Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Non-camera version of a Blackberry 10 phone?

Has there been any recent word on RIM providing a non-camera Blackberry 10 model. My job does not allow me to bring a camera phone to work so I would be very interested if one was available. I currently have a non-camera Bold 9650.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

There hasn't been any leaks of that nature yet, but the odds are that it will be something that can be specially ordered via a carrier even if they are not directly available in the stores.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,674 Global Posts

RIM is committed to the business world. Camera-free versions should be out at the same time or shortly after.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    RIM is committed to the business world. Camera-free versions should be out at the same time or shortly after.
    I know with the last Bold model they released a camera-free version and I'm hoping they do the same with the shortly after the keyboard BB10 model is available
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Default Non-camera version of a Blackberry 10 phone?

I'm guessing if they do release a non-camera version, it will be a Q10 model

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mot700 View Post
    Has there been any recent word on RIM providing a non-camera Blackberry 10 model. My job does not allow me to bring a camera phone to work so I would be very interested if one was available. I currently have a non-camera Bold 9650.

BB recently patented something related to some sort of camera delay. Maybe that's in the new bb10 and camera can be managed from the Enterprise side or how ever that works.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,546 Global Posts

Wonder if they are more likely to have a "disable camera" policy with BES than to manufacture a non-camera phone at this point?
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    CrackBerry Addict

Just buy a z10 and stab it in the eye with a pen

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Thanked by:
    KermEd (05-02-2013) 

Global Posts
    6,485 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

There are definitely policies in BES to restrict the camera or disable it completely.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

--Mark Twain
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Although you can disable the camera in the policies, there are workplaces which insist on having no camera physically present.

There hasn't been recent word, but BlackBerry very much understands this... Does that answer it well enough?
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

These workplaces will likely change policies. Front facing cameras nearly impossible to remove easily. NSA IS looking at changing their policy, allowing only govt owned devices into classified areas. BB10 would fall into that category.

Keep in mind that there ARE cameras in certain classified areas, and at some point we will see the same growth in video calling on that side we see on the unclassified side.

BB/RIM said yesterday they have NO current plans for a camera less BB10 device.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,674 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    BB/RIM said yesterday they have NO current plans for a camera less BB10 device.
    How hard would it be to make one? You just remove some thingf from the OS, take out the camera, and cover the gap in the battery cover.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

These workplaces will likely change policies. Front facing cameras nearly impossible to remove easily. NSA IS looking at changing their policy, allowing only govt owned devices into classified areas. BB10 would fall into that category.
    Yes, the policy is now, no phones at all from outside of the company.

Not sure why you would think removing a physical feature is hard.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    How hard would it be to make one? You just remove some thingf from the OS, take out the camera, and cover the gap in the battery cover.
    I would guess, that how QNX works, by just not having the hardware, then the software options would not work.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by LoganSix View Post
    Yes, the policy is now, no phones at all from outside of the company.

Not sure why you would think removing a physical feature is hard.
    The front camera is part of the device. No one is forcing apple or Samsung etc to make camera less devices. Why should BlackBerry do this when no one else is, it's about time to level the playing field. BlackBerry will eventually be allowed in classified areas, and BB10 will follow I'm sure. Keep in mind this is a very very small market, the camera less 99xx was just released.

Posted via CB10
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.

Global Posts
    10,494 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganSix View Post
    I would guess, that how QNX works, by just not having the hardware, then the software options would not work.
    Uh that's how everything works lol.

Posted from my Dev Alpha
    Thanked by:
    KermEd (05-02-2013) 
    ajst222 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts
    PIN

theres a tutorial online for removing front and back cameras from a nexus 4, i dont know if itll be as easy for the z10, but im assuming its similar
    Removing the Cameras of the Nexus 4
    I dont know if you want to go this route, but it seems like a solution for the time being.
    Download The EGO Mag Online app for Blackberry 5,6,7, Playbook and the all new Blackberry 10!
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/24193889/

A Gentleman's Guide to a Better Lifestyle!

Global Posts
    5,810 Global Posts
    PIN
    Feel free to ask me my PIN via PM

Yea I remember on Verizon they had the cameraless version of the Tour 9630, Bold 9650, and Bold 9930. Only keyboard phones since those who usually use them are enterprises or businesses (which often require a lot of emailing). So I'll bet that the cameraless BlackBerry would be the Q10.
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM

If you like my posts, you should visit the site where I write at gadgetnerdly.com
    If not, you should visit it anyway

Global Posts
    5,810 Global Posts
    PIN
    Feel free to ask me my PIN via PM

The front camera is part of the device. No one is forcing apple or Samsung etc to make camera less devices. Why should BlackBerry do this when no one else is, it's about time to level the playing field. BlackBerry will eventually be allowed in classified areas, and BB10 will follow I'm sure. Keep in mind this is a very very small market, the camera less 99xx was just released.

Posted via CB10
    The cameraless 99xx was released alongside the original release of the phone...and cameraless BlackBerry is very important to a lot of businesses. I'll use General Dynamics for example (just because they happen to be in my town). They use BlackBerry, and most employees are not allowed to have a camera depending on their department since they do a lot of government secret work.
    My goal here is to help out and provide knowledge! Feel free to shoot me a PM

If you like my posts, you should visit the site where I write at gadgetnerdly.com
    If not, you should visit it anyway
    CrackBerry Genius

They will not build a camera less phone. It is more costly to have two products which are almost identical. Blackberry is trying to streamline their product line. That is why there won't be a 32 or 64GB Z10/Q10. If a business doesn't want phones, then they should already have a MDM solution in place. BES 10 will take any BB10 device and disable the camera.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Wonder if they are more likely to have a "disable camera" policy with BES than to manufacture a non-camera phone at this point?
    That is what they have in place. We have tested it and it does disable the camera.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ajst222 View Post
    The cameraless 99xx was released alongside the original release of the phone...and cameraless BlackBerry is very important to a lot of businesses. I'll use General Dynamics for example (just because they happen to be in my town). They use BlackBerry, and most employees are not allowed to have a camera depending on their department since they do a lot of government secret work.
    BES 10 will be the solution.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Man this is disappointing news.

I have a government job that requires NONcamera phones. Having a phone that once had a camera will literally get me fired. Even if I cut out the camera and filled the hole with epoxy. (One guy tried that. No dice) I realize the cost and consequence involved for RIM in producing two versions of their products. But it remains my only option for a smart phone at work. Guess I'm stuck with my ancient feeling Bold 9650.

I had high hopes for the BB10....
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
    Man this is disappointing news.

I have a government job that requires NONcamera phones. Having a phone that once had a camera will literally get me fired. Even if I cut out the camera and filled the hole with epoxy. (One guy tried that. No dice) I realize the cost and consequence involved for RIM in producing two versions of their products. But it remains my only option for a smart phone at work. Guess I'm stuck with my ancient feeling Bold 9650.

I had high hopes for the BB10....
    If it is a Government job that requires a no camera phone and they don't have an MDM solution, then they don't know what they are doing. The German government ponied up with BB10 phones.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    288986cf

Buy a high powered laser and aim it at the camera lens.
    killthedope likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast