Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM faces lawsuit over BlackBerry outage

Inevitable I guess...

RIM faces lawsuit over BlackBerry outage - The Globe and Mail

A law firm in Montreal has filed a potential class action lawsuit against Waterloo, Ont. -based Research in Motion (RIM-T21.17-1.41-6.24%) over the massive outage of BlackBerry smart phone service earlier this month.

Lawyer Jeff Orenstein of Consumer Law Group Inc. filed a lawsuit in Quebec Superior Court on Tuesday, demanding compensation for Canadian BlackBerry users who were left without e-mail, BlackBerry messenger service and Internet access during the outages, which occurred between Oct. 11 to Oct. 14.

The BlackBerry maker has had no shortage of bad news lately, with the lengthy outage of service adding to its woes. But it has already offered consumers some compensation for the problems its system suffered earlier this month.

The lawsuit must first be certified as a class action by a judge. The claims in the lawsuit have not been proven in court. The suit says RIM should compensate customers directly, or arrange for the wireless service providers to do so, based on a pro-rated amount for the length time customers were without full BlackBerry service.

A few days after the outage, RIM offered some BlackBerry users a free month of technical support and $100 worth of free app downloads. It has also reportedly discussed payments for the wireless service providers themselves in the wake of the outage.

But the lawsuit, which was filed on behalf of a BlackBerry user who says he relies on the system’s message service to stay in touch with friends in “Trinidad, England, Barbados and the United States” argues these moves are not enough.

The man “expected to be compensated for the loss of services to which he was paying a monthly fee for. Instead, he was disappointed to learn that RIM was only offering some free App downloads that he does not want or need,” the lawsuit reads.

Based on his data plan, which costs $25 a month, the lawsuit claims he is individually owed $1.25 for the one-and-a-half days he did not have service. Potentially hundreds of thousands of others are owed similar amounts across Canada, the lawsuit claims.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,504 Global Posts

I want a cut of any monies received for the many times BBM was inop during the last couple of years.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I'm not sure I agree with all this lawsuit stuff, but if my carrier/cable provider/etc has any type of outage, I make sure to call and get credit if I am inconvenienced...is this any different?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,952 Global Posts

Let the judge *not* certify this as a class action suit and let the fun start.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
    CrackBerry Genius

Yup, stories breaking on all the local medias in Vancouver now about it.
    The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,566 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHED NERVE

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    I want a cut of any monies received for the many times BBM was inop during the last couple of years.
    I want to sue Dave for the lost time I've suffered from having to read his crap posts that get interjected into random threads.

*edit. Forgot about the ignore function. Problem solved.
    But I still want to be compensated for my lost time.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 10-26-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    RIM is dead. Long live BlackBerry!
    Thanked by:
    maddie1128 (10-26-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!

You lose 3 days of service and they want to give you apps and customer service you never wanted or asked for? When will they ever learn?

Does RIM have a single resource more important than their customers?

Or is lining a few pockets more important?

Which is it fellows?
    Last edited by olblueyez; 10-26-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe <~ (Right Click) RUN AS ADMINASTRATOR

Global Posts
    9,504 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Storm View Post
    I want to sue Dave for the lost time I've suffered from having to read his crap posts that get interjected into random threads.

*edit. Forgot about the ignore function. Problem solved.
    But I still want to be compensated for my lost time.
    It's about time you took personal responsibility
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN

My Wife's 9810 was working like a champ during the outage and my 9000 was dead in the water.

That mean I am only eligible for half of the app downloads?

It's the honest thing to do right?

See'in how them there feller's down in Canadda picked out such sweet apps in all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by olblueyez; 10-26-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Unless a person's mobile contract includes some kind of service level agreement then surely this is just random attention-seeking idiocy and if it did specify something then it would be against the carrier they would need to make a claim.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Wow, just a bunch of people taking a small issue over the heads and making it extra big. I wouldn't bring on a lawsuit if my isp had an outage, I wouldn't do that with rim over their outage, I wouldn't sue my trike's maker or the cable/telephone/utilities just because of an outage. I wouldn't even sue the TTC, GO transit or viarail due to the delays, nor would I sue the car company if I even drove a vehicle when it broke down. I never sued the elevator maker or building property management because of some little thing. People really need to relax, because NOTHING AND NOBODY ARE PERFECT. My two cents.

Global Posts
    9,504 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Wow, just a bunch of people taking a small issue over the heads and making it extra big. I wouldn't bring on a lawsuit if my isp had an outage, I wouldn't do that with rim over their outage, I wouldn't sue my trike's maker or the cable/telephone/utilities just because of an outage. I wouldn't even sue the TTC, GO transit or viarail due to the delays, nor would I sue the car company if I even drove a vehicle when it broke down. I never sued the elevator maker or building property management because of some little thing. People really need to relax, because NOTHING AND NOBODY ARE PERFECT. My two cents.

You clearly aren't the woman who sued Micky Dee's over spilled hot coffee...
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry User

They must not use AppWorld too often. They offering almost $100 in premium apps and technical support to anyone with a BlackBerry. They've went up and beyond their means to compensate us. What where they honestly missing on the internet. 85% with a blackberry must have a laptop within reach. People always trynna get over.

Thanked by:
    maddie1128 (10-26-2011) 
    maddie1128 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

If iWas RIM iWould countersue for wasting good brain stress that could be put on BBX

sapperuk likes this.
    CrackBerry User

What I would like to see the Judge do is declair this a frivolous suit and toss it out. He should make sure that person who filed it pays for all of the cost for the time it cost to process the paperwork. I have not seen a landline phone company pay when something happens to their lines. I am thankful that it was not worse. With a system as large as BlackBerry's, they got the problem contained and fixed in short order. There is always someone trying to get something for free no matter how small. Ultimately the ones that are going to suffer is the customers that have to pay more for a phone or switch to another brand of phone. If this suit is allowed to go through, where does the money come from - higher prices to customers. I truely wonder what the real reason for fileing the suit is. The only ones to make any money with it are the lawyers.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,952 Global Posts

That wasn't a class action suit. Anybody can sue anybody as long as you can file paperwork and ante up a fee. These types of lawsuits are the reason so many products have innane and stupid warnings on them.

Even my folgers coffee can has a warning stating: "Brew responsibly, hot coffee can burn you." Really?
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
    graxyq likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Lawsuit should be towards the service provider rather than RIM.
    We as customers do not deal directly with RIM, nor do we pay them any "monies" directly for the service we receive.
    I've been compensated in the past for 3days lack of BIS service, when I received a non functioning BB during an upgrade and had to wait for a replacement.
    The service providers should acknowledge this and compensate us.
    Blacklac likes this.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...outage-664723/

Another thread on the same thing?

CrackBerry User

PIN
    ask me

all this is a JOKE has no ground to proceed to be certified....what is wrong with some people...like find something else to do...unreal!!
    Proud owner of BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-5 OS10.2.1.2947 & Dev Alpha.... coming soon Z30 [STA100-5]
    Jake Storm likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If some of these jokers live in India, they will do really well. They are like some of the cheap activists in India who go to court saying some minister missed one word while singing the national anthem and so on!!! Cheap publicity..
    CrackBerry Genius

While that one is typically held up as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, the woman did only sue for medical expenses after she suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns from the scalding hot coffee that would have been undrinkable at that temp by anyone human anyway.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN

It's funny how people think it's so easy to sue any big company because they watch too much TV or read about the woman who got stuck to the toilet seat in a commercial airliner.

If that were true than companies like RIM would never allow the circumstances where those servers stopped working, after all, they are designed to work 24/7 and a failure of that magnitude was caused by management of the lack of proper management.

If Judges were not tossing legitimate cases out of the courtroom every day than companies like RIM would be forced to take serious matters more seriously as a way of doing business instead of trying to round off all the corners so a few guys at the top have more money to pocket when all is said and done.

So go ahead and defend a big company every time they screw up their customers if you like but its the millions of average Joe's who suffer because of this low brow mentality that all law suits are frivolous and that the courts are clogged with these suits because you read about some woman suing over hot coffee or some self entitled actor suing just because they have the expendable cash.

If the courts dropped the hammer on corporate irresponsibility and dishonesty in a huge way then we would all be better off and listening to implausible excuses to the point of lying would be more rare than the expected norm that they are in the business world today.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

I hope they succed. Against against RIM
    I paid subscription for 1 month and for 4 days it wasn't working

I paid for a service. Which was not rendered

mustangv8 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,499 Global Posts
    PIN
    33257ED2

Yea if I were RIM I would want this to go through as a class action or they will be hurting even worse.
    Words of Reason sent from my Nexus
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    eapple. Grill it. It's Delicious

Next time my cable goes out I think there should be a class action suit.

Even better my internet at the office went down and Verizon had NO IDEA why or how long it was going to take to fix. Maybe we have a claim.

Totally pathetic but it is the world we live in.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast