View Poll Results: Do you think the training slide is a fake?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 34.44%
  • No

59 65.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs down Do you think the "Odin refresh" is a hoax?

Here's the link below just to "refresh" everyone's memory. *Hahaha,snort,chuckle*

BlackBerry Storm 3 details shown off in training slide?!? Looks like Mobile Hotspot is coming to BlackBerry! | CrackBerry.com

Soooooo, ppl think that a refreshed S2 is coming out with more memory, a better camera, a better processor, etc because of a crummy photo? REALLY? Can engadget really be trusted?

I'm calling BS on this one! This has gotta be a hoax. This just can't be the S3. If this WERE true, this would be a major fail for RIM.
    I know there are other threads about the Odin refresh but I haven't seen any debate about whether anyone thinks this is for real...
    Opinions anyone?
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 08-02-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of success

While it would be ridiculously easy for me to recreate that picture, I still think it is legitimate.

Quite simply, RIM does not have a history of doing massive upgrades to any of their lines. They do make slight changes in appearance, but, they hardly ever change screen resolution, wifi, processor speed, app memory, on-board memory, general hardware design (surepress in this case), camera mp, etc. all at the same moment. In fact, I can't even think of one instance where each of those things were changed for a single device in a BB product line.

I still wish they would do such a revamp, but I would not be surprised if the Odin refresh were in fact the Storm3.
    "You cannot help those who are unwilling to help themselves."
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    R1 Riders Unite!!! r1-forum.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    965 Global Posts

A refreshed Storm makes alot of sense knowing how RIM does their model releases, look at their multiple Pearl, Storm, Bold and Curve releases...
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Even with the refreshments the phone is still pathetic compared to competition

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Aw, come on guys. There has got to be a little more to the S3 than that. Was the transition from the Bold 9000 to 9700 such a small baby step? How about Pearl 8130 to 9100? Perhaps RIM is a little behind the eight ball right now but do you think a poster like Salomondrin is simply off his rocker? (He's been right so many times before.) Can we hear from you Sal?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts

They are going to release a 9580 (Strom 3) to fill in the gap until Storm 4 w/ LTE is released next year.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

I'm guessing that the S2 refresh would be launched as either:
    1. Storm 9540/9570 (educated guess on the numbers)
    2. Storm2 (Pro/+/Plus/etc) (to indicate it as a refreshed S2)
    and the LTE storm would be launched as:
    2. Storm R530 (assuming that the R030 seen before was a prototype LTE; but bringing the number in line with the 9500series)
    1. Storm3
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post
    They are going to release a 9580 (Strom 3) to fill in the gap until Storm 4 w/ LTE is released next year.

thats what im thinking. since apple just released iPhone 4 they will not have a 4g device for probly another year. this will give RIM a great chance to take a shot with a Storm 4. think about it. major competitor.... iPhone 4. Brand new Storm 4g?

My issue is that of timing. I do not think a lot of people will be like me and wait around for a 4g blackberry. most s1 contracts are up for renewal now so hopefully people are jumping ship to an android right now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHE!

From what I've read, this is a legitimate device. However, it will not be called the "Storm 3." Idk what it'll be called, but def. not Storm 3. I'll try and and find the article on this, and Verizon's LTE network.
    White Zeee 10!
    I speak English, Spanish and Spanglish!
    CrackBerry User

I'm starting the "leaked" slide we saw might be some sort of hoax also...

I mean, we started seeing leaked photos of the Torch back in March, and it was a totally new device.

If the new Storm for this year is just an "Odin Refresh" then why haven't we seen more about it? If there's really nothing that great about it, shouldn't we have seen more? It just doesn't make sense there wouldn't have been more leaks by now. Both the Storm 1 and 2 had a ton of leaks 5-6 months before launch.

But, if the new Storm is going to be an LTE device with a huge upgrade in specs, then it makes more sense to not hear much about it.

Nothing about this device seems to add up.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    PIN
    CHE!

Personally, I don't think they should come out with a storm refresh! Instead RIM should launch the real storm 3 with all the rumored specs and be lte compatible! Let's remember that the original rumors had the storm 3 (the refresh probably) coming out and a couple of months later the Storm 4G would come out.

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

@cbacon,
    I totally agree. I will echo your sentiment about things with the "refresh" not adding up. Where are the leaks? It's just all too fishy...

@Fanatix85,
    I agree with you too. Why bother with a refresh? Just give us an all new touchscreen device already, and do it right! (Sorry 9800 fans.)
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    CrackBerry User

It may be launched as the Storm 3, since it will support OS6...but I'm not sure that's the best market tact.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Also, if the "refresh" comes out with the same old CDMA and hamstrung (2100 only) HSPA capabilities as the previous releases, that'll be BEYOND weak. F*ck Verizon!
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 08-04-2010 at 01:25 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,650 Global Posts

Hopefully the S3 will be LTE, and the S2 refresh will be served as a cheaper alternative, probably for carriers and/or countries which have no incentive to support LTE for the time being.

and if RIM can rom-lock the CDMA chips on the 9500's and 9520's, they could definitely offer a Storm with full HSPA bands and just ROM-lock those bands for Verizon, as I believe the Canadian carriers would like their Storm's on HSPA and Eurasian carriers would like to roam in the Americas.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    yea, i have a pin:)

Anyone remember the BlackBerry 9990? There was a pic posted somewhere back on Feb 11th. I assume that this will ne the S3. (At least by numbers) I also do NOT believe that the "odin refresh" is a Hoax. Maybe there are no leaks because the device looks exactly the same as the S2? I'm not sure. I do remember that in the image of the bb9990 it was running OS 5.7. It will be interesting to see how this plays out... Assuming the S3 is LTE ready, I will most likely upgrade here soon. If not though I don't think ill be jumping ship, though quite disappointed as usual with some of the BlackBerry features in today's market of choices...I could possibly wait for the S4 next year because that is when my S2 contract is up. My list of needs is growing much like the features on Android, but I remain true to BlackBerry. I have hopes for the coming devices, but the Storm(?) Should take the market by Storm!

