This is something I have been waiting for for a LONG time.

One of my main gripes about the Android platform is the fact that while there is a large list of specific app permissions, users are given no choice in what an installed app can have access to. You can see the permissions an app wants before you install it, but it's all or nothing: all you can do is install it, or not install it. BlackBerry devices, of course, have offered selective app permissions for years.

So when reports surfaced last year about a secret/undocumented feature in the latest version Android JellyBean version 4.3 that allowed users to selectively revoke app permissions, I thought that was quite an interesting development. But the joy didn't last long: 4.3 JellyBean was released on July 24th, and by December 9th with the release of 4.4 KitKat 4 months later, Google removed the feature, claiming it was "only an experiment". What a buzz kill!

Fast forward to May 2014, and I discover that BlackBerry has decided to include Android JellyBean 4.3 in the BlackBerry 10 Android runtime in version 10.3. Whoah! Would it include the infamous and highly sought-after "App Ops" feature??? Well, yes - yes it does!

So for those users and developers who are running a test/beta/SDK version of 10.3, here's how to gain access to "App Ops".

Basically it's a hidden app and not normally visible in the filesystem, so gaining access once you know how is fairly straightforward. Even simpler because a variety of apps have been released to make that shortcut for you.

Unsurprisingly, Google seems to be playing games with the search engine in Google Play and while I could find various "App Ops enabler" apps on the regular Play website, the only one that would show up when searching from RedLightOfLove's "Snap" Google Play app for BB10 was a poorly-designed one with poor reviews. So I got the APK via a 3rd-party Google Play search site. The app I chose is only 6 Kb, has no advertisements and requires no permissions. It has also been checked and verified OK by 2 different anti-malware checkers - important whenever you install Android apps from unknown sources.

All you need to do is download this APK file, open it and follow the install instructions. Your device needs to be set to allow installation of non-BlackBerry World apps if not already set. (Settings/App Manager/Installing Apps/Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed)

Below is the download link - just download it in your device browser. (Don't copy the link text and paste in - CrackBerry truncates long link text display in posts. Either click on it directly on your BlackBerry or use the "Copy link" or "Copy shortcut" feature in your browser if you need to)

http://apk-dl.com/store/apps/details...appopslauncher

Here's the Google Play web link, if you want to check out more details:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...appopslauncher

Once you install it, it creates a blue icon named "Permission Manager", which launches App Ops.

Below are some of the screens available - as you can see, you can sort by each category of permissions, check on an app-by-app basis, and a really cool feature - it will tell you if and when that specific app has ever used that particular permission in the past, and when. Very handy for determining whether revoking a permission will have a noticeable impact or not. (Apparently what this tool does is "proxy" the permission - basically fooling an app that it has permissions that it does not have. This is because Android apps were never designed to expect permissions to be selectively revoked.)

Bear in mind - the screenshots below are from the shortcut app, don't start thinking you can install Google Play, Gmail and Google Maps on a BB10 device just like that. There are still certain limits with the BB10 Android Runtime.

Will the New 10.3 feature app Ops with Selective Android App Permissions?-appops_01.png

Will the New 10.3 feature app Ops with Selective Android App Permissions?-appops_02.png

More info on "App Ops":

App Ops Brings Granular Permissions Control to Android 4.3 – xda-developers
    Android 4.3 Includes Hidden App Permissions Manager That Could Bolster Privacy & Security | TechCrunch
    How to Enable and Use Android 4.3 Permissions Manager - Guiding Tech
    Last edited by Omnitech; 05-18-14 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Break up paragraph
    05-18-14 04:32 PM
    Brilliant! This will be the first thing I do when I eventually load 10.3!

Channel for BlackBerry users in India
    05-18-14 04:43 PM
    Thanks OMNI! Finally we get to control those apks!

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    otesdan likes this.
    05-18-14 04:47 PM
    BB10 - call blocking please...

The API to enable call blocking - basically to allow 3rd-party apps to see the incoming caller's number - is included in 10.3.
    05-18-14 04:50 PM
    And BTW folks - this will work on Android apps that were obtained from BlackBerry World too - ie Skype, etc.
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-18-14 04:51 PM
    Thanks OMNI! Finally we get to control those apks!

If thats true im gonna CRY! In happiness of course....

........im not kidding.

05-18-14 04:59 PM
    If thats true im gonna CRY! In happiness of course....

........im not kidding.

Pics or it didn't happen...

