Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Lightbulb Here is my design for one of the rumored devices this coming year...

Hey everyone.

So I know, I know, lots of rumors and speculations...

What I want is a blackberry with a large touchscreen and a physical keyboard that is portrait and not compromised in any way. I'm not sure why RIM would deviate away from such a winning formula and release a whole bunch of nonsense when, like Apple, they can have one standard winning device that pleases all crowds, or at least most.

So, I'm not a designer of products by any means, and I know my drawing skills are lacking, but I've attached what I feel would be the "ultimate" device that falls into the "rumors" of this coming year.

I'll give you some specs:

Snapdragon Processor (1ghz)
    1GB internal memory
    Forward facing camera for skype/ichats
    720p recording
    8mp camera
    wifi
    world phone (and cdma, or lte4 or whatever)

On the design side, think aluminum casing, edge to edge screen...QUALITY, SUBSTANTIAL build. (Talking directly to you RIM!)

The keyboard would slide down and then raise and lock just a bit to become flush with the device so it would be like the current Tour/Bold but then the keyboard just slides away

I know, this is an unrealistic wishlist that we'll never see from RIM because they are too stupid to realize a good product if it hit them in the face and stabbed their eyes out...buuuut...I'm hoping someone, somewhere sees this and gets inspired to create a phone like this. Worst case scenario it'll be an Android phone (in my dreams...somewhere...sometime...)

So here's my pencil rendering and comments. Let me know what you guys think Be nice

I wanted to throw a fingerprint scanner but something tells me RIM just isn't on the ball with that. I can hardly get an OTA download to load without bricking my phone, so I expect my fingerprint would be too sophisticated to act as a security measure...

-pbsd

P.S. I have other renderings, but i dont think they are that good...and I can make more detailed designs of this one...

EDIT: I added another illustration, this time of a similar concept, but for the pearl series...good to watch movies on with the 16:9 display. I did this one in pen, so it's a bit cleaner looking. Same idea that the keyboard lowers a and then clicks into place for the flush look and feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here is my design for one of the rumored devices this coming year...-pbsd_blackberry_design.jpg   Here is my design for one of the rumored devices this coming year...-pbsd_pearl_slider.jpg  
    Last edited by pbsd; 12-26-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts

Looks like the Nexus One meets a Blackberry. Interesting.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

In my defense...I drew this before any visuals of the Nexus One hit the web. But in HTC's defense, they have a finished product and so that means I just had an idea that one of their designers had long ago.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts

I wasn't knocking your idea. I actually am not sure what to think of it. Given the right OS and UI, it could work and work well.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

No no no, I think you read me wrong...I wasn't saying you were knocking it. I fully know at this point that most touch screen phones are going to share similar elements in terms of aesthetics, it all comes down to UI, OS and fit and finish. And lets face it, the BB OS is lacking heavily in that dept.

I'm not sure what to think of my design either. Lol! I've just been drawing, drawing, drawing...
    CrackBerry Abuser

wow, apply for a job at rim, with that drawing im pretty sure you can get a decent designer job
    9780 and 9700

Unibody MacBook Air 13" (2010)

8310 ---> 8110 ---> 9000 ---> 8900 ---> 9700 ---> 9780 ---> 9800 ---> 9780
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by CarlKrass View Post
    wow, apply for a job at rim, with that drawing im pretty sure you can get a decent designer job
    Ha, I wish. I just doodle to doodle...but I wish I could design devices.

I don't really have the 3D know-how to design vaporware.

I'm old school in that sense (but young)...I prefer a pencil and paper. I doubt RIM is interested in someone like me. I am more of an idea guy, and people in big corps get threatened by people with innovative ideas. Politics. Been there, done that.

