Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2804BB03
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Lightbulb Future of Computing, can RIM be innovative enough to take the reigns??

Greetings and salutations all crackberry fans.

I have a dream of the future of mobile computing and beyond

My idea:

It is probably nothing new, but it would basically blend Desktop / Laptop / Tablet / and Phone into one seamless device, and become more powerful when together

(One quick Note, this is Star Trek inspired, but so was the mobile telephone, and I ask for but a little bit of your time and imagination)

The basic way to do that is what Star Trek TNG used with what they called "isolinear chips" they were about 3/4" (2 cm) wide, 2" long (5 cm), and 1/8" thick (0.3 cm) (some had variations) but the whole entire computer core had hundreds or more of these chips, and they ran everything.

Now some of the backround is out of the way, how can this be the a major advantage for RIM, basically, they could start a small team to produce them and program a few, each chip housing on board say a 1Ghz processor, 1GB ram, small video card with 512mb Ram and a SSD of 8GB. Nothing spectacular in itself, the trick is producing them and encasing all of it in resin with connectors on one side. No bulky black casings for each individual chip. (Think of a giant thick SIM card with small connectors on one side, and a metal plate on the other for a heat sink) with the connectors being a opening to the south bridge of this tiny computer.

Here is a example of what could happen:

You have a desktop station where you have 12 of these plugged in, size of about 4"x4"x4", and has a connection in and out port for the south bridge, and USB/firewire/HDMI/ect... For the north bridge. With that a tablet has a docking port hooked into the bridge with another 6 chips, and again in and out port to a BB phone dock, the phone is running on 2 of these chips. So at this one station, you have a 20 core 1Ghz processor, 20 GB of ram, 10GB video ram, 160GB SSD drive (varying depending on RAID configuration or external HDD)

I have tinkered around with QNX Neutrino, and any user of Neutrino I can see taking full advantage of that type of setup, especially since it can just be expanded by more inexpensive chips

If I have not either completely lost you, or just bored you, that is my idea for the future of RIM / Blackberry, these chips, and phones that can run off of them, phone style becomes just housings for these chips. Your specs on phones become how many they can hold, and the housings become the antennas and user interface. To upgrade your phone, replace the chips, they will eventually come out with more high performance chips or specialized chips, ect..

Rim could even launch a new line of company, Rasberry maybe...

Any suggestions or usefull input would be welcome, and any good artist want to take it further ( I see a blackberry logo in the side of one of these chips where the connections are

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Future of Computing, can RIM be innovative enough to take the reigns??-343hxf7.jpg  
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Kessen View Post
    Greetings and salutations all crackberry fans.

I have a dream of the future of mobile computing and beyond

My idea:

It is probably nothing new, but it would basically blend Desktop / Laptop / Tablet / and Phone into one seamless device, and become more powerful when together

(One quick Note, this is Star Trek inspired, but so was the mobile telephone, and I ask for but a little bit of your time and imagination)

The basic way to do that is what Star Trek TNG used with what they called "isolinear chips" they were about 3/4" (2 cm) wide, 2" long (5 cm), and 1/8" thick (0.3 cm) (some had variations) but the whole entire computer core had hundreds or more of these chips, and they ran everything.

Now some of the backround is out of the way, how can this be the a major advantage for RIM, basically, they could start a small team to produce them and program a few, each chip housing on board say a 1Ghz processor, 1GB ram, small video card with 512mb Ram and a SSD of 8GB. Nothing spectacular in itself, the trick is producing them and encasing all of it in resin with connectors on one side. No bulky black casings for each individual chip. (Think of a giant thick SIM card with small connectors on one side, and a metal plate on the other for a heat sink) with the connectors being a opening to the south bridge of this tiny computer.

Here is a example of what could happen:

You have a desktop station where you have 12 of these plugged in, size of about 4"x4"x4", and has a connection in and out port for the south bridge, and USB/firewire/HDMI/ect... For the north bridge. With that a tablet has a docking port hooked into the bridge with another 6 chips, and again in and out port to a BB phone dock, the phone is running on 2 of these chips. So at this one station, you have a 20 core 1Ghz processor, 20 GB of ram, 10GB video ram, 160GB SSD drive (varying depending on RAID configuration or external HDD)

I have tinkered around with QNX Neutrino, and any user of Neutrino I can see taking full advantage of that type of setup, especially since it can just be expanded by more inexpensive chips

If I have not either completely lost you, or just bored you, that is my idea for the future of RIM / Blackberry, these chips, and phones that can run off of them, phone style becomes just housings for these chips. Your specs on phones become how many they can hold, and the housings become the antennas and user interface. To upgrade your phone, replace the chips, they will eventually come out with more high performance chips or specialized chips, ect..

it's called transparent distributed multiprocessing - RIM owns this technology and is in the process of implementing it.

wikipedia -

"Transparent Distributed Processing
    Transparent Distributed Processing, or TDP, is the name that the QNX operating system uses to refer to its network distributed architecture. Since QNX is a microkernel it is inherently network distributable, so TDP actually boils down to a protocol module that plugs in to the QNX networking stack. This protocol module (known as qnet) links the microkernels across the network together, so that operating system services are accessed using exactly the same mechanism without regard to the computer node on which they reside."

edit* so it sounds like your old phone and pb could help power your new phone and pb... lol... only thing is moore's law and the pace of technology in general makes the idea of using old devices a little impractical (unless you're trying to decode a genome or process data from your warp drive)*

like your bb vs kirk's communicator, this is much more slick than what startrek conceived.
    Last edited by gjohnsto; 02-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2804BB03
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by gjohnsto View Post
    it's called transparent distributed multiprocessing - RIM owns this technology and is in the process of implementing it.

edit* so it sounds like your old phone and pb could help power your new phone and pb... lol... only thing is moore's law and the pace of technology in general makes the idea of using old devices a little impractical (unless you're trying to decode a genome or process data from your warp drive)*

like your bb vs kirk's communicator, this is much more slick than what startrek conceived.
    Oh wow, thank you for the info, I just played around with QNX Neutrino, but I was just posting my Idea out there to get some feedback on it, I never realized how close it really is with the acquisition of QNX.

I more meant for the chips to be the next gen phone / tablet / computer. For it to be implemented, they would have to be a special port connection to the south bridge, most modern phones wouldn't be compatible. I more think BBXII phones maybe. Or as I said, the first Raspberry Phone (RBone) and the first RB tablet

Thanks to the Okuda's for the concept, wonderful concept. I just have a idea for implementation, and see RIM using the powerful QNX to drive the future of computing
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2804BB03
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

PLUS since you mentioned it, let's explore moore's law taking into account with the original idea's theory (Capacity will double in size every 2 years). Isolinear Chips in the Star Trek, according to the tech manual have a capacity of 2.15 Kiloquads of information. Now the question becomes what the blank is a kiloquad? For that, we need to turn back to moore's law for a explanation. As of Q1 - 2012, the biggest commercial USB drive is 256 Gb,
    but let's step that back a few steps and say the most common is 32 Gb. (2 ^35)
    So 2014 would be 64 Gb (2 ^36),
    In 2016 would be 128 Gb (2 ^37)
    2018 - 256 Gb (2 ^38)
    2020 - 512 Gb (2 ^39)
    2022 - 1 Tb (2 ^40)

Now that SOME of the repetition is over

2 ^40 is Terabyte
    2 ^50 is Petabyte
    2 ^60 is Exabyte
    2 ^70 is Zetabyte
    2 ^80 is Yottabyte
    2 ^90 is unnamed (let's say Quadbyte)
    2 ^100 is unnamed (let's say Kiloquadabyte)

So 2 Kiloquadabyte (kiloquad for short) is 2 ^200

Currently we are at 2 ^35 to 2 ^38 and looking at the difference to 2 ^200 is about 166 to 163 moore's law cycles, or roughly 332 years. So 2344 is when 2 kiloquads be available.

Kirk born in 2255, but used Duotronics computers (a medium between current computers and Isolinear processors). The tech manual dated the Enterprise D construction (using Isolinear chips) at 2363, or 2 ^212 to about 2 ^215 (2.15 Kiloquad)

That is how you process data from your warp drive.

The first step is to see the future
    Last edited by Kessen; 02-25-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Thanked by:
    jasonvan9 (11-23-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Lol... Mods, request this be moved to the star trek forum...
    Seriously, love star trek, especially tng, but holy...
    Awesome.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2804BB03
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

One can say I thought about this some.

I started this thread to get ideas on how to improve on the idea of making small computing devices, hear what might be their advantages , and the disadvantages see are. Yes the concept might be kinda scifi, But some of the modern conveniences we almost take for granted today were there as well.

I welcome anyone's input and questions and or comments to improve my idea
    CrackBerry Genius

I think they're on the right track.

This just made me want SETI@home for my PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2804BB03
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Default Re: Future of Computing, can RIM be innovative enough to take the reigns??

Yes Startrek inspired, just like cell phones were inspired, and with QNX avalable, very possible in the near future
    Thanked by:
    bigboybkrises (10-23-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Default Re: Future of Computing, can RIM be innovative enough to take the reigns??

Yes of course now I read the previous posts with all the witchcraft words but my simply answer is yes.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry User

I like your idea. But I was thinking of a different way to revolutionnized home computing :
    currently, with Intel and Windows dominated architecture, personal computing settled on "one computer for every single person with its own unshared OS" plus "one or many CPU in every single electronic device with its own unshared OS". In other words, a standard familly owns multiple PC computers (desktop, laptop...) + tablet(s) + phones + computing devices in TV set, settop box, AV recorder, HI-FI, home cinema, fridge, hooven, cars... I'm sure we could count as much as 50 processors in use in a single home !
    Now we can imagine that all home Computing devices used for TV, audio, communication, general computing and game be managed by one single central computing unit (imagine the size and shape of an A/V amplifier or processor), and fitted with as many efficient processors as needed (mobile like SoC Cortex A15 and PVR SGX544 powered), and expandable as needed. Through 4G or any other wireless tech, this central computer should connect to any home device and manage tasks : connect to as many TV set as necessary to play multiple video or TV programm, serve as computer units wherever a screen and keyboard and mouse are available, connect to tablets and smartphone...etc
    I'm sure that QNX has the power and capabilities to serve as the basis of such a system, and efficient and lowcost SoC like A15 + SGX have the power to support such central computing devices. And finally RIM should revolutionnized home computing and compete with ancestral tech like Intel and Microsoft...
    CrackBerry Abuser

At the end of the day Star trek is fiction but that doesn't mean we don't have to be inspired by the star trek world. A few years a ago I thought that it would be nice to have a phone that was touch screen, this was way before the iphone came out but what do you know we have touchscreen phones. Its amazing to look at Star trek now and see the things in the series we have come close too. But I do hope RIM will be innovative when it comes down to computing.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2804BB03
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by xnwrx View Post
    a standard familly owns multiple PC computers (desktop, laptop...) + tablet(s) + phones + computing devices in TV set, settop box, AV recorder, HI-FI, home cinema, fridge, hooven, cars... I'm sure we could count as much as 50 processors in use in a single home !
    Now we can imagine that all home Computing devices used for TV, audio, communication, general computing and game be managed by one single central computing unit

I'm sure that QNX has the power and capabilities to serve as the basis of such a system, and efficient and lowcost SoC like A15 + SGX have the power to support such central computing devices. And finally RIM should revolutionnized home computing and compete with ancestral tech like Intel and Microsoft...
    Awwww, Someone has been reading my diary

I thought of this idea long before my first Blackberry (8900) and recently there are 2 devices out there with similay proporties, The 'Raspberry Pie', and 'Xi3'. Both are Small cheap computers. The raspberry for those are unfamiliar is a $25 usd computer that is made for hobbiest, it runs on Linux and can be programed to do a vaiety of tasks. The Xi3 is a computer with the dimentions of about 3"x3"x3" and has the open frame support. You can link several of them together to create a even superior computer, and uses about enough electricity as todays modern cell phone / tablet.

What I am talking about is something the size of a credit card cut in half and stacked. If it alone can be sold for about $50 usd, have a open archetecture, so that if you want a new style cell phone, you just purchace a shell and pop in your proccessor chips into the cheap shell. With all the electronics in our house, you are right, they can all be linked. If your TV needs more ram to run a 3D movie, it should be able under this model use the chips in your tablet (assuming it is not being used), microwave, fridge, and vaccume, to keep your movie seamless, it you need more, just take it from the lawn mower.

If a chip goes bad (and they will) just "borrow" it from another device untill you can get another chip.

I like your idea of a central hub (and have it HDNA), but the devices also need to run independantly.

I remember when Intel started coming out with Dual processors, but the software just was not there, if the OS and the program were not programed righgt, they only used the primary processor, and the slave just sat there idle. QNX archetecture has the infrastructure to implement this, that has been proven.

I kept this idea to myself, and tried to reach RIM to see what they thought, but all I ended up with is justinternational phone bills and nothing but Voice mails. I started this thread to get more ideas about it. I like the central hub, but instead of a AV reciever, something the size of a Nintendo WII would become powerfull enough to be a gaming computer. So it could be smaller than that...