There is nothing, and I mean nothing, on the market that does all this, with or without apps. So, my hope, and from what I read it seems likely, is that the Priv carries forward BlackBerry's pim and Hub functionality.
    My OnePlus One has good battery life, and 65 GB on board storage, but no SD slot. For your PIM needs, Type Mail comes close. You get a unified email inbox, and you can flag emails as tasks. But, unless I'm missing something, those tasks don't get pushed to the calendar.

It's a very good question whether the Priv (and, by implication, BBXP on other Android etc devices) will be able to sustain BB10's full PIM functionality. Android pushes you to use Google calendar, but people are going to want a more neutral solution.
    10-08-15 01:31 PM
    IMHO - I believe even if Priv is successful, that Chen will dump the handset business anyway so he can focus resources on MDM - and the end goal for that is to sell the company once he has established at least baseline revenue and presence in the MDM space.

For this reason - in spite of being a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and even though the Priv is quite appealing - I will be moving to another hardware platform. I am not excited to spend $800 on a Priv, and then have it turn out to be non- supported hardware and/or poor OS support because BlackBerry has bailed out of the device business.

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    In my humble opinion Priv will share Playbook fate in 12 months from launch date.
    10-08-15 04:05 PM
    IMO.

Android:
    Capability: A (huge app store, lots of 1st party apps)
    Performance: A->D. Android can definitely start to bog down over time. at first though it performs wonderfully and Nexus devices tend to run well throughout.
    Customization: A
    Multitasking: B/C (there's some neat notification things you can do on some Android phones like run apps side by side, or watch Youtube as you do other things)
    Notifications: B
    Timeliness of Updates: A/C (Nexus devices vs non Nexus).
    Privacy/Security: C/D

iOS:
    Capability: A (huge app store, lot of 1st party apps)
    Performance: A
    Customization: C
    Multitasking: C
    Notifications: C
    Timeliness of Updates: A
    Privacy/Security: B

BB10:
    Capability: C
    Multitasking: A
    Notifications: A
    Timeliness of Updates: A/F (if you're not in the US, have an A. If you're in the US, have an F; I don't count hacking your phone to get the update)
    Privacy/Security: A

BB10 seems to rate decently except the fact that to most of the world, capability is given far more weight than Privacy/Security (most don't give a hoot), multitasking (most of my friends don't even use it), and notifications (most think Hub is awesome but they're not going to give up the "capability" to just get Hub). Also the "timeliness of updates" really hurts US customers unless they plan on using Sachesi.

It's all about what's important to the customer.

Personally for me I actually care a lot more about multitasking and notifications than my friends. When I showed them multitasking and hub they all go "ooh that's neat" but never "I NEED THAT". But as it is now, using an Android phone, I miss multitasking and hub a lot but on the flip side, I got a great camera, the ability to play the game I like without carrying another device, access to some social apps, and the ability to use a bunch of peripherals which aren't necessary but are a lot of fun. It's a tough trade off, but I made it when I realized BB10.3 would probably never make it to my phone.

If I see T-Mobile releases it for the Z10, I'll probably fire it back up and play with it and **MAYBE** switch back to maining my Z10.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    10-08-15 04:06 PM
    IMO.

Android:
    Capability: A (huge app store, lots of 1st party apps)
    Performance: A->D. Android can definitely start to bog down over time. at first though it performs wonderfully and Nexus devices tend to run well throughout.
    Customization: A
    Multitasking: B/C (there's some neat notification things you can do on some Android phones like run apps side by side, or watch Youtube as you do other things)
    Notifications: B
    Timeliness of Updates: A/C (Nexus devices vs non Nexus).
    Privacy/Security: C/D

iOS:
    Capability: A (huge app store, lot of 1st party apps)
    Multitasking: C
    Notifications: C
    Timeliness of Updates: A
    Privacy/Security: B

BB10:
    Capability: C
    Multitasking: A
    Notifications: A
    Timeliness of Updates: A/F (if you're not in the US, have an A. If you're in the US, have an F; I don't count hacking your phone to get the update)
    Privacy/Security: A

BB10 seems to rate decently except the fact that to most of the world, capability is given far more weight than Privacy/Security (most don't give a hoot), multitasking (most of my friends don't even use it), and notifications (most think Hub is awesome but they're not going to give up the "capability" to just get Hub). Also the "timeliness of updates" really hurts US customers unless they plan on using Sachesi.

It's all about what's important to the customer.

Personally for me I actually care a lot more about multitasking and notifications than my friends. When I showed them multitasking and hub they all go "ooh that's neat" but never "I NEED THAT". But as it is now, using an Android phone, I miss multitasking and hub a lot but on the flip side, I got a great camera, the ability to play the game I like without carrying another device, access to some social apps, and the ability to use a bunch of peripherals which aren't necessary but are a lot of fun. It's a tough trade off, but I made it when I realized BB10.3 would probably never make it to my phone.

If I see T-Mobile releases it for the Z10, I'll probably fire it back up and play with it and **MAYBE** switch back to maining my Z10.
    Which is why BB10 is dead. People myself and yourself included don't make BlackBerry any money firing up old phones for nostalgia sake.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:19 AM
    For me it's mostly Apps and Google Play Services....

Release date late this year .... time to set up a GoFundMe account to buy the Priv
    10-09-15 07:39 PM
    You keep comparing your Android findings to BB10 for what? To make yourself feel better about bashing BB10? Lots of people don't like android. Something you just have to deal with. Or stop hurting yourself trying to understand lmao

Posted via CB10
    I keep comparing android and bb10 because people continue to compare bb10 and Android.

I keep hearing either false or misinformation about android and I just like to chime in and clear things up.

Especially with the Priv coming out soon I'd hate someone to be discouraged from buying one based off of something someone said on here that might not even be true.

Also, I don't think I've bashed bb10 on the same level that you've bashed android.

Is android more capable than bb10? Sure. Are there some things bb10 does better? Probably.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-10-15 12:02 AM
    PRIV android and PORSCHE. That's the ticket I'll be waiting for
    10-10-15 02:59 AM
    I keep comparing android and bb10 because people continue to compare bb10 and Android.

I keep hearing either false or misinformation about android and I just like to chime in and clear things up.

Especially with the Priv coming out soon I'd hate someone to be discouraged from buying one based off of something someone said on here that might not even be true.

Also, I don't think I've bashed bb10 on the same level that you've bashed android.

Is android more capable than bb10? Sure. Are there some things bb10 does better? Probably.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    you should read your previous posts then. i show the truth about android- bashing something i'll never use does nothing for me. i'm not the first one to call you out. you're on here daily (possibly hourly) talking up android and wondering why BB10 diehards think they way they do, then try to put them down. I don't care about comparing android to BB10- that's something that you are set on doing. And Go for it- once this phone releases and it's forgotten- you can finally leave.
    10-10-15 12:11 PM
    you should read your previous posts then. i show the truth about android- bashing something i'll never use does nothing for me. i'm not the first one to call you out. you're on here daily (possibly hourly) talking up android and wondering why BB10 diehards think they way they do, then try to put them down. I don't care about comparing android to BB10- that's something that you are set on doing. And Go for it- once this phone releases and it's forgotten- you can finally leave.
    I believe this is the Priv part of the crackberry forums so of course I'm going to talk about Android you know because..the Priv is running Android. I'm always more than happy to inform people on stuff they may not be familiar with when it comes to android. If you ever have any questions about Android feel free to message me.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    10-10-15 03:27 PM
    I believe this is the Priv part of the crackberry forums so of course I'm going to talk about Android you know because..the Priv is running Android. I'm always more than happy to inform people on stuff they may not be familiar with when it comes to android. If you ever have any questions about Android feel free to message me.

