For me personally there is no appeal to Android outside the apps selection and NFC payments like Android Pay, etc. You can't even get the Square register app in BB World. I had to install a work around on my computer so I could download the app and then load it up on my Z30.
    10-05-15 10:35 PM
    Let's not kid ourselves here, Android Flagships offer a lot more than Apps over BB10 devices.
    Better Cameras
    Better Screen
    Fingerprint reader
    Better everyday performance.
    And lastly, more choice of a device to cater to your needs. Wether it is a low end for simple tasks or a performance beast for the geeks.
    Many people on this forum for exemple have been waiting for an all touch for 2 years now and still their needs haven't been met.

Let's not forget that Blackberry is in this position in the first place because of how old management thought they would dictate what the consumers need or not instead of innovating.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-05-15 11:02 PM
    Android is the platform of choice of "techies". There are more cyanogenmod users out there than BB10 users. Don't like something for the OS, there is a high chance you can change/remove it. Android can be whatever you need it to be.
    Hmm. I'm a techie, and I don't really know how to root an Android Device. I have seen the steps, but all that is going on through my head is, 'What the F***?" . BB10 made it easy to upgrade OS's with their leaks. That's one of the things I miss about having a BB10 device.

IF Priv is all that it turns out to be, I may consider it instead of my newly Note 5 device.
    10-05-15 11:06 PM
    The main attraction for me is the community of hobbyists that have built itself around the Android platform; XDA developers alone are 6M+ strong. I mean, Android has been at the point for a few years now where if Google were to step away from Android OS 100% this community is strong enough to keep it going through the real AOSP. And if Google, Samsung, BlackBerry, et al, do not do it, one of these hobbyists will find a solution or in the least point you into the right direction if possible.

Mac OSX has something similar and also with iOS to the lesser degree oddly enough, but nothing like this really exists for BlackBerry outside of perhaps five people.

I imagine some of these hobbyists to gravitate towards the Priv and find cool new ways to use the capacitive physical keyboard, for example.
    Xaiux likes this.
    10-05-15 11:28 PM
    The main attraction for me is the community of hobbyists that have built itself around the Android platform; XDA developers alone are 6M+ strong. I mean, Android has been at the point for a few years now where if Google were to step away from Android OS 100% this community is strong enough to keep it going through the real AOSP. And if Google, Samsung, BlackBerry, et al, do not do it, one of these hobbyists will find a solution or in the least point you into the right direction if possible.

Mac OSX has something similar and also with iOS to the lesser degree oddly enough, but nothing like this really exists for BlackBerry outside of perhaps five people.

I imagine some of these hobbyists to gravitate towards the Priv and find cool new ways to use the capacitive physical keyboard, for example.
    Good point. XDA is definitely a benefit.
    10-05-15 11:45 PM
    I retired my Z10 a while ago and am using an HTC M8 now.

I didn't really want to do it, and I really miss the Blackberry10 OS but it was time. And the main reason is the reason you said not to count. App support. Let me just list a bunch of reasons.

1. (APP RELATED) Peripherals - I have 4 peripherals. One works with BB10, the other 3 do not. The GoPro works with the Android app. But I have a car peripheral, a watch, and a home automation peripheral that I don't think work with BB10.
    2. (APP RELATED) Games - There's a game I play religiously. iOS and Android only.
    3. (APP RELATED) Glympse - The morons at BB decided to bring Glympse onto BB10 but only through BBM. Meaning all my friends without BBM (namely all except one who is slowly ready to give it up too) cannot be Glympsed from my BB10 device.
    4. (APP RELATED) Social Media - No Snapchat. No LINE (though this one works with the Android app, but not well).
    5. (APP RELATED) Reminder program - Reminder on BB10 is horrible compared to the options on Android.
    6. (APP RELATED) Maps - Google Maps destroys BBMaps.
    7. (APP RELATED) Yelp - Can run on BB10 but doesn't work well
    8. Camera - The Z10 camera sucks. No ifs about it.
    9. Voice commands - I rarely use them, but they work a ton better on Android.

In place of that Blackberry 10 has FAR superior multitasking. And a far superior notification system and finally more consistent performance. Android tends to get bogged down over time. I'm suffering from it now.

Honestly, if every phone OS had access to all hardware configurations and all apps, my first choice would be the long dead webOS, then BB10, then Android a distant third. Don't discount the importance of an app store. It's one of the most important aspects.
    10-06-15 12:19 AM
    Till this moment, i'm still unable to understand why the PRIV could appeal to normal or even hardcore Android and Apple fans and have them consider switching their devices. people are driven by the force of habit to follow what their currently labeled phones producers are releasing, let alone the resistance to change and the price tag the PRIV is coming with ($800!!!).

What is the appeal for non Blackberry users? people carrying Samsungs, LGs, Apples and such? Security? i highly doubt it, regular users doesn't know squat about what that even means and trust me the majority doesn't care. is it the keyboard? ya that might be appealing to some but not many. the design? i highly doubt it also, other manufacturers are pushing more shiny thin devices that may look better. from where i come from, phones are a fashion accessory and the specs on the phone or what it can actually do other than take photos, run Facebook and send Whatsapp messages doesn't matter much, resale value is also a big deal because as soon as a new upgrade hits the market, people would want it more than they want their next breath! and the sad part is that they wouldn't know why.

As mentioned by many above, apps are a big deal for everyone except for most of the people reading this website and forum, whom purchase a device based on it's actual communications capabilities.

If Blackberry want's to gain a bigger chunk of the market, i don't believe that the PRIV is the answer as it only serves a minority, i believe that they should invest more in convincing developers to cook native apps, everyone is doing it, Microsoft, even Canonical!! invest in Cameras, device designs more appealing to the masses and other crap OBVIOUSLY! people care about other than battery life, security, productivity, signal strength and clear voice communications.

I like all platforms and i believe that each one of them has it's advantages and it excels in it in certain areas, i chose the Blackberry Passport, and the Z10, Q10, Z30, and many of the legacy devices for the obvious rational reasons, but there are other irrational reasons which is obviously dictating the market nowadays, i think this is what Blackberry should focus on to attract more customers.

No offence to anyone and happy BB-ing everyone. Cheers!
    10-06-15 04:04 AM
    Let's not kid ourselves here, Android Flagships offer a lot more than Apps over BB10 devices.
    Better Cameras
    Better Screen
    Fingerprint reader
    It's not thank to the OS. But yeah, I agree with that. Better camera and fingerprint reader would be nice. (Screens are fine as it is IMO, I din't see a point of 8k resolution on a phone other than battery drain)
    Better everyday performance.
    ha.
    haha.
    ahhahahhahahahhahahahaha.
    yes.
    For the first month.
    Then lags.
    Android flagships might be powerful, but the OS would lag after a while even on a NASA supercomputer.
    And lastly, more choice of a device to cater to your needs. Wether it is a low end for simple tasks or a performance beast for the geeks.
    Many people on this forum for exemple have been waiting for an all touch for 2 years now and still their needs haven't been met.
    Unfortunately, BB in it's current form just can't release 15 new phones each year.
    Let's not forget that Blackberry is in this position in the first place because of how old management thought they would dictate what the consumers need or not instead of innovating.
    Yeah, they forgot they aren't Apple. This was a harsh lesson.
    10-06-15 06:04 AM
    There is no appeal to Android. It was designed by Google as a Trojan horse OS for the purpose of data mining.
    neo158 likes this.
    10-06-15 08:13 AM
    When you never advertise, it's hard to educate people on a product.

