Unless the bb10 device runs encrypted & on BES, it is no more secure than any other. Without certain apks the phone is far from useful. this fanboy rant is a joke.
    Last edited by patapoof; 10-05-15 at 09:19 PM.
    10-05-15 03:24 PM
    just exactly how are all those apps designed to erode your privacy? FYI you can have android without google services (see amazon fire series) so blackberry could build its own secure version of Android.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk
    A lot of things get stated with a certainty that is scary in its absoluteness.
    10-05-15 03:30 PM
    Its just apps. Although, I started using the shortcuts to get to my bank and other websites faster. It works very well. I think though that its the apps that are missing that cause the problem. If BB would only convince the top 100 apps from each category (banking, social media, games) etc to port to and support BB10, then BB10 would be successful. That and spend some money on advertising. One thing BB could do is to do a sweepstakes for app developers. Every month an app developer is selected at random and gets $10,000 dollars. That would make more developers support bb10.. Just thinking out loud here.
    10-05-15 03:40 PM
    One thing BB could do is to do a sweepstakes for app developers. Every month an app developer is selected at random and gets $10,000 dollars. That would make more developers support bb10.. Just thinking out loud here.
    They already did something like this when BB10 was launching, several times actually.
    10-05-15 04:30 PM
    The real reason BlackBerry is moving to Android was revealed in an interview John Chen gave recently. No one seems to have listened too carefully though.

Qualcomm etc. won't write the driver software for BB10 for their new chips - so BB would have to pay. Mr Chen more or less admitted this was a cost too far.
    10-05-15 04:42 PM
    The real reason BlackBerry is moving to Android was revealed in an interview John Chen gave recently. No one seems to have listened too carefully though.

Qualcomm etc. won't write the driver software for BB10 for their new chips - so BB would have to pay. Mr Chen more or less admitted this was a cost too far.
    If only Qualcomm knew how amazing, wonderful, powerful, awe-inspiring, and great BB10 is...

None of that matters without a cpu and drivers haha.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    10-05-15 04:55 PM
    Google Now on Tap; 3rd Party accessory support, i.e Pebble, Android Wear, Jawbone, etc; a generally better UI (personal preference); full suite of Google services; customization;

Those are the ones I can think off the top of my head.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-05-15 04:59 PM
    Absolutely no appeal for me outside of apps. I hate the UI - it has always sucked to varying degrees. I used to say app crashes were a big problem, but that problem has spread to iOS pretty badly as well.
    10-05-15 05:14 PM
    If the Passport is not updated to fix some of the problems such as apps crashing, then iSheep would get my money before Android. I got rid of my S4 due to viruses. I have not heard of anyone on an iPhone complaining of viruses.
    Maybe because they don't know about it? There's been a few ios virusses the last couple of weeks, one for rooted devices and a complete hacked or fake app store filled with hacked apps with trojans for example...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 05:16 PM
    Maybe, but realistically how many BlackBerry's are being purchased by Enterprise. Outside of Toronto big business, not very many. My guesstimate is about 10 percent.

Posted via CB10
    That's why they only sold 800,000 last quarter and need to make the drastic move to a BlackBerry/Android phone, unless, you don't want BlackBerry to make devices anymore.

I think Chen is approaching his last nerve on this....he said "10 million annual device sales - to break even" and they ain't close to that...
    10-05-15 05:16 PM
    Consumers care. With regards fyi being connected, there are tradeoffs, and the general consumer consensus seems to be that BlackBerry doesn't provide enough pros to justify the cons with regards to using BlackBerry devices.

And, from an uncomfortably practical point of view, no entity "needs" anything. If they did, BBRY would be able to name its own price for the product it provides. There are alternatives, and BBRY is unwilling -- wisely IMHO -- to hang its hat on the theory that it is needed.

Maybe BlackBerry itself realizes something we would rather not.
    Some government agencies, in the USA at least, Department of Defense etc require certain high levels of security certifications......BlackBerry, typically, has the highest possible...Apple wishes.....Knox....no....
    10-05-15 05:19 PM
    You can explain just about every decision John Chen has ever made as CEO of BlackBerry by attributing it to cost cutting. Android is attractive to him because he doesn't have to pay to have it developed like he is doing with BB10. This also means that BB10 will only be around as long as it costs very little to maintain. There might even be more BB10 hardware if some manufacturer will take on the risk of production and inventory.
    freddysrevng3 likes this.
    10-05-15 05:22 PM
    Some government agencies, in the USA at least, Department of Defense etc require certain high levels of security certifications......BlackBerry, typically, has the highest possible...Apple wishes.....Knox....no....
    Which one? I think you'd be surprised at what certs the other platforms have. POTUS does use IOS.
    10-05-15 05:50 PM
    It seems like the majority of Blackberry users I know who are getting a new phone are getting Android. It seems like a natural grab that has a few angles (from a marketing perspective). 1) Android phone with Blackberry Security, check. 2) Blackberry hardware and security with more apps, check. 3) Android phone with physical keyboard, check.

