Been thinking about Blackberry's partnership with Samsung..

Here's a few great benefits I can see..

The fact Samsung sees value in partnering with Blackberry is going to make Blackberry a lot more credible going forward. Samsung see that Blackberry have something great going on with QNX, BB10, Medical equipment partnership with Nanthealth, owning 60% of the connected car market with big partnerships with most leading car manufacturers, etc..

Think about Samsung not only as a phone maker.. This is much bigger. It's all about the IOT(Internet of Things)
    Samsung makes TV's, Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Security Systems, Microwaves, Washers & Dryers, cameras, audio systems, smart watches, etc. My point.. The connected home..The one thing Samsung needs is a Secure network for all of that stuff to be more trusted and connect better.. BES12 along with all the things and more listed above is the start of something great.., With the 2 of these companies working together, it's a natural fit.. Blackberry focuses on security. Samsung focuses on the consumer products.. Maybe at some point down the road Samsung would consider licensing BB10 for all their devices rather then go with Tizen or whatever it's called? Maybe Samsung makes a tablet running BB10?

Also, Samsung can make a huge push in the Mobile Payments industry. Think about the potential revenue Blackberry could get from all of Samsungs devices paying for things through Blackberry's NOC?

Thing about all the new apps Blackberry will also get now? If Samsung branches out and has their own "secure android app store" I bet they all will work on BB10 as well.. That means all the apps required for the connected devices, etc will be available to Blackberry.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I see endless possibilities and an incredible upward trend coming for Blackberry.
    11-14-14 05:52 AM
    What's missing in this post (which is awesome btw) is qnx.
    Qnx can be licensed for those things you spoke about. Dishwashers, microwaves, etc. Qnx also has q-net which can speak natively to another object running qnx. Add on bes12 and you have an instant internet of things network.

Next up I'd like to see things I buy come with a little 'q-net enabled' sticker on them.

Secondly, a BlackBerry home router (or Samsung if they're going that route) that is a mini home based bes12. People can have their own iot network with a router that can connect to the noc to allow a secure tunnel to a phone or device outside the home network. This would be huge.

Posted via CB10
    joneddy and scmcc16 like this.
    11-14-14 06:48 AM
    I agree that this is a huge and positive move for BlackBerry. I hadn't thought about home automation and connectivity, but it's just the thing that TAT had been conceptualising when they were still with BlackBerry. And it's so much better than an outright purchase.

And for all those who think that it's the end of BlackBerry handsets, I say nonsense. BlackBerry needs revenue in order to continue to make niche phones for its niche customers. Will they make another all touch slab? Probably at least one more, just to confirm whether or not there is reasonable demand for it.

Posted via CB10
    joneddy likes this.
    11-14-14 06:50 AM
    I really like the concept of your home based "mini bes/router". You take control of your connected devices, but have all the data transmit across Blackberry's NOC. Genius.. Right now, each product has it's own management app. A unified interface would be golden.
    11-14-14 07:27 AM
    These are all amazing points. The next great market will be the IoT. Automation and connectivity across all spectrums of our life is here. This market will dwarf the current markets of phones and tablets in my opinion. Having QNX power all of these devices and connecting them through a router and NOC is genius. Not only would you be able to connect to your home via your smartphone and tablet but also your car through voice control, which is even more possible thanks to the inroads with car manufacturers. This could be the beginning of something great. Excited to see what the future holds.
    joneddy likes this.
    11-14-14 08:19 AM
    John doesn't shoot the s**t, if he said "blackberry is going to be around a long time", he means it. He knows what is possible, with what they have. He also is smart enough to understand the scale, scope and size of delivering that vision to market is beyond what they can accomplish on there own.

"I have the bat and you have the ball. Let's get a game going".

Posted via CB10
    joneddy likes this.
    11-14-14 08:52 AM
    The only thing I'd caution is that sometimes, we tend to read way, way too much into partnerships.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-14-14 09:45 AM
    This will/ could be the partnership that changes everything.
    joneddy likes this.
    11-14-14 09:51 AM
    Nice, thoughtful post and one that makes a lot of sense in the long term. There are, however, many steps between point A and B but maybe the journey is beginning.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:02 AM