Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Safe to assume the Pearl series is dead?

Looking at the leaked RIM road map, there's no mention of one. Not on OS7. Not on BB10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

smartphones are becoming the norm. the pearl was a great transitioning device, but that time is over now. the new curve 9350/60 are small and light enoigh to transistion pearl users over to a full qwerty experience.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    sledhead800 likes this.

Global Posts
    31,007 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

Biggest problem is the trend towards devices with touchscreens. The small screen of a Pearl doesn't give much to a touch interface.

And carriers seem to be straying from smaller-format devices, also. There weren't many carriers that took on the 9100 series.

For some folks, that's quite a shame.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts

Yes, the Style and the Pearl series don't seem to be coming back.
    Perhaps life is just that...a dream and a fear.
    Banned

PIN
    = | = :niϤ

i think the pearl would be WAY too small to have a touchscreen or even powerful specs.
    its been designed to be a communication tool + brick breaker tool lol

but i would like to see it continued because I do see some people still rocking that thing and they still love it.

Give it an update
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,327 Global Posts

i think that is a safe bet to make. i know very few people that still have the Pearl series. it was a good thought on RIM's part to make a more sleek/compact BB but it has pittered out with how the market is now headed. But still it was solid enough for Gerald BUtler to use for a good while, he even used his own personal BB in one of his movies he loved it so much
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
    sledhead800 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

If RIM continued the Pearl line it would be like shooting themselves in the foot. It's time to simplify the product line.

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Newbie

Pearl looked very good to me. Although it could not have big features with that small screen, but if you dont need those apps and touch screen it was a very good device that could fit in your pocket!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

I think there may still be a BB7 version eventually.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego

If one line has to go, I'd say it is the Curve really.

Bold for QWERTY - 2 devices, low and high end (9900/9790 anyone?)
    Torch for Touch Screens - 2 devices, full touch and slider (as I said, curves would be gone)
    Pearl for a classic candybar feel and tiny package. No touchscreen (and hopefully no UK keyboard as well >< )

But then again... I have a feeling all current device families may hit the sack by the time BB10 comes out.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Curve keyboard > Bold keyboard. this will always be true.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    Curve keyboard > Bold keyboard. this will always be true.
    I had both and I can't say one is better than the other. They are just different.

Most people will disagree with both of us and say that Bolds have the best one though.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry User

I have yet to make the transition to a smartphone (I'm on these forums b/c of my Playbook), but I've been seriously considering getting a BB to pair up with the Playbook.

I don't want a touchscreen and I'm not a big fan of a QWERTY keyboard on a phone/device that I don't intend to be typing much on. The Pearl is perfect.

If there isn't another non-QWERTY option in the next few months I'll probably pick up an old one... at least it will be cheap, but I do think there might be a market for it still. The Pearl Flip would be nice too, though I won't hold out hope for two Pearl options.

Or they could come out with a new line and call it something else, so long as it was a similar form factor. Bah.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
    I have yet to make the transition to a smartphone (I'm on these forums b/c of my Playbook), but I've been seriously considering getting a BB to pair up with the Playbook.

I don't want a touchscreen and I'm not a big fan of a QWERTY keyboard on a phone/device that I don't intend to be typing much on. The Pearl is perfect.

If there isn't another non-QWERTY option in the next few months I'll probably pick up an old one... at least it will be cheap, but I do think there might be a market for it still. The Pearl Flip would be nice too, though I won't hold out hope for two Pearl options.

Or they could come out with a new line and call it something else, so long as it was a similar form factor. Bah.
    Check out the Pearl 9100. it's a little older. but it is still really awesome. Doesn't do Hotspot though.

Also there's the Curve 9360. it has a full keyboard, but it's compact enough that it should be OK.
    CrackBerry User

Doesn't do Hotspot? So I couldn't use Wifi on it? Or do you mean something else?

That'd be a nice option (since I probably wouldn't want to pay for a data plan), and it'd be free with the contract agreement or whatever.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Doesn't do Hotspot? So I couldn't use Wifi on it? Or do you mean something else?

That'd be a nice option (since I probably wouldn't want to pay for a data plan), and it'd be free with the contract agreement or whatever.
    Hotspot allows you to share your internet connection with WiFi enabled devices.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Check out the Bold 9930/9900 series they are different than the others in size and have both keyboard and touchscreen.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

I certainly hope the Pearl series isn't gone for Good,

I really Hope RIM pushes BB10 with the Curve, Bold, Torch, London lines and after gaining traction in the market place they get back to looking at different form factors

I REALLY Believe their are key markets that a full featured Pearl and Style could do well in, the Style died because it was a Sprint only phone, like COMEON! the Pearl just didn't have what that form factor needs.

the Pearl form factor needs to cater to the music junky, the uber athlete, it isn't the techy phone, but the sleek communication and entertainment device.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,695 Global Posts
    PIN
    vokestackimbalance was detected

Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    the Pearl form factor needs to cater to the music junky, the uber athlete, it isn't the techy phone, but the sleek communication and entertainment device.
    Have we not learned anything from the PlayBook? Don't enter markets that Apple has a stranglehold on. Something tells me they have the music phone covered.

