Let's see: every banking app, Zipcar, Uber, NYTimes (doesn't work properly, can't save articles, functionality no longer supported), WSJ, CBC, most news apps, ADT product suite, every airline application, no Blackberry travel doesn't count, Spotify, Soundhound and Soundcloud, limited functionality Google Chat, Google Maps, Skype and Paypal. All Health and Fitness applications, MYFitness suite, gym apps, Fitbit suite, Under Armour etc.

And my personal favorite the NFL Mobile app which was retired by send out a fake update that loops.

Q10 user and Blackberry user since the RiM900

Posted via CB10
    Just curious, what is crippled in soundhound and Skype? I use both and wouldn't know what might be missing since I don't use them on any other platform.
    10-05-15 07:15 AM
    There is a huge app gap and I'm not even a big user of apps.
    A few apps that I used previously won't work on my BlackBerry because it relies on Google Play Services.
    Sure, one of the apps I can use the browser version, but it's much harder to use than using the app.
    Can you please explain why it is much harder to use the browser version if there is one? I understand if the app has no equivalent on a PC/MAC.

I for one always use the desktop apps over the mobile ones if both are available on the Passport. For newspaper and news apps I prefer the desktop website. The mobile website is so lacking in information.

Same goes for bank apps, contrary to what other people say.
    On the Passport, it is always much better to use desktop browser apps.
    I understand if you have a smaller screen, but why do people actually want to go to a full PC screen and website for most serious work and booking hotels, travel, etc?
    Even my kids who use android and apple phones go to their MACS to book travel.
    10-05-15 07:26 AM
    Having used both Android, iOS and BlackBerry anyone who says the gap isn't that bad is in denial and you're not helping the company. No one who's used any other phone including Windows Phone would choose the app experience and selection that BlackBerry has to offer.

Side loading Android apps has proven to be buggy and unreliable even with the Amazon App store. Slack which is an app I use for corporate communications is slow and unresponsive when I use the snap version. How about the "Google Authenticator" app for 2 step authentication? What about Uber or Lyft? What about banking apps?

Also what about push notifications?
    dreamstate7 likes this.
    10-05-15 07:44 AM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 08:00 AM
    The smartphone, BlackBerry anyway was initially designed for high-function corporate professionals. Respond to emails, change flights, perform banking functions etc., from one device. Of course I can sit at a PC and do everything, but then why have a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 08:02 AM
    I desired for years BB
    and for years I have bought Android and Apple devices for the fear app
    today finally own a passport and no gap!
    the android emulatin is fine!
    BB is the better device!
    10-05-15 08:15 AM
    Uber has been mentioned a few times in this thread. I wanted to share my experience with an app in the Beta Zone called Uper. I used it for the first time this past Friday with great success. I'm not sure if I'm missing something in comparison to iOS or Android versions of Uber but for me it was perfect. I got it from the Blackberry Beta Zone, give it a go.
    10-05-15 08:36 AM
    Yeah, I agree I carry a white Q10 which I use it to send umpteen emails & other productive things.Recently, while making a inter-city journey I badly wanted use uber/ola but, the apps were simply weren't there(I had make a phone call and hail a local cab).In these times, for an average consumer this looks quite absurd.This is one of the many shortcomings in the apps ecosystem which BBRY simply can't overcome unless they sell their devices in large no.s.As everyone understands that is just a dream & will stay as a dream for ever!.BBRY android foray(somehow I think it can turn out be best android device when it is released) admittedly can break the apps deficiency to a large extent but, sincerely doubt BBRY can sell 'priv' in large no.s to make a semblance of impact
    10-05-15 08:59 AM
    Can you please explain why it is much harder to use the browser version if there is one? I understand if the app has no equivalent on a PC/MAC.

I for one always use the desktop apps over the mobile ones if both are available on the Passport. For newspaper and news apps I prefer the desktop website. The mobile website is so lacking in information.

Same goes for bank apps, contrary to what other people say.
    On the Passport, it is always much better to use desktop browser apps.
    I understand if you have a smaller screen, but why do people actually want to go to a full PC screen and website for most serious work and booking hotels, travel, etc?
    Even my kids who use android and apple phones go to their MACS to book travel.
    For the most part, apps are tailored to the OS. You get stuff like direct deposit which isn't available on desktop sites.

Notifications, inter-app operability, more secure mobile protocols and more. Mobile websites generally have better layouts.

And, you still have the full website if needed. Options, options, options.
    10-05-15 09:58 AM
    After recently switching to iOS full-time, I think the gap app is HUGE!
    10-05-15 10:45 AM
    Kijiji app, Nest app now have google services in there latest versions making updating them difficult. I"m now stuck patching every update or have to stay with the older version.... this google services cancer seems to be creeping in on every play store app. Amazon is so screwed with there hardware. As an side note, this google service thing is a monopoly practice to shut out third party app stores like mobile1 and amazon app store.
    10-05-15 11:10 AM
    The question begs a deeper look at what it all really means. To begin with perspective comes into play in how one views the situation. I have to have two working apps that qualify as a deal breaking problem.
    These are:
    1) Phone
    2) Email
    In my perspective the BB10 OS delivers. I do have other apps and a fair percentage of these are Android. I can live without them because apps are really just widgets that bypass the Web and in some cases add functionality. If an app does not work I have to, gasp, perform that task via phone or in person. It is after all a phone with added capabilities. And no device, regardless of the MFG, does everything well.

I am not a luddite and I have used nearly every platform our there. I just see a huge problem with expecting convergence devices to be all to all. It is not possible. An example I can offer is when I write. I have written several books on both my Bold and Z10. I write also on my PlayBook with a BT keyboard. It is not the best experience but it works well enough to get me by. A typewriter or laptop is the better experience and the better set of tools. I do see the reality of the banking issue but when I used to move for work every year if a bank did not have a local branch I simply opened up another account and life continued on as expected.

There are ways to manage life that exist beyond a phone. In addition the preponderance of app dependence leads one to think people simply do not want to speak to each other anymore. I get the irony of posting on this forum using my phone but I would rather talk to you in person as the experience would enrich my life as I hope it would yours.

Good luck

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    10-05-15 11:50 AM
    How did you manage to get Uber to work? It refuses to work on my Passport. Thanks in advance.
    I use their website from the browser (uber.com). You can create a home screen shortcut that basically looks like an app, which then launches directly into their site. It works great.
    10-05-15 11:52 AM
    Yeah - does anyone use UBER app on BB10? I have the Google Play store on my Q10 and I downloaded the UBER App, but all I get is the UBER logo on the black screen when I start the app and then it freezes.

Drafted on my Q10
    10-05-15 12:52 PM
    Camera companion apps have been noted. The android versions don't work because they require WiFi direct, which BB10 supports, but the Android RT in BB10 doesn't. ...
    Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know what was the reason for it not working.

Looking at the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility (WMU), I have read threads on CB indicating that the WMU did work on 10.2.1. Once we moved to 10.3, it stopped working. Does that mean that 10.2.1 had an Android runtime that supported wifi direct, but 10.3 does not? You would think that if they upgraded the runtime in 10.3, this would still be included. Why would this aspect (wifi direct) not be included?

This is the one app that I would love to have work. I'm not an app guy so this is the only one I have really come across. Perhaps it is a bit of laziness on my part, but I would like to wirelessly transfer pictures from the camera to the phone, without the need of an intermediary. Isn't that what Blackberry promotes? Productivity and efficiency. If instead I need to connect the camera to my laptop and transfer the ones I want and then transfer them from the laptop to my phone, it doesn't seem to meeting its objective. Just my thoughts.
    10-05-15 01:00 PM
    Yeah - does anyone use UBER app on BB10? I have the Google Play store on my Q10 and I downloaded the UBER App, but all I get is the UBER logo on the black screen when I start the app and then it freezes.