Cute. And yeah I know what part of CB this is the point is that you're everywhere whether the thread is about BB10 or android. You fail to mention that. Anyway I'm pretty familiar, the lady has an S6 so I see it enough. Thanks though, you're one of many.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 03:33 PM
    This, exactly. BB10 can't even rearrange icons on the screen as well as android. Different launchers, widgets, crazy amounts of stuff that is unthinkable on BB10.
    Can you have unlimited customized LED notifications on Android? What about custom system notifications such as when your phone drops wifi?

Are there swiping gestures or do I have to use a home button? How many apps can you have open at once and quickly switch between with a simple swipe up?

I know that by boss cannot open an excel spread sheet, PDF, or Word doc that I send via text message to his HTC.

I want a slider w/ nice large screen. But only if it can do all the above. Otherwise is just a phone w/ spam and spyware.

Passport & Z30 & Q10 Can't imagine life without Blackberry
    10-10-15 05:43 PM
    Can you have unlimited customized LED notifications on Android? What about custom system notifications such as when your phone drops wifi?

Are there swiping gestures or do I have to use a home button? How many apps can you have open at once and quickly switch between with a simple swipe up?

I know that by boss cannot open an excel spread sheet, PDF, or Word doc that I send via text message to his HTC.

I want a slider w/ nice large screen. But only if it can do all the above. Otherwise is just a phone w/ spam and spyware.

Passport & Z30 & Q10 Can't imagine life without Blackberry
    LED notifications, sure. Some phones don't have the hardware for that, but for example Motorola on its last generation Moto X had part of the screen light up with a notification instead. Since it had an AMOLED screen, it had no adverse impact on battery life.

I hardly leave any apps open on my tablet because I have widgets and other things that mean I don't need active frames. For example, facebook chat heads are an insanely useful feature that BB10 doesn't support. And I actually have an app that lets me swipe from either the sides or the bottom and set whatever I want to that action. I have five different actions bound to that, letting me have instant access to the Camera, multitask screen, home screen, Keep (a note taking app), or a button that forces the screen to stay on. This is all without even rooting the device, either.

Apparently your boss doesn't know how to use his phone, then. I use my Android tablet for plenty of document editing for school.
    10-10-15 07:12 PM
    Cute. And yeah I know what part of CB this is the point is that you're everywhere whether the thread is about BB10 or android. You fail to mention that. Anyway I'm pretty familiar, the lady has an S6 so I see it enough. Thanks though, you're one of many.

Posted via CB10
    Well if your lady ever needs help with that s6 I'd be more than happy to help her out. I can picture it now, her asking you for help with her s6 and you probably going on some kind of tirade of how she should have gotten a bb10 devices and how stupid android is.

Hang in there buddy.

10-10-15 10:04 PM
    Well if your lady ever needs help with that s6 I'd be more than happy to help her out. I can picture it now, her asking you for help with her s6 and you probably going on some kind of tirade of how she should have gotten a bb10 devices and how stupid android is.

Hang in there buddy.

Lots of insinuations there that are actually the contrary in reality. Proof that all you care about is arguing about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 10:42 PM
    Well. On Android I get real time email inbox sync for Gmail IMAP. On BlackBerry 10 the best I can get is 5 minute sync intervals.

I will be interested to see how native email on the Priv handles that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    That's is NOT TRUE. BB10 supports push, including GMAIL. The time interval is irrelevant if push is enabled. Check your account settings.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 08:26 AM
    Lots of insinuations there that are actually the contrary in reality. Proof that all you care about is arguing about it.

Posted via CB10
    All I care about is our friendship. Buds for life!

10-11-15 10:01 AM
    That's is NOT TRUE. BB10 supports push, including GMAIL. The time interval is irrelevant if push is enabled. Check your account settings.

Posted via CB10
    New messages are pushed to my BlackBerry instantly. That is NOT the issue. The issue is actions taken on the BB phone (inbox folder) only sync back to the server at intervals on a BlackBerry. So if the sync interval is set to 5 minutes (minimum) and I delete an inbox message on the Passport in Gmail, it can take up to 5 minutes for that deletion to show up in my PC email client. On Android the inbox folder deletes on the device immediately update to the server.

Open up your Gmail on your PC. Then on your phone delete a test message from the inbox. If you always see it delete IMMEDIATELY on Gmail on your PC then I will surely like to know what settings you are using. But I highly doubt you can make it happen, other than on the chance that you just happen to delete the message on the phone within a couple of seconds of the next scheduled inbox sync. That is why I said "always". Test it out.

Now to contrast and see how it works on Android log in to Gmail on two PCs. Delete the same test message on one PC and you'll always see it delete on the other PC, etc. That is how Android also works with IMAP. Now other than the inbox on my Android phone, the other folders DO follow a sync interval schedule. Which is fine.
    10-12-15 12:03 AM
    For example, facebook chat heads are an insanely useful feature that BB10 doesn't support..
    I find the Facebook chat heads are an excellent demonstration of how cluttered and messy Android can be. On a phone screen, I want as much of the screen as possible to be unobstructed so I can focus on what I'm doing. Having those stupid chat heads floating around on the screen is just obnoxious clutter that gets in the way.
    10-12-15 12:43 AM
    You're not forced to use heads in fact I never do.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-12-15 02:39 AM
    Plus they don't get in the way when you have a decent size screen.

Xaiux likes this.
    10-12-15 06:49 AM
    I find the Facebook chat heads are an excellent demonstration of how cluttered and messy Android can be. On a phone screen, I want as much of the screen as possible to be unobstructed so I can focus on what I'm doing. Having those stupid chat heads floating around on the screen is just obnoxious clutter that gets in the way.
    I use them on my tablet screen. When I have a 7" 1080p screen, a little chat head like that doesn't concern me. I also think that on the Priv's 5.4" screen, they shouldn't be a big deal
    10-12-15 10:24 AM
    No, but their availability is the result of a sloppy "Junk everywhere" UI design.

Plus they don't get in the way when you have a decent size screen.
    They have to float around somewhere, and that's usually covering or overlapping something else.
    10-12-15 12:01 PM
    No, but their availability is the result of a sloppy "Junk everywhere" UI design.

They have to float around somewhere, and that's usually covering or overlapping something else.
    Again these things are completely optional. I don't have Facebook installed on my phone so I obviously don't use them but my buddy does. He's always talking to his wife via Facebook so he had her chat head or whatever its called on his screen.

I tell you what. I'd rather have android with all kinds of features and customization than non at all. I like that freedom.

10-12-15 12:11 PM
    Here is the USA, apps are how folks get things done, everything from banking, social media and even custom apps dominate the market here.

I see more commercials and advertising about using apps for ordering pizza, paying bills, buying cars and the list goes on and on. This is 2015 and not 2006 and that's just the way it is whether you choose to accept it or not.
    Not just the USA but same here in Canada - biggest example is the Pay By Phone app that allows you to pay and monitor the time remaining on your parking meter or space. Using this option via a web browsers is nil.

Also people use apps like Air Canada, WestJet and others for travel needs. I know people say it's not a big deal, you can use the web browser to get that information. However apps are optimize for mobile devices, use less bandwidth, and they layout the most useful information in a easy and clean manner.
    10-12-15 12:13 PM
    Again these things are completely optional. I don't have Facebook installed on my phone so I obviously don't use them but my buddy does. He's always talking to his wife via Facebook so he had her chat head or whatever its called on his screen.

I tell you what. I'd rather have android with all kinds of features and customization than non at all. I like that freedom.

I remember someone saying he thought Android had a "cluttered" home screen.

Interesting perspectives.
    10-12-15 12:14 PM
367 ... 1112131415