Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

I'm on my second Blackberry and they've both been Pearls. The first the 8220 Flip and my now 9100 3G. My one and only compliant with the flip was the processor, after I upgraded to the 9100 I used more data in my first day then I ever did in a whole month with the 8220 Flip. Great platform, just wasn't capable of achieving much. The one & only reason I stuck with Blackberries was because of the size of the buttons the Pearls had, they were actually big enough to be used.

You wanna talk about the perfect phone get me a Pearl with a processor that the higher end bb's share and that's it!

Looking at what BB's are offering for future devices I'll have a vary wide range of manufactures to choose from once my 9100 becomes outdated.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    257A0AF9

I still use my old pearl flip 8220 and my wife used to laugh my "slow motion" blackberry, yeah I don't like her torch 9810 either, too big. Wondering if I can upgrade to 9100/9105 soon
    CrackBerry User

So... even if the Pearl is dead... I'm guessing that there isn't even anything vaguely similar that might make an appearance? I keep hearing rumors about all the awesome new Blackberry phones we're gonna get, but nothing in this form factor?

The keyboard on the Pearl actually appealed to me more than the larger number of smaller keys on the Curve/Bold. Plus the form factor is nicer, for me at least. I'd like to see something similar even if they don't call it a pearl.

But I guess we're out of luck!

Then again, when are we supposed to know semi-sure what the new devices will be? There's only two confirmed right now that I know of (there are sub-forums for those), but I assume there'll be quite a few more?
    CrackBerry Addict

The pearl is my absolute favorite form factor. I'd take it over a bold 99xx if given the same specs. I really hope they make another one.

Carrying large phones is becoming a hassle.
    Porsche Carrera S 997.2 -The Ultimate QNX Machine
    Porsche Carrera S 991 (Coming soon)
    toneytone likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Yeah pretty much. I wouldn't even want it to have the same specs as the Bold even, though getting fairly close would be nice. I'm more interested in basic functionality apps (calendar, mail, etc.), call quality, and a feeling of "snappiness." A lot of the fancier features are just icing on the cake that I could leave or take.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    PM me?

I'm with you there on the Pearl series being dead. I haven't heard news about it. That and the fact that the Pearl series is not as in demand as a full qwerty BlackBerry. If it's one thing that kills the Pearl, it's the fact that it goes against the norm of devices.

Yeah it was a good phone that got RIM off its feet and into the mantle of greatness, but I guess I'd much rater favor a newer BB7 or BB10 device with a touch screen, rather than have a qwerty keyboard like that of a Pearl. IMHO Many people don't like it as much as they like the other models. I for one am part of them.
    BlackBerry is my phone of choice. No other phone gives me the same experience that BlackBerry does .
    CrackBerry User

Which is all well and fine -- but there isn't really a proper small-ish (i.e. easy to use one-handed) smartphone on the market that can compare to the ease-of-use that I personally felt the Pearl had.

But eh. I guess I can pick up an old one instead if nothing new comes out that can compare.

Speaking of -- when are the new phones going to be announced "for sure?" October?
    CrackBerry User

Hate to bump the thread, but I think we've got a lot more information now than we had back in May/June...

Any idea if we're going to see another small form factor BlackBerry?

I don't care that much if it's a "Pearl" though that would be nice, just something with the smaller size. I liked the keyboard on the Pearl a lot too, larger buttons and more than one letter per key.

I know that we'll start seeing phones released in early 2013. That's great. But I really do wish they'd go ahead and tell us more about which kinds of phones to expect. Seems to me like it'd help the hype instead of hinder it and if customers had a better idea of what was coming up in 2013 they might be less likely to swap brands while waiting.

Or maybe not, but yeah. Any news yet on a small form factor BlackBerry? Either a Pearl or a replacement for it?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,774 Global Posts

The Curve 9320 is the replacement, iirc.

It might be possible that there is one last Pearl, a 9160/9150. But it requires a newer generation of smaller and more efficient chips. And don't forget this is supposed to be a low end device.

i think I'd be happy if such a 9160 is a bit thicker than a 9100 to fit everything inside it.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > WebOS > iOS > Android > Symbian > Meego
    CrackBerry User

I don't really consider the Curve a successor to the Pearl though -- it has a full keyboard, which I dislike, with tiny keys. The draw of the Pearl series for me was that it was somewhere between the layout of a traditional phone and a smartphone. It's also not as small narrow, the Pearl was easy to use with one hand in comparison, and I don't like using two.

You might be right about it being the intended replacement, but yeah.

I hope you're right about the 9160/9150 thing though. I hadn't heard that, but if it does happen I'll buy it. Thickness is fine with me too. I don't care so much about it being thin, I just hate them all being so wide.

Thanks dude!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

I really hope that there isn't a new Pearl. Not because I dislike that series. I think they were brilliant.

But I think RIM needs focus. You can see in their OS6 and 7 devices where there are devices with touch screens and devices without that it really hurts the UI to have to cater to both. A Pearl's small size makes touch screens tough to use, and if RIM once again makes the UI cater to both touch and non-touch screens, I think they will fail.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,774 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by val_lixembeau View Post
    I really hope that there isn't a new Pearl. Not because I dislike that series. I think they were brilliant.

But I think RIM needs focus. You can see in their OS6 and 7 devices where there are devices with touch screens and devices without that it really hurts the UI to have to cater to both. A Pearl's small size makes touch screens tough to use, and if RIM once again makes the UI cater to both touch and non-touch screens, I think they will fail.
    Obviously this new Pearl would be running BB7.1 or whatever is based directly on it. BB10 will simply not translate to a Pearl.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > WebOS > iOS > Android > Symbian > Meego
    CrackBerry Abuser

I quite like the pearl, i was very tempted on getting one instead of the 9300 but opted for the qwerty keyboard.

But its a great phone for people who prefer the "normal" keypad rather than touch or qwerty.

I just hope BB10 will not be all touch screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300
    BB User since 2008! - Currently using 9800/9790/Q10 - C0040B178
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PacmanUK1 View Post
    I quite like the pearl, i was very tempted on getting one instead of the 9300 but opted for the qwerty keyboard.

But its a great phone for people who prefer the "normal" keypad rather than touch or qwerty.

I just hope BB10 will not be all touch screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300
    Ahh... Where have you been? LOL! There will most definitely be an all touch BB10 device.

Sent from an Unkown Device using Tapatalk
    Don't be afraid to LIKE or say THANKS

BlackBerry Experience: BB Curve 8330 >> BB Bold 9000 >> BB Curve 3G 9300 >> BB Bold 9900 >> BB Q10 >> BB Classic (PRE-ORDERED)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

I hope all the old series will be dead.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

Default Re: Safe to assume the Pearl series is dead?

lol the pearl was a complete girls phone that was handicapped by yesterdays limited tech. Who cares?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

Default Safe to assume the Pearl series is dead?

That was my favorite phone of all time. I have had more mobile phones than I can recall and tons of different Blackberry phones. Using an iPhone 4S now. Really miss that pearl. Perfect size and shape. Great to travel with. If they made that phone with HDMI out and full size BT keyboard support I would be in phone nirvana.
    CheddarTrek likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Safe to assume the Pearl series is dead?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerryGuy25 View Post
    Ahh... Where have you been? LOL! There will most definitely be an all touch BB10 device.
    At the time of posting that I was not really reading into bb10 as much as I am now.

I was just saying that i hope that all future Blackberry devices are not going to be just touch screen because i prefer a QWERTY keyboard.

Ofcourse this is not the case now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    BB User since 2008! - Currently using 9800/9790/Q10 - C0040B178
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    PIN
    2890D720

Default Re: Safe to assume the Pearl series is dead?

Since purchasing a playbook my use of my 9900 has been dramatically cut. I carry my playbook everywhere. If I had my choice to buy either the N-Series or a flip pearl. I would go with the smaller device hands down.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I still use the pearl 3g uk version, it is an excellent phone and i for one would love them to release a new version as it is perfect for what i need it for, 10 years texting with a nokia makes you used to the key layout, it is easy to carry in your pocket, no one has ever tried to steal it, and it works hand in hand with my playbook beautifully, we don't all need to have the latest touch screen phone some of us over 30ish still love a standard keypad layout, as it is perfect for dialing a number to make a call or sending
    a quick text
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12