But if you weren't being sarcastic, thank you
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Also, I should add, this was just a free-hand drawing, I didn't quite measure out things to spec or give it entirely proper angles...but I'll try and add more to this dream device of mine...
    CrackBerry Abuser

my fathers best friend is a famous yacht designer, and i spent alot of time with him, as our families where close, and i was interested in his work... you defintaly have a good sense of spacing and such, and i mean i think its a beautiful angle you set the phone at, defintaly challenging i am also trying myself as a yacht designer, but you have a better eye at it, even though its just a hobby congrats
    9780 and 9700

Unibody MacBook Air 13" (2010)

8310 ---> 8110 ---> 9000 ---> 8900 ---> 9700 ---> 9780 ---> 9800 ---> 9780
    CrackBerry User

I think it's a great design! It would be hard for me to goto a full touch screen after using the keyboard on Tour. I love it....it would be cool to have the option of both.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by CarlKrass View Post
    my fathers best friend is a famous yacht designer, and i spent alot of time with him, as our families where close, and i was interested in his work... you defintaly have a good sense of spacing and such, and i mean i think its a beautiful angle you set the phone at, defintaly challenging i am also trying myself as a yacht designer, but you have a better eye at it, even though its just a hobby congrats
    Wow! What an inspirational response! Thank you!!! And good luck to you with yacht design. I love the renders of the Nautors Swan boats. (I grew up sailing )

I am going to shade and fix my render...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by yet2do View Post
    I think it's a great design! It would be hard for me to goto a full touch screen after using the keyboard on Tour. I love it....it would be cool to have the option of both.
    I had the Storm 1 and now have the Tour. I loved the larger screen, but hated the lack of keyboard. If the Storm had a trackball or trackpad itr would have helped SO MUCH. Copy and paste without assistance on the Storm was a nightmare.

I feel like my design solves a lot of issues and poses questions like "why did they leave that out???"

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts

Nice job on the design, it looks awesome. I'd buy one if it existed.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I want one, what do you call it?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Thanks for the compliments.

I have no idea what I would call it yet. I'd have to think about that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

8mp camera and a 720p recording? hahahaha, dude, quit the fantasy.
    Most consumer videocameras of 800$ dont even have 720p
    Don't take yourself so seriously; no one else does
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

What are you talking about? I'm sure I've read of a few cell phone cams that take 720 video?

I have a Sanyo Xacti that was 800 bucks and records full hd???

And if we can't fantasize then how will we ever progress? We need to always think about ways to make things better and imagine things that we don't have in order to advance ourselves and learn as much as we can and build towards those fantasies to make them reality.

I'm sure many said comments like yours when talking about solar/battery cars, and look how far we have come. Don't be so quick to hold back from dreaming.

But I'll keep on drawing and fantasizing and hoping

CrackBerry Newbie

i love that design. i would buy this phone in an instant, as would thousands of other blackberry lovers.
    (i joined crackberry just so i could see your picture - really glad i did!)
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by hcokim View Post
    i love that design. i would buy this phone in an instant, as would thousands of other blackberry lovers.
    (i joined crackberry just so i could see your picture - really glad i did!)
    Thank you! I am going to sketch some more concept using different sliding mechanisms, and welcome to the crackberry community, you're going to love it here!!!

CrackBerry User

Its a neat design, I want to see this sort of slider phone as well. But one thing that I don't like is your swinging mechanism that leaves the keyboard flush with the screen. I think that if you designed something like that, it would throw off the balance of the phone, and make it difficult to use one handed in slide up mode.

That's why I like the traditional slider mechanism more, you can have just the screen slide, which means the main mass of the phone is still in your hand and the balance is still centered. This makes it much easier to use one handed.

And also, screw a 1GHz snapdragon, I want a dual core version of the processor in the Bold9700. Its plenty fast in the Bold, and the dual core design would give you higher theoretical speed, while maintaining a battery life near the 9700.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by ZMilb43 View Post
    Its a neat design, I want to see this sort of slider phone as well. But one thing that I don't like is your swinging mechanism that leaves the keyboard flush with the screen. I think that if you designed something like that, it would throw off the balance of the phone, and make it difficult to use one handed in slide up mode.

