Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By nomi1978
  • 1 Post By Darlaten
  • 1 Post By samab
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    PIN
    ATA
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Arrow Former RIM Employee to 'The Guardian' on UK Outage & Issues (?)

excerpted...

"The Guardian has reported that a former RIM employee has contacted the newspaper to say that RIM has been "ignoring problems with its server architecture that could prove its downfall for years.

"They didn't start looking at scalability until about 2007, when they had around 8m active devices. The attitude was, 'We're going to grow and grow but making sure our infrastructure can support it isn't a priority'."

The former employee continued: "They have their own clunky infrastructure to do something that you don't really need a clunky infrastructure to do anymore."

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/228787/20111011/blackberry-rim-bbm-data-outage-bbm-down-email-t-mobile-research-in-motion-news.htm

----------------------------------------

Can somebody tell me that this source is a disgruntled, sour grapes employee and that he is sorely off base on his asssessment... please?

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

Well without going into details. I can say that while they may not have started to look into the systems until 2007. They have been aggressively working towards upgrading the infrastructure to ensure they had enough capacity.

RIM's subscriber base grew quicker than what they anticipated and had to work quickly to make sure they could handle the growth. Can things be done better sure, what system is perfect. But they are working on ensuring optimal user experience.
    Thanked by:
    Buzz_Dengue (10-11-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    947 Global Posts

Until it's known / publicized what the problem was, it's pure speculation to say it's because of an inherent design problem / scalability problem.

"ex" employee often means disgruntled, for one reason or another... often "gruntled" employees won't talk to the press and slag their old employer if they left on good terms... this person sounds eager to slag RIM... whatever, BIS is down, and that's absolutely not good, but as to the cause, well, we'll have to wait.
    CrackBerry Genius

I agree with the above poster - anything by a "former employee" needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I find it always odd how former employers are so quick to point out whats wrong with a company and then fail to mention why they left or were sacked from the company they are so quick to criticize. Until RIM says something as to the cause of the problems, then this is just purely speculation by someone who has an axe to grind because he was canned.
    The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ask anybody in the media industry, attributing quotes to sources such as 'a former employee', 'a source', 'an analyst' etc in a news article would normally mean a cooked up story.. and this looks like one.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

There's nothing greater than the anger of a former employee's words spread across the tabloids...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

There is a reason why RIM has decided to put QNX into their email servers --- and it's not because the Playbook requires a special QNX server. Just like how Microsoft re-architectured the entire Hotmail backend from unix to Microsoft Windows server (took about 3-4 years after they bought Hotmail), RIM is re-architecturing their entire email servers to QNX.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by graxyq View Post
    Ask anybody in the media industry, attributing quotes to sources such as 'a former employee', 'a source', 'an analyst' etc in a news article would normally mean a cooked up story.. and this looks like one.
    How many people leave companies because they do not agree with current management?

How many RIM executives left recently again?

Disgruntled could also mean frustrated with upper management and their stubbornness for ignoring the obvious.
    Last edited by sosumi11; 10-11-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Global Posts
    10,038 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

basse vengeance ?
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Safety or stick?

I know nothing about the Guardian. Therefore, my first question is: The Guardian, is this a reliable and reputable news source, or is it like the National Enquirer is in the USA...a rag of a tabloid?
    Torch 9800, 9810, STL 100-3 Z10, 10.3.0.1130
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

The Guardian is a mainstream traditional newspaper with a center-left political slant. It is not a "tabloid" such as the Sun and the former News of the World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,021 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    I know nothing about the Guardian. Therefore, my first question is: The Guardian, is this a reliable and reputable news source, or is it like the National Enquirer is in the USA...a rag of a tabloid?
    The Guardian is one of the top newspapers in the UK -- definitely not a tabloid rag.

The story came out yesterday in the Guardian. The OP wouldn't know that since he apparently just copies and pastes items from his Google news feed indiscriminately.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by newcollector View Post
    I The Guardian, is this a reliable and reputable news source
    yes, but your question should be:
    is the `ex employee` disgruntled, overemphasising things, or simply spot on. THAT is the real question. which im sure we wont ever really know.

Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900

For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    943 Global Posts

I think it's unreasonable to assume that this employee is "disgruntled" or was a problem employee.

If someone sees the outcome of a situation, isn't it safe to assume that they would want to leave for something better?

I'm not saying RIM is dying but if I was an employee of a mismanaged company I would say something about it after I left. Doesn't mean I hate the company. Many people who worked for RIM loved it but if it is making mistakes that can affect their life in the future it's not wrong for them to leave or be upset about management decisions.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

It's not really about tabloid vs. newspapers vs. tech blogs.

Most of the RIM stuff are too technical --- even for tech blogs.

What we know is that RIM's NOC was designed with 1 person using 1 device in mind. This weakness has nothing to do with "scalability" in terms of numbers of Blackberry users as stated by this "former employee".

RIM has to re-architecture the NOC servers to get the Playbook into their overall system.

After Microsoft bought Hotmail --- Microsoft spent the next 4 years migrating the Hotmail servers from Unix to Windows server OS. RIM bought an OS company (QNX) --- of course they are going to migrate their NOC servers to QNX. But that has nothing to do with rumors that QNX handsets requiring QNX NOC servers to get push email.
    kbz1960 likes this.