Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    How is a slider a no compromise form factor, while you get both a larger display and a physical keyboard, it is bulkier and heavier and usually has a worse keyboard than the equivalent bold device.

All devices involve some compromises and as a compliment to the z10, the q10 makes far more sense than a slider because its area of no compromise is the keyboard itself.
    The keyboard on my 9800 is excellent and by no means a compromise.

Using the BLADE as an inspiration for a more technically achievable form factors is a great idea - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrownIsle View Post
    It will be on the table at some pointe, it's gotta be! I mean other than changing the design a bit- what other form factor or they going to do while releasing 6 phones?!

Maybe that is my HOPE talking! I LOVEEEEEEE the 9810 lol
    My dilemma is do I hold on for a bit to see if a slider does come along OR go for the Z10 because I can't wait to get my hands on something running BB10?

I'd lose it if I bought a Z10 today only to see a BLADE-esque phone released in 6 months.

What to do, what to do???
    Z10
    PlayBook 64
    Bold 9900
    Torch 9800 - retired
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stewartj1 View Post
    My dilemma is do I hold on for a bit to see if a slider does come along OR go for the Z10 because I can't wait to get my hands on something running BB10?

I'd lose it if I bought a Z10 today only to see a BLADE-esque phone released in 6 months.

What to do, what to do???
    Similar boat... Want to play with a BB10 phone but also really love the keyboard on the Q10. I always though the Torch would be my perfect phone but I just didn't like the way they did it. I still think there must be some way from an engineering standpoint to have a 9900 keyboard and a full size touchscreen with using manufacturing materials today but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can always sell your phone and use the money towards the next one. As long as it is a recent release, you should be able to recoup most of your costs. That way you could get a Z10 now and sell later for a Q10 or slider if they announce one...
    -------------------------------------------
    Current: Nexus 5 | PlayBook 64GB
    Past: 9000 > 9700 > 9800 > 9780 > 9810 > 9900 > Z10 > Z30 | Galaxy S2 > Nexus 4 | GalaxyTab 10.1 > Nexus 7 > Nexus 7 FHD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

Wouldn't the 9800 be considered a slider type phone. I liked it to some degree. The touch screen was not bad, but not as advanced as the new Z10. I used it extensively, and had no big issues. Since I got the new Z10, I am now very impressed with it. It is a terrific phone. The negative side is the battery life. I found it to go fast when very active. I can kill that battery in about 6 to 8 eight hours.

Jerry G.
    Jerry G.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24EF8E5A

the 9800 is a slider, yup. The 9800 and the 9810. LOVE THEM BOTH!
    "Do not boast old woman, your death sits in that cage."
    PIN- 24EF8E5A
    CrackBerry Genius

Odds are that the qwerty market will not sure another premium-targeted device for another year so it is perfectly safe to get a z10 now as a slider is more likely to be 18 months away than 6.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by CrownIsle View Post
    It will be on the table at some pointe, it's gotta be! I mean other than changing the design a bit- what other form factor or they going to do while releasing 6 phones?!
    Hitting lower price points and by the end of the year another higher end all-touch model can easily account for those 6 models without a slider being anywhere near it.
    CrackBerry Genius

The keyboard on my 9800 is excellent and by no means a compromise.
    Compared to the keyboard on the 9900, the keyboard on the 9810 is relatively speaking a compromise for that form factor. Don't get me wrong it is still a good keyboard, but does not quite match up to the gold standard.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    204512d1

I would love a "Torch" style BB10. Still went with Zed10 and will just have to join the masses with a full touch screen. One for sure for those complaining about the weight of the "Torch"; its tougher than the two Otter cases that I've went through. I havent used one in about 6 months now
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney
    Blacklatino and CrownIsle like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24EF8E5A

I just called . . . . . to say . . . . I love you 9810.
    "Do not boast old woman, your death sits in that cage."
    PIN- 24EF8E5A

Global Posts
    10,250 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

So, no BB10 Slider for awhile, or even worse, pass it off as cheap- just above a (future) BB10 Curve Model. You know what? I would still get it! At any rate, I'll wait and see what happens with the future models after the pending releases. Anyway, just purchased a couple of new housings on ebay for my 9810.
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Blacklatino likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    Blacklatino and Clinto like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Neither of those new designs are any good. They need something with the full sized large screen along with a keyboard that slides under it. They programmed the bb10 software to accommodate full sized touch and then small screen with keyboard but they didn't make an allowance to mix and match. This is something we have to hope they can change
    I want BB10 on torch hardware.

Global Posts
    10,250 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me. :)

Default Re: What is the likelyhood of a BB10 Slider?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom689 View Post
    Neither of those new designs are any good. They need something with the full sized large screen along with a keyboard that slides under it. They programmed the bb10 software to accommodate full sized touch and then small screen with keyboard but they didn't make an allowance to mix and match. This is something we have to hope they can change
    I remember Kevin posting pics for a RIM patent design years ago that later was released as the 9900. So, who knows what or when we will see a final product or a Slider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, Anger Management does work. 5th time is the charm.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: What is the likelyhood of a BB10 Slider?

He said at launch.
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader
    CrackBerry Addict

I know where you're coming from with the slider. I was kinda hoping that they would release one, in fact I was shocked when they didn't! For me and probably many other users the keyboard and larger screen is the USP for blackberry for me anyway. Maybe if BB were to bring out a slider it would be more along the lines of Nokia Google Image Result for http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/10x0914nojar3ur5e7.jpg that surely would be what business users would be going for.
    Thanked by:
    Tompire (03-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by lord of the flies View Post
    I've never had a Blackberry before, as I'm switching from a 4 year old iPhone 3gs. I really dislike it. I'm looking at the Blackberry London, but I am interested in having a go at the iconic Blackberry physical keyboard. Does anyone believe in a BB10 slider phone.
    People, People there is already a thread discussing this.... You might find better answers there. Here all ive read is [IDK] really... -.-'
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...o-news-763106/

but let me put it this way. there has been no talk at all about a slider device. You'd be waiting at least a year or more for one if it was to exist...
    ~εrin
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Berinry View Post
    People, People there is already a thread discussing this.... You might find better answers there. Here all ive read is [IDK] really... -.-'
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...o-news-763106/

but let me put it this way. there has been no talk at all about a slider device. You'd be waiting at least a year or more for one if it was to exist...
    False. There has been talk of a slider. There are threads and Crackberry posts going back over a year regarding "Milan" and its cancellation/resurrection. There is a lot of speculation, and nothing 100% concrete, but there certainly has been "talk" about a slider.

Also, Aristo isn't rumored to be a slider.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

TBH, I don't see a slider in the forseeable future...... The full-touch Z10 and the Bold-esque Q10 are capable of satisfying the vast majority of BB users (the Q10 for those that MUST have a physical keyboard, and the Z10 for those that want the same look/feel of the competing market). BB will look at how well BB10 takes off, without forking out more $$$ on developing additional devices. BB is not in a position to overendulge themselves by making too many choices for consumers just yet. Give it some time.
    Then I heard a voice of the Lord saying,"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said,"Here am I. Send me!"--Isaiah 6:8
    "Rangers Lead the Way!"
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

I just wish BB would comfirm what they are coming out with, I mean really why the secret.They said 6 phones coming, what are they? I would love a slider, love my 9810.
    Thanked by:
    Tompire (03-08-2013) 
    Flatman likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I was in the camp of those wanting a BB10 slider, as I was loving my 9800 and then my 9810, I found them to be best of both worlds at the time.
    I was struggling with the decision to go for a Z10 or a Q10... Since I couldn't wait to enjoy BB10 and didn't have the patience to wait for the Q10, I went for the Z10 to bridge the time until hopefully a slider version would be available.

I can now say with 155.79% certainty that I don't miss the slider keyboard one bit... it has the best touch keyboard, and it took me all about half an hour or so to stop missing my 9810 keyboard when typing... ok, maybe it took me a few extra hours to not have the urge to slide open the Z10 :-), but after a week I was typing as fast or even faster (thanks to the prediction and the flicking of words) than on my 9810...

I'm sure there will be a market for a BB10 slider, but I'm sticking with the Z10.
    9500, 9800, 9810, dev alpha, Z10, Z30 & playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts
    PIN
    Feel free to ask me my PIN via PM

Default What is the likelyhood of a BB10 Slider?

I would love for there to be a CDMA slider haha we have been left out

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    CrackBerry User

From what i recall there were three platforms in the works for bb10 before Mr. Heins took over.

Some where along the way the slider form factor was dropped, probably a wise decision considering how critical a smooth release of the long awaited new gen devices was.

That being said there must be some semblance of engineering already devoted to this form factor to pick up on. Whether BB wants the market share is another question, at BB10 launch the audience seemed to have a luke warm reaction to Q10 when mentioned while the BB10 experience forum in Toronto was much more responsive..

IMO the slider form factor does not directly relate to Q10 sales demographically but i see little hope for a slider if Q10 does not sell well and quickly.

I have a 9800 as well as 9810 and will verily snap up any new offering in the form factor BB releases but then again i was one of the die hards using function keys and "ALT-" commands to navigate MS Windows 3.1 (for workgroups!) well after the mouse became popularized..

And then Chicago solidified everything.

Maybe the Z10 is the Windows Chicago of the cell phone era and we just havent had the hindsight to realize it yet.

A little more variety would be nice Thorsten, not asking for 57, just a little slider. I am sure it would make a good chunk of your market (that few percent that always seem to haunt in the comScore surveys) feel good all under!

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sm4k View Post
    That being said there must be some semblance of engineering already devoted to this form factor to pick up on. Whether BB wants the market share is another question, at BB10 launch the audience seemed to have a luke warm reaction to Q10 when mentioned while the BB10 experience forum in Toronto was much more responsive..

IMO the slider form factor does not directly relate to Q10 sales demographically but i see little hope for a slider if Q10 does not sell well and quickly.
    You ask whether they want the market share from a slider when the real question is whether or not there actually exists a distinct market share that is slider-only, which does seem very unlikely given by the fact that pretty much all companies have tended to ignore the form factor in recent years. Also, it is not just the q10 that will be expected to take some of the slider sales, the z10 will also be expected to take some of them as well.

As far as the q10 only having a luke-warm reception, I am not sure which events you saw as the q10 seemed to be a big hit with everyone, media or otherwise.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast