Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs down SaskTel's Blackberry Z10 users told to wait for upgrade

So I, like some others, have been patiently waiting for the .10 upgrade from my carrier Sasktel. Every time I log into BB Link I'm prompted to upgrade to .9 even though I've upgraded both wired and OTA and my software shows I'm already running this version (that's beside the point but I find it a bit odd so I thought I would mention it).

Today while doing a search for a clue as to when Sasktel would roll out the .10 upgrade I came across this story:
    SaskTel's Blackberry Z10 users told to wait for upgrade - Saskatchewan - CBC News

"SaskTel says allowing customers to upgrade now would interfere with the Blackberries' roaming capabilities."

Anyone else think this is bunk? They are talking late April before making the update available.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I know now not ever start a new contract with Sasktel. Sad very sad!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

And now we can not enjoy whatsapp because the upgrade us a requirement of the app. #timeforachange @sasktel

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

And all the other wonderful new apps coming to bbw! Just wait until end of April OMG!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    In my pants.

why do you need an OS update to run Whatsapp?
    Phone: Bold (9000) | Torch (9800) | Torch (9810) | Z10 : 10.3.1.1151 | Passport : Defective waiting for replacement
    Tablet: Playbook 64G WiFi QNX
    CrackBerry Addict

When I read their reason I can't help but see "We care very little for you as a customer, so instead of working on a solution, we're just telling you to suck it up and take what we dish out."

Glad I went with Telus for my mobile service, and glad we had already decided to switch our home phone service.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by jchavealot View Post
    And all the other wonderful new apps coming to bbw! Just wait until end of April OMG!

Posted via CB10
    I don't know why u need the update but you do. I am one very unhappy sasktel customer. Burns me to think they are doing their part to absolutely screw BBRY.
    CrackBerry Abuser

CrackBerry Abuser

U.S. #BlackBerry10 Launch on March 21st will bring new surprises and intro to 10.1. Too bad all excitement excludes #Sasktel customers!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Buy a bell sim card from the souce for 5$ then put it in update, then put your sasktel card back in then pass along the bell card.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Works like a charm, costs all of $5 from the Source. You put the Bell sim card in, hook up to wifi and check for updates, download the update, put your sasktel sim card back in and start downloading some of the new apps. Has to be a Bell sim card as Sasktel gets their phones from Bell and Sasktel Z10's are not locked to Bell but they are to all other carriers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Awsome download!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

What's the process to get the Bell SIM Card from The Source?

I have been to two different stores and attempted to purchase one and neither of the associates I dealt with would sell one to me.

The last one even said why do you need a SIM card, just take the SaskTel SIM card out and download the update via Wi-fi without a SIM card. Of course this didn't work.

Does the Bell SIM card need to be activated?

Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    CrackBerry Abuser

No it does not, my only problem was that the salesperson wanted to tell me how much better the deal was for my z10 from them... you just need the unactivated sim card, which should only be $5. I felt kind of silly buying it and wondered how they would react, they were kind of unsure about it but sold it to me. I had stopped at another source and the person there was extremely understanding when I told him what I needed it for but they were out of sim cards.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Got Bell SIM card last night at The Source and as soon as I popped it in my z10 and did the Software update search the new version was there and I had absolutely no issues installing it!

So happy to have most recent update installed on my phone!

Downloaded WhatsApp Messenger right after as well and it's working perfectly!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by chrispdm1 View Post
    No it does not, my only problem was that the salesperson wanted to tell me how much better the deal was for my z10 from them... you just need the unactivated sim card, which should only be $5. I felt kind of silly buying it and wondered how they would react, they were kind of unsure about it but sold it to me. I had stopped at another source and the person there was extremely understanding when I told him what I needed it for but they were out of sim cards.

Posted via CB10
    I'm getting an Update Server Temporarily unavailable message. Unactivated Bell Sim
    CrackBerry Abuser

Could be that it is genuinely down, let me know if it still isn't working later this afternoon and ill put my bell card in nd see if it says the same thing after I get home. Was working last night.

Posted via CB10