Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs up I got a $25 service credit for the 12/17 BIS outage

So like many of you I called at&t on the 17th inquiring about the service outage. I spoke with a nice guy who called me back a couple of times Thursday afternoon to update me with the status of the outage.

On his second call to confirm everything was working, I asked him what at&t would be doing to compensating their customers for the outage. He asked me to call back in a day or two once everything was sorted out.

So I called today to follow up, and was offered a $25 credit to compensate me for the outage. I thought that amount was more then fair, at first i thought they would try and offer me $0.80 for the prorated period where the service wasn't working or something crazy like that. So thumbs up to at&t for offering a generous credit for a problem that originated on RIM's end.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Ask for it

I would have offered $.80 and that's $.80 more than you deserved for a blackberry outage, not an AT&T outage.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    it on the other guy =D

You're lucky you're not a verizon customer. You would've been lucky to even get the $.80. Glad to hear you got good serivce, but bum is right- it wasn't your carrier's fault.
    If I turn into another. Dig me up from under what is covering the better part of me. Sing this song. Remind me that we'll always have eachother when everything else is gone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,357 Global Posts

Maybe I am the fool but it wasnt anyones fault but RIM and I wouldnt think about asking for money back- I guess ATT has enough bad publicity with the bad service so they have to do something
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,474 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

I kind of agree with these guys its rims fault
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Don't post your PIN online, people.

Just so you know, getting frequent adjustments can backfire. Also, it decreases the value of your account. Which is bad.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

from a customers perspective it doesn't mater who's fault it is. Also, part of my $30/month that I pay at&t goes to RIM to host the BIS servers. I expect at&t and verizon will ask for a credit for the outage or have some other agreement in place for a situation like this.

Telling me that since it was a problem on RIM's end means at&t has no responsibility is BS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Xiado View Post
    Just so you know, getting frequent adjustments can backfire. Also, it decreases the value of your account. Which is bad.
    What do you mean?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    PIN
    KY: I think so Brain, but does white wine go with fish?

climbguy,

What they're saying is too many credit adjustments on your account and when you have a serious problem. You'll get something along the lines of 'sorry we can't help you, or no further adjustments on your account due to previous adjustment history' They can be nice and probably deserved but they can bite you in the end. Either for a serious issue or if you try to see about an early upgrade at times.

00smurf
    speaking from experience of a long term issue never resolved and when trying to explore other options, due to adjustments AT&T shut the door on me and even let a customer of over 14 years just walk away no struggle.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by climbguy View Post
    What do you mean?
    Well, frequent adjustments and calls to customer service cost AT&T money, often more than you pay for your service. But people have ridiculous expectations, despite the contract stating that AT&T is in no way responsible for 3rd party services, such as the BLACKBERRY INTERNET SERVICE, PROVIDED BY RESEARCH IN MOTION.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Ask for it

from a customers perspective it doesn't mater who's fault it is. Also, part of my $30/month that I pay at&t goes to RIM to host the BIS servers. I expect at&t and verizon will ask for a credit for the outage or have some other agreement in place for a situation like this.

Telling me that since it was a problem on RIM's end means at&t has no responsibility is BS.
    Please tell me how AT&T has ANY responsibility considering your browser and BBM worked?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Weekendbum View Post
    Please tell me how AT&T has ANY responsibility considering your browser and BBM worked?
    I really don't understand this argument. I pay a monthly fee for email on my phone, each moth the bill comes from AT&T, on the bottom of the phone there is a big AT&T logo, the phone came in a box covered in AT&T logos and color scheme, I bought the phone from a store that had a big at&t sign on the front of it, the guy who sold it to me had an AT&T shirt on and my receipt says AT&T.

Last year I had a problem with a toilet in my house. So i called my land lord and asked him to have it fixed. He sent a repair man to fix the problem, however we started to have the same problem again the next day, I called him again. The process continued for about 3 weeks. The land lord wasn't a handy man, so he hired someone else to do the job, however I still held my land lord responsible for any problems with the house. The same rules applies here.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

I really don't understand this argument. I pay a monthly fee for email on my phone, each moth the bill comes from AT&T, on the bottom of the phone there is a big AT&T logo, the phone came in a box covered in AT&T logos and color scheme, I bought the phone from a store that had a big at&t sign on the front of it, the guy who sold it to me had an AT&T shirt on and my receipt says AT&T.

Last year I had a problem with a toilet in my house. So i called my land lord and asked him to have it fixed. He sent a repair man to fix the problem, however we started to have the same problem again the next day, I called him again. The process continued for about 3 weeks. The land lord wasn't a handy man, so he hired someone else to do the job, however I still held my land lord responsible for any problems with the house. The same rules applies here.
    Great answer. You have a contract with AT&T. You have NO contract with RIM and as such have no recourse with RIM. AT&T probably has a contract with RIM in which there is an agreement for RIM to provide BIS for every BB that AT&T sells with a BIS plan and AT&T agrees to pay RIM a fee.
    I imagine all the carriers will get a rebate or credit from RIM for this outage. Whether and how they pass it on to their customers is up to them. The squeaky wheel got $25 in the OP's case.
    Target for termination

Global Posts
    30,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Quote Originally Posted by jahoobob View Post
    Great answer. You have a contract with AT&T. You have NO contract with RIM and as such have no recourse with RIM. AT&T probably has a contract with RIM in which there is an agreement for RIM to provide BIS for every BB that AT&T sells with a BIS plan and AT&T agrees to pay RIM a fee.
    I imagine all the carriers will get a rebate or credit from RIM for this outage. Whether and how they pass it on to their customers is up to them. The squeaky wheel got $25 in the OP's case.
    No way do they get 25 dollars per customer thou. Like you said the squeaky wheel.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN

The nail that sticks up gets pounded down after a while, though. Frequent adjustments may be reversed simultaneously if you irritate a manager with an unreasonable demand.

If you're not making the company any money, they won't care if you take your alleged business elsewhere.

RIM does not reimburse carriers for BIS outages. In fact, RIM has been voiding service codes to prevent free support calls to them.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

The nail that sticks up gets pounded down after a while, though. Frequent adjustments may be reversed simultaneously if you irritate a manager with an unreasonable demand.

If you're not making the company any money, they won't care if you take your alleged business elsewhere.

RIM does not reimburse carriers for BIS outages. In fact, RIM has been voiding service codes to prevent free support calls to them.
    I really don't understand your argument here. There was a major outage in a service I pay for. I called the company I contract out for that service, they steped up and took responsability and offered a very generious credit. This was simply good customer service.

I don't call customer service all the time, only when I have a problem or issue. Not being able to send/receive emails definitly counts. If at&t drops me for calling when there is a service outage, I'll go sowhere else.

I also find it odd, that all the posts on this thread are from vzw.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

I really don't understand your argument here. There was a major outage in a service I pay for. I called the company I contract out for that service, they steped up and took responsability and offered a very generious credit. This was simply good customer service.

I don't call customer service all the time, only when I have a problem or issue. Not being able to send/receive emails definitly counts. If at&t drops me for calling when there is a service outage, I'll go sowhere else.

I also find it odd, that all the posts on this thread are from vzw.
    looks like u made the big time, lol Here's your 15 minutes of fame:

Blackberry Outage: RIM Should Compensate Users - PC World

Well, frequent adjustments and calls to customer service cost AT&T money, often more than you pay for your service. But people have ridiculous expectations, despite the contract stating that AT&T is in no way responsible for 3rd party services, such as the BLACKBERRY INTERNET SERVICE, PROVIDED BY RESEARCH IN MOTION.
    They'll flag the account and have notes from previous CS employees warning to not basically do anything for you. Your considered a PITA after that...
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he did not exist...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by TheBr0ken View Post
    looks like u made the big time, lol Here's your 15 minutes of fame:

Blackberry Outage: RIM Should Compensate Users - PC World
    Wow I am famous, My grandma may want to hang the blog post on her fridge

Quote Originally Posted by SevereDeceit View Post
    They'll flag the account and have notes from previous CS employees warning to not basically do anything for you. Your considered a PITA after that...

Honestly, I really don't understand the hostility. Every BB user should recieve a credit for an outage like that or the one yesterday. Granted I think $25 is high. As I said before, I was expecting $10 or less.

What is customer service for, if it isn't for issues like this?
    CrackBerry User

I disagree with those who say that AT&T holds no responsibility. I pay Verizon 29.99 for my data service. This does not include my SMS only. SMS was the only thing working last night besides the phone. RIM is accountable to the carriers, not the subscribers.
    Verizon is responsible for my interuption as they are my contracted provider of BIS and who I pay for this service. They in turn pay the third party (RIM). The dependability of RIM's Internet services are starting to become suspect.
    CrackBerry Newbie

The conversation that I just had with AT&T about any potential service credit inspired me to sign up here and share my experience.

Not only was the billing person that I spoke with totally unaware of the Blackberry outage from yesterday, she indicated that even if there were such an outage, AT&T would not issue any service credits since it's not their fault.

Needless to say, I'm not very impressed.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,156 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Scan It

I was going to post on this earlier today/last night, but didn't want to waste the space in creating a thread. Since one's been created though, I'll add my experience.

While I was standing outside about 6pm EST last night waiting for tardy dinner companions I called 611. The *ONLY* purpose of my call was to see if, in the absence of any "real" information from RIM, ccare had any new notes on the outage. I had a nice talk with the VZW ccare rep (they're all nice talks, #1 customer service for a reason) who, with no prompting on my part, told me she was going to issue a $25.00 "goodwill" credit to my account. She apologized for the inconvenience (which of course wasn't her fault, but a nice gesture), and we disconnected. Early this morning I got both an SMS and an email from VZW, auto-generated, confirming the $25.00 credit had been applied to my balance due on 12/30/09. Wow.

When you consider that the pro-rata "compensation" is more in the neighborhood of a buck (cumulative of 12/17 & 12/22 disruptions), this was way above and beyond. Since calls are recorded and notes are logged, I'm comfortable that I won't be hot-remarked as a PITA, as was implied earlier. IMO someone at VZW must have empowered ccare to issue credits at their discretion.

Regardless, it was another above and beyond gesture by VZW, and one I'll always keep in mind if I happen to consider changing providers - not for the $25.00, which is a fraction of my monthly/annual spend - but because it's emblematic of how deadly seriously VZW takes customer service. Besides, while I don't individually have a contract with RIM, VZW certainly does. I'm comfortable that VZW will more than recoup my goodwill credit by way of a far more substantial credit to the carriers to compensate them for increased labor and other costs as a result of the 12/17 and 12/22 outages.
    Always Handy:Storm2 Tips & Tricks >|< Learn It, Live It, Love It: Proper Upgrade/Downgrade Procedures
    Need Memory? Click Here: Increase Your Memory!
    The 11/3 Project!All the flawed logic of a raving madman... with jokes! >|< Best Themes Around: *RJ Design*
    CrackBerry Addict

I could easily gripe and get a credit, but what the heck, it wasn't really Verizon's fauly and I don't feel like griping at them, so far after buying Alltel they have been ok to me, still miss my Alltel service though, I don't get any "benefits" from the merger.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Scan It

Quote Originally Posted by MrShawn View Post
    I could easily gripe and get a credit, but what the heck, it wasn't really Verizon's fauly and I don't feel like griping at them, so far after buying Alltel they have been ok to me, still miss my Alltel service though, I don't get any "benefits" from the merger.
    Who griped?
    Always Handy:Storm2 Tips & Tricks >|< Learn It, Live It, Love It: Proper Upgrade/Downgrade Procedures
    Need Memory? Click Here: Increase Your Memory!
    The 11/3 Project!All the flawed logic of a raving madman... with jokes! >|< Best Themes Around: *RJ Design*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast