Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nefiasm
  • 1 Post By Fubaz
  • 1 Post By SF71
  • 1 Post By Playbookrocks
  • 1 Post By Bla1ze
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Rumour: BlackBerry R Series

Hi

At 'berryreview', there is a entry regarding a new bb10 rumor mobile following L and N series for mid market devices, the R series (curve). Expected to be released in May!

Not much information available. To be honest, it is not a big of a suprise, once we are expecting 6 releases for 2013, nevertheless I think everyone here at CrackBerry would like to know and perhaps some one could confirm.

Rumour: BlackBerry R Series will follow L and N Series - BerryReview.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Weren't the supposed to streamline their product portfolio, you don't do that by rebranding the names, I just thought keyboard models (Bold,Curves) would be N and Touch based models would be L... seems simpler.
    To innovate is to create the MP3 Player, to revolutionise is to create the iPod.
    CDM76 likes this.
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

I was the one who wrote the article. They did not disclose a lot of information, but said it is a great phone. They also said the London will be better specced than the iphone5, and be competition for the SG3.... but also they said that it might flop, because it ISN'T the iPhone.

@Nefiasm, all devices have internal code names. All devices from here on out will feature a touch screen. L and N will be the flagship touch and touch+qwerty. R will be the curve line. M is rumoured to be the slider.
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview
    CheddarTrek likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nefiasm View Post
    Weren't the supposed to streamline their product portfolio, you don't do that by rebranding the names, I just thought keyboard models (Bold,Curves) would be N and Touch based models would be L... seems simpler.
    seems every line will have it's own letter. R series will be lower-end qwerty, or non-touch qwerty. Both would be interesting to see with BB10. I'm pretty sure it would just be a little bit cheaper Nseries with the traditional curve keyboard, but 720x720px screen.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Nefiasm View Post
    Agreed. I feel it would really be in their best interest to focus on TWO phones devices for now. I think they would seriously be spreaded thin if going in that direction. At least in the beginning. I just read about a A-Series. SMH....what is that all about?
    Last edited by SF71; 10-05-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts

There's going to be an A series now!
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry User

The A series has a bigger screen than the L series just by a bit but I hope they relese 4G versions in the UK when BB10 come out could be the phone that saves RIM and put BlackBerry in No.3
    CrackBerry User

I can only see this A series going as an LTE. Nothing more, nothing less. So in the US that's the top three and Tmo more picking up the rear in the later part of 2013. Unless it hits towards the end of 2013. Like final quarter. Ttheir LTE should be up and running by then.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    seems every line will have it's own letter. R series will be lower-end qwerty, or non-touch qwerty. Both would be interesting to see with BB10. I'm pretty sure it would just be a little bit cheaper Nseries with the traditional curve keyboard, but 720x720px screen.
    I'm wondering how they could make a BB10 phone that doesn't have a touch screen when BB10 is all about no buttons. I'd bet that the R series (Curve equivalent) will have touch screen, with the same resolution even, but be made of cheaper materials. Perhaps lower-spec'd but I don't know if they could get away with less RAM or a weaker processor. I think it'll be a TI processor (maybe like the PlayBook 4G) with no LTE, smaller form factor than the N series, and maybe they'll have a straight-version of the Curve keyboard if not the same (but smaller) keyboard of the N-series.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts

Problably will be smaller, more plastic, and lower specs. But it will be a touchscreen, like the 9790 vs 9900.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    R series will be lower-end qwerty, or non-touch qwerty.
    Non-touch qwerty (with LTE)
    Please
    And Thank You
    Otherwise I'm out
    If not RIM, then who?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Bring on the B series....I want the Blade (slider) wow!
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Please put Autofocus in your new Curves RIM, it's about time I think seeing as the last one was the 8900.
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Rumour: BlackBerry R Series

Has anyone ever given thought to the A-series being the new Playbook class. I have nothing to base this on, but after reading on it (A Series) and reading that a new playbook is coming around the same time, in 2013, as the rumored A Series. It's very interesting to think about. Any thoughts other than calling me a dumbass. lol.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,655 Global Posts

Be a pretty tiny playbook.

My thought is that it will compete with the really big screen smartphones.
    CrackBerry User

Lmbo!!!! Atleast you didn't call me a dumbass! Lmbo!!!!!

Ya that was my thought when I first saw the spec as well.
    Last edited by SF71; 10-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,443 Global Posts

R-Series - Same size as N-Series.. 720x720 of course, straight keyboard, Curve keys instead of Bold. Touchscreen, microSD slot, HDMI port.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by 2:
    ayekon (11-05-2012),  motor96 (11-30-2012) 
    ayekon likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    993 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bog4hire View Post
    Please
    And Thank You
    Otherwise I'm out
    If not RIM, then who?
    Non touch? How do you expect to move around the OS without a touch screen? Bb10 was built for touch
    Thanked by:
    ayekon (11-05-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Please
    And Thank You
    Otherwise I'm out
    If not RIM, then who?
    I think you will be out in that case, the chances of them doing a non-touch bb10 is stupidly low given how integral it is to bb10.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    R-Series - Same size as N-Series.. 720x720 of course, straight keyboard, Curve keys instead of Bold. Touchscreen, microSD slot, HDMI port.
    Given this will be a lower end model, it will be interesting to see where they reduce the spec from N-series to provide the savings, the obvious ones would be:

Slower processor - nobrainer
    Less storage space - not too bad an issue if they don't skip a microsd slot too
    Less memory - lower multitasking expectations on a budget model
    Cheaper quality screen - the only thing we can expect is that it will have the 720x720 resolution

Beyond this stuff it will come down to things like cheaper materials for the casing, possibly a smaller battery, maybe omitting things like the microSD or HDMI port or using a cheaper camera.

Even though they add to the cost, I think that both NFC and LTE will still make it into this model, they seem to have committed to NFC going forward and there is no dodging LTE with VZW or AT&T.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,260 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINned to The Shepherd!

Please
    And Thank You
    Otherwise I'm out
    If not RIM, then who?
    Try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised. I was one of those who didn't think a kb model needed a touchscreen. Then I got the Palm Treo Pro and found out how wrong I was. Touchscreen phones are great, keyboard phones without touch are good. But the combination of both can be awesome! You start developing a few personal touch shortcuts to doing things and there's a lot that becomes quicker and easier. It's what got me to switch from the dark side.
    More thoughts at Bill's Spiritual Musings. http://www.bills-musings.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

I use my 8900 as a remote for my playbook. QNX can be navigated via buttons and touch pad. The mix of buttons and touch isn't for me. Please preserve the Curve line.

8900 (w/o BIS) > Palm Pixi > 9930 + Playbook (WiFi)