For the cheaper markets, I could see the product doing all right. But with the iPhone 3GS still out there, I see the new Pearl only doing well until the market is penetrated by Apple.

If this device would be released in North America, meaning Canada and the States, it would be a failure, garunteed. I could see success only in the other world markets.
    Last edited by brucep1; 04-19-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brucep1 View Post
    Have we not learned anything from the PlayBook? Don't enter markets that Apple has a stranglehold on. Something tells me they have the music phone covered.

For the cheaper markets, I could see the product doing all right. But with the iPhone 3GS still out there, I see the new Pearl only doing well until the market is penetrated by Apple.

If this device would be released in North America, meaning Canada and the States, it would be a failure, garunteed. I could see success only in the other world markets.
    I disagree that Apple has the Music phone locked,
    The iPhone is big, not huge, but big, so people carry the iPod nano / Shuffle for music, and don't bring their phone.
    The Pearl has the potential of fitting in the Middle, and RIM doesn't need to be the ONLY product, the PlayBook still sold, just not at iPad numbers, and a Pearl still could sell, just not at iPhone numbers.

Every phone doesn't need to be the top seller, just fill niche markets that can use more.
    oops...
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. \
    bigbmc26 and Mr.Monty like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ac35f30

i miss my old Pearl, i loved the size and Suretype. i was actually discussing this with a friend the other day...if i can find a nice unlocked 9100 sometime, id love to sport that thing around. a pearl with the trackpad, not the trackball? 3g? yes please! now i really kinda want one...

also, i think a refreshed 9100 type phone might go over well with the curve in emerging market.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Unhappy why? Why? WHY???...

I am morning the lost of the Pearl series. I bought a used 8120 on CraigsList so I could learn how to support BlackBerries at work. It was love. Well after a week of getting used to the keyboard. I love the SureType. Yes, I think they should continue to develop it for those entering the SMART phone market. It got me hooked. Now I am a devoted BlackBerry user. I tried an Android for a week and turned right around and sold on eBay. It didn't give the me the options like a BlackBerry (I am a control freak). I also got a 9100. Loved that phone too. I'd get another if they would put one out. BlackBerry. Are you listening??
    ~paula
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,695 Global Posts
    PIN
    vokestackimbalance was detected

Quote Originally Posted by deRusett View Post
    I disagree that Apple has the Music phone locked,
    The iPhone is big, not huge, but big, so people carry the iPod nano / Shuffle for music, and don't bring their phone.
    The Pearl has the potential of fitting in the Middle, and RIM doesn't need to be the ONLY product, the PlayBook still sold, just not at iPad numbers, and a Pearl still could sell, just not at iPhone numbers.

Every phone doesn't need to be the top seller, just fill niche markets that can use more.
    The big positive of the PlayBook, and really the only positive, was getting it's next gen operating system in the hands of consumers and developers. From a profitability standpoint, or really any other business standpoint, the PlayBook didn't succeed.

The iPhone might not have the music player locked down, but with it's ipod lines it does. Odds are, people that want the niche market your talking about already have an ipod or nano. In this day and age, if you really wanted a music player, why go through the trouble and pay for a data plan with it?

Agree to disagree. I just don't think this is where RIM should be allocating ANY of their time right now.
    I survived the Storm of 2008 and the PlayBook of 2011.
    CrackBerry Master

Pearl doesn't have Wi-Fi Hotspot, in other words it can't function as a Wi-Fi access point using your data plan. However, it does have Wi-Fi for accessing public and private Wi-Fi hotspots.
    CrackBerry Newbie

The Pearl 9100 is great. I tried the new Bold and sold it - didn't like the keyboard (I have large hands) and found the touch screen a bit pointless with a full keyboard and trackpad. I went back to the Pearl 9100 as I love
    - the compact size
    - Suretype is amazing once you are used to it ,
    the keys are larger than any other Blackberry
    - it works great as a phone/email/text/twitter/etc machine ONE HAND ONLY !

In combo with a Playbook it is perfect...

I would love to see a new version of the Pearl 9100, not everyone wants to walk around with a small bathroom vanity mirror attatched to their ear all day.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast