I got webOS & it died, I got bb10 & it will die soon...Woe is me !! I am the phone OS's hex !!!
    Please go MacOS X and iOS next...
    extisis and andy957 like this.
    10-09-15 04:22 PM
    When people see watta crummy parent Jobs was, apple will die & anyhow who knows . Difference BTW iOS & FiOS ?? I am the phone OS nightmare, the Else-Bub !!
    10-09-15 04:26 PM
    Way too late at this point...
    10-09-15 04:34 PM
    BB10 is dead. The only thing missing is the funeral. No amount of denials, ignores, or fancy intellectual gymnastics can change what I see.
    I'm sorry, but you seem to have totally missed the point.
    extisis likes this.
    10-09-15 06:33 PM
    I'm sorry, but you seem to have totally missed the point.
    BB10 is DEAD! It is the only point worth noting.
    10-09-15 07:10 PM
    BB10 is DEAD! It is the only point worth noting.
    You seem to be under the impression there is some dispute about that.
    It may be the only point you think is worth noting, and as such, there is no purpose in engaging you further.

KAM
    anon4226395 and extisis like this.
    10-09-15 07:57 PM
    I got webOS & it died, I got bb10 & it will die soon...Woe is me !! I am the phone OS's hex !!!
    I'm running parallel with you on this path.

I fear what will happen to windows phone now that I bought one to try.

KAM
    10-09-15 08:05 PM
    I'm running parallel with you on this path.

I fear what will happen to windows phone now that I bought one to try.

KAM
    Microsoft has pretty much unlimited funds by having a monopoly in other areas. I mean how much have they lost on the Xbox but it's still going.

It's actually pretty sad that only the giants even have a chance anymore. Palm and Sega are already gone and it seems like many would like the same for BlackBerry and Nintendo.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 08:16 PM
    The Board has to go, not just Chen, or maybe not even Chen at all: you can tell the board has a list of "resorts" that they're crossing off one-by-one. Is switching to Android the "last resort" or do they have a few more up their sleeves? Maybe they'll acquire an energy drink company and try marketing BlackBerry flavoured hyper-caffeinated beverages. It's a mystery!

The board never had the list in the proper order and are willing to cross off things that shouldn't be on the list at all I.e. Non-negotiable aspects of what makes BlackBerry "BlackBerry". Merely staying in business is an achievable short term goal, but nothing they are doing will result in making BlackBerry viable in the long term: any competitive advantage they may have now will eventually be eroded and they will be driven further and further into obscurity. The fact that this is what the board is directing the executive to do indicates that it it the board that is at fault here and they who have to go.

The absolute BEST case scenario is that the Slider is a success... In which case they are acquired for their hardware and security patents, but if the Slider isn't a success what will they "resort" to next? Attempt to revive BB10? Of course not. Or kill the handset division? Sure, I guess... Until Apple or Microsoft or a robust open source team puts their energy into MDM software, then they are well and truly bleeped. But by the grace of their competitors are they even allowed to stay in business with this "direction".
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-09-15 at 08:36 PM.
    kraidx likes this.
    10-09-15 08:24 PM
    You wanted the company saved, he came to save it. If that means ditching BB10, or selling it as a Corp only device, than that is how he will save it. CrackBerry fans might hate that, but it's the only way to profit.
    No, we absolutely did not want him saving the company if all it means in future is to sell toaster ovens for a living. Others already do that better.

And that is about what he's done.

Posted via CB10
    int19 likes this.
    10-09-15 08:31 PM
    No, we absolutely did not want him saving the company if all it means in future is to sell toaster ovens for a living. Others already do that better.

And that is about what he's done.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but what do you do when bb10 is failing the way it is? Chen has a good track record of turning things up with previous companies so who knows what he'll do here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-09-15 11:56 PM
    Chen hasn't "saved" anything. The company isn't turning a profit, and he's been dismantling parts of it with plans that are questionable at best.
    How far should we stretch the definition of "saved."
    If they cut all of the staff except 1 person to update BBM, and sell sticker packs, making $100 a year net profit is that saved?

KAM
    I wouldn't call the recent acquisition of a number of companies "dismantling". A shift in direction? Certainly.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    10-10-15 12:15 AM
    I wouldn't call the recent acquisition of a number of companies "dismantling". A shift in direction? Certainly.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    I said dismantling parts of it. I didn't say dismantling it entirely.

KAM
    10-10-15 12:30 AM
    He may be an effective chief executive but he is a PR disaster. They need to keep him away from the media.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 02:30 AM
    Hi,

Your right on all counts. Any weak hearted CEO would have shut down after Q10 disaster !
    To his credit he gave us Passport ( which still world best Phone : by Mobile congress 2014)

Yes to loyalist BBOS is their sacred belonging with which they do not want to part with.
    however today apart from apple and blackberry no other phone is sold as " brand" . All Android phones be it samsung or Asus are sold as commodity ! Every Taiwanese backyard is making a Android device at 100 Dollars now. So there is still a space for someone who has brand value to take Android from commodity to brand product.

If it is priced competitively. 500 to 650 dollars . it might be a samsung killer not iphone killer never the less
    10-10-15 03:04 AM
    Ok so Priv is launched but it doesn't match the sales which is expected by BlackBerry, it so they will stop the Handset Business,

What will happen with the people who had buy Priv..they will have the same feeling as we r having now, being completely left with OS which is as good as dead, n beside how long will they give the update for Priv and bb10

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 04:56 AM
    Ok so Priv is launched but it doesn't match the sales which is expected by BlackBerry, it so they will stop the Handset Business,

What will happen with the people who had buy Priv..they will have the same feeling as we r having now, being completely left with OS which is as good as dead, n beside how long will they give the update for Priv and bb10

Posted via CB10
    Dead OS? You don't understand the Android world that well. Android is the absolute WORST in terms of upgrade fragmentation. 3 years from now Lollipop will probably be the #2 version of Android installed overall.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=1

Note that Jellybean marketshare is almost equal to Lollipop, and KitKat (2 years old) has the most Android share. You can blame lazy carriers and lazy OEMs for that, because they honestly don't give half a sh1t about the customer once the phone is sold, so they don't waste their resources on software updates. Only Apple does a better job than Blackberry with keeping the phone OS up to date, and that's because Apple is the OEM and OS vendor inclusively, and it bypasses the carriers for updates. But Lollipop won't be a "dead OS" for many years to come.

Chen has stated at least twice that the Priv will have a superior update methodology, so I'm thinking it will be able to get security updates without waiting for carrier certification.
    10-10-15 06:51 AM
    Did anyone asked themselves what happens with BBM if they go all Android? BBM is still a hit or miss on Android and iOS very far from BB10 experience. And then there is video.. oh how I dare to go there

Point is they kept investing into BBM and if they drop BB10 they are essentially dropping BBM with it and all the money spent on it.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-10-15 07:02 AM
    Well.. as a consumer and BlackBerry 10 user, I'm not anymore happy with his decisions. There must have been ways to be save the company while maintaining BlackBerry 10
    10-10-15 09:03 AM
    Don't you think if there was they would do it? After all the money spent on it? All the time?
    10-10-15 09:09 AM
    The only things is that as a software only company, they don't have any products now that don't have lots of competition. With BlackBerry 10 phones, they had end to end security with BES. Now they have software that anyone could replicate. What do they have that is unique with software only?
    So, you're saying companies should only try to compete in a market where they are the only player? Preposterous. BlackBerry can compete in various software markets, including MDM and EMM. They have to excel, certainly, but just because others are in their space doesn't mean they can't compete.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 10:25 AM
    Dead OS?
    Chen has stated at least twice that the Priv will have a superior update methodology, so I'm thinking it will be able to get security updates without waiting for carrier certification.
    you are really believing Chen at this point.... lmao...
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-10-15 12:14 PM
    To his credit he gave us Passport ( which still world best Phone : by Mobile congress 2014)
    John Chen did not give us the Passport. The Passport was well under development during the tenure of Thorsten Heins. Putting things in perspective, BB10, the Z10, and Passport had Mike Lazaridis written all over it, predating Thorsten Heins. Both Heins and Chen walked into the product development cycle.

The root of the problem is not the technology. Lazaridis positioned the company very, very well for success. Acquiring QNX and actually developing BB10 was brilliant and accomplished very quickly.

QNX was acquired in 2010. The QNX-powered PlayBook was released in 2011. Development of BB10 his critical speed in 2012 and BB10 launched on the Z10 in early 2013. Honestly, from the acquisition of QNX in 2010 to a full blown OS in 2012-13, is record time. iOS is less capable, less technically sophisticated and its development cycle was way longer, considering is was based on OSX which Apple already had!

No... Mike Lazaridis personally set the wheels in motion long before Heins and Chen showed up. Lazaridis personally oversaw this.

The biggest problem was not even marketing.... nope... it was advertising. Plain and simple. BB10 was light years ahead of iOS, Android and Windows Mobile, and still is. Research in Motion should have dumped a billion dollars into ADVERTISING. Television, the web, print media, posters, radio ads, etc, should have been awash in BlackBerry hype. The BB logo should have been everywhere.... everywhere. RIM had the cash to do this. Celebrity endorsements should have been coming out weekly.

App developers would have jumped on board.

None of this happened and is the ONLY reason BlackBerry is where it is. Chen still doesn't get it.... advertising WORKS. Always.

Leave the engineers to engineering.

Chen can fiddle around with acquiring security software companies and cut jobs, but this won't make a difference. The PRIV will succeed or fail based simply on the amount of money spent on advertising. It really is that simple.

For Chen to come out and demonstrate a PRIV and not even know how to use it just shows that this guy doesn't have a clue about what ACTUALLY sells software and devices. Not a clue at all.

This company can only be "turned around" by dumping some of that cash in the bank into advertising. Professional advertising.
    Last edited by Matt J; 10-10-15 at 12:36 PM.
    10-10-15 12:25 PM
    How is he saving it?
    Same way Caesar at Octavian saved the Republic of Rome, I suppose

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 12:30 PM
    You guys are funny. Fact is BlackBerry can't sell enough handsets to profitability. Period.

He's giving people a completely different option within the giant ocean/market of Android phones out there. It's a smart move and probably one of the last ones they have, before having to decide if they have to stop making handsets.
    10-10-15 12:50 PM
127 ... 23456