There seems to be a kind of time lag at the moment in terms of a marketing and BlackBerry, with the general response on Crackberry (from individuals including myself previously) being:

"BlackBerry are waiting to have a 'perfect' product in terms of hardware and software before they start a big marketing push.." I want to present an issue here..

But after some thought and discussions with various individuals, I say;

BlackBerry needs to first have a major yet cost effective campaign to get rid of the Z10 , and the Q5 or Q10 (to make space for the new keyboard based devices)

Cost Effective = as well as the increased labelling they have been putting on F1 , use it's popularity to make a competition e.g. get a chance to sit down with Hamilton and take a lap on a track with every BlackBerry phone purchase, even make a whole day out of it..

Even though BlackBerry doesn't have big marketing bucks, they have a lot of strong business connections that they can make use off..

I can see and understand them refocusing on enterprise customers to make sure they don't get away as this is their strength .. but if they are to remain relevant they need to (as in Jubei's recent article) tap into the consumer markets emotions, be creative and make some noise..

Also on the store front they need to invest in people , good BlackBerry reps can go a long way and good policy too.. right now the situation is a bit dismal I'll give a quick e.g.:

A Carphone Warehouse manager sells a lot more blackberry's than the average... he is given a Z30 by BlackBerry and this allowed him to sell even more blackberry's because he could right away show customers what the Z30 could do (they don't currently have it on display).

On the BlackBerry reps last visit, the Z30 is taken back, and instead the manager received a pouch to keep glasses in(bb branded) .. considering that even the rep is surprised at how many BlackBerry s were being sold at his store and yet policy means he takes away one of the factors which is contributing to this.. I understand the need to reign in spending but in this scenario you definitely need to spend money to make money..(note I'm not blaming/accusing the rep, just questioning the logic/system)

Before BlackBerry updates its phones (hardware) it needs to get rid of the current ones or it will find it difficult to sell the new phones to carriers (who can subsidies the phones for customers, something BlackBerry doesn't yet do to the same extent)

My dream is to see BlackBerry stores everywhere offering direct support etc, innovative stores in themselves in terms of layout etc but that's a long term investment that requires a lot of money coming in, which is what Chen is trying to do (well, break even at the very least)

So.. BlackBerry.. don't wait .. continue work with enterprise customers but utilise your connections to make some noise in the consumer market... get the discounted phones selling... heck.. use bbm channels to promote the competition and get download rates increasing again..

I know the people at BlackBerry must be under a lot, a lot of pressure right now to get things right... but i think there is a balance between being conservative, and playing a hail Mary, find that balance BlackBerry, for all our sakes...

Let the comments begin

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    05-02-14 03:00 PM
    BlackBerry needs to first have a major yet cost effective campaign to get rid of the Z10 , and the Q5 or Q10 (to make space for the new keyboard based devices)
    Yes - agree, these devcies are known failures, even if with the new OS they are pretty good.

Cost Effective = as well as the increased labelling they have been putting on F1 , use it's popularity to make a competition e.g. get a chance to sit down with Hamilton and take a lap on a track with every BlackBerry phone purchase, even make a whole day out of it..
    Don't have a comment, as I'm not an F1 fan.... if CrackBerry didn't post images of the car, I would have never know.

Even though BlackBerry doesn't have big marketing bucks, they have a lot of strong business connections that they can make use off..
    You assume they have strong business connections. There is a difference in a company using your devices and a company being willing to do anything for you without compensation.

I can see and understand them refocusing on enterprise customers to make sure they don't get away as this is their strength .. but if they are to remain relevant they need to (as in Jubei's recent article) tap into the consumer markets emotions, be creative and make some noise..
    Jubei's "article" are a little....

Anyway, Enterprise want to buy from a stable company... they aren't waiting for BES12, they are waiting to see if BlackBerry will surrive.
    As most consumers have never owned a BlackBerry, and of the ones that have it was not a postivie experiecne (JD Powers)... with BlackBerry's Brand problems, not sure how you make and emotional connection.
    Without money, not sure how you make much noise.

Also on the store front they need to invest in people , good BlackBerry reps can go a long way and good policy too.. right now the situation is a bit dismal I'll give a quick e.g.:
    As very few "stores" carry BlackBerry devices, I guess this will not cost as much as it once would have. But you are still talking about a lot of money.

A Carphone Warehouse manager sells a lot more blackberry's than the average... he is given a Z30 by BlackBerry and this allowed him to sell even more blackberry's because he could right away show customers what the Z30 could do (they don't currently have it on display).
    Agree that rewards for the front line salespeople to build positive impression would be great now.

On the BlackBerry reps last visit, the Z30 is taken back, and instead the manager received a pouch to keep glasses in(bb branded) .. considering that even the rep is surprised at how many BlackBerry s were being sold at his store and yet policy means he takes away one of the factors which is contributing to this.. I understand the need to reign in spending but in this scenario you definitely need to spend money to make money..(note I'm not blaming/accusing the rep, just questioning the logic/system)
    This actually happen? They just gave him a temporary Z30??

Before BlackBerry updates its phones (hardware) it needs to get rid of the current ones or it will find it difficult to sell the new phones to carriers (who can subsidies the phones for customers, something BlackBerry doesn't yet do to the same extent)
    Someone needs to buy the devices or it cost BlackBerry.

My dream is to see BlackBerry stores everywhere offering direct support etc, innovative stores in themselves in terms of layout etc but that's a long term investment that requires a lot of money coming in, which is what Chen is trying to do (well, break even at the very least)
    Money
    Apple sells a wide rage of product and very high margins... they can afford it. If you want a BlackBerry Store it will have to be virtual, but it needs to be something much more than Shop.BlackBerry.

I know the people at BlackBerry must be under a lot, a lot of pressure right now to get things right... but i think there is a balance between being conservative, and playing a hail Mary, find that balance BlackBerry, for all our sakes...
    With as little cash as they have, the expenses of running such a large organization and the pitiful results they have had so far.... they can't help but be conservative with what they have left.

The problem is they were too conservative over the last five years!
    05-02-14 03:32 PM
    Yes - agree, these devcies are known failures, even if with the new OS they are pretty good.

Don't have a comment, as I'm not an F1 fan.... if CrackBerry didn't post images of the car, I would have never know.

You assume they have strong business connections. There is a difference in a company using your devices and a company being willing to do anything for you without compensation.

Jubei's "article" are a little....

Anyway, Enterprise want to buy from a stable company... they aren't waiting for BES12, they are waiting to see if BlackBerry will surrive.
    As most consumers have never owned a BlackBerry, and of the ones that have it was not a postivie experiecne (JD Powers)... with BlackBerry's Brand problems, not sure how you make and emotional connection.
    Without money, not sure how you make much noise.

As very few "stores" carry BlackBerry devices, I guess this will not cost as much as it once would have. But you are still talking about a lot of money.

Agree that rewards for the front line salespeople to build positive impression would be great now.

This actually happen? They just gave him a temporary Z30??

Someone needs to buy the devices or it cost BlackBerry.

Money
    Apple sells a wide rage of product and very high margins... they can afford it. If you want a BlackBerry Store it will have to be virtual, but it needs to be something much more than Shop.BlackBerry.

With as little cash as they have, the expenses of running such a large organization and the pitiful results they have had so far.... they can't help but be conservative with what they have left.

The problem is they were too conservative over the last five years!
    1) *by get rid of.. I mean make an effort to sell not literally thrown away..

2) That's fair enough but i know F1 is big here in the UK and it would certainly make some noise...

3) yes there is a difference.. but i dont believe it's an assumption, they have good links with BT here in the UK (held an event at the BT Tower earlier this year) and F1, I didn't go further in depth to keep it short and sweet, I thought it would be implied that negotiations would be required with x the companies to reach a mutually beneficial agreement on campaigns

4) a little what?? I was talking specifically about the one in which he talks about BlackBerry lacking a theme' of sorts, a 'story' for people to get behind

5a) What's the difference between waiting for BES12 and waiting to see if BlackBerry will survive?? That's why BlackBerry is going around with the BlackBerry experience events and BT Tower like events to give confidence back to the brand.. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Ech1VHU5

b) that's exactly why need to make an emotional connection! To regain brand trust + confidence, not all of consumers experience with BlackBerry was negative, that's why bb7 continues to sell for so long, they need a story like; yes we've made mistakes but here's what we've done about it (other people have been more specific about it I can link the comments if i find them)

6) money that needs to be spent.. and remember that money is going to lead to revenue..

7) glad you agree

8) yes, unexpectedly temporary

9) yes but it costs less than say a massive billboard (even though they should be getting customers with BlackBerry already on their mind walking into the store in a best case scenario) it's one of the cheapest things a business can do because all it costs is the cost of making the device but the device is made anyway, and if you think that device would lead to many other profitable devices, yet if they do nothing it could end up being worthless because they're not selling at all

10) that's why I emphasised that as a long term investment plan and described it as a 'dream'.. once cash stops leaking out and profits start being made i believe slowly but surely it can happen, people need to start seeing BlackBerry and see that they're serious .. a virtual store costs less but doesn't add much in terms of personal, unless they really innovate with it and her something like o2 where you can talk to help desk online, o2 have done the website really well, something that goes even further than that would work but that takes skilled devs and innovative minds h which also cost money, but i suppose yes that would be the cheaper option, it would still need to come with a lot of noise though..

11) but they didn't, and you can't change the past (yet) so the time to act is now.. they still have a little spending money, used Wisely and with some good negotiations with partners it can go a long way..

TechCraze C0008DDD1

Edit: apologies, do you know how I can structure my response like you've done, separating the quote into paragraphs from the Cb10 app? Thanks
    05-02-14 03:58 PM
    http://ca.blackberry.com/campaigns/l...ent|na|Canada|

Whether you?re on the court or in the business world, speed, agility and collaboration are necessary to win. That?s why the Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment team relies on BlackBerry.

Interesting enterprise interview inside.

More links they could utilise for competitions.. and campaigns..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    05-03-14 05:07 AM