Is BlackBerry more secure? Who knows. BlackBerry will sell that to you, that's for sure. But, remember the playbook was rooted running BB10. And BlackBerry runs two of the worse pieces of software known to humans for vulnerabilities: Flash and now Android apps...

It will happen, it's just a matter of when. Having such a tiny marketshare is certainly helping the cause. Why do you think there are so many viruses for any Microsoft product? They are number one in terms of use. No one bothers with number 3 or 4

Code written by humans, will be hacked by humans... give it time.
    shaleem likes this.
    11-06-14 07:41 AM
    Is BlackBerry more secure? Who knows. BlackBerry will sell that to you, that's for sure. But, remember the playbook was rooted running BB10. And BlackBerry runs two of the worse pieces of software known to humans for vulnerabilities: Flash and now Android apps...

It will happen, it's just a matter of when. Having such a tiny marketshare is certainly helping the cause. Why do you think there are so many viruses for any Microsoft product? They are number one in terms of use. No one bothers with number 3 or 4

Code written by humans, will be hacked by humans... give it time.
    Kinda get your facts wrong didn't you. Playbook never ran BB10. It was one release of the Playbook OS that was rooted and quickly patched. Since BB10 runs apps in sandboxes, it give an additional level of security. You might have a tiny market share but when it is used by the US military, banks and governments, it becomes more of a target than Joe and Mary on 123 Main st.
    spikesolie and Jack Donovan1 like this.
    11-06-14 08:33 AM
    Does a bear s*** in the woods????

Posted via CB10
    Not a Polar Bear .......LOL
    BB_Junky likes this.
    11-06-14 08:53 AM
    The cases of phones being hacked without physical access to them are pretty rare (I don't remember the last time I read an article about that).

Yes, rooting an Android phone is easy if you have access to it, but the process will delete all personal files. Also we hear all these things about malware on Android, but if you have half a brain and download apps only from Google play, then you are in most instances safe. I don't personally know anyone who as infected with malware on Android.

Also it should be noted that WHATEVER OS you use, your e-mails/phone calls/ messages all go through the same cables. It's not like if you send an e-mail from a BB phone it will use a special "BB-only" cable.
    mornhavon and devin266 like this.
    11-06-14 08:55 AM
    Latest news is that Apple, both Mac and iPhone are currently being attacked by Chinese malware.
    All over the news today.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 08:58 AM
    Kinda get your facts wrong didn't you. Playbook never ran BB10. It was one release of the Playbook OS that was rooted and quickly patched. Since BB10 runs apps in sandboxes, it give an additional level of security. You might have a tiny market share but when it is used by the US military, banks and governments, it becomes more of a target than Joe and Mary on 123 Main st.
    +1000

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 08:58 AM
    Latest news is that Apple, both Mac and iPhone are currently being attacked by Chinese malware.
    All over the news today.

Posted via CB10
    People will believe whatever they want. If you looked at the facts of the "latest" news about the "Wirelurker" Malware, you would understand, that if you purposely go looking for trouble, you're going to find it...

The apps in question are NOT on the Apple App Store. The default security settings in OS X have to be circumvented to allow downloads from a non-trusted site.

Apple has since blocked the apps from launching on OS X, and that's a faster response you'll get from any manufacture to helping out it's customers and responding to this problem.

So if you want to download suspicious software from untrusted sources, enjoy the results, and this goes for any platform...
    11-06-14 11:59 AM
    Security isn't a "yes or no" option. Is your house secure if your front door is locked? Perhaps, if the front door is the ONLY way into your house, but for most people, locking the front door doesn't mean much if the back door is unlocked, the windows are open, and there's a key to the front door under the mat.

While this is going to ruffle some feathers here, there is no significant difference between the overall security on BB10 not on BES as compared to Android or iOS - most of BB's vaunted security is the result of BES, which is, for the most part, only used by corporations, rather than by individual consumers. Yes, there are a few specific areas where BB has chosen the more secure route compared to iOS and Android, but on the other hand, BB10 users are using a lot of Android apps, most of which aren't even from the Play Store, but from third-party, often unregulated app stores. Many are even installing financial apps from these stores, with no way to know who really uploaded that app to the store or what changes the might have made to the app!

Also, as howarmat says, if the user makes foolish choices, then all the security in the world won't save you. Again, the analogy of the front door: you could have a steel-framed, all-steel door with 5 heavy hinges and 3 high-end deadbolts with an advanced key design meant to be strongly pick-resistant all set into a steel-reinforced concrete wall, and think because you spent $5000 on your front door that you are secure, but if you then decide that it's too inconvenient to lock that door each time, and leave it unlocked, all that money was for nothing - anyone can open your door.

So, with some minor differences, you should expect a consumer, non-BES BB10 phone to be on roughly equal footing with Android or iOS. Most data/networking services will be using the identical protocols, and of course, phone calls and SMS/MMS messages are completely unencrypted on all consumer phones.
    You keep singing the same tune. I believe you have been corrected many times by different members of this community most notably to me by OMNITECH who actual has technical knowledge on how blackberry's are more secure than iOS and android even WITHOUT BES.

READ THIS EVERYONE!:

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...rity-Works.pdf

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 03:02 PM
    One thing to note.
    Ios8 and android 5 both have device encryption enabled by default, seemingly with no performance issues.

Bb10.3.0 doesn't have encryption enabled by default (maybe 10.3.1 will at release..) + android apps loading time take a major performance hit with encryption enabled.. in my experience, loads times (initial load, switching between levels in games etc) are up to 10x slower (a 30 second load now takes 2 minutes, what would have been 1-2 seconds before, now takes 15-20. Using z10)

OS 10.3.1.1016: destructive 821 > upgrade 800 > upgrade 938 > delta 1016
    11-06-14 03:48 PM
    You keep singing the same tune. I believe you have been corrected many times by different members of this community most notably to me by OMNITECH who actual has technical knowledge on how blackberry's are more secure than iOS and android even WITHOUT BES.

READ THIS EVERYONE!:

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...rity-Works.pdf

Posted via CB10
    Balance is a bes only feature
    Smime, again bes only

BBOS let's you selectively restrict Internet access per app, connection attempt etc. Ios has the ability to stop apps from accessing the mobile network.
    Android and BlackBerry 10 do not. Worse, BlackBerry 10 doesn't tell you the app even wants Internet access. A rogue bb10 developer of, let's say a photo editing app, for example - can steal everything on your device/sd card and you'd only have to accept the shared files permission for them to do so.

On BlackBerry 10, there is no way to force apps to work offline / stop them from accessing the Internet. Worse, you have no way of knowing if the app was accessing the Internet until after the fact.

11-06-14 04:01 PM
    Smime, again bes only

BBOS let's you selectively restrict Internet access per app, connection attempt etc. Ios has the ability to stop apps from accessing the mobile network.
    Android and BlackBerry 10 do not. Worse, BlackBerry 10 doesn't tell you the app even wants Internet access. A rogue bb10 developer of, let's say a photo editing app, for example - can steal everything on your device/sd card and you'd only have to accept the shared files permission for them to do so.

On BlackBerry 10, there is no way to force apps to work offline / stop them from accessing the Internet. Worse, you have no way of knowing if the app was accessing the Internet until after the fact.
    Interesting. Good to know
    11-06-14 09:53 PM
    Smime, again bes only

Yes, I don't like that they removed the internet permission for apps.

Problem is, if it's not granted, ads won't display. So it's a no-go for Google's business model, but for BlackBerry?

I'd like to see them backpedal on that. :-)

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    11-07-14 05:23 AM

Android and BlackBerry 10 do not. Worse, BlackBerry 10 doesn't tell you the app even wants Internet access.

I am missing this feature too and hope BB will bring it back.

I do use the app Network Monitor to check my BB 10 apps from time to time.

As a result Hide Files & Folders had to go and was replaced by Files Security and Titan Files.

I don't care if the network connection is harmless.
    If I am traveling in other countries I don't want to pay roaming charges for something like checking a bank account information in a hidden folder.
    11-07-14 07:03 AM
    02-03-15 09:04 AM
    That's enterprise. Consumer BB10 uses the same internet and the same email servers as other platforms unless they use a more secure mail service. But then that's not a BB10 feature.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 10:41 AM
    There's a big difference.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 10:59 AM
    ROFL. You regard this marketing bla bla as some kind of "proof"?
    02-03-15 11:44 AM
    You think it's blablabla? The proof is no one has been able to root it... and this is the reason why...

Posted via CB10
    david7saad likes this.
    02-03-15 11:50 AM
    Since when has BlackBerry done marketing bla bla? Are you confused by apple?

Hardware based security on root level DOES in fact make BlackBerry more secure than ios or android and its all BlackBerry devices not only enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    david7saad likes this.
    02-03-15 12:16 PM
    I think there is some ambiguity in the topic to begin with. There is a significant difference between discussing the device security and what security any given device can expect on the wild wild web. In that sense once a non-rooted BB10 device is connnected it is no more secure than any other. If Obama wants to see your tweets, emails, bbm or anything else you send out or store on the device, he's gunna see it.

The cell carriers and ISP's are all storing details of what you do, with whom and how often, once connected to the network.

BB devices connect to fake cell towers and are caught up in every aerial surveillance sweep, just like every other connected device. They are no safer.

Given that most security issues don't happen directly on the device, but are rather due to hacks of large data servers the point is once again moot. If Amazon or Ebay or Target or your bank is hacked, it won't matter that you only shop with a Blackberry.

The fact that it isn't rooted/rootable is that there isn't a market for it. What are you going to do with a rooted BB10 device, install an android rom?

Fill a room with the top hackers and give a large 6 or 7 figure bounty and lets see how long it takes to get rooted. Security is relative. Having a better dead bolt on your front door doesn't make your house more secure. Locks are for honest people. Criminals will just smash your windows.

No government is going to allow their population to communicate without being able to monitor and record every detail. Especially not the governments of the "free world".
    02-03-15 12:35 PM
    I think there is some ambiguity in the topic to begin with. There is a significant difference between discussing the device security and what security any given device can expect on the wild wild web. In that sense once a non-rooted BB10 device is connnected it is no more secure than any other. If Obama wants to see your tweets, emails, bbm or anything else you send out or store on the device, he's gunna see it.

The cell carriers and ISP's are all storing details of what you do, with whom and how often, once connected to the network.

BB devices connect to fake cell towers and are caught up in every aerial surveillance sweep, just like every other connected device. They are no safer.

Given that most security issues don't happen directly on the device, but are rather due to hacks of large data servers the point is once again moot. If Amazon or Ebay or Target or your bank is hacked, it won't matter that you only shop with a Blackberry.

The fact that it isn't rooted/rootable is that there isn't a market for it. What are you going to do with a rooted BB10 device, install an android rom?

Fill a room with the top hackers and give a large 6 or 7 figure bounty and lets see how long it takes to get rooted. Security is relative. Having a better dead bolt on your front door doesn't make your house more secure. Locks are for honest people. Criminals will just smash your windows.

No government is going to allow their population to communicate without being able to monitor and record every detail. Especially not the governments of the "free world".
    There is some ambiguity in the topic.

If the question is "are blackberry devices more secure than ios or android?" then the answer is yes because of the secure root level hardware and software checks.

But, Of course if we are considering all aspects of communication meaning cell tower transmission, un encrypted signals, regular Internet services then yes, anything caught mid transmission is intercept able and thats the same with every device that doesnt have end to end voice and data encryption through a secure line.

But if secusmart becomes available publically then that will change.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 12:57 PM
    There is some ambiguity in the topic.

If the question is "are blackberry devices more secure than ios or android?" then the answer is yes because of the secure root level hardware and software checks.

But, Of course if we are considering all aspects of communication meaning cell tower transmission, un encrypted signals, regular Internet services then yes, anything caught mid transmission is intercept able and thats the same with every device that doesnt have end to end voice and data encryption through a secure line.

But if secusmart becomes available publically then that will change.

Posted via CB10
    I guess that was my point regarding the ambiguity. I'll agree that Blackberry is more secure out of the box and not turned on, connected to any network. However, considering what device is more secure when it is not turned on or connected in the manner in which is intended to function.....kinda makes it a pointless discussion.

Once turned on and connected by the average consumer, there really isn't any difference in security of the communication, regardless of your choice of communication device. Security issues typically arise at the user interface, not the device itself.

I guess if you just want a clock and a calendar that you can't sync, Blackberry offers superior security.
    02-03-15 01:22 PM
    You think it's blablabla? The proof is no one has been able to root it... and this is the reason why...

Posted via CB10
    The Playbook was rooted pretty quick to refresh your memory. DingleBerry I believe it was called. Also, no one wastes their time trying hack number 3 or 4, look at Microsoft. Windows is by far the number one desktop out there, and has way more viruses, malware, vulnerabilities than let's say OS X...
    02-03-15 01:30 PM
    I guess that was my point regarding the ambiguity. I'll agree that Blackberry is more secure out of the box and not turned on, connected to any network. However, considering what device is more secure when it is not turned on or connected in the manner in which is intended to function.....kinda makes it a pointless discussion.

Once turned on and connected by the average consumer, there really isn't any difference in security of the communication, regardless of your choice of communication device. Security issues typically arise at the user interface, not the device itself.

I guess if you just want a clock and a calendar that you can't sync, Blackberry offers superior security.
    Lets add this to the discussion, quoting from BlackBerry themselves.

"Using BlackBerry�s Hardware Root of Trust and Trend Micro�s expertise on mobile malware, we�re able to run Android apps without compromising user privacy or device security (see*this blog post*for all of the details)."

This snippet of information here means BlackBerry 10 devices are more likely to detect/block/limit malware and dodgy apps which would otherwise make your information/device vulnerable.

This "sandboxing" security feature means that even for the average consumer and in everyday connected use, BlackBerry is more secure than android.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 02:10 PM
    Isn't bbm more secure than apps like WhatsApp and others?
    Even without bis?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 02:22 PM
110 1234 ...