I know they come from the Google play store so I'm not worried about that type of security. What I mean is my bank now has an Android and iOS app to do mobile banking, picture check deposit, etc. If I can download it to my phone using Snap is it any less secure because it isn't Native?

Spreading the love with my Z10
    03-02-14 11:39 AM
    I know they come from the Google play store so I'm not worried about that type of security. What I mean is my bank now has an Android and iOS app to do mobile banking, picture check deposit, etc. If I can download it to my phone using Snap is it any less secure because it isn't Native?

Android apps as a general class are going to have some detriments compared to native BB10 apps in terms of security because the Android platform is less secure overall than BB10 is.

It's a tradeoff.

But it's not going to be any worse than running an Android app on an Android device, and actually probably slightly better since Android apps on BB10 are "sandboxed" and some of the more intrusive Google frameworks are not present so it's a little harder for Android apps to steal data than it might be on a native Android device. And when we're talking about official apps from major banks that are obtained directly from Google Play as Snap gets them, at least you have a lot lower likelihood of shenanigans than with some random app that may turn out to be something fake and is loaded with spyware, etc.

But if you want the highest security, stick with native BB10 apps.

On the BB10 device that I install apps via Snap, I run both Avast and MalwareBytes as an anti-malware precaution.
    03-02-14 11:44 AM
    Thanks, I appreciate the help! I will check into anti malware and anti virus.

Spreading the love with my Z10
    03-02-14 01:11 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the help! I will check into anti malware and anti virus.

You can install them with Snap.
    03-02-14 01:25 PM