Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Poor users in Sask / Sasktel sold 2000 z10

"A number of Blackberry users say they're frustrated with SaskTel because the carrier won't allow people who use their new Z10 phones to upgrade the software.

The problem applies to roughly 2,000 customers who snapped up the phones when they were released last month.

Other national carriers are allowing customers to update the phone's operating system, which contains a number of new features, including slick new apps and a better ability to save battery power.

SaskTel customers like Francois Lachance will have to wait until late April.

"It's somewhat frustrating," Lachance said. "I mean, the battery-life thing is the biggest issue and I expected there would be a quick release not long after the launch of the new device."

SaskTel says allowing customers to upgrade now would interfere with the Blackberries' roaming capabilities."

SaskTel's Blackberry Z10 users told to wait for upgrade - Saskatchewan - CBC News
    CrackBerry Addict

"SaskTel says allowing customers to upgrade now would interfere with the Blackberries' roaming capabilities."

...seriously, I don't get it. How the world does the update interfere with BB's roaming capability? Should I call that statement bull?
    I use BB10...the blasphemy!
    CrackBerry Genius

Wow what a terrible company. If switch if I were on sasktel

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    In my pants.

This makes no sense to me at all...

1) I thought the "cell package" was suppose to be separate from the actual OS.
    2) How does an update interfere with you getting apps.
    Phone: Bold (9000) | Torch (9800) | Torch (9810) | Z10 : 10.3.1.1151 | Passport : Defective waiting for replacement
    Tablet: Playbook 64G WiFi QNX
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm a Sasktel customer, and yes this small company does have its issues. I have posted this before, but by looking at their website and talking with their sales staff iPhones are pushed, more often than not. I think they made a deal similar to Sprint but have just kept quiet about it. Should have seen the smirks and goofy looks I got when I asked if I could pre-order a Z10. I asked at three diff. locations, all same response, "Nope don't see there being a big enough demand to worry about pre-order". Well I can see they were right, if only 2000 sold, on the other hand, that could easily have been more if they actually tried to sell it. I have sent 3 different people in to get Z10 on their upgrade and they all came out with iPhones.
    Notcho likes this.
    CrackBerry User

well, they are the only company provides unlimited data, i got unlimited data, text, calls for $65...

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

One of the reasons I left Sask-Tel was the letter I received telling me that they were going to start throttling my "unlimited" data if I didn't start using less. I received that letter one month where I had close to 10Gig usage because my home internet (also Sask-Tel) had gone down for several days and I used my cell data more. Most months previous, my usage was around 3Gig.
    - Dr. Hannibal Moot

Come check out my BBM Channel, The Flaming Hetero C00122175 - "Only the facts, true or not."

Motorola StarTac - Blackberry Bold 9000 - Blackberry Torch 9800 - Playbook - Blackberry Z10 - Q5 - Z30
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,329 Global Posts

Another user posted that thus company has around 200 000 users. 1% of that is 2000, meaning that in one month the Z10 has taken a full percentage point of this company, even though said company us actively under selling it. If those numbers are even half that in following weeks we can see the Z10 and Q10 combo at around 5 - 7% by year end.

For a small company not advertising properly I would say that would translate into at least double the number for big carriers. If we see that then Bb10 easily cracks 10% market share.

Posted via CB10
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by FSeverino View Post
    Another user posted that thus company has around 200 000 users. 1% of that is 2000, meaning that in one month the Z10 has taken a full percentage point of this company, even though said company us actively under selling it. If those numbers are even half that in following weeks we can see the Z10 and Q10 combo at around 5 - 7% by year end.
    I don't know anything about the market there, but I can't imagine how those numbers could be right. I seem to recall they have a majority of the market there.
    CrackBerry User

SaskTel is just worthless company. They don't give a crap about anyone,,, all they want is there money. They have over 600,000 cell phones in use. As for the update that's another load of crap. Telus uses the EXACT same towers the saktel customers use and they got the update and all works for them.

Remember SaskTel is a province owned union operated company and they will ALWAYS do as they please. As soon as my contract is up in 1 year , its GOODBYE forever to sasktel
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by richardat View Post
    I don't know anything about the market there, but I can't imagine how those numbers could be right. I seem to recall they have a majority of the market there.
    You were right richardat - as always. Sasktel announced over 600,000 wireless customers last year. (incidently in 2010 they had 100,000 BB customers....which was 1 in 10 people)
    CrackBerry User

If a carrier is certifying an update they are doing so because the updates affects the radio stack. In this case, Sasktel obviously isn't sure about something that's changed with the radio stack and wants to test further.
    galleon, schmeat and birdman_38 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,329 Global Posts

You were right richardat - as always. Sasktel announced over 600,000 wireless customers last year. (incidently in 2010 they had 100,000 BB customers....which was 1 in 10 people)
    well what are the BB numbers this year? Yes they only have 20 000 Z10s, but how many other BBs?

(not trying to 'fanboy' but it would be interesting to compare last years numbers with this year)

and yes, i didnt think the numbers were correct... but i didnt have anything else to go on lol
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    CrackBerry Abuser

Off to the Source, to get a Sim card!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,670 Global Posts

You were right richardat - as always.
    Why are you promoting yourself?
    schmeat and richardat like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

How does 100,000 of 600,000 translate into 1 in 10? ...just asking

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeeten View Post

Posted via CB10
    He gave numbers for 2 different years. They must have dropped from 1,000,000 to 600,000 from 2010 to last year
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by raysgrumpy View Post
    He gave numbers for 2 different years. They must have dropped from 1,000,000 to 600,000 from 2010 to last year
    The province of Saskatchewan has approx 1 million people, so the 1 in 10, is one person out of 10 in Sask had a BB. or roughly 1 in 8-9 of people over 10 years old.
    Thanked by:
    richardat (03-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Wow, this is terrible. And I thought the one week wait for Bell customers was bad.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Buju Banton View Post
    If a carrier is certifying an update they are doing so because the updates affects the radio stack. In this case, Sasktel obviously isn't sure about something that's changed with the radio stack and wants to test further.
    Them wanting to test something is fine, however their excuse for the delay appears to be fairly ludicrously trying to fob off their customers with any old nonsense.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Not to mention the os update is a requirement for whatsapp and probably the next round of important apps. #timeforchange @sasktel

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by FSeverino View Post
    well what are the BB numbers this year? Yes they only have 20 000 Z10s, but how many other BBs?

(not trying to 'fanboy' but it would be interesting to compare last years numbers with this year)

and yes, i didnt think the numbers were correct... but i didnt have anything else to go on lol
    LOL. Yes, no problem. I only knew there must be something wrong because I had read once some time ago that Sasktel had a very large chunk of the market there....so I knew the numbers must be higher, otherwise, I wouldn't have looked into it.

The numbers I saw were the first ones that popped up in a minute of searching - they were allegedly from Sasktel. I also wondered what the BB numbers were more recently - they may be posted if somebody cares to look. I thought about it as well, and figured if they followed the general trend, then they are down from that 100,000 mark significantly - but not nearly as catastrophically as the US user base.

I also wondered if that 600,000 number represented cellphones...or smartphones....I believe it said "wireless customers", so I"m guessing the former.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Why are you promoting yourself?
    I recently learned from another thread that no matter how bizarre your reasoning and judgment is, if you simply declare yourself wright, then people buy into it! ;-)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by zeeten View Post

Posted via CB10
    Quote Originally Posted by raysgrumpy View Post
    Yes, sorry - Rsyl was correct. I was short-handing the points....one of their marketing points was that it represented 1 in 10 people in the province,
    SaskTel announces they have 100,000 BlackBerry customers | MobileSyrup.com

PS.(Good hypothesis Grumpy)
    CrackBerry User

If Sasktel keeps up the crappy service it will be 1 BB per every 100. Sad how they wont support the BB10 Potential customers read this and when they see sasktel wont offer the update till late April,, they are going to look for a different brand of phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast