Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Post Perfect screen Size for Storm 3

What do you guys think?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

does it really matter?? plus this will probably be moved to the rumored phones forum on here
    Current Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

Future Device: Droid Bionic 4G!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I wouldn't mind if the screen was a little bigger....My younger sis just purchased the htc hd2 and all i can say is wow!!!lol I wouldn't mind if R.I.M decided to release a berry with a screen that size.

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    I wouldn't mind if the screen was a little bigger....My younger sis just purchased the htc hd2 and all i can say is wow!!!lol I wouldn't mind if R.I.M decided to release a berry with a screen that size.
    remember, with a screen the size of the HD2, the battery life is extreamly bad. Not many people can go an entire day without charging that phone 2 times a day.
    Current Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

Future Device: Droid Bionic 4G!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mjbesen310 View Post
    remember, with a screen the size of the HD2, the battery life is extreamly bad. Not many people can go an entire day without charging that phone 2 times a day.

^^^true....I guess need to to start thinking about the cons huh...lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Nothing larger than the Storm1/2 please. Larger screens mean worse battery life, and worst of all, it would be harder to use with one hand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Nothing larger than the Storm1/2 please. Larger screens mean worse battery life, and worst of all, it would be harder to use with one hand.

^^^i understand...Although ill be willing to sacrifice a hand for more screen real estate....I have rarely use my s2 with one hand.....I can see how it would bother some though....

If Storm-3 is ever released most of the now-available screen sizes will probably be obsolete.

It's early in the poll, I'll use moderator magic to add an "Other" option.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

that's cool^^^

No problem
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Harder to use with one hand and reduced battery life are both realistic negatives of a larger screen size. But I still like larger screens for all of their advantages.

I would actually like to see RIM decrease the bezel area on the Storm and use that real estate to increase the screen size of the same device. I wonder how much larger the screen would measure while keeping the device size and form factor the same.

What do the rest of our CB Storm users think of this notion?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
    ^^^i understand...Although ill be willing to sacrifice a hand for more screen real estate....I have rarely use my s2 with one hand.....I can see how it would bother some though....
    Yeah. I rarely use the storm with two hands, only when I'm actually stopped and typing a long paragraph.
    Actually, a widescreen wouldn't be too bad. Most of my thumb activity is concentrated in the southern region of the portrait screen for obvious reasons, so the phone being a little taller won't bother my at all (again, other than the battery life).

Banned

Global Posts
    3,064 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Berrydale View Post
    Harder to use with one hand and reduced battery life are both realistic negatives of a larger screen size. But I still like larger screens for all of their advantages.

I would actually like to see RIM decrease the bezel area on the Storm and use that real estate to increase the screen size of the same device. I wonder how much larger the screen would measure while keeping the device size and form factor the same.

What do the rest of our CB Storm users think of this notion?
    ^^^^^^i actually like the bezel...I think it gives the storm a distinct sleek look...

CrackBerry Genius

The bezel has its uses. Without it, the lower part of my thumb would come in contact with the screen more often when I reach over with my thumb. For example, if I'm not a little mindful, when reaching for the OP key on the SureType keyboard, my lower thumb may highlight the symbols key on the opposite corner. It never happens anymore though.

That's a more extreme example though. The bezel can simply act as a bumper and shock absorber too. Tempered glass is only weak at the sides.

Last edited by Masahiro; 04-24-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    The bezel has its uses. Without it, the lower part of my thumb would come in contact with the screen more often when I reach over with my thumb. For example, if I'm not a little mindful, when reaching for the OP key on the SureType keyboard, my lower thumb may highlight the symbols key on the opposite corner. It never happens anymore though.

That's a more extreme example though. The bezel can simply act as a bumper and shock absorber too. Tempered glass is only weak at the sides.

yeah, I just wish the bezel was the same width on all sides and didn't have that fairly thick thing as in the S1
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry Genius

Oh the bottom? Yeah… the problem is, the digitizer cable is on the bottom left corner, so I guess it needs a bit of space there. Of course it's less of a problem on the S2.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

I voted 3.7 inches as I can see either that or a 3.5 inch screen being the probable upgrade RIM will throw on there. Now if we were talking what I "wish" was on the Storm3, well then go ahead and slap a 4 to 4.3 inch screen on there lol. I would just hope RIM found a way to really conserve battery power cause it wouldn't be worth it to go from charging almost every two days, to charging everyday.