The most oft-cited reason I've heard for people NOT wanted BB is apps (apparently you can't have too many soundboards and fart buttons).
    10-05-15 05:54 PM

The most oft-cited reason I've heard for people NOT wanted BB is apps (apparently you can't have too many soundboards and fart buttons).
    Native fart apps is the one area BBW excelled. I suspect it had more per capita than any other platform
    10-05-15 05:57 PM
    Then what is the purpose of BlackBerry concentrating on "security" for the consumer marketplace if Android users, and clearly iPhone users, don't care about a higher level of it?
    PRIV as in Privacy.
    Not SEC as in Security.
    Still, I do hope this device will be locked (only signed sys files allowed).

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 06:32 PM
    I have enough time and frustration invested in my wife's Android devices to know that it holds little appeal to me. I will agree that people want apps. I have all the apps I really need and do not find myself "drooling" over the latest app from wherever. And as little as I use Android apps I really find them to work sufficiently well and have never found a problem with not having Google Services. As for the customizability of the BB version of Android may be a challenge because of the secure kernel they plan on applying. And as someone stated, for security the bootloader will most likely be locked down making further hampering rooting the device. That said, I personally feel this is Beta vs VHS all over again. I feel that BB10 does exactly what I need and most of what I want, and it does it better than Android (don't get me started on the other fruit company). I can only hope that something breaks BB's way sometime soon and we get to keep the OS.
    10-05-15 07:24 PM
    bb10 is unique as was webOS both gesture driven & innovative & both fraught with paucity in the respective app store & both mortally wounded by that, one dead (sadly), the other hanging ten...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-05-15 07:32 PM
    Not resulting in noticeable sales. Not enough to support BB10 unless they charge very high prices.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 07:38 PM
    I don't see any other reason to team with android other than apps. I wouldn't even be considering the android OS if I had the same app availability as IOS and android. I don't think BlackBerry would be teaming with android if they had the app availability as the other OS offerings. I love BB10 OS, bummed I don't have the app selection.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 07:50 PM
    My first five phones were BlackBerry's with keyboard. The only thing that got me off BlackBerry was the horrible slow browser and not willing to wait out introduction of OS10 or even if BlackBerry was going to survive. I had a Nexus 4 and the UI never felt intuitive to me. I hated the virtual keyboard, I hate any virtual keyboard compared to a physical keyboard. The only virtual keyboard that I felt happy with was the swiping variety. I also wanted all the App possibilities we all hear about on Android. As fast as I tried out Android Apps then I deleted them. Why? Because Android is so immersive that there were no Apps that I needed other then what Android was able to provide. I don't use games. The Android screen where Apps are held open is a joke. It fills with almost unlimited 'cards' stacked on top each other and all I ever did was spend time deleting them. I still have the Nexus 4 and just tonight pulled it out to keep it updated. I was glad to get back to my Passport. Android notifications is OK but is simply info bars that drop down. It's like it was an after thought and anyone that gets lots of incoming email, texts, facebook notifications or messages, etc then the BlackBerry HUB is unsurpassed. I totally get it that for BlackBerry to stay in hardware it must create a market for phones within Android. I get that and agree and I also hope that the idea works so that BlackBerry can continue to make and sell BlackBerry phones running OS10! I did a cursory review of Android Marshmallow and it seems to only do tweeks to Lollipop and isn't a major fork. If you love Android and love a physical keyboard then you should be very happy with the Priv. I'm not going buy a Priv with Android. I believe hard users of OS10 will come to hate Android and will feel it is 'sloppy', not as tight as OS10. I believe those on Android will learn to love the PKB if they do any serious typing. This is the best hope for Priv are those who are on Android and who want the PKB and know that BlackBerry phones are solid phones!
    Last edited by mawil1013; 10-05-15 at 08:53 PM.
    10-05-15 08:38 PM
    mirrorlink, scripting, dnsblocking, proper VPN support built in, better exchange sync, better push services built in... all of that being said, and that's a small amount, the app advantage is too large to ignore, it's not trivial. I do work for multi million dollar businesses who would love the security advantages of BlackBerry but can't use the platform because tools they rely on simply do not exist on BB.
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    10-05-15 08:45 PM
    Unless the bb10 device runs encrypted . I on BES, it is no no secure than any other. Without certain apks the phone is far from useful. this fanboy rant is a joke.
    So I hear people say this, but perhaps you could explain in more detail? I assume you are knowledgeable with the OS and it's security features (or lack of).Are you referring to privacy, as well as security, or do you consider them seperate?

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that the ability to set permissions on native apps and the fact that android apps can only access certain parts of the OS would make it more secure. I also thought there was some verification of components at startup. Can you verify what happens in the BlackBerry 10 boot sequence. I would like to understand that there is no security benefit there?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 08:53 PM
    Nor am I anywhere near an expert at bb10, a vanishing breed returned to the wild so I hear. If bb10 were so amazingly secure, then why does BES exist?

So I hear people say this, but perhaps you could explain in more detail? I assume you are knowledgeable with the OS and it's security features (or lack of).Are you referring to privacy, as well as security, or do you consider them seperate?

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that the ability to set permissions on native apps and the fact that android apps can only access certain parts of the OS would make it more secure. I also thought there was some verification of components at startup. Can you verify what happens in the BlackBerry 10 boot sequence. I would like to understand that there is no security benefit there?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 09:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    If one really wants, it's possible to manage permissions on Android.

It doesn't answer your question, but I figured that it was relevant.
    10-05-15 09:37 PM
367 ... 678910 ...