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

@JamWar,
    Check your facts! The "9990" rumor dates back to August of LAST YEAR! That's what they were calling the S2 in the first place. I think that photo was prolly BS too. Maybe photshopped...

@grahamf,
    You always have interesting ideas. I gotta wonder if the missing HSPA bands are the result of a ROM lock though. Would be nice to have the missing bands given back to phones sold in the rest of the world. Since when do big corporations listen to the likes of us anyway?

Last edited by Bobcat665; 08-04-2010 at 10:29 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    balls

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's real and the only way I'd pay for it is if it were like 50 bucks at the most.
    I'd like to be able to use BB6 and see what it's like and it seems like a pretty nice upgrade from Kevin's reviews with the 9800. However, I'm not gonna move to At&T since the service sucks in my area. I'm also not gonna pay 200 bucks and then be locked into another 2 years(I know you can upgrade after 1yr with VZW) with a crappy Odin refresh only to wait for the ACTUAL S3 or whatever you wanna call it. Then that will come out and it will be a piece of junk also since by then the DROID Ludacris will be out sporting god knows what.
    Does it ever end....?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post

Thats gotta be one the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. Thats not directed at you, by the way so don't take it like that.

Why would RIM release an essentially new device replacing a device thats only a year old and then replace that with another device 4 only months later.

If they in fact do do that then someone needs to refresh their business model. Really.

Also if RIM misses the LTE boat by 3 months, they will lose quite a few people, probably me included.

How about this possibility, could the Odin refresh actually be a Storm for a different CDMA carrier, ie not Verizon? That would make more sense considering the specs. Kinda like the whole Verizon Tour/ ATT Bold Verzion Bold/ ATT Bold thing. Or even I guess it could even be GSM I suppose.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    PIN
    g Pong balls!? I thought you said, "King Kong's Balls!"

This is all speculation but here goes....

RIM has the Storm 3 ready for a Q4 release. This is the next gen device running LTE with a newer QualcoMm chip. The LTE chips are all over 1 gb. I also think it is running the QNX kernel. However VZW is going live with LTE on 11/15 and will only be releasing some tablets and network cards initially. VZW plans to announce the 4G handset line up at CTIA in January and then have them release between Feb and May. At least the first 5 handsets that they have mentioned.

Now, RIM has a problem. They just launched BB6 and have a lot riding on it. However they have one device in market that can run it. The Torch. They need to get it out there on add'll devices ASAP. However it runs like crap on a device with 256 mbs. They can slim it down a bit for the 9700 but the Storm 2 really needs tyr full experience. They can't wait for the S3 which won't drop now until early 2011 due to VZW and the S2 would give users a bad experience which they can't afford now. So what are they to do? They take all the S2 inventory they have, drop 512 mbs in it and replace the camera module with the new 5mp. Maybe they update the radio module for mobile wifi. I don't expect a new chip, but you never know. This let's them drop a refreshed device in time for the holidays running BB6. Also since the S3 will be on LTE it could actually end up with the refresh being a lower cost option once it drops.

That's my theory. Its sucks but makes a little more logical sense.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    PIN

also if you look at Qualcomm's LTE chip set they are backward compatible so the S3 should support just about any other network on the planet. Its pretty sick the types of signals they support.

I am just wondering of they have to update chip in the S2 to support the wifi hotspot capability. I know for the Qualcomm chips in the S2 that the radio is part of the chip. So if it didn't support the wifi hotspot capability they may have to update the chip as well.

Any gear heads out there know what Qualcomm chips support that? I am assuming they wouldn't want to change out the chip manufactorer as that might creates more work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.como
    Last edited by The_Engine; 08-06-2010 at 07:25 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    balls

Okay so then why not release the S3 in quarter 4 if its sitting there ready to go with this new touch OS they are talking about? Then when LTE is available people will already have a phone in there hand that is able to take advantage of it. This way RIM and Verizon, but really RIM more importantly is AHEAD of the curve! Woohoo novel idea...
    For once I'd love for this to happen and RIM may actually be ahead in the game, it won't thou but I can always wish

CrackBerry User

Someone should go to waterloo around the rim campus with an LTE device and see if there are any LTE cell sites around it.

If there is, they are probably working on an LTE device eh?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by j2hyphon View Post
    Someone should go to waterloo around the rim campus with an LTE device and see if there are any LTE cell sites around it.

If there is, they are probably working on an LTE device eh?
    They would have that in a lab so you would never detect it. And there is no LTE in Canada yet. They are building something for VZW as they are going live in November.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by MattyG27 View Post
    Okay so then why not release the S3 in quarter 4 if its sitting there ready to go with this new touch OS they are talking about? Then when LTE is available people will already have a phone in there hand that is able to take advantage of it. This way RIM and Verizon, but really RIM more importantly is AHEAD of the curve! Woohoo novel idea...
    For once I'd love for this to happen and RIM may actually be ahead in the game, it won't thou but I can always wish

I am with you. But apparently RIM needs something out now that supports BB6 and the LTE device won't be for a few more months at the earliest. If VZW doesn't want any LTE handsets out until 2011 then I can see why RIM needs a refreshed S2 out now that supports BB6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast