Chen is out of options. Android option to open up available apps but 2 little, 2 late. Why buy a blackberry for android ? I don't know why he would basically say BB enterprise is no more secure then Knox. That is a befuddling admission, if true as he has always maintained that was BB's enterprise edge. Very strange. .
    10-09-15 12:40 PM
    Put aside your doomsday prophecies as they never come true, try and think about what an intelligent CEO would do.

His wording was complete crap, but this could be a clever game of chess he is playing:
    Uh, sorry to tell you, but the Doomsday has arrived. This is over for me at least, and anyone else who likes BB10 and prefers it to some App-filled promised land. The company is in a shambles STILL. NOT spending money--that's not really an accomplishment if you simply stop development of products (referring to BB10) or at least mostly stop.

Chess...yeah, that's what Chen's doing. He's playing this elaborate game, making himself look like a fool, but in the end, he will reveal himself as a Brilliant mastermind who has miraculously won by way of failure.

Side note: People referring to Chen as "honest." Wow. Foot-in-Mouth disease is NOT the same as honesty. Chen's been lying to US--to BlackBerry Customers with this "Oh I really love BB10" song-and-dance nonsense, while insuring that BB10 takes a short trip to nowhere.

The only people being "played" are those of us who trusted BlackBerry to produce and support a product, instead of to jump ship blaming an OS for their continued incompetence and lack of ability to make something of it. Well...not exactly true. Those of you who think that Android is going to save BlackBerry are also being played, because with leadership like this, you could have a phone that's a Sonic Screw Driver, Light saber and Telepathic Projector all rolled into one and it wouldn't succeed.

Is there a CHANCE that somehow things can turn around? Yes--some very small chance, but I sure as heck wouldn't bet on it.

KAM
    10-09-15 12:45 PM
    Yes. He is TRYING to KILL the hardware division. It is something he doesn't understand and doesn't like so he is trying as hard as he can to kill the hardware without saying he wants to kill the hardware. He never wanted BB10 to succeed in the first place. He wasn't the person that BlackBerry needed.
    Chen has stated time and time again throughout 2015 so far that he not only wants hardware but also believes that security ultimately begins with the handset.

BlackBerry phones are not going away. Period. Chen may move them out of the public/consumer market but they will always make those niche medical (read: PassPort) and high security devices that would only be offered through BlackBerry's Enterprise page (and likely require a BES subscription to activate, too).

The ultimate irony is that there are people in authoritative positions who have been "advising" him to leave hardware and he has yet to do so.

So which is it?

$799 is how much the BlackPhone 2 is suppose to cost.... So IF security is your first concern, why would you choose the PRIV? Even if the PRIV is a bargain at $599 (which isn't what it sounded like it would be) is that enough of a savings to make IT pick the PRIV?

Chen just handed the BlackPhone guys the best endorsement they could get....
    Well for one the BlackPhone 2 is not going to be sold through carriers so easily 99% of the consumer market will never know it exists (talk about privacy/security!). Maybe Credo will pick it up, I don't know, but one thing is for sure; here in North America we don't buy the phone first then shop for a plan/carrier second like in much of the rest of the world. Google tried changing this with the Nexus line and look how well that took off.

The endorsement is a compliment that goes both ways. I mean, his statement also implies that the BlackPhone is maybe as secure as the Priv.

Anyone who is hoping for "blockbuster" sales is insane. I'm not gonna mince words anymore.

So, let's see

1) Refuse to maintain development of BB10 in a reasonable way (we've gotten bare minimum, and will be less moving forward)
    2) Insist that Android is the only POSSIBLE route (self-fulfilling plan--see #1).
    3) Continue pattern of non-existent or totally incompetent marketing.
    4) Fire or drive away any competent staff.
    5) Name it the "Priv"
    6) Botch "announcement" of PRIV.
    7) All along this path let idiocy spill out of your mouth.
    8) Compare your ONLY hardware device left to be "PROBABLY" as good as something else.
    9) Set INSANE expectations for "success" given that you've sabotaged any possibility of such in steps 1-8
    10) Future coming soon: Make excuses, pretending that they tried everything they could.

Fire this ***** today. Fire Him, Fire him, Fire him. Then the board should fire themselves for hiring this half-wit.

KAM
    5 million in and of itself is a big number but 5 million handsets is rather small in comparison with the overall market. The global market is expected to sell ~1.6B, as in 1.6 billion, smartphones by the end of 2016. So, that 5M is just over 0.003% of that. Very doable.

1. As Chen has stated elsewhere that medical device and government contract markets don't upgrade as often as consumers. It's a simple matter of economics/budgets.

Unless BlackBerry is to only sell within the North American, or even just the Canadian market, it makes little sense to devote massive resources into something that has yet to break 1.5% of total market. Ironically, BlackPhone is well positioned for this small of a niche.

2. To be honest I am not sure why some on here are even bothering. I mean, over the last three years BlackBerry "addicts" have been b****ing about one thing or another but I suppose that is a symptom of addiction. Like it or not BlackBerry has not been able to move out of an extreme niche market, so yeah, Android may be the answer. Note the word "may".

Let's face it: even if the Priv were a BB10 handset and even if it had a better name many of you would still be griping about something or another: "BB10 sucks", "iPhone rules", "Still no SnapChat, I'm outta here", "I don't want a slider", and on and on. I mean, some of you like to complain it seems for the sake of simply being obstinate.

You know, there is an article archived here on CrackBerry listing the 11 reasons for why Google should buy BlackBerry. It is from 2011 and was written by the CrackBerry Godfather himself, CrackBerry Kevin.

People have been saying RIM should go Android since 2009 in the least and ever since BB10.2.X business bloggers have been saying that BlackBerry should just go full-on Android, too.

And which segment of the population do you think Chen is going to listen to? The one side that only wants the free apps (honestly, maybe if more of you actually paid for apps through BlackBerry World/Amazon App things may be different) or the side that is most likely to pay for stuff? Android will solve both problems: free apps for all you cheap mofos and revenues from the professional side who actually pay for stuff.

Like it or not the reality is that the Priv is the phone most on here have been waiting for.

3. No doubt this has been a huge problem in the past but it is safe to say that BlackBerry was putting their hopes on BBs prior prestige to sell phones.

4. Chen got rid of those who refused to see BlackBerry as anything but a handset company. Those who are/were onboard with BB becoming more software focused stayed.

5. Give me a break. In North American common usage "privy" is more akin to "being in on the secret". As in, "he's not privy to the meeting's minutes". Also in NA, "priv." is the correct shorthand for "private". Obviously this is why it has become the slang word for "WC", but fact remains practically no one on this side of the pond would use it to reference the john unless maybe they were an Anglophile.

I mean, what if the phone were to be called "the John"? Americans would think it was something you would use to ring up hookers. Or what you read while you are on the toilet. But, the rest of world would not see the big deal.

Look at it this way: for better or worse I do not recall any one particular handset let alone a time in history where BlackBerry has received this much coverage. Not sure about where you live but here in the U.S. some media outlets are saying that the Priv is going to be the direct competition to the iPhone 6S. Whether it actually is or not is not the point; the fact that journalists are even saying such a thing is--and all based on very little info about the Priv, too.

Every time each and every one of you badmouths BlackBerry/Chen/Priv is another moment of free advertising and you know what they say in the business: there is no such a thing as bad publicity.

7. The funny thing about such comments is that those who make them tend to believe their own choice of words are golden.

8. Chen said "maybe", not "probably". Huge difference in meaning, there.

9. 5M phones is not insane unless you want to consider the fact that it is a rather low bar.

10. Yup, the future is coming soon and that future is automotive OS/connectivity and IoT. Chen is positioning BlackBerry to be in on this stuff front and center.

I agree! I get that sometimes he wants to be honest but he didn't have to say what he said at today's event. BlackPhone will definitely use his quote against BlackBerry in the near future...
    Chen was speaking to the choir and the majority of those in attendance at the event are likely people he golfs with on a regular basis. What was he supposed to say considering that many there know more about Chen, BlackBerry and the partnerships with Samsung and Google than any of us do.

The priv is a consumer device with security and privacy features.
    Consumers won't buy a blackphone or android knox.
    He says BlackBerry 10 is the best somewhere in there.
    Could be worse..
    99.9% of consumers will never know that the BlackPhone even exists. I'll also put money on the fact that at lest 50% of Galaxy lovers have no idea what "Knox" is.

But yeah, one thing that is being overlooked here is that overtime Chen comments on why he moved to Android he also throws out a quick "BB10 is the best", "BB10 is the most secure", "People really love BB10", and so on. If common sense were truly common more people would have it, yet most don't. Good thing for Chen that is his target audience with BB10/niche high security are smart enough to understand what he is saying here.

Here's what I keep thinking. The Blackphone is supposed to be more secure than the Priv according to Chen. The Blackphone was hacked at Def Con last year. So how secure will the Priv be? And what dies that say about a company who is all about security?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, he never said it is more secure. His use of the word "maybe" implies that the BlackPhone could be more secure while also implying it may be less secure. "Maybe" is not an absolute definitive; it is ambiguous that suggests possibility but also implies doubt.

Agreed.

I think he was making the point that Android can never be that secure.... if you want really good security (in a consumer phone) then you have to get BB10.
    Exactly what he is saying.

Yeah, but he didn't say that. Instead he said, go get a BlackPhone... and if you're OK with a little less security, but don't like waiting, go get a Samsung device with Knox.
    Once again, nope; not what he said.

Hey, think a bit.

He's better off underpromising and overdelivering. Wait for the Blackphone2 to get hacked.

If the Priv stands its ground, it's a win... :-)
    Yup.

You don't need to promise the world to know that when your sales on the floor and people need to buy your phones again promoting the competition is not the way to go. Chen is the master (when asked about BB10 for example) of the vague statement, he just needed to day "we believe in our solution" and not get into all that other stuff.
    Thing is that everyone in attendance at Mobile/Code knows that Chen/BlackBerry partnered with Samsung to improve upon Knox and that BB had also partnered with Google to help bring awareness to secured Android in enterprise. What people may not be aware of is that to this day many still see BES as something meant only for BlackBerry phones despite BES12 being cross-platform. The Priv is at least equal in part to bring awareness to this aspect of BES12 as it is to bringing apps to BB users. Perhaps even more so.

So what was Chen going to say? That, even though BlackBerry had a direct hand in improving Knox that Knox still sucks? That even though they are improving upon and bringing Android security to enterprise that Android security still sucks? If you think about it those would be even worse things to say.

Look at it like this: Chen did say that if you want the real deal security and privacy then BB10 is the way to go.

Guys, guys you're just not getting it are you?
    Chen is a genius.
    This whole thing; the development, marketing and release of The Toilet Phone; is an ingenious PR stunt.
    Here's the real road map:
    Release Privy.
    Privy gets hacked on day 2.
    Media storm.
    Chen on every major news outlet saying'what do you expect? It's an Android. If you want real security use BB10.'
    Mass Migration to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, funny.

Getting hacked, in particular by a "Def Con" team is a badge of honor. For one, they are truly the most leet hackers. For two, they are usually nice about it and let you know how they did what they did so you can fix it. Yes, they do sometimes use it to ridicule. And three, you have to be the "best" in the first place in order for them to even consider hacking your product. These people are not amateurs and are not going to waste their time with easy targets.

You guys are so pathetically pessimistic.

Chen was saying Android is not as secure as bb10 but the ultra secure market is tiny. Within the relative scale of Android only the Samsung WITH Knox is as secure as the slider and the Blackphone can say they are just as good or better. Chen has to uptalk Samsung with Knox cuz BlackBerry is a business partner with Samsung to secure Knox. If people buy a knox, BlackBerry makes $.

The Blackphone probably isn't a big seller but regardless Chen has to champion other secure phones cuz he is in that business.

Meanwhile, the balance of the Android market (Sony, LG, motorola, oneplusone, huwaei, HTC, etc.) sucks at security, so Chen is saying look at BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree.

It sure will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The guy isn't an *****, so what he is saying doesn't matter as much as we would like to believe. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of 'deal' with this phone that makes it more interesting to whatever target audience it is geared towards.

I stand by the consumer hardware is Coming Soon (tm) to be dead. A signature move by BlackBerry.
    I still think there will be a BB10 PassPort 2 released by the end of 2016 but as of right now not one of us knows anything about the future of BlackBerry handsets. On the one hand, outside of security everyone at BlackBerry is tight lipped with lots of ambiguous statements. On the other, BlackBerry has been teetering on the edge with handsets for a few years now. Every time they seem to finally be tipping in a positive direction something happens. That is the BlackBerry way and I don't know why anything will be different with the Priv.

Loool just watched the afternoon news, it translated as follows:

Beirut, LBC news:

"John Chen BlackBerry CEO announced that 2016 will be the last year BlackBerry makes devices, he also confirmed that the PRIV is the last device to be released. "

That's what happens when this dude speaks!!! Its a freaking disaster!

Posted via CB10
    Uh, considering that even native English speakers in Canada/U.S. can't figure out what this dude is saying I suspect that something got lost in translation over there in Beirut.

You don't get it. Assuming that your OPTIMISTIC justification of this is correct, and this isn't just Chen stupidly running his mouth, there is still a problem.
    That is: If you have to Explain your message, then your message has failed. Period, full stop. ANOTHER indication that BlackBerry has absolutely no control over what its message is, or how to present it in any sort of meaningful, effective way.
    But Chen does not feel the need to explain himself. It is us BB10 fans who want him to. If anything, I bet that Chen simply wants to move forward.

People always need to realize that BlackBerry has dug itself such a deep PR/Marketing/Brand hole that they need to be EXTRA careful about not making these sorts of mistakes. It doesn't matter if it is fair or not. BlackBerry is a joke to most people, and that's the environment that they are in, and must deal with.

I've been said this 3 years ago, and it is just as true today as it was then. BlackBerry needs to address its Brand Position, and the FIRST thing is to stop making it worse by letting a CEO who sticks his foot in his mouth keep doing it.

KAM
    This is true and honestly I don't think Chen can shake the BlackBerry curse. For one, the Board is likely pulling all the strings, anyways.

The car-crash continues:

You know what they say about a car wreck: everyone secretly wants to watch.

What's interesting is that by tweeting that, Silent Circle essentially endorses the statement that their offering is on equal footing as the Priv (and vice-versa).
    Yup, exactly.
    Last edited by crucial bbq; 10-09-15 at 01:18 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900, cbvinh and buwee like this.
    10-09-15 12:53 PM

Well for one the BlackPhone 2 is not going to be sold through carriers so easily 99% of the consumer market will never know it exists (talk about privacy/security!). Maybe Credo will pick it up, I don't know, but one thing is for sure; here in North America we don't buy the phone first then shop for a plan/carrier second like in much of the rest of the world. Google tried changing this with the Nexus line and look how well that took off.

The endorsement is a compliment that goes both ways. I mean, his statement also implies that the BlackPhone is maybe as secure as the Priv.

I still think the PRIV is a Enterprise solution also... doubt consumers will give it a 2nd look (as Chen made it sound expensive), unless they really want a keyboard - and that I think is just wishful thinking at this point. I think with Carriers moving away from phone subsidies and indications that manufactures (including BlackBerry) might be offering some sort of installment plans. The age of buying a phone and then buying a service might be coming to North America pretty quickly. To be honest, if Security and Privacy was an Android users top priority.... buying a phone that was sure to get regular updates directly from Google would make a lot more sense.

No the endorsement didn't go both ways.... Chen said the BlackPhone was MORE secure than the PRIV... the KNOX phones are "as secure" as the PRIV.
    10-09-15 02:15 PM
    LOL, BB can certainly pick 'em can't they?

Thor used to speak random techno-babble which was rapidly "clarified" by his PR minders after a universal "say whut???!" from listeners. While Chen, who really doesn't understand his company's products - "it runs Google" - is honest to (beyond?) the point of fault.

PR 101 - Never mention a competitor's product; and never make comparisons between your and their offerings! Beyond dumb!

Chen certainly makes for a refreshing change from Thor... but equally damaging to BlackBerry.
    Couldn't possibly agree with this more. When you compare your product to another company's product, you're basically saying that the other product is the standard, the best, the benchmark in that particular category. Has anyone other than me noticed how every smartphone OEM is comparing their phones to the iPhone in their keynotes? They're basically stating that the iPhone is what's setting the bar.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-15 02:28 PM
    Posting this prediction here to reference for after the Priv release.

'BlackBerry faces major breach in security'

Instead of

'Android os bug discovered, google deploys update'

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and Batibreaker like this.
    10-09-15 02:48 PM
    They will price it so they won't sell.
    It's a premium device... Priv= privilege...

Very telling what He has in mind.
    10-09-15 02:48 PM
    In reality, unlike Apple's Tim Cook, John Chen doesn't represent the BlackBerry brand to the average consumer. What Chen says to the media today doesn't matter at all. What will make the difference is a clever marketing campaign.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 03:06 PM
    Problem is that nobody cares and you know it. You have to play the game and you have to be on top of human nature and know how to exploit human psychology. This is the world of BUSINESS - facts, honesty and being 'goodie two shoes' don't get results.
    *whoosh* Hear that? That's the sound of my point flying straight over your head. A company that is in the business of security cannot jeopardize its reputation by claiming security on something as inherently insecure as an Android device. It is better to be honest in this case, than to stake a claim to something that will be refuted in a blink.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-09-15 03:06 PM
    It's a premium device... Priv= privilege...

Very telling what He has in mind.
    yes and no....i am not sure 5 million people will agree easily to that. If they dont get they response they need then all Priv owners will be privileged indeed to be the owners of a one off unsupported phone.
    JeepBB and Q10Bold like this.
    10-09-15 03:12 PM
    yes and no....i am not sure 5 million people will agree easily to that. If they dont get they response they need then all Priv owners will be privileged indeed to be the owners of a one off unsupported phone.
    It really all depends on the price doesn't it?. From what I read into it, it sounds like it will be on the high end of the scale. Unfortunately pricing something on that end of the scale can be counter productive. He needs to get in more hands than not. There is a price point that will make or break this handset in today's market. Let's hope they don't error by killing sales right out of the gate.

At least he's got peoples attention for the moment. That's a good thing.
    10-09-15 03:20 PM
    Jeep:

In the BB afterlife, which forum can we meet up in? You have any thoughts about your next device?

What kind of "wake up" news is this - sheesh!!!! Who started this miserable thread? KILL THE MESSENGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ah, my old friend... it's Playbook deja vu, all over again! LOL

I have to be honest and say that as I sat out the BB10 dance - yes, the Playbook debacle really did end it for me and BB - I've observed the slow motion train wreck that is BB10 more as an interested observer than as a fan... but it's certainly been a wild ride!

Hard to see a way back for BB hardware from this. Chen might as well pull down the shutters as he's basically told everyone that the Priv is nearly as good as the Blackphone, and is on a par with Samsung. And, unless it sells like those hot cakes are supposed to, he's also said hardware is done within the next year. Why anyone would buy a Priv given that ringing endorsement of competitor phones and telegraphing the EOL of hardware is beyond me... and I doubt many will!

As to me, and my next phone, I still like WinPhone. 8.1 is pretty slick and bug-free and I find I really like the Fischer-Price coloured active tiles - they grow on you!. What I don't like so much is the lack of Apps. I'm not a big App-user, but there are a few that I miss. Not being a fan of the Android UI (it's not you, it's me; lol) I'll give that a miss... so my next phone is one of two... either an iPhone 6s plus or the Lumia 950xl.

My plan is to give Windows 10 Mobile 6 months from launch and see if the Apps start to come - I think they will - and if so, I'll stick with WinPhone. If not, I'll get the iPhone and never lack for Apps. I prefer WinPhone to iOS but, as has been said many times hereabouts... it's the Apps that make or break any OS.

Planning on pulling the trigger on one of those two phones in late Spring next year, which by coincidence is when I think it'll all be over for BB hardware.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    10-09-15 04:06 PM
    Hire Donald Trump as spokesperson! Couldn't do any WORSE than Chen!!
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-09-15 04:39 PM

At least he's got peoples attention for the moment. That's a good thing.
    A lunatic swinging an axe will get people's attention. Being attention-getting isn't necessarily a good thing.

It what you say and do once you have people's attention that matters, and what Chen said and did *wasn't* a good thing.

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    imz, Batibreaker and Bay 13 like this.
    10-09-15 04:47 PM
    What will make the difference is a clever marketing campaign.

Posted via CB10
    So they're screwed either way... They haven't had a clever or effective marketing campaign in years...
    FF22, JeepBB, Eumaeus and 1 others like this.
    10-09-15 04:54 PM
    *whoosh* Hear that? That's the sound of my point flying straight over your head. A company that is in the business of security cannot jeopardize its reputation by claiming security on something as inherently insecure as an Android device. It is better to be honest in this case, than to stake a claim to something that will be refuted in a blink.
    In that case all their boasting of this being a secured Android device is false advertising ...

You don't release a product and market it as secure if it isn't.
    10-09-15 05:20 PM
    In that case all their boasting of this being a secured Android device is false advertising ...

You don't release a product and market it as secure if it isn't.
    Have they been boasting about that? It seems to me what little we've seen so far has been about privacy, not security, right?
    10-09-15 05:30 PM
    A lunatic swinging an axe will get people's attention.
    Uh oh, we know folks at BB read this forum. Don't give their ad folks any ideas! The Super Bowl is coming up soon.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-15 05:33 PM
    John....not again!!!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    10-09-15 05:40 PM
    Uh, sorry to tell you, but the Doomsday has arrived. This is over for me at least, and anyone else who likes BB10 and prefers it to some App-filled promised land. The company is in a shambles STILL. NOT spending money--that's not really an accomplishment if you simply stop development of products (referring to BB10) or at least mostly stop.

Chess...yeah, that's what Chen's doing. He's playing this elaborate game, making himself look like a fool, but in the end, he will reveal himself as a Brilliant mastermind who has miraculously won by way of failure.

Side note: People referring to Chen as "honest." Wow. Foot-in-Mouth disease is NOT the same as honesty. Chen's been lying to US--to BlackBerry Customers with this "Oh I really love BB10" song-and-dance nonsense, while insuring that BB10 takes a short trip to nowhere.

The only people being "played" are those of us who trusted BlackBerry to produce and support a product, instead of to jump ship blaming an OS for their continued incompetence and lack of ability to make something of it. Well...not exactly true. Those of you who think that Android is going to save BlackBerry are also being played, because with leadership like this, you could have a phone that's a Sonic Screw Driver, Light saber and Telepathic Projector all rolled into one and it wouldn't succeed.

Is there a CHANCE that somehow things can turn around? Yes--some very small chance, but I sure as heck wouldn't bet on it.

KAM
    Look, I would prefer a BB10 Priv too, in fact if they announced the android release was in November and the bb10 release was in 2016 I would wait for the bb10 version. But that is not likely.

Chen is doing what he can to ensure that the hardware division can be profitable so the BoD doesn't tell him to axe it or get axed. I would much rather see some android BlackBerry's come out and see the company hardware division continue on, then watch the company disappear into the MDM/software segment of the market that quite frankly doesn't matter to most of us.

I know you, along with many other people are mad that BlackBerry never met our hopes and expectations in the last few releases, but they are in survival mode, and tough decisions are necessary to keep alive. As far as we know, BB10 is going to live on as a niche offering, and you will be welcome to continue purchasing BB10 devices. Just don't whine about apps, because they solved that issue with the Priv.

BB for Life
    10-09-15 05:41 PM
    Don't compare blackphone and Priv.
    Don't forget you must add a yearly $100 subscription, even if free for the first year. Which individual (even SMSE) would do that ?
    For regulated industries, it's a no go either.

So, I believe JC talked about enterprises and thereafter explained that they will make the price more affordable by 'any means' (my words).

Blackphone is not the opponent we should worry about. Could even be the next partner (if JC drops HW) if you ask my foolish mind. This could explain that. Oh well... we need some ABC...
    Srry but the FBI has been using the Blackphone for a while now..get the facts right
    10-09-15 06:41 PM
    Look, I would prefer a BB10 Priv too, in fact if they announced the android release was in November and the bb10 release was in 2016 I would wait for the bb10 version. But that is not likely.

Chen is doing what he can to ensure that the hardware division can be profitable so the BoD doesn't tell him to axe it or get axed. I would much rather see some android BlackBerry's come out and see the company hardware division continue on, then watch the company disappear into the MDM/software segment of the market that quite frankly doesn't matter to most of us.

I know you, along with many other people are mad that BlackBerry never met our hopes and expectations in the last few releases, but they are in survival mode, and tough decisions are necessary to keep alive. As far as we know, BB10 is going to live on as a niche offering, and you will be welcome to continue purchasing BB10 devices. Just don't whine about apps, because they solved that issue with the Priv.

BB for Life
    When have I ever whined about apps? I would have preferred them to deal with that issue, but I've done pretty well without them. I value apps much less than all the people eager for android. They are the ones who whined for apps or abandoned bb10 to get them.

As far as survival. Well, I'm not sure I care about the survival of Blackberry if they decline to offer me products I want. I MIGHT (slim chance) end up liking the PRiV, and if so then I would care. This clearly isn't a team sport or a partnership. Customer loyalty or any such notion has been proven utterly meaningless.

That's fine, I am merely noting that is a two way street,

KAM
    10-09-15 06:42 PM
    Here's what I keep thinking. The Blackphone is supposed to be more secure than the Priv according to Chen. The Blackphone was hacked at Def Con last year. So how secure will the Priv be? And what dies that say about a company who is all about security?

Posted via CB10
    Read what really happened not what was posted on this site. Silent Circle disabled a feature on the Blackphone to allow an update to be installed and that's what the hacker exploited, if that feature were enabled there would have been no hack
    10-09-15 06:43 PM
    Have they been boasting about that? It seems to me what little we've seen so far has been about privacy, not security, right?
    Did John Chen say that BlackBerry would release an Android device if they found a way to secure it?

The expectation is that this is 'Android secured' ... and if it isn't, it's a DOA.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-09-15 06:47 PM
    When have I ever whined about apps? I would have preferred them to deal with that issue, but I've done pretty well without them. I value apps much less than all the people eager for android. They are the ones who whined for apps or abandoned bb10 to get them.

As far as survival. Well, I'm not sure I care about the survival of Blackberry if they decline to offer me products I want. I MIGHT (slim chance) end up liking the PRiV, and if so then I would care. This clearly isn't a team sport or a partnership. Customer loyalty or any such notion has been proven utterly meaningless.

That's fine, I am merely noting that is a two way street,

KAM
    I'm not saying you are one who whines about apps, it was a broad statement because many do, and they are the ones pushing for android. I am in the same boat as you, I don't care about apps, I get everything I need from current BB10 and the only thing I downloaded from amazon was spotify, but I actually prefer slacker anyway as the ads are much more bearable and you don't get one with every song skip.

I know it sucks that it's going to be an android, I am as let down as you, but I just hope you can see that this was a necessary move for survival of the company, and if it succeeds we may both get our wishes in the form of future BB10 phones. They won't be the latest specs and all that nonsense, but this Q10 does just fine, and I'm sure anything they make in a year or two will be even better.

Chen may be trying to dismantle hardware, but I believe he is actually trying to spare it. The masses have not realized how much of their life is being wasted by pointless apps, when that does happen, the opportunity for developers to offer real productive apps on all platforms will be more feasible. Envision if you will, a new enterprise app store, only legitimate productivity apps are permitted and designed for use on all four primary OS. Maybe I'm just dreaming now, but believe me the ecosystem environment is going to transform over the next few years along with the smartphone market

BB for Life
    KAM1138 likes this.
    10-09-15 08:18 PM
165 ... 23456 ...