I'm back for a while and this is what i have done for a couple hours on 10.3:

Will the New 10.3 feature app Ops with Selective Android App Permissions?-10361063_10201041084228634_9144532994599539037_n.jpg

Will the New 10.3 feature app Ops with Selective Android App Permissions?-983659_10201041084268635_5833314842860363140_n.jpg

Will the New 10.3 feature app Ops with Selective Android App Permissions?-10338855_10201041084308636_1084167244078585750_n.jpg
    schmeat likes this.
    05-18-14 05:16 PM
    Pics or it didn't happen...

Will the New 10.3 feature app Ops with Selective Android App Permissions?-meme_cry_png_by_mfsyrcm-d58vqic.png

thannkk yoouu..... I think this represents me accurately. NO MORE TELESALES CALLS!

Omnitech likes this.
    05-18-14 05:20 PM
    This is something I have been waiting for for a LONG time.

One of my main gripes about the Android platform is the fact that while there is a large list of specific app permissions, users are given no choice in what an installed app can have access to. You can see the permissions an app wants before you install it, but it's all or nothing: all you can do is install it, or not install it. BlackBerry devices, of course, have offered selective app permissions for years.

So when reports surfaced last year about a secret/undocumented feature in the latest version Android JellyBean version 4.3 that allowed users to selectively revoke app permissions, I thought that was quite an interesting development. But the joy didn't last long: 4.3 JellyBean was released on July 24th, and by December 9th with the release of 4.4 KitKat 4 months later, Google removed the feature, claiming it was "only an experiment". What a buzz kill!

Fast forward to May 2014, and I discover that BlackBerry has decided to include Android JellyBean 4.3 in the BlackBerry 10 Android runtime in version 10.3. Whoah! Would it include the infamous and highly sought-after "App Ops" feature??? Well, yes - yes it does!

So for those users and developers who are running a test/beta/SDK version of 10.3, here's how to gain access to "App Ops".

Basically it's a hidden app and not normally visible in the filesystem, so gaining access once you know how is fairly straightforward. Even simpler because a variety of apps have been released to make that shortcut for you.

Unsurprisingly, Google seems to be playing games with the search engine in Google Play and while I could find various "App Ops enabler" apps on the regular Play website, the only one that would show up when searching from RedLightOfLove's "Snap" Google Play app for BB10 was a poorly-designed one with poor reviews. So I got the APK via a 3rd-party Google Play search site. The app I chose is only 6 Kb, has no advertisements and requires no permissions. It has also been checked and verified OK by 2 different anti-malware checkers - important whenever you install Android apps from unknown sources. All you need to do is download this APK file, open it and follow the install instructions. Your device needs to be set to allow installation of non-BlackBerry World apps if not already set. (Settings/App Manager/Installing Apps/Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed)

Below is the download link - just download it in your device browser. (Don't copy the link text and paste in - CrackBerry truncates long link text display in posts. Either click on it directly on your BlackBerry or use the "Copy link" or "Copy shortcut" feature in your browser if you need to)

http://apk-dl.com/store/apps/details...appopslauncher

Here's the Google Play web link, if you want to check out more details:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...appopslauncher

Once you install it, it creates a blue icon named "Permission Manager", which launches App Ops.

Below are some of the screens available - as you can see, you can sort by each category of permissions, check on an app-by-app basis, and a really cool feature - it will tell you if and when that specific app has ever used that particular permission in the past, and when. Very handy for determining whether revoking a permission will have a noticeable impact or not. (Apparently what this tool does is "proxy" the permission - basically fooling an app that it has permissions that it does not have. This is because Android apps were never designed to expect permissions to be selectively revoked.)

Bear in mind - the screenshots below are from the shortcut app, don't start thinking you can install Google Play, Gmail and Google Maps on a BB10 device just like that. There are still certain limits with the BB10 Android Runtime.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AppOps_01.png 
Views:	3821 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	271745

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AppOps_02.png 
Views:	3812 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	271746

More info on "App Ops":

App Ops Brings Granular Permissions Control to Android 4.3 � xda-developers
    Android 4.3 Includes Hidden App Permissions Manager That Could Bolster Privacy & Security | TechCrunch
    How to Enable and Use Android 4.3 Permissions Manager - Guiding Tech
    Getting "unable to install". 7 KB right?

Anyone else?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 05:58 PM
    Getting "unable to install". 7 KB right?

Anyone else?

If I recall you're reasonably technically astute so don't take offense for me going through the due diligence but you're on 10.3 and you have the "install from other sources" thing enabled, yes?

The filename should be "com.ovmobile.appopslauncher.apk".
    05-18-14 06:51 PM
    FWIW, I did see some weirdness today with some apps - ie where they show in the general list as expecting certain perms but when you press on the app and go to the detailed page those perms are not in the detailed list where you can adjust them.

Well even if it's glitchy sometimes it's 1000% better than the usual scenario.
    05-18-14 06:55 PM
    If I recall you're reasonably technically astute so don't take offense for me going through the due diligence but you're on 10.3 and you have the "install from other sources" thing enabled, yes?

The filename should be "com.ovmobile.appopslauncher.apk".
    10.2.1.2156. Installed a bunch of updates from Snap the other day, no issues installing apk's. This is the first time ever getting an error installing apk's.

And "Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed" is verified already enabled.
    05-18-14 07:21 PM
    Thanks. Installed on my Z10 testing phone. Will poke around.
    05-18-14 07:39 PM
    10.2.1.2156. Installed a bunch of updates from Snap the other day, no issues installing apk's. This is the first time ever getting an error installing apk's.

And "Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed" is verified already enabled.
    You need to be on 10.3 with the updated 4.3 android runtime.

05-18-14 07:47 PM

Hmm, weird.

If you have another app store installed on the device you could try that, or you could try one of the other free enabler apps, here's a couple from the shortlist:

[removed]

EDIT:

Hahahaha, totally missed that. I've been up too long.
    05-18-14 07:48 PM
    Hmm, weird.

If you have another app store installed on the device you could try that, or you could try one of the other free enabler apps, here's a couple from the shortlist:

[removed]

EDIT:

Hahahaha, totally missed that. I've been up too long.
    I got app ops working on my Z30 running 10.3.0.296. Thanks again!

Get some rest dude. Soon (hopefully) a whole bunch of Z3 owners will be needing your help!

05-18-14 07:55 PM
    10.3 is truly going to be amazing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-18-14 07:56 PM
    My first work after loading 10.3

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    05-18-14 07:58 PM
    Cool find, Omnitech. AFAIK, App Ops is a (deeply buried) menu in the 4.3 OS, and these apps are essentially shortcuts to that system menu. So how did App Ops make it into 10.3? I may know the answer to this, but I'm wondering if/when the runtime is updated to 4.4.2, is there any possibility App Ops stays in BB10's Android runtime?
    05-18-14 10:31 PM

SMH. Ugh, I need more sleep. I must have been on auto pilot to miss the obvious.

Thanks for not making fun, though I'd have deserved it.
    05-18-14 10:39 PM
    I hope they don't remove the Call Blocking Stuff from the Final OS Branch. I need this so bad.

Now I'm still missing full PGP / GPG Support. Then I can finally read my encrypted eMails on my Z10 and throw that extra Android Device into the Bin. [Yes I know there is a App for it. But after having a bad experience in the past with stolen/misused Keys, I have a bad feeling by going that route again].

Well Developers, start creating call blocking Apps. I'm not good enough for such a Project yet. The demand is definitely high. Thanks

Via CB10 App / [email protected]+296 Hybrid
    05-19-14 01:29 AM
    Cool find, Omnitech. AFAIK, App Ops is a (deeply buried) menu in the 4.3 OS, and these apps are essentially shortcuts to that system menu.
    My understanding is that it is a hidden option - you cannot find it simply by browsing through the system menu. IIRC Android hackers discovered it by combing through the source code when 4.3 came out in July.

So how did App Ops make it into 10.3?
    It's a standard (but hidden) part of Android 4.3. Google removed it in 4.4.2.

I may know the answer to this, but I'm wondering if/when the runtime is updated to 4.4.2, is there any possibility App Ops stays in BB10's Android runtime?

While I think it's part of AOSP, I don't know if it's practical or feasible to port it to 4.4.2+ without major surgery. It may just be that traditional vendors are more handicapped in that respect because of the contractual obligations imposed by the Open Handset Alliance and the "full fat" version of Android, which of course BlackBerry is not a member of. (Nor do I expect them to be any time soon as it contains several stipulations that I'd think are inimical to the vendor of a competitive platform.)

In any case, I'm prepared to hang onto this version for dear life if this feature gets removed in future runtimes without some sort of replacement.

(FWIW - You can accomplish something similiar if you have a rooted device/runtime - I assume with tactics like re-writing a target APK's manifest on the fly or something - but I don't expect we will ever see an intentionally-rootable runtime from BlackBerry. )
    05-19-14 01:40 AM
    I hope they don't remove the Call Blocking Stuff from the Final OS Branch. I need this so bad.
    I'd rather doubt it, since it required specific additions to the API to support it.
    05-19-14 01:44 AM
    I'd rather doubt it, since it required specific additions to the API to support it.
    Your Words in John Chen's ears We will see in ~3-4 Months. Great finding anyway.

Via CB10 App / [email protected]+296 Hybrid
    05-19-14 01:49 AM
    This is great news! Thanks for sharing, OP.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 04:26 AM
96 123 ...