Is it really unreasonable for BB to just run with the current line up of devices for a year...
    This was already their plan apparently. That year has been 2015.

Since Classic released late 2014, all they've done is release new colours for Classic and Passport. Oh sorry, there's the Leap, which hasn't exactly been a sales juggernaut.

... taking a break on expensive hardware innovation and focus on promotion and sales?
    ... and yet we still haven't seen this.

If they focus on any sales or promotion in near future, it will either be for the Android Priv and/or software like BBM or BES 12. So that still won't really assist BB10 directly.
    Indirectly it might: if Priv is a hit, some of the tarnish might get cleaned off BlackBerry's reputation.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-07-15 05:49 PM
    Just been at the BlackBerry stand @ IT-SA and have been told that the second generation of the Priv will provide the choice of operating systems .

Unfortunately there is no timeframe he could tell me, just that the Roadmap sees both OS in the portfolio longer term.

Hope this info helps a little...

Posted via CB10
    I Love You!
    eyesopen1111 and Zeratul57 like this.
    10-07-15 05:57 PM
    I can see BlackBerry making a BB10 Priv for Enterprise. The hardware will be a year older, thus more cost effective to build. They'll probably only do this if Enterprise asks and/or Android isn't secure enough. Unfortunately, Enterprise will probably just want the same with slightly better specs to keep support costs low, i.e. longer amortization for the initial investment, which means more Classics and Passports.
    10-07-15 05:57 PM
    "Hey, did you see that thing I sent you on Snapchat?"

"Hold on, lemme boot into Android..."

Posted via CB10
    You pretty much ruined all the magic there.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 07:35 PM
    You pretty much ruined all the magic there.
    What if it was... "hold on, lemme swipe over to Android..."?! Hypervisor...
    10-07-15 07:45 PM
    It just can't fathom why they can't release both now. Like I have said numerous times before: worse case scenario should be for BlackBerry to make the Android version available at the big networks / stores etc, and then have a bb10 version at Shop BlackBerry for those who just have to have it (which would be and thousands of other people).

Posted via CB10
    Has nobody explained this to you or are you just stubborn?
    10-08-15 12:40 AM
    Second generation Priv? That seems ambitious IMHO considering we don't have a firm release date or even pricing for the first generation.

And the pessimist in me suggests that based on past experience, the only killer feature of the 'second generation' will be that it comes in a shiny new colour.
    So future planning isn't a sensible thing to do??
    Companies don't survive if they fly by the seat of their pants.
    10-08-15 01:56 AM
    I will definitely go for the option with BB10. No smartphone does business like BB10
    Auscan531 and Zeratul57 like this.
    10-08-15 04:10 AM
    1) How many did they sell?
    2) Company was bought

I am not saying there might not be a niche market that BB might target. But trading on their security reputation hasn't helped so far and I haven't seen anything change recently.

Also don't forget there are competitors that won't be standing still either. They all smell the blood in the water too.
    Oh without a doubt there competitors will up the game, but out of all of them how many offer a complete suite from end to end? (I honestly don't know). Endpoint secured handsets will/would be something as a final selling point for secured communications, I can't see it as a standalone product selling millions.

How about this as an example. US TSA wants a new secure communication device that is strictly for email, documents, emergency notifications, and secure voice with a back end EMM/MDM. BlackBerry can offer that all with what they currently have, no third party at all. Much like the converged solutions a lot of vendors offer for IT.
    10-08-15 08:02 AM
    must be right after the 2nd gen z30 and classic comes
    10-08-15 08:19 AM
    So future planning isn't a sensible thing to do??
    Companies don't survive if they fly by the seat of their pants.
    Its a a very sensible thing to do - it's just that generally the dude manning the trade stand at a trade show isn't involved and has no idea what is going on.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-08-15 08:56 AM
    There are really only two options -

* Priv sells - We see more android devices
    * Priv doesn't sell - we see no more phones

If you think Chen is pouring more money in the bottomless moneypit that is BB10... well..

Yeah, as I said before it's a Catch-22 situation. I also seriously doubt we'll see a BB10 version - whether the Android Slider sells or not. If it does, we'll see a second generation.....probably in different colors and slightly better specs or finger identity.
    10-08-15 12:40 PM
    3rd generation will dual boot symbian maybe?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:56 PM
    delete
    10-09-15 08:12 AM
    they can do that on balance work be BB10 and personal be android that would be cool.
    10-10-15 01:04 AM
    I've never seen a phone with a partitioned hard drive.
    I was under the impression that Balance is a software config.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 03:12 PM
    I will definitely go for the option with BB10. No smartphone does business like BB10
    There is no Priv with a BB10 option so good luck with that.
    11-09-15 03:30 AM
    Why Version 2? If BlackBerry decides to do so, they can include in March BB10 update Priv support and then you can load BB10 using Link.
    But this would give them maybe 500k extra sales, so I doubt it.
    One can always hope, because Priv hardware look so good.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 03:47 AM
    Oddly enough there is a market for Flip phones...Japan.
    Bumped.

Check this out.
    http://www.konbini.com/en/lifestyle/...rn-flip-phone/
    undone likes this.
    11-21-15 07:38 AM
94 ... 234