.

I felt there was risk to BB10 going away too. However, I've giving this some more thought and think Chen is clearly stating his strategy is to support both Android and BB10. Since BB10 volumes will almost certainly be cannibalized by the BlackBerry Android devices, it would not surprise me if the form factors are standardized across both platforms (it's what I would do). That way, his hardware suppliers will have production runs for the total device demand, with the software load being the final step (think of the hardware as part of an assemble to order kit, with software and packaging being the other parts).

BB10 then continues to be the strategy for regulated industries and governments, and could continue to get more secure (think secusmart). I could also see additional pricing power for these BB10 segments.

In fact, perhaps there are three or four customer segments. Consumer (secured android), Enterprise (more secure), Government (most secure, least price sensitive), Prestige (Porshe Design) -TBD

If this makes sense, and happens, we will all have the choice to stay with BB10 (probably no emerging market / low end device though) so long as the Priv takes off to keep hardware affordable. (and yes, it would mean we will have a Priv with BB10 at some point). It's predicated on BB10 volumes being high enough to cover the software costs (but not the hardware costs)

Feel free to comment.

Re BBRY: I wish I was following Morgan's advice and buying/selling based on the RSI . Would have put some decent profits in my pocket. But, work has taken precedence ... so more buy and hold... at least I've gotten my average purchase price below $10 from my original purchases in the $30s and $40s. .

Have a good weekend everyone!

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    Last edited by b121; 10-10-15 at 06:48 AM.
    3MIKE, bungaboy, rarsen and 11 others like this.
    10-10-15 06:36 AM
    The problem with clearing the air is that most people who see the first round of comments don't read the second round...also, that awkward video with him showing the Priv that runs 'Google' is stickier in the mind than the written explanations. He needs to work on improving his public speaking skills, or have someone else talk or something.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely, but what Chen is doing and what BlackBerry is doing as a whole, I feel that it's necessary in this moment of time. Providing an Android device, I believe, is the only other option besides scrapping BB10. Let's face it, if the Passport wasn't able to peak some interest for BlackBerry, another high end all touch won't either, not without the apps anyway. BlackBerry can spend all the money they want advertising BlackBerry 10, but if the customer isn't getting the entire ecosystem i.e. applications and media (films, music, books), you can forget about BlackBerry as a whole because they'll have spent their entire resources on aimless advertising.

The problem remains the same as it was back in 2012 when BB10 was in development. We should be grateful Chen came aboard and was able to control the finances, otherwise not even the best public speaker can talk their way out of liquidation.

The media can hurt the brand all they like, but they can't touch the money and Chen's experience in the game.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 06:43 AM
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, jxnb and 2 others like this.
    10-10-15 09:44 AM
    When I first found this thread four years ago, I had never invested in individual stocks -- and knew almost nothing about how to do it. Since then, I have learned a great deal from the contributors to this thread, have followed-up with quite a bit of my own study, and have racked up some important stock investing experience. I owe the contributors on this thread a great deal!

I want to offer something that readers of this thread may find interesting. Earlier in the year, I offered this post on POET Technologies. I have some new details. Since that post, Poet has hired a truly first-rate leadership team as the company transitions from being largely research-oriented to being commercially viable. Also, still serving as Executive Co-Chair of the Board is Ajit Manocha, who, after leading Global Foundries to become the 2nd largest foundry in the world and later retiring, essentially came out of retirement to work with Poet. Manocha also serves on President Obama's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. Manocha was instrumental in hiring POET's new CEO and CTO, both coming out of extremely high-powered executive positions in the semi-conducting industry to work at a small, relatively unknown company. Why would they do this? In his many speaking engagements, Manocha now describes Poet as having "very disruptive technology." Poet Technology basically combines optical and electrical signal production and transmission on a single chip. (Optical reception AND transmission, lasing! Also, both digital and analog signals.) Some people believe this might be the technology that resoundingly will transcend Moore's "Law" as silicon technologies approach their limits.

This is amazing stuff. However, there has until now been very little publicly available evidence that all of this technology works as promised. Also, crucially, the leadership team needed to take Poet forward has only just hit the ground and started running. The pieces seem to be in place now. Here is a link to the audio of their most recent conference call.

Still, Poet Technologies is a speculative play. It trades over the counter. There are some important unknowns. However, in my opinion it is likely that in the near future, Poet will debut on the NASDAQ. There is a fantastic discussion community for Poet -- at agoracom.com. The folks on this site are incredibly thoughtful and generous with their due diligence. (A contributor rating system and careful forum leadership keep things on the up-and-up.)

I still wish Blackberry and Poet could find some meaningful connections in the future. In the meantime, I'll just say that as a US citizen, I very much admire these two Canadian companies.
    Last edited by jxnb; 10-10-15 at 12:37 PM.
    10-10-15 09:49 AM

Still, Poet Technologies is a speculative play. It trades over the counter.
    Where does one buy over the counter stocks? Questrade allows me to buy only from exchanges.
    10-10-15 10:03 AM
    Where does one buy over the counter stocks? Questrade allows me to buy only from exchanges.
    You can buy PTK.V in Canada. It's only over the counter in the US.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    10-10-15 10:22 AM
    Certainly a chin scratcher. I've not seen this many days of solid uptick with below average volume in...well....not sure I have?

Not complaining of course. Just glad I got in when I did

I guess I should have done what I said I was going to do. Sell out before earnings and then rebuy after the dip. At $7.20ish level at the ER, I figured it was so low it couldn't go much lower (although I did expect it to go lower without a big earnings surprise), given everything in the pipeline and the Priv on the way. After every earnings, even some GOOD earnings, there seems to be a dip after all of the 'the world is ending because revenues are going lower and lower' chatter. Except last December when we moved from $6.30 to $8 in a matter of days, IIRC, post ER there has been a 2-5 week dip. IMO there has been no reason for the stock to have gone as low as $6. I guess I really need to learn the markets (well, except from here on out I see increasing revs, earnings surprises, and SP moving UP after the ER). I don't account for quarterly end and funds selling out (I continue to learn from Morgans insights!!), and the still significant shorts that need to make their last few millions manipulating the stock. Who was that investor who picked up a truck full of Jan '15 $7 strike calls for $0.23 (was it?) Are they worth 4x now...already? The SP is back to what I think was and is appropriate value (I expected a quick dip to $6.50-$6.80 and then a recovery to the $7.20-7.40 level within a few days...not a 2 week dip and recovering) ....before we move up until the Priv release, gauge market reactive to the device and then see if it goes up or down from there. Too bad I had all my funds tied up and couldn't take advantage of the dip in the 6s.
    OlympusMons likes this.
    10-10-15 11:10 AM
    Absolutely, but what Chen is doing and what BlackBerry is doing as a whole, I feel that it's necessary in this moment of time. Providing an Android device, I believe, is the only other option besides scrapping BB10. Let's face it, if the Passport wasn't able to peak some interest for BlackBerry, another high end all touch won't either, not without the apps anyway. BlackBerry can spend all the money they want advertising BlackBerry 10, but if the customer isn't getting the entire ecosystem i.e. applications and media (films, music, books), you can forget about BlackBerry as a whole because they'll have spent their entire resources on aimless advertising.

The problem remains the same as it was back in 2012 when BB10 was in development. We should be grateful Chen came aboard and was able to control the finances, otherwise not even the best public speaker can talk their way out of liquidation.

The media can hurt the brand all they like, but they can't touch the money and Chen's experience in the game.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is the blackberry brand. I have friends who still roll their eyes that I have a Blackberry. I hear "blackberry sucks". The device (passport) is amazing. But you have people that say "wow that is big....too big" but I can put it in my pocket (front or back, and fairly tight jeans) and it's short enough that it doesn't stick out like an iPhone 6+.

I say "you don't know what you're missing until you try it". Whenever I hear a compliant of how they can't do something (like save files to a folder structure and you control, select multiple documents / types and attach to an email quickly) or that the battery is dead, I just say "well, it's an iPhone, what do you expect? Get an Android or Blackberry 10 and you won't be limited to what Apple tells you is all you need."

Anyways, hopefully the PRIV will get some iPhone peeps to try Android. I hate that OS for a mobile phone / tablet.
    10-10-15 11:16 AM
    Nice run!! As posted earlier wanted mkt to come down so I can buy BlackBerry cheap n ride the slider wave..$6 was good deal. Took the profit as mkt n shorts can't be trusted. BTFD should be strategy. BlackBerry sp should do well before year end..

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 11:36 AM
    The problem is the blackberry brand. I have friends who still roll their eyes that I have a Blackberry. I hear "blackberry sucks". The device (passport) is amazing. But you have people that say "wow that is big....too big" but I can put it in my pocket (front or back, and fairly tight jeans) and it's short enough that it doesn't stick out like an iPhone 6+.

I say "you don't know what you're missing until you try it". Whenever I hear a compliant of how they can't do something (like save files to a folder structure and you control, select multiple documents / types and attach to an email quickly) or that the battery is dead, I just say "well, it's an iPhone, what do you expect? Get an Android or Blackberry 10 and you won't be limited to what Apple tells you is all you need."

Anyways, hopefully the PRIV will get some iPhone peeps to try Android. I hate that OS for a mobile phone / tablet.
    Perception will take a very long time to sort out. I wouldn't worry too much about your friends, it's not their fault lol.

Until BlackBerry can prove Wall Street wrong on all accounts once and for all, the tune won't change from them or the media. BlackBerry knows this very well, we (us good folk on this thread) know this too.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and rarsen like this.
    10-10-15 01:11 PM
    This is the interest in the BlackBerry Priv according to Google search data:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb.png

Blue: BlackBerry Priv
    Red: BlackBerry Passport
    Yellow: BlackBerry Classic
    Green: BlackBerry Z30
    Purple: BlackBerry Z10.

It's better than the Passport at the time of the announcement, but still low.
    Here is a comparison with the Microsoft phones that nobody is going to buy:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-lumia.png

Maybe that's why Chen was so apathetic about the phone at Re/code.
    10-10-15 02:29 PM
    . . . Here is the Microsoft phones that nobody is going to buy . . .
    Nice try. At least you got that part right.
    3MIKE, morganplus8, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    10-10-15 02:46 PM
    Lumia phones have launched. Has the Priv? Let's check trends in the one week after launch to compare.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 02:49 PM
    I also think the Lumia phones will sell better than expected. I would be tempted to grab a Lumia if I had money, haha.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 02:55 PM
    I also think the Lumia phones will sell better than expected. I would be tempted to grab a Lumia if I had money, haha.

Posted via CB10
    I have a Lumia phone. The user experience compared to BB10 is severely lacking, IMO.
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE and rarsen like this.
    10-10-15 03:04 PM
    Lumia phones have launched. Has the Priv? Let's check trends in the one week after launch to compare.

Posted via CB10
    No, Lumia phones were announced, the release date is unknown, probably November.
    10-10-15 03:09 PM
    You can buy PTK.V in Canada. It's only over the counter in the US.

Posted via CB10

Thanks!
    But how do you buy otc stocks anyway? Just general question.

Posted via CB10
    jxnb likes this.
    10-10-15 03:36 PM
    Perception will take a very long time to sort out. I wouldn't worry too much about your friends, it's not their fault lol.

Until BlackBerry can prove Wall Street wrong on all accounts once and for all, the tune won't change from them or the media. BlackBerry knows this very well, we (us good folk on this thread) know this too.

Posted via CB10
    No offence, but I think you've got it a bit backwards. BlackBerry need to focus on their customers, not on Wall St. If they had prioritised expanding the BlackBerry 10 user base from the start instead of pricing the Z10, Q10, Z30, etc as though they offered the same ecosystem as Apple and Android that would have helped sell a lot more devices and it would have brought more apps over time, etc etc. That's all in the past now, but perception will only change with increased sales. If they focus on selling devices, perceptions will change.

Posted via CB10
    b121 and BigBadWulf like this.
    10-10-15 03:44 PM
    How can you specuate that they are keepng BB10 when they aren't releasing new phones? No touchscreens. No new features on OS?
    10-10-15 03:58 PM
    Chrys -- I just use the ticker symbol with my online brokerage (Schwab) and then it is handled just like any other stock. The US ticker symbol for Poet Technologies (as an over-the-counter stock) is POETF. CJ has mentioned the Canadian ticker symbol, PTK.V.
    10-10-15 04:05 PM
    It's a big mistake to kill BB10. They should have hired someone to market it. Their marketing (or non-marketing) doomed the best OS in the world. What do they have to offer other than the best OS and smartphones? They are guessing and missing.
    coffee-turtle and CDM76 like this.
    10-10-15 04:08 PM
    How can you specuate that they are keepng BB10 when they aren't releasing new phones? No touchscreens. No new features on OS?
    Good point. Yes we understand that bb10 is dead. The entire CB site is full of bb10 dead comments for weeks now. BlackBerry dead and now bb10 dead has been discussed many times. So how does it effect BlackBerry? Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 04:12 PM
    This begs the question. How many times can one be dead.....in BlackBerry's case....talk about coming back from the dead.....damn I said it again!

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    10-10-15 04:23 PM
113,256 ... 36053606360736083609 ...