Well. On Android I get real time email inbox sync for Gmail IMAP. On BlackBerry 10 the best I can get is 5 minute sync intervals.

I will be interested to see how native email on the Priv handles that.
    Huh? I have three email accounts on my Z30, gmail, outlook and telus and all three using push notifications will receive and email in under 2 seconds from time it is sent.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-15 08:17 AM
    I completely agree with you. Android is like some overcrowded flea market, full of junk products scattered all over and EVERYONE likes to buy there because it is convenient, all their friends are doing it and they have a lot of 'choice'.
    BB 10 OS, on the other hand, is like a breath of fresh air. Clean, fast, organised, professional. I love the way that it is the ONLY OS on the market having a real multitasking. Try to open YouTube, put on a song and do something else on iOS or Android, I don't think so.

I guess YouTube in the background (which, by the way, is possible on other platforms) isn't professional enough of a feature.

I suspect folks, well, actually watch YouTube.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-07-15 08:46 AM
    Huh? I have three email accounts on my Z30, gmail, outlook and telus and all three using push notifications will receive and email in under 2 seconds from time it is sent.
    Push delivery is not the same thing as folder sync. Two separate processes.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by southlander; 10-07-15 at 12:48 PM.
    10-07-15 10:18 AM
    ...which is why I watched the Windows hardware presentation today with great interest: those new Lumia devices look pretty good: with BB10 on life support, I will be looking for greener pastures sooner or later, and at this point, a Windows phone has my attention.
    I'm thinking the same thing. I don't know that I'll end up finding Windows Phone acceptable or not, but it is definitely something to consider.
    Blackberry has worked very hard to push me away--and this is right after I bought a new Passport SE. Don't plan on giving that up anytime soon, but they're going to force me to go another direction sooner or later, so why wait?

KAM
    RyanGermann and neo158 like this.
    10-07-15 10:23 AM
    There is NO appeal other than apps. Personally, I'd rather carry a stripped down BB10 phone for communications and the Web with no Android runtime AND a keep a cheap 7" Android tablet nearby for those occasions when I really need an app.

I know that's not the typical use case, but I really like having a rock-solid, efficient communications platform, and I'm skeptical that Android can do it for me. I recently put all of my non-native apps on the last page of my BB10 home screen and found that I didn't need them during my normal workday. But I use the BB10 native stuff continuously. So, I have no incentive to pay more than the cost of a cheap Android tablet to check that box.

Posted via CB10
    This is a setup I've been considering as well. I like the BB10 experience very well for most of what I use a phone for. People with "app fever" are chasing the desire to be able to have more mobile computing power --something I've wanted to do since the Early 1980s in one form or another.
    I'm not sure I can accomplish that even today, and if so, Windows Phone seems to have more promise bringing me more "desktop" with me, but I have no experience with that yet. Something to explore.

But yes--I'd be happy with my BlackBerry being that Best-In-Class Communication device that puts others to shame, and leaving the media, games and desktop extension to another device. The first is an essential everyday tool. The second is a nice add, if I can afford the Space and Weight.

KAM
    the1 likes this.
    10-07-15 10:30 AM
    For me, nothing beats the ability to type 70 wpm on a real keyboard or the efficiency of keyboard shortcuts, click and drag, right click etc. Mobile platforms are much less efficient for most (but not all) tasks.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're spot on here--with this core point. I LOVE mobile devices, but I've not seen one that has ever approached providing me with working on a real keyboard. I don't understand how or why people think that a mobile device replaces a desktop or laptop--still in 2015.
    Again--I'd LOVE that, but I just don't see it being in the same realm still.

KAM
    10-07-15 10:39 AM
    I'm thinking the same thing. I don't know that I'll end up finding Windows Phone acceptable or not, but it is definitely something to consider.
    Blackberry has worked very hard to push me away--and this is right after I bought a new Passport SE. Don't plan on giving that up anytime soon, but they're going to force me to go another direction sooner or later, so why wait?
    You know, I am surprised to find myself thinking "why wait?" also. Rationally, my Z30 works fine, the UX is superior to Android or iOS... but... being a "rip the bandage off quickly" kind-of-guy, I wonder what I gain from sticking around? I haven't used an iPhone as my daily driver since the 3GS, so perhaps it wouldn't be so terrible: the Hub is a great convenience, but email is the vast majority of my communications, so effectively the "email app" can be like the "hub", but every time I get a text message or BBM and I have to "switch apps" to view the message that's gonna sting.

I guess the time for me to stray will be when the BB Productivity Suite of apps is released on iOS. I'll throw up in my mouth a bit having to pay a monthly fee to BlackBerry for features that should be on a new powerful BB10 Slider after giving them literally thousands of dollars over the years. Grumble, grmumble.

Bah, I'll stay with my Z30 but seriously, I even considered calling my carrier to try to switch my "$30 6 gigabyte BB data plan addon" over to some kind of "regular data plan" but it won't be $30 for anything near 6 gig, so... curses to BB management for making me THINK!
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-07-15 at 11:03 AM.
    10-07-15 10:51 AM
    Isn't that what the web was invented for? How does an app, which requires updating of the client and is tied to a particular operating system and API version, improve performing these tasks over a well-designed mobile web site?
    Why is BBM for Android an app?
    10-07-15 11:05 AM
    Why is BBM for Android an app?
    '

Because BlackBerry thinks that nostalgia for something people have chosen to abandon is a good business plan?

KAM
    10-07-15 11:09 AM
    You know, I am surprised to find myself thinking "why wait?" also. Rationally, my Z30 works fine, the UX is superior to Android or iOS... but... being a "rip the bandage off quickly" kind-of-guy, I wonder what I gain from sticking around? I haven't used an iPhone as my daily driver since the 3GS, so perhaps it wouldn't be so terrible: the Hub is a great convenience, but email is the vast majority of my communications, so effectively the "email app" can be like the "hub", but every time I get a text message or BBM and I have to "switch apps" to view the message that's gonna sting.
    Well, I really, REALLY like the Hub, and the general interface of the BlackBerry, but I don't think it is as intuitive as webOS was in 2009. However, I do like it. So, if I'm going to have to make a change, then I might as well consider all my options. By all reports the Priv, even with the "Hub" won't work the same, and if so...well, like you said--rip the band-aid off. I'm not going to downgrade to some half-baked abomination (if the experience ISN'T right--that is like BB10).

What other people are looking for with Android Apps--I don't see the need for myself. If I can run Word and Excel seamlessly--now that's something I'd be interested in. MAYBE windows phone will be a better experience there.

However, I have to admit--if I was still on my Z10, I would have a different priority to all this. I just got the Passport, and I like it, so I really don't want to dump it. BB10 MAY be good for a while, although if I'm honest with myself, we're already suffering under a path of Neglect that Chen has put us on a few years back. We know now we're slow-rolling into oblivion with BB10, so it's a lot like the Playbook all over again.

I don't want to spite myself any further for trusting BlackBerry as a company. I should have learned my lesson with the Playbook, but I don't want to throw my recently spent (stupidly as it turns out) money away either. But there's only so much neglect I'm going to be willing to take.

Windows phone however...yeesh--that could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. But it still might be preferred to giving Chen one more cent or going along with his plan to push me into Android. We will see, of course by the time BlackBerry actually releases the Priv it will probably be outdated with their "Top specs."

I am really wondering at this point why I had a sense of loyalty or hopes for BlackBerry in the first place. This company has done nothing but disappoint and neglect me as a customer and stockholder since I associated myself with it. Good riddance I suppose would be the best mindset.

KAM
    10-07-15 11:23 AM

I guess YouTube in the background (which, by the way, is possible on other platforms) isn't professional enough of a feature.

Where is it possible? Where?
    I was refering to actual multitasking process which is only possible in full on BlackBerry OS.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 11:58 AM
    I don't know that I'll end up finding Windows Phone acceptable or not, but it is definitely something to consider.
    The new Windows Phone 10 models look great. Makes me think twice about the Priv. I will have to see how the Priv gets reviewed.
    10-07-15 12:52 PM
    The new Windows Phone 10 models look great. Makes me think twice about the Priv. I will have to see how the Priv gets reviewed.
    They do, but I'm really not that familiar with the OS, so I've got a lot to learn about.

If I had more time and money, I'd try out all the different phones, just because it is interesting.

KAM
    10-07-15 01:15 PM
    I'm not into leather on phones but this just looks plain sexy to me. If anyone didn't know, Microsoft is getting my $649 for the 950XL. Leaks confirmed a removable 3340mah battery but I'm hoping to see slim extended batteries soon.

10-07-15 01:24 PM
    In specific cases, it improves upon the experience significantly BECAUSE its made for said platform.

My oft-used example is mobile check deposit. Goof luck with that on a full browser. That example can be expanded upon. Evernote is best consumed via app on mobile devices. It has built-in sharing, notification and (on specific platforms) quick action widgets. Try pulling in a snapshot into a note via browser on your tablet or phone. Yep...

One could go on and on. Apps are the manifestation of entities saying "we'll meet you where you are." Remember, it costs a lot of money to build and maintain an app.
    Not to mention that some apps aren't reliant an the Internet. I have a journal app, account/password storage app, along with many other apps that I can use without Internet. Sure if I want to sync this info to all my other phones then yeah I need Internet but having mobile sites rather than apps especially when there's no data coverage in your area can be an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MO3iusONE; 10-07-15 at 01:44 PM.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-07-15 01:33 PM

I don't understand how blackberry users like to brag about being able to listen to YouTube in the background. On many Samsung and LG devices you're able to have half the screen playing a YouTube video and the other browsing the Web it looking to emails.

There's also apps that allow you to play YouTube videos and resize the video while you do other things.

Hell there's also apps that allow you to download the entire YouTube video on your phone for offline play or even just download the audio rather than the video.

I don't understand why people keep saying android has no true multitasking.

10-07-15 01:38 PM
    Me too at first glance, then I remember proprietary cables, no SD cards, no file manager, irritating email interaction, and iTunes.

Posted via CB10
    This!
    10-07-15 01:40 PM
    please just put Android on a Passport and take all my monies
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-07-15 02:04 PM
    I can agree with that. People are demanding things. However, I think that "demand" is largely a created thing. People are TOLD that they "need" (and therefore demand) something quite often.

Apple, followed by Android TOLD people that they needed these things--with successful marketing, and that's what they think. It isn't necessarily a nefarious thing. It could be they simply found that thing that people always wanted and found a way to deliver it to them. BlackBerry has apparently miserably failed at that, and now their strategy is to say "but look, we can give you what you demand now too."

That is not the sort of thing that will turn around a company like BlackBerry. But we will see.

KAM
    A smartphone in of itself is a want. If I have this device that I spent a considerable amount of money on, I want it to work in the best way possible. Apps add to the things that a smartphone can do and the ease with which those things can be done. If I can choose between two smartphones that cost the same amount of money, but one allows me to download 25 apps that make my life easier and the other one doesn't, I'm picking the one that allows for the apps.

A car is a want. I don't need the windshield washer fluid container and mechanism for cleaning my windshield, but I want it. I would be loathe to buy a car in 2015 that didn't offer this. I could carry a bottle of glass cleaner and paper towels, and wash my windshield every time before I drove my car (i.e. own a smartphone without apps), but I don't want to do that because it would be very inconvenient.
    10-07-15 03:04 PM
    I think you're going to have these kind of people everywhere. Android fanboys use to criticize the iPhone 4 because of its glass back, because it's lack of removable battery, and lack of sd card now the newer Samsung devices have a glass back along with the song xperia line and nobody bats and eye. Newer and newer android devices are lacking removable batteries and expandable storage and these same android fanboys now somehow try to justify this.

You'll find these kind of people everywhere.. Not just with phones. But with cars, brands etc

I may have been somewhat of an Android fangirl, but I didn't criticize the iPhone 4 because of its glass back and my main issue with the lack of expandable storage on an iPhone 4 was Apple's $100 premium on an additional 16GB of storage (insane even in 2010). I owned an iPhone 4, so maybe that was why I didn't complain too loudly.

I did more than bat an eye at Samsung removing the replaceable battery and expandable storage, though. The Note 5 is the first Note phone that I didn't buy, specifically because Samsung took those features away. It was one thing that I loved about Samsung devices. I've bought many devices without a removable battery and expandable storage, but the devices that I used most and the company that I supported most was Samsung. Once they took away their differentiating factors, they fell down on my list of products to buy. I'm much more eager to try a Sony phone now that I won't have those two features anyway. I'm also reconsidering LG because some of their phones still have those features.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-07-15 03:18 PM
    in the near future apps will run 100% off the cloud and the so-called app ecosystems will become extinct because all you will need on your device is a web browser and an internet connection.
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    10-07-15 03:21 PM
    A smartphone in of itself is a want. If I have this device that I spent a considerable amount of money on, I want it to work in the best way possible. Apps add to the things that a smartphone can do and the ease with which those things can be done. If I can choose between two smartphones that cost the same amount of money, but one allows me to download 25 apps that make my life easier and the other one doesn't, I'm picking the one that allows for the apps.

A car is a want. I don't need the windshield washer fluid container and mechanism for cleaning my windshield, but I want it. I would be loathe to buy a car in 2015 that didn't offer this. I could carry a bottle of glass cleaner and paper towels, and wash my windshield every time before I drove my car (i.e. own a smartphone without apps), but I don't want to do that because it would be very inconvenient.
    I understand that people have made the choice that getting apps is worth losing other features (such as BB10 offers). For me, there are few apps that offer anything that trumps that. I am not sure I can name one 3rd Party App which has ever come close to the importance of the out-of-the-box features of my BlackBerry devices. Again that's me.

The Fact is--it WAS possible to have the best of both worlds, because BB10 COULD have pretty much any app written for it that any other platform could, so in my mind NOT having that (for a variety of reasons) will always be a lesser "solution".

To follow your car Analogy, you're desire to have a Windshield washer is a good one, but as I see it, it is trading that for an Engine that can get me where I want to go efficiently and reliably. Yes, I have a Clean windshield, but driving it is a bad experience.

Android is NOT the best of both worlds--it's a forced compromise build on failure (of BlackBerry the company)--one that was not an inevitable end. If it was, then BlackBerry management is an even bigger failure than I think, because they will have followed a path of certain failure for what...8 years.

It IS a failure, but didn't have to be one.

KAM
    10-07-15 03:28 PM
    Google Integration and certain apps. The fact that I need to use lucky patcher/patched playstore/gmaps patcher to get things like uber (with the ride split/destination input)/or Lyft to work is a pain in the ***.

Galaxy S6 Edge Plus is what I'm looking at as my next phone. Unless Google Play Services/Games becomes available on bb10. I'll miss some unique bb10 features no doubt but I'm sure I'll live.
    10-07-15 03:37 PM
    Android has more apps like those mentioned, by far. The question is will BlackBerry gain any market share, based on, having those apps more "secure" on a BlackBerry device.

Or, do people who don't care about security not mind having their banking information exposed?
    I use Android and wouldn't describe myself as someone who doesn't care about security. However, the security breach that happened with my banking information recently wasn't because of my banking on my phone, it was because the bank itself was hacked. People can care about security all that they want to but our information is always stored somewhere that is out of our control. The best defense that any consumer has is to have a swift reaction plan in place when (not if) a breach does happen, regardless of where/how it happens.
    10-07-15 04:06 PM
    Try to open YouTube, put on a song and do something else on iOS or Android, I don't think so.

Posted via CB10
    This was debunked (at least for Android) a long time ago on here. I'm not sure why this is still being used as a shortcoming on Android at this point.
    10-07-15 04:35 PM
367 ... 910111213 ...