Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM should ditch the "Storm" moniker

Why is RIM continuing with the "Storm" name? Seems like with the disaster of the Storm 1, and the slightly better Storm 2, they should stop right there and let that name go. I mean, why continue to replicate failure? That phone made a bad impression with a lot of people. Now the Storm 2 supposedly isn't compatible with the new OS6 upgrade? That is sure to upset more Storm users.

If they want to stick with a "forces of nature" name, they can go with Cyclone, Hurricane, Tsunami, Supernova or anything other than Storm.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    by PM only!

If it weren't for the fact that the 9700 is getting it....it might be better. The phones came out within weeks of each other!

PIN
    by PM only!

and both have 256 MB of RAM

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

It's already been said that Verizon nixed releasing BB6 on the S2, not RIM. So what that means is that you will have to be patient and BB6 will leak for the S2. I just quietly mourn at the fact that my S1 will never get an upgrade.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Default agreed

I too think it'll be better for rim to just drop the storm moniker and choose a new one. start fresh with a new name and make sure the device is amazing and do more than barely keep up with with current smartphones.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,012 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antjonz View Post
    Why is RIM continuing with the "Storm" name? Seems like with the disaster of the Storm 1, and the slightly better Storm 2, they should stop right there and let that name go. I mean, why continue to replicate failure? That phone made a bad impression with a lot of people. Now the Storm 2 supposedly isn't compatible with the new OS6 upgrade? That is sure to upset more Storm users.

If they want to stick with a "forces of nature" name, they can go with Cyclone, Hurricane, Tsunami, Supernova or anything other than Storm.

ah, I think you are overstating your case. besides, a form-factor's name will remain with it through years of iterations. It's not like the S2 is an "Edsel".
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by TipTheScales View Post
    It's already been said that Verizon nixed releasing BB6 on the S2, not RIM. So what that means is that you will have to be patient and BB6 will leak for the S2. I just quietly mourn at the fact that my S1 will never get an upgrade.
    My feelings. My wife and I are so happy with the Storm 1.

This will probably cost RIM a lot of goodwill!
    Visit my BlackBerry blog! I'll improve it soon!

My other blogs:
    Palm - Windows Phone - Symbian - iPhone - bada
    CrackBerry Addict

if they drop the storm line, they might as well drop the torch line while their at it.

both lines have taken a lotta beating in the media. they deserve every lump to the head since they designed phones with so many problems.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    ah, I think you are overstating your case. besides, a form-factor's name will remain with it through years of iterations. It's not like the S2 is an "Edsel".
    The Storm2 wasn't as bad as the Storm 1, but it almost seemed like the Storm 2 was put out to show what the Storm 1 was SUPPOSED to be. Like trying to save face.

If the form-factor's name will remain with it through years of iterations, why is the 9630 a "Tour" and the 9650 a "Bold" and they are the same phone?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    3257ab3f

Didn't tour vs bold have something to do with the fact they wanted to split up the CDMA and GSM names, but then decided to just call it the bold?
    CrackBerry User

I don't even know if RIM really wanted to split them up...I'd imagine that the AT&T "Bold" line was an exclusive at first, so the similarly specced CDMA phone was dubbed the "Tour" until the exclusivity part passed.

Anyways, I see no reason to dump the Storm name at this point...although if they are going to label the Odin refresh this year a "Storm 3" that will have nothing new but a memory bump and OS6 they want to consider names carefully before release announcing a Storm 4 a couple months later at CES...
    Last edited by ottscay; 08-05-2010 at 02:42 PM.