1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    10-06-15 09:12 AM
    The facts are this, the DOW is on a bull run, it is above its 50-dma for the first time since mid-July. BlackBerry has staged a strong rally of its own heading for its 50-dma too. If you watched how trading went with 10 minutes to go for the past two days,, you would be in awe of the strength in BBRY. We saw heavy BUY volume come into the stock, each time it made a nominal new high at the close and heavy trading happened on market close which was triggered at 4:00 PM. In each case, the stock held onto it high of the day, so when is the last time we have seen such buying in BBRY, I can't remember. We also saw all day 5:1 volume bid/ask coverage in the stock as there sat a ton of buy orders throughout the two day rally. CJ pointed out $ 6.40/shr as our first resistance, we paused there two days ago and worked through that number, excellent call there. The next level would have been $ 6.60/shr and I don't know if that was mentioned by anyone but it is a spike low and as such resistance, we sat there all afternoon yesterday and worked through it too. Today, we have resistance at $ 6.80/shr at $ 7.00/shr and of course the 50-dma. BBRY looks as though it is strong on short covering as that PRIV is getting plenty of buzz and the last thing a short needs is good news that they can't control in the media. Sit back and see us move higher!

Perhaps we should have a 3-minute chart at the end of each day via JLagoon or CJ as I think this could be the start of some "BB10 like" interesting times for BB heading into that PRIV launch. Thanks
    Corbu, sidhuk, W Hoa and 19 others like this.
    10-06-15 09:24 AM
    Rookie style post.

So, I went to my bank website, desperatly seeking how I could trade BBRY within authorized places (mind you, I can only act on EU sites). So, I visited the tab named "Warrant" and found these two certificates. Obviously, one is targeting "Short" while the other "long"

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture1.png

I like the arrows directions and the red/green scheme, but that's pretty much it.
    I feel like a chicken who found a knife (that said, for a Spanish cow ... lol) and not able to press any button.
    I understand that a warrant is a contract you buy that will allow you to sell or buy at a fixed price.

But where I get a bit nervous is when I try to identify w/o doubt :
    - the "strike" value (if 1,27 / 2,33 I can barely link it to current SP even with currency change)
    - which is "call" and which is "put"
    - what is the expiration date
    - what is "stop loss"

What I guessed is (bullish approach)

1. I buy 100 Turbo Long Certificate (cost : 233 €)
    2. I set a sell order with an expiration date (say 1st of november) and a limit price, say 3 € (is that "my strike" ?)
    3. If my bid is successfull, then I win 300-233 = 67 € - if not, I lose my initial 233 €

Is that somehow close to reality ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-06-15 at 11:20 AM.
    rarsen, sidhuk, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    10-06-15 09:50 AM
    10-06-15 09:50 AM
    And another passing point, seek for your "magic numbers" !
    3 months to go before BBRY salutes again my anniversary (and next one is a decade one: you'd better push hard, John !) with another 52 week high !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    3MIKE, bungaboy and awindsr like this.
    10-06-15 09:58 AM
    Rookie style post.

So, I went to my bank website, desperatly seeking how I could trade BBRY within authorized places (mind you, I can only act on EU sites). So, I visited the tab named "Warrant" and found these two certificates. Obviously, one is targeting "Short" while the other "long"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1390 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	374658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	1386 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	374659

I like the arrows directions and the red/green scheme, but that's pretty much it.
    I feel like a chicken who found a knife (that said, for a Spanish cow ... lol) and not able to press any button.
    I understand that a warrant is a contract you buy that will allow you to seel or buy at a fixed price.

But where I get a bit nervous is when I try to identify w/o doubt :
    - the "strike" value (if 1,27 / 2,33 I can barely link it to current SP even with currency change)
    - which is "call" and which is "put"
    - what is the expiration date
    - what is "stop loss"

What I guessed is (bullish approach)

1. I buy 100 Turbo Long Certificate (cost : 233 €)
    2. I set a sell order with an expiration date (say 1st of november) and a limit price, say 3 € (is that "my strike" ?)
    3. If my bid is successfull, then I win 300-233 = 67 € - if not, I lose my initial 233 €

Is that somehow close to reality ?
    I really hope you are not considering Certificates, Superfly, they are complex in nature, nothing like Put/Call Options trading and are heavily leveraged and dynamic in nature as their leverage changes with availability and open interest or outstanding issues for each series. With BlackBerry as cheap as it is, I hope you stick with common shares for now and not leverage your exposure to these instruments. Having fore-warned you of the perils of Cert.s they look like a very interesting derivative play on common stock. The exposure to call/put options is limited to your initial investment, these contain multiples of leverage depending on the strike price versus current stock price and currency!. Crazy stuff!

How to trade certificates, derivatives, bonus, index | Fio banka
    10-06-15 10:21 AM
    10-06-15 10:31 AM
    Morgan, you're gold. I had only a slight idea about risks (wondered they were pretty heavy though) and your insights are precious.
    Thanks, a LOT.
    SF

O.T: this new MSFT surface book is just my next laptop. ASAP !
    http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...s-surface-book
    Corbu, OlympusMons, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    10-06-15 10:45 AM
    This board (and thread) is awesome! BBRY showing some great strength and comfirmation that US$6 was a bottom and it's poised to run higher from here. What I feel is that the bears and shorts are finally out of any sort of justifiable bad news and without any ammo to beat us down with. Cleaned up balance sheet, healthy cash reserves, multiple revenue sources, and the potential of hardware sales to complete the picture all point to a good steady run prior to the Priv's release.

OT:

I think oil is definitely recovering and I hope that some of you managed to bottom feed on some great companies such as ECA, CPG, and SU. If not, get in on the bio's/pharma's... another great buying opp today with a dip for no justifiable reason...HALO, TGTX, ACAD all look appetizing.
    10-06-15 11:13 AM
    Just saw the MSFT presentation, compare it with Google's and can't refrain remembering I'd have preferred a MSFT tandem. That Windows10 platform is going to be a tough opponent in the enterprise space (yes, for apps too. Office365 covers pretty much everything a worker needs).
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-06-15 at 12:52 PM.
    10-06-15 11:35 AM
    Just saw the MSFT presentation, compare it with Google's and can't refrain remembering I'd have preferred a MSFT tandem. That Windows10 platform is going to be a tough opponent in the enterprise space (yes, for apps too. Office365 covers pretty much everything a worker needs).
    Might be the best windows presentation ever. That laptop wow

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 11:37 AM
    I think Microsoft will continue to do make progress in the tablet/laptop space - looks like some impressive stuff. I'm not sure if you are implying that you would have preferred a BlackBerry phone with windows10, so please correct me if I'm misreading that, but I must respectfully disagree there. The more I've thought about the hardware division, the more clear it is to me that Android gives them a much more realistic chance at survival/modest growth. I really think that Microsoft won't make significant inroads in the smartphone platform battle. I mean the BYOD phenomenon is not going away and I'm just not convinced people will switch from Android/iOS to Windows10. Only my opinion. That is a cool looking laptop though, no question - thanks for the link.
    10-06-15 11:51 AM
    Starting to wonder if the Priv should not have been running Windows 10!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    10-06-15 11:51 AM
    Starting to wonder if the Priv should not have been running Windows 10!

If you have the choice, would you speak to the keyboard lovers over a less than 3% of the market or would you try to convince those of a 30 times bigger market?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 12:09 PM
    If you have the choice, would you speak to the keyboard lovers over a less than 3% of the market or would you try to convince those of a 30 times bigger market?

Posted via CB10
    This. And as I noted a few pages back, BlackBerry, or more accurately Chen, has stated that he's only interested in the hi-end market at this point.

Android gains marketshare from iOS in Q2 as 60% of its shipments hit under $200 off-contract | 9to5Mac

This link (which I've talked about before) is from Q214 IDC data and it has a helpful breakdown of platform by phone price. Windows is there with less than 20% of their phones (7.4 million in the Q) sold at greater than 400 dollars. So something less than 1.5 million phones fit that category if you do the math. Whereas, 51 million Android phones were sold at over 400.
    10-06-15 12:26 PM
    The timing for Android is still good of course.... I've been an Android user for over 4 years now and it's got a huge user base... But I think MS is coming back stronger than ever. Windows 8 was a flop for sure but I think it will stick this time around with 10. I have a few PCs and laptops that I have upgraded as many people did since it was free and the platform is really nice. I don't feel the need to use Google services as much since WIndows maps, search engines, cloud products have become SO much better... so Chrome now sadly seems outdated (already)
    That being said, I still use Android on my phone of course but it sucks having to go back and forth between platforms (which is one of the reasons Apple does so well with their iPhones, iPads, Mac's)
    I think it will be time for Google to respond now....
    10-06-15 12:32 PM
    I'm not sure if you are implying that you would have preferred a BlackBerry phone with windows10, so please correct me if I'm misreading that
    You didn't misread. That'll be my preference right now.
    But we knew (I've try to believe for a long time ...) when Chen made his statement about Windows Phone (not exact words) "pretty much totally unsecured".
    Again ,in the enterprise sphere AND with the same level of "top security" integration than Android (re: Knox, Google for work) and given what I feel using my recent W10 upgrade, it COULD have been a nice match, way more "natural" than the robot. As for the apps, once you have all the major ones like FaceBook Instagram and co (Google's even porting his maps and G+ to W10 platform), if you add Office365; what would you need more ? (me = nothing).
    I'm no blind and know that Android has a wider chance ATM ... but we might have to talk about it again in one or two years from now. And I'm really annoyed by Google dominance + privacy concerns.

Salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard : only my random thoughts.

P.S: have a nice evening, gang ! Time to roll the drums again !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-06-15 at 01:07 PM. Reason: sorry, had to add some stuff, a bit late.
    10-06-15 01:00 PM
    OT:
    Android 6.0 Marshmallow Review: Google Outsmarts Apple By Guessing Your Next Move - WSJ

Had to post, just for this comment!

No worries Android users Secured Android by BlackBerry PRIV. is on the way ! Security will be paramount !
    10-06-15 01:34 PM
    ''I don't believe you sell a company. Companies are bought."

If you ask me, there are some clear decisions made by BlackBerry management to not encourage clients to adopt Windows Platform. And this should make BlackBerry all the more attractive to potential suitors down the line. With BlackBerry soon having their own secure version of Android, and leaving Windows 10 in 4th place as to where their focus is in the MDM/EMM space, BBM Meetings having the potential to replace Skype, BlackBerry Blend enabling the replacement of some of the most critical applications running on Windows... they only need to gain some traction in one of these areas and then Microsoft will start paying attention. For example, look at the QNX deal with Ford replacing Windows in their infotainment system. That was a lot of bad press for them. Of course, if Microsoft shows interest, and Google likes BlackBerry as their partner for enterprise, then all the better. As for now, I wouldn't be too afraid for Windows 10 and the impact it will have on BlackBerry. As long as Microsoft doesn't gain a considerable traction in the MDM/EMM space (in which they only support Windows, iOS and Android btw), then I don't see what BlackBerry has to lose against Microsoft. Especially with BlackBerry going after the IoT space.
    10-06-15 02:03 PM
    I believe they're not on the same market. Still the 'all in one' scheme that was BlackBerry's mantra could arguably become Microsoft's. Add the statement of Chen about 'free EMM' and I'm close to believe he knows that too. Somehow reassuring since he probably balanced the choice (if any) and made a decision in the other direction.

I don't believe MSFT will perform full throttle that soon anyways. So short mid term I'm not discussing the strategic choice...
    That's just that I *feel* more at home with MS than Google.
    Somehow taste and colors, or emotional thinking. OT, maybe !

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    10-06-15 03:06 PM
    http://www.cnet.com/news/russia-orde...-android-apps/

Russian authorities have given Google a November 18 deadline to stop bundling its own apps with its Android software for mobile phones and tablets.

By installing its apps on all phones that run Android, Google is abusing its dominant position in the Russian market, ruled the country's Federal Antimonopoly Service in September. The Mountain View, California, company's contractual requirements for device makers to install Google apps makes it hard for competitors to gain a foothold against the Internet giant, the agency said.

"To restore competition on the market, Google should amend agreements with mobile-device producers within a month and exclude the anticompetitive clauses that limit installment of apps and services by other developers," the FAS said Monday, according to a translation of the agency's statement. Google could face fines of up to 15 percent of its 2014 revenue from preinstalled apps in Russia if it fails to make changes by the November deadline.

The decision doesn't directly affect people outside Russia, but it could be a preview of what's to come. The European Commission is investigating whether Google has undermined competition with Android, and a similar investigation is reportedly under way now in the United States.

The change required in Russia could dramatically alter the look of Android, which powers more than 80 percent of the world's smartphones. Core features like email, navigation and search could play a totally different role in the operating system. The same applies to Web browsing, music and the suite of Google Drive apps that for many are an integral part of the Android experience.

The Antimonopoly Service launched its investigation in February based on a complaint lodged against Google by Russian search and online services rival Yandex. The competition authority found Google violated federal rules in the middle of September.

In its response, Google said manufacturers and Android device owners may stray from the Google path if they want. "Device makers are free to use Android with or without Google applications and consumers have complete freedom to use rival applications," a Google representative said. The company didn't say how it would respond to the Russian demands.

Even if phone makers have that freedom, it's nearly impossible to find an Android smartphone that has been shipped without Google apps.

Android phones and tablets are made by established tech titans like Samsung and Sony, and Chinese upstarts like Huawei and Xiaomi. Each company usually layers some of its own software over the top of Android, which Google lets anyone use and modify for free.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 04:13 PM
    OK...Apple and Microsoft have done their announcements... Now Blackberry's turn.. Anyone have any idea when this is coming??

CDM76 likes this.
    10-06-15 05:24 PM
    OK...Apple and Microsoft have done their announcements... Now Blackberry's turn.. Anyone have any idea when this is coming??

My guess is Chen will discuss and give us a date and price when he speaks at Re/code tomorrow and/or Thursday. Just a guess on my part though.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:46 PM
113,256 ... 35933594359535963597 ...