A man can dream though ha
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rello View Post
    I voted 3.7 inches as I can see either that or a 3.5 inch screen being the probable upgrade RIM will throw on there. Now if we were talking what I "wish" was on the Storm3, well then go ahead and slap a 4 to 4.3 inch screen on there lol. I would just hope RIM found a way to really conserve battery power cause it wouldn't be worth it to go from charging almost every two days, to charging everyday.

A man can dream though ha
    Yeah. If RIM could do the contortionism that Apple did in the iPhone 4 it would be possible, but right now I doubt it unless RIM buys a chip company.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego

Global Posts
    6,964 Global Posts

I don't know... I mean I think that if you start making phones too much bigger then it is not as useful phone because you start reducing portability. I mean throwing a large piece of screen in your pocket to go out, how big is too big? I think I would be happy if BB would just give user the capability to be a WiFi Hotspot, and then buy the tablet, netbook or Laptop of your choice to watch movies or do real web surfing on, using the phone as your gateway. I mean the other phones OS allow users to do this. And Tetherberry is not the same thing so please don't bring that up!! I would think watching a movie on any of the screen sizes listed above would be a huge strain on your eyes. A video out option though using the phone as a player would be cool though, like some of the new Droid phones putting in HDMI ports.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

id rather RIM keep storm2 size and increase resolution. Love the resolution on the droid.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The Evo and HD2 push the limit on pocketability. 3.7'' is ideal for content consumption and pocket-friendliness. The N1 and Droid with their 3.7'' screens aren't very much bigger than an iPhone.

I'd go 3.7'' for S3. That's a nice size as far as the high-end smartphones go right now. 3.2'' is a little too small, even the iPhone's 3.5'' is on the low-end of high-end smartphones.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    PIN
    31068f9a

I'll be really disappointed with RIM if they don't set the resolution of the S3 to atleast 800x480.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    Yeah. If RIM could do the contortionism that Apple did in the iPhone 4 it would be possible, but right now I doubt it unless RIM buys a chip company.
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by lnichols View Post
    I don't know... I mean I think that if you start making phones too much bigger then it is not as useful phone because you start reducing portability. I mean throwing a large piece of screen in your pocket to go out, how big is too big? I think I would be happy if BB would just give user the capability to be a WiFi Hotspot, and then buy the tablet, netbook or Laptop of your choice to watch movies or do real web surfing on, using the phone as your gateway. I mean the other phones OS allow users to do this. And Tetherberry is not the same thing so please don't bring that up!! I would think watching a movie on any of the screen sizes listed above would be a huge strain on your eyes. A video out option though using the phone as a player would be cool though, like some of the new Droid phones putting in HDMI ports.
    I definitely see what u saying. i honestly have never even picked up an HD2 so I don't know what size a device with a 4.3 inch screen would be. It definitely wouldn't be (as) pocketable but damn............. just thinking about a 4.3 inch screen and watching videos on it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside lol.

Quote Originally Posted by japhule View Post
    I'll be really disappointed with RIM if they don't set the resolution of the S3 to atleast 800x480.
    Don't worry homie. If you've read some of the Storm3 hands on articles out there, they have said that the screen supports 16.7 million colors, and while sitting next to the Droid, it "blew it out the water", referring to the screen. As you know the droid is 800x480 (or somethin like that) so if this is true.........I know what my next device will be
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    PIN
    31068f9a

For some reason the droid is actually 854x480 which is slightly higher res than every phone available AFAIK which is true 16x9. The next iphone is supposedly 960x640, it sure would be nice if the S3 would be that res but this is RIM we're talking about. Honestly, I was hoping the S1 would be 800x480 since there were phones out back then with that resolution.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of success

As far as battery life goes, if RIM re-wrote the stack for the S3 like they did for the 9700 they could probably get away with increasing the screen size a good bit while keeping the same battery life as we have now with the S2.

If they were really smart about it, they would implement some energy capturing tech into their use of piezo and further improve battery life, but probably the most they could save using that method would be 15 minutes (complete guess here) worth since the application of the tech would be so small. For heavy texters and emailers it could make a difference though.
    "You cannot help those who are unwilling to help themselves."
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    R1 Riders Unite!!! r1-forum.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast