Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    CrackBerry User

The problems with the playbook in this front are the problems with the QNX phone, we shall see next week, how they are going to improve the playbook. Though it would be to their advantage if they were to use super or HD AMOLED screens for the phone and could scale the screen size so all Playbook apps could run on the QNX phone at the gate. Be cool if you owned an app for one and could use it on the other. Especially if the apps were changed to take advantage of cloud storage...play a game on one go to the other device and it could pull down your scores and saved games.
    CrackBerry User

I don't understand why people here are saying that a touchscreen phone is what RIM needs right now.

Blackberry core customers are those who have been purchasing the keyboard phones for decades now. Moreover, I don't think that customers who have had previous experience with iphone/android will switch over to Blackberry from those devices.

If I want a touchscreen, then I'll get an iphone with IOS5, simple as that. There is a reason why its the phone with the highest sales on the touchscreen market; because it has proven that it works great, has a great software and many apps to support it.

Blackberry users that have been using BBs since day 1, don't need things to play around with like a touchscreen. If RIM now brings out another generic touchscreen phone like the storm there is absolutely no way it will be able to compete against iphone or android.

Most people I know that have BBs, also have iphones and use their BB for email/bbm mainly. Almost everyone at my university has a BB because of the cost efficient and practical way of communicating (BBM). People won't feel a need to buy a touchscreen phone from RIM because they either already have an iphone/android phone or would get one of those instead.

RIM has always had success by targeting its phones to the "niche" market of business customers and students. If it now decides to take a different route and target their phones to main market, they will fail miserably in my opinion. Furthermore, RIM's track record with touchscreen phones (storm) already has such a negative standing, that people just won't want to be fooled again into buying a crappy phone.

However, this doesn't mean that I'm not anticipating what is to come from RIM in the future, I'm just saying that from a business perspective the phone divulged here just doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by EBSNW1; 10-17-2011 at 04:04 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Becuase more and more people, including business clients, are switching to full touch screen Android/iOS devices. If RIM wants to maintain marketshare and capture new marketshare they need to offer a competing device.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
    Becuase more and more people, including business clients, are switching to full touch screen Android/iOS devices. If RIM wants to maintain marketshare and capture new marketshare they need to offer a competing device.
    Did you even read what I wrote? There is no way they will be able to compete!

Mark my words, if RIM brings out this phone, I'd suggest placing a put option on those RIM stocks to make some decent cash.
    CrackBerry User

So you are suggesting that RIM should only make keyboard phones. Experience smaller and smaller market share and reside themselves to a niche market. Nobody is going to flock to a bold to watch movies, play great games, etc. If RIM is having difficult breaking into the expanding consumer market with their touch screens then they need to bring more to the table.

My husband a long time bold user is only holding on to his bold because he has been uncomfortable switching to a touch screen. But since owning an ipad, that uncomfortability is no longer there. Now his work is doing iphone trials and has signed up. More and more businesses are doing this and using things like Good Technology to provide the security for their device. I think you overestimate business attachment to RIM and youger business people wanting more from their phones.
    Last edited by Huot; 10-17-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

Just give me a Bold 9930 keyboard, a lil bit more screen real estate, a bigger battery, and 4G and I'm sold. It will almost never happen, as the trend is going towards these skinnier, flimsy, touchscreen phones.
    I will show you the err of your ways

Dang, now my post count is lower than before, how am I ever gonna get any respect from CB users? LMFAO
    CrackBerry Addict

RIM will continue to be a force in the business market. However, the lack of a keyboard on this alleged phone shows that they're really trying to push their way into the consumer marketplace to take on Apple and Google.

RIM will always hold a minimum marketshare which is the business user community. It's all about the keyboard. Hopefully they realize that and don't depart from producing phones that carry this feature down the road (though knowing Lazaridis, he's stubborn enough to keep putting keyboards on phones even when they're connected to our brains and we can think-to-type).
    CrackBerry User

RIM won't be giving up the keyboard, as long as there is demand. I believe a slider and keyboard BBX will make an appearance not long after the release of their non keyboard phone if this is indeed the root they take.

I just think releasing a touch phone first that can maybe tap into all the playbook apps that are already out there, means a phone launched with thousands of apps. Launching a keyboard phone as the first BBX will have a much smaller app count which it will get hammered with.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts

From what I have read, the keyboard will initially be OUT. That's unfortunate because the excellent BB keyboards are both a serious draw to Blackberry devices and one that keeps people like me coming back. Developing skill with an on screen keyboard (Apple and Android) was a PITA, and one I'd gladly let atrophy. I thought the strategy was to get everyone who had a Blackberry to buy a Playbook... making a smaller, maybe 4 inch, Playbook with phone radios doesn't strike me as smart. Only people with poor vision and fat fingers (me, me) will be wanting a Playbook. What would be smarter is making a QNX phone that can seemlessly run both BBOS and QNX apps.

"Just give me a Bold 9930 keyboard, a lil bit more screen real estate, a bigger battery, and 4G and I'm sold. It will almost never happen, as the trend is going towards these skinnier, flimsy, touchscreen phones. " ... I totally agree. In fact, I'd go for a THICKER device. We already know phones are getting montrously huge, so small dimensions is not the end all be all. Further, if you use your phone alot, having it a little thicker is a plus because it is easier to hold. Thin is only good to the point where a phone's main use is hampered by awkward ergonomics. I've added battery packs to most of my phones over the years, and never bemoaned the slightly larger bulge and heavier weight when I slip it into my pocket--especially when the trade off yields all day, everything on, use.
    CrackBerry User

Default blackberry's keyboard sucks

RIM is going down for sure. Their bold and curve have double typing issue, bad build quality. and they totally ignored this serious problem, pretended nothing happened
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 51smoker View Post
    RIM is going down for sure. Their bold and curve have double typing issue, bad build quality. and they totally ignored this serious problem, pretended nothing happened
    I don't know, Smoker... go to a store and check out the 9930... it is a serious device.
    CrackBerry User

Ill be using my 9700 until a BBX slider is out. Physical keyboard and big screen in a smaller form factor than the current Torch slider is the ticket for me. Can't get my free upgrade until March anyway.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Well why hasn't anyone mentioned the update picture with the BB London being the first QNX BB phone running BBX? I think it look freaking awesome. Kinda made me look twice cause it reminds me of the Nokia N8 at first lol.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Heck as large as phones are getting now RIM could easily do a slider with BBX that has the full 99xx keyboard on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Slider's have been done and personally I love the Torch but I want to see them try and make a wicked full touch screen phone. RIM should get their foot in that door because there's no one trying to compete with them with physical keyboards. They've released one of the bet keyboards in the 9900 and 9930.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Yes a decent screen size. Correct! Ff its not 4G then were in for a another disappointment.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    WoW gold|Diablo 3 Gold|kaufen Guild Wars 2 gold
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,537 Global Posts

Why did you necro a year old thread.....? 0_o

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12