Posted via CB10
    By educate you mean telling people to shell out $600 for a feature phone. yes bb phone are feature phones since they do not have the software(apps) to make it a smartphone.
    10-06-15 09:01 AM
    By educate you mean telling people to shell out $600 for a feature phone. yes bb phone are feature phones since they do not have the software(apps) to make it a smartphone.
    Was the first (and second) iphone a feature phone? Or all early android phones when there were just few apps in google play store? How many apps do you have to have for your device for it to be considered a smartphone? Million apps = smartphone, 999999 apps = feature phone? You have to draw the line somewhere
    10-06-15 09:20 AM
    There is no appeal to Android. It was designed by Google as a Trojan horse OS for the purpose of data mining.
    Fear not, your tinfoil hat will protect you!
    10-06-15 09:28 AM
    From Blackberry's perspective, an astounding reduction in development costs by going to a platform paid for by Google. My guess is BB will reduce their OS costs by 90%. They will only have a few custom applications to maintain (the HUB, their custom security solution, BBM, etc.) The rest gets left to Google.

For Blackberry, it means a chance at survival.
    But BlackBerry apparently isn't done with their OS. So even though I imagine a large portion of users will be using BlackBerry with Android they still aren't reducing the OS costs by 90% because they are still developing it.
    10-06-15 10:05 AM
    Was the first (and second) iphone a feature phone?
    Compared to current devices? Just about...

You do make a valid point though.
    10-06-15 10:20 AM
    Hmm. I'm a techie, and I don't really know how to root an Android Device. I have seen the steps, but all that is going on through my head is, 'What the F***?" . BB10 made it easy to upgrade OS's with their leaks. That's one of the things I miss about having a BB10 device.

IF Priv is all that it turns out to be, I may consider it instead of my newly Note 5 device.
    I'm not a techie but also not a dope. I rooted my HP Touchpad & installed cyanogen mod Android OS & saved the beautifully constructed device from the boneyard.

If I get the Priv & BlackBerry fiddles with android so much as to make it slow & a mess, I would hope their KB driver is available so I could follow the same route & pu on REAL android...
    kbz1960 and Xaiux like this.
    10-06-15 10:24 AM
    But BlackBerry apparently isn't done with their OS. So even though I imagine a large portion of users will be using BlackBerry with Android they still aren't reducing the OS costs by 90% because they are still developing it.
    Unless all they're really doing now with BB10 is paying a skeletal team to do security patches and critical bug fixes. If that's the case, and I believe it is, then they really have dramatically reduced their costs.

I think most of this cost cutting has already happened, which is how they come close to break even with only $500M in revenue.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
    10-06-15 10:44 AM
    Hardware reasons: full touch AND full slide out keyboard!!!! Also, major cool specs to go along with that sliding keyboard.
    Software reasons: Less Andriod app lag, Google services, more available apps and more able to connect to third party hardware

My hopes for the Priv are that the following are preserved from BB10: Peek & flow, BB Hub, all the cool BBRY shortcuts and tricks, all the hub integrations and security. I will wait to purchase, waiting to see if these BB features are included. I sure hope so, because I loved my Torch and want the Priv to be my work horse phone.

For the record: Not a fan of the name, but I don't have to call it by name. It's a Blackberry! And BBRY makes the best phones for messaging power users.
    10-06-15 12:45 PM
    will the gmail app on the priv be the default email app or will we see the likes of the hub on it?
    10-06-15 12:55 PM
    This is ******** by bb. Yes ********.. Hahahahaha, the board doesn't even allow typing of the word re. To the ****, to the ness. In all it's lack of political correctedness. Bb have never had class leading tech phones, why in the world makes them think they can now all of sudden simply because they dropped bb10... They never launched a class leading tech spec phone with bb10...

So they launch a android device and they think it will save them.. Apple is lost in how to make the iPhone better.. Samsung is stagnant, the whole advancement via tech is gone.. Future advancements are via OS! Like BBOS was, Like iOS was.. Kind of like Android was.. The next quantum leap is so not processor speed, movie specs etc. it's all been done.

Bb are soooo lost without the big 2 at the helm, financial CEOs kill companies for a big payout. The board distorted bb, just like they did booting jobs out original.. Lack of vision...

As ok as a device as the priv may become, it won't be anything more then a patchwork of crap security in a era where people have just accepted there is Jo such thing as privacy, security etc. so the 16-30 years old won't give a hoot about so called Perceived Security.. So why would they buy th priv, android could care less about a pkb. Wow, the board is fully dysfunctional now vs just distorted with whole z10 planning..
    10-06-15 12:57 PM
    For me, I want a phone that has a good app store, good camera and an OS that is not an orphan.

Posted via CB10
    Long time dedicated BlackBerry user here, and slowly but surely, I'm adopting this philosophy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-06-15 01:03 PM
    Here is the USA, apps are how folks get things done, everything from banking, social media and even custom apps dominate the market here.

I see more commercials and advertising about using apps for ordering pizza, paying bills, buying cars and the list goes on and on. This is 2015 and not 2006 and that's just the way it is whether you choose to accept it or not.
    So buy an iPhone. The app ecosystem on iOS is very clearly superior to Android in quality if not quantity.

I'll also note that Android has 0 next generation apps along the lines of the Blendy apps Mike L and Thor envisioned and the Universal Apps that Windows 10 mobile makes a reality now. Android is a current leader in low cost devices with a currently strong ecosystem, but it doesn't seem particularly well-positioned for the future. Sad to see BlackBerry give up a shot at the future in order to become another Android OEM.

I'll also note that the recent quarterly earnings report pretty much confirmed that all you BlackBerry haters who said the company should overinvest in enterprise software solutions and neglect mobile computing and handsets were simply *wrong*. The EMM/MDM market did not grow as much as it needed to and BlackBerry's revenues are down to a fraction of where they were under Thor. Sure, devices didn't sell very well, but they sold like hotcakes considering the company's neglect. BB10 had a real shot, the Board just hired the wrong guy and people around here who want to use Android devices with the name BlackBerry on them so that they can feel like BlackBerry users are clown. Go buy a Sony Xperia X5 or Moto X Pure -- it'll be better than the Priv and more Android for you.
    10-06-15 01:05 PM
    I will miss being able to minimize music, browser, youtube, etc. while still having the sound play. This is a huge deal for me and android doesn't do it (last i checked).
    Using the MSFT suite of apps is a big reason i am excited about this phone. BB10 can't run them very smoothly.
    10-06-15 01:33 PM
    Instead of everyone and his mother reason to get a Priv or stay with BB10, I would prefer to see the actual percentage of people passing to Android versus the ones sticking to BlackBerry 10 OS.

This would get an interesting insight of what's happening after november, given that there's 10 millions BlackBerry 10 users out there and OTOH a lot of people willing to come back to BlackBerry thanx to the green robot...
    10-06-15 01:39 PM
    What is the appeal of Android outside of app selection?

Absolutely nothing. BB10 will go down in history as one of the greatest mobile OS that was killed by a lack of apps. I love BB10 and I hate what Google is doing with their Play Services to ruin any chance for BB10 to flourish. I don't blame them though. Any other major company would do the same.

I can only be left to imagine what the current mobile OS top two would have been if BlackBerry launched a Z10 to compete with the original iPhone, instead of the failed Storm.
    10-06-15 02:59 PM
    Instead of everyone and his mother reason to get a Priv or stay with BB10, I would prefer to see the actual percentage of people passing to Android versus the ones sticking to BlackBerry 10 OS.

This would get an interesting insight of what's happening after november, given that there's 10 millions BlackBerry 10 users out there and OTOH a lot of people willing to come back to BlackBerry thanx to the green robot...
    There are not 10's of millions of BB10 users and many of these want an all touch and or have just upgraded from BBOS in the past two years. It is not just apps it is also hardware and there are some great new phones out there.

Ask yourself ,as a consumer, if an untried BlackBerry and potentially unreliable phone is the way to go. It is going to be a hard sell.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 03:23 PM
367 ... 7891011 ...