Drafted on my Q10
    Check my post above #157. Try Uper. It's available in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. I used this app to break my Uber cherry with and it worked flawlessly for me.
    extisis likes this.
    10-05-15 01:00 PM
    Sheesh - never mind my previous qs. I can just login into the UBER account via my BB10 browser - https://login.uber.com/login

Drafted on my Q10
    10-05-15 01:07 PM
    Hi, I gota version of Uber to work months ago using the original patch that was used for Google Maps, probably 8-12 months ago? As soon as Uber got updated it broke and I stopped. The mobile browser version does work well enough. Again, it's a bit of a trade off as the GPS doesn't work as well for me, the car doesn't seem to track in real time as closely as the Android or IOS version that I have seen others use. But, it's works fine and I used it many times without issue.
    10-05-15 01:21 PM
    It's HUGE! The reason why BB is failing. It's not the hardware it's the apps! They also need marketing dollars BIG TIME! There are people out there that say things like, "remember Blackberry". Seriously folks they think BB is dead and no longer make phones. This about the general public and not us the fanboys. They need apps with regional information and banking, hello BOA, anyone? I had Z10, Z30 and now Windows 640 and looking forward to Priv and 950. That's why MS also needs to make a deal with Google and not rely on developers and making things easier to apply apps to WM 10, just make a deal and bring the Google Store over and end it. Then you can apply the hardware specs up against Apple and Samsung's of the world. If not you will play catch in the minds of the consumer and continue to lose no matter how good the phones are, up against Apple.
    Last edited by hf199; 10-05-15 at 02:12 PM.
    10-05-15 01:55 PM
    The original point I wanted to make but seems we went off on a different tangent is that the workarounds people mention should be more related to the BB10 OS than the android runtime. The android runtime has always been just given as is. My point being if u worry about "workarounds" at all with the runtime you're better off with droid. The runtime was never meant as a permanent solution.

Why even worry about the runtime at this point. Some of you act like your prayers haven't been answered with the Perv. Priv. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    I'm not too worried about the workarounds. I do understand how for some people that could be something they are not willing to try. Either way, like you said, the Priv can help solve most people's app situation! For me the Priv is on my list of wants... definitely!
    10-05-15 02:27 PM
    There is a difference between a ''workaround'' and a truly missing app.
    Simply installing google play shrinks the gap way down.

The first thing is, you have to love bb10 and see a lot of value in it. If you don't, the other hassles simply won't be worth it.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-05-15 10:33 PM
    The first thing is, you have to love bb10 and see a lot of value in it. If you don't, the other hassles simply won't be worth it.
    I agree.

Thing is, across the board, I don't think the vast majority of consumers really "love" any OS.
    kbz1960, Bbnivende and JRF_1986 like this.
    10-05-15 10:45 PM
    I loved windows CE which I hacked to death... I also LOVED webOS which is gone... bb10, meh

I agree.

Thing is, across the board, I don't think the vast majority of consumers really "love" any OS.
    10-05-15 10:52 PM
    I loved windows CE which I hacked to death... I also LOVED webOS whish is gone... bb10, meh
    I did love Palm and webOS...
    andy957 likes this.
    10-05-15 10:53 PM
    I agree.

I agree. A lot of people use what's familiar so that adds to the challenge of getting people to try something new. You also have to convince that what they're about to try is inherently better for them than what they were using before. That's tough. iOS and Android are pretty comprehensive and there's not much (if anything) that Windows Phone or BlackBerry 10 can do that the other two can't do.

That said, a lot of people also want a functioning phone that has not only what they need and want, but also has the capability to have what they need and want in the future.

I've recently found myself really fond of iOS. For me it's about as complete as a mobile OS should be. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-05-15 10:53 PM
213 ... 56789