That's why I like the traditional slider mechanism more, you can have just the screen slide, which means the main mass of the phone is still in your hand and the balance is still centered. This makes it much easier to use one handed.

And also, screw a 1GHz snapdragon, I want a dual core version of the processor in the Bold9700. Its plenty fast in the Bold, and the dual core design would give you higher theoretical speed, while maintaining a battery life near the 9700.
    You're absolutely correct. Sometimes when designing one element to make things easier, another element that was once easy isn't so easy anymore.

I thought that by allowing it to be flush with the screen, it would prevent people's thumbs from hitting the bottom of the screen part. My justification is that we always use 2 hands to type. The trackpad is on the screen part, so it's always there ready for navigation, one handed-wise that is.

But I see what you're talking about

And sure, Dual Core sounds even better. You know, when I go on trips now, I dont even bring my laptop anymore, I do everything from my Tour - mobile phones are going in that direction. 627mhz just isn't enough these days, RIM seems to always cheap out on processor speeds, which is ridiculous because it can run multiple apps, so we NEED faster speeds. 1ghz is available NOW, so why an Essex is coming in in anything but a 1ghz is just beyond me. It's not evolving as quick as the market wants.

I wish I could sit at their meetings and tell them what the people want. Because what they deliver most of the time is just the same rehashed crap. Sure, I'd have a hard time living without my blackberry because I'm so connected to it, but damn, Apple and Google's interfaces are making me salivate.
    CrackBerry User

Well it is a good design if you have two handed typing in mind, but I think that it would affect one handed use too much. Maybe just make sure that the keyboard has some significant spacing from the screen to ensure the sliding doesn't inhibit typing.

And also, a neat little design I would like to see are the touchscreen face keys like the storm 2 has, combined with the electronic "click" technology of the storm 2. This way you don't accidently hit the keys, it requires a hard press, and responds with the same click that a regular physical key delivers, while at the same time requiring far fewer moving parts and giving the phone that elegant look.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

I owned a Storm 1 and I regretted it for 6 months. The clicking mechanism (all 8 Storms) kept breaking. I would LOVE a flush GLASS screen, and have the nav area function like how you describe.

I know they changed it for the Storm 2. But I would still need a trackpad or a navigation area that acts as a trackpad because RIM has yet to prove their touch screen is as accurate as an iPhone. I would try to copy and paste on my S1 and I may as well have busted out my scissors and elmer's glue stick.

I hate the quality of the current berries- light gaps, creaky ear pieces, faulty trackballs, loose battery doors. I mean, what is going on in their QA department?!

I have to say, my fingers would hurt so much after a few minutes of typing on the storm 1. I tried it on the storm 2 and it was improved, but not by much. Nothing beats a physical keyboard, especially on a berry

CrackBerry User

See I've never owned a storm, and I'm not sure I would want the click feature for long messages, but I think that for simple navigation purposes it is very useful. I think RIM could use it in a slider phone because then the screen wouldn't be the primary way to enter text, but the navigational benefits would still be present. If I were RIM, I would make the surepress 3.0 was adjustable, with settings for click feedback and click strength (how hard you need to press to get the click), and also the ability to just turn the system off.

And I would agree, a trackpad could still be useful, but I would place it on the sliding mechanism with the keyboard, so that users could navigate easier without having to do a long reach to the touchscreen.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Adjustability in the surepress mechanism is key - 'berries are known to be super customizable, and yet that area, for now, is off limits.

As for the trackpad being on the slider, I can see, but at the same time, perhaps it's not a great idea?

What if I was holding the phone horizontally and wanted to navigate through web pages with one hand? Were I to hold it in one hand, my thumb could easily flick through webpages without having to obstruct my view. It allows access across the entire plane of the screen without having to jump your hand across the screen.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast