Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 =Amazing Engineering Feat

IMHO, I find the BB10 development story rather impressive

Apple, Microsoft and Google are "dumbing down", what's possible on a mobile platform.

RIM is upping the possibilities inorder to do more on a mobile platform. This requires more time in development of the platform.

What I find that is incredible is how POWERFUL the dev tools are becoming and just how quickly an app can be developed.

QNX is 5+ years ahead of any consumer technology capability and will remain so as QNX supports the state of the art in computer sciences in general....The "BlackBerry " division will only have to focus on surface OS development.

RIM has the luxury of being able to develop at an accelerated pace to that of the competition. Look only to how streamlined the 3rd party devs environment is becoming , how efficient and how quickly a dev can develop or port an app. If you believe this is impressive......Just become aware of how rapidly RIM in house devs can develop BB10 at a lightning fast pace

QNX was purchased in April 2010....BB10 will be released 2 1/2 years after the acquisition. Very impressive turn around.

Not only is the deployment of BB10 impressive with the time frame given....BB10 was developed to support three markets. Consumers, enterprise and the embedded market....The gravity of the sheer magnitude of this project is just astonishing, and to have such a broad and extensive platform is just an amazing feat of engineering. To top this off BB10 is also supported by the NOC.....

It's just mind boggling how quickly and powerfuly QNX allows for RIM to develop.

The sheer magnitude and turn around time of this project is just amazing IMHO.

In your humble opinion....what do you find impressive?
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-29-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    "I gotta Z10......I gotta Z10....Hey...Hey...Hey....Hey"........
    Thanked by 8:
    brucejr70 (02-29-2012),  City Kid 4 Life (03-02-2012),  El Cid (03-01-2012),  elliott436 (10-13-2012),  recompile (02-29-2012),  rjedge54 (03-01-2012),  shn'g (02-29-2012),  TheUnknownUser (03-02-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,108 Global Posts

Go rim + qnx!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts

Yeah I completely agree thank you! I get tired of hearing oh playbook doesn't do this or have this.. Cummon honestly its only because ios and others have had a 5 year head start to work out the little bothers and even then they still have some feats to overcome but RIM is starting from scratch playing catch up with a far better OS! Lately it feels like the pieces are all starting to come together and I can't wait for BB10 when I can finally have these gestures (the only OS in my opinion where the device doesn't feel like a bunch of buttons but instead feels so normal and easy to swipe) on my phone! Great post!
    Thanked by:
    bmw328i (03-21-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2973C0E8

Great post.
    Just wondering if you can provide examples of how the competition is "dumbing down" the mobile experience. Not that I do not agree that RIM and QNX are far more advanced, I would just appreciate some examples. Mostly so I have some extra tools on my belt to fight the RIM vs. The World battle.
    kozmo68, MoolahMitch and G-bone like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,108 Global Posts

the question is... will RIM survive the horrible media/consumer bias long enough to get this great system going
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    raymond, dalus87, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I'd be interested in specific examples of why you consider the dev tools to be so good, especially when compared to what Microsoft is shipping now for Windows Phone and what they're already shipping now even for Windows 8.
    mca312 and purijagmohan like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,109 Global Posts

That's what has me excited about BB10. I can't wait until it comes out.
    all smartphones are tools.
    android = 48pc tool set (you"ll eventually find the tool you need, but some assembly required)
    iphone = swiss army knife (most of the tools you need in a small, simple to use package)
    blackberry = adjustable wrench (sometimes all you need is a wrench)
    windows phone = bionic wrench (its different....but it works)
    Skier1960 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Umm.. 2.5 years is veryy long in terms of technology and programming pace.
    Also, I am always rooting for RIM but anyone really knows what so good about QNX?
    Anyone with backgrounds in programming would know that C and UNIX(OS) is the basic of all great servers and embedded programming, A few example of consumer unix based OS are linux(Unix) and iOS(nextstep unix based), Android(linux based).
    CrackBerry Abuser

To be specific what makes it "better" and more "powerful"?
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by app_Developer View Post
    I'd be interested in specific examples of why you consider the dev tools to be so good, especially when compared to what Microsoft is shipping now for Windows Phone and what they're already shipping now even for Windows 8.
    me too )

Also I would be very interested to see what technologies are ahead of competitors. And I mean technology you can see, have the info to back it up, not images in your head or from PR material.

And given that it take RIM almost a year to release update with native mail, PIM and still missing key API, meanwhile Android is on the verge of version 5, Apple expand development to 3D maps, natural language processing. I'm not sure what are the definition of "dumbing down" and "rapid development" in your book. Maybe you got it backward?
    Last edited by Vindicators; 02-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    dynot (03-02-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,567 Global Posts

2.5 years is quite long in programming terms, BlackBerryX will only be used in smartphones and tablets and RIM was not building their own OS from scratch, they're more like modifying what is already there.

Version number is not really important. We can see how Mozilla Firefox 3.7 became 4.0, 3.8 became 5.0, 3.9 became 6.0, and true 4.0 became 7.0 just to get on the "how big is your browser version number?" war.

Apple sure is not dumbing down anything. A few years ago iPhone was an extremely overpriced MP3 player that can't multitask, something Microsoft Windows 95 was really good at. Now you can verbally search for information in it (with verbal feedback too!). While it's still essentially an extremely overpriced MP3 player, it has more features than before
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

It is very interesting to see the positive reviews coming out on PB2.0 vs ios/android. Really their one in the same. But for the fact even more advancements will be introduced in BB10. This race is heating up.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,824 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guzprom View Post
    Umm.. 2.5 years is veryy long in terms of technology and programming pace.
    Also, I am always rooting for RIM but anyone really knows what so good about QNX?
    Anyone with backgrounds in programming would know that C and UNIX(OS) is the basic of all great servers and embedded programming, A few example of consumer unix based OS are linux(Unix) and iOS(nextstep unix based), Android(linux based).
    Quote Originally Posted by guzprom View Post
    To be specific what makes it "better" and more "powerful"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindicators View Post
    me too )

Also I would be very interested to see what technologies are ahead of competitors. And I mean technology you can see, have the info to back it up, not images in your head or from PR material.

And given that it take RIM almost a year to release update with native mail, PIM and still missing key API, meanwhile Android is on the verge of version 5, Apple expand development to 3D maps, natural language processing. I'm not sure what are the definition of "dumbing down" and "rapid development" in your book. Maybe you got it backward?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raestloz View Post
    2.5 years is quite long in programming terms, BlackBerryX will only be used in smartphones and tablets and RIM was not building their own OS from scratch, they're more like modifying what is already there.

Version number is not really important. We can see how Mozilla Firefox 3.7 became 4.0, 3.8 became 5.0, 3.9 became 6.0, and true 4.0 became 7.0 just to get on the "how big is your browser version number?" war.

Apple sure is not dumbing down anything. A few years ago iPhone was an extremely overpriced MP3 player that can't multitask, something Microsoft Windows 95 was really good at. Now you can verbally search for information in it (with verbal feedback too!). While it's still essentially an extremely overpriced MP3 player, it has more features than before
    You guys are not going about this the right way. Just nod and agree that QNX is the best, and RIM is ahead of the curve. For brownie points, mention that QNX runs generators in Hague and that the media hates RIM.

Just smile and wave boys... smile and wave.
    Thanked by 2:
    G-bone (03-02-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by app_Developer View Post
    I'm more then delighted to answer your question. However I would like to first ask a few questions of my own.

RIM is targeting the QNX BB development platform to be a FULLY open source initiative. RIM is encouraging devs to bring over libraries, source code and to build extensions and API's.

As a developer yourself. How have you been contributing to the BB10 platform through the means of building a collective base full of an abundance of potential infinite resources?
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-29-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    G-bone likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper37 View Post
    It is very interesting to see the positive reviews coming out on PB2.0 vs ios/android. Really their one in the same. But for the fact even more advancements will be introduced in BB10. This race is heating up.
    Many development API's won't drop until BB10 infrastructure is in place. By this I imply the Super App nature of standalone devices, integration of satellite, remote, secondary devices, cloud, networking,NOC etc....2.0 requires more pieces in place in order to be of full potential. Should definitely see some cool dev front developments over the coming months.

2.0 did coincide with multiple launches such as a revamped dev site etc.....The pieces are falling in place and compounding.IMHO through my observations
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-29-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicators View Post
    me too )

May I ask what Android and iOS's current state is in in terms of evolution since conception?

We know the iPhone debuted in 2007.....when was the product conceived by Apple?

Android 1.0 debuted commercially Sept 23, 2008.....when was Android conceived by Google?

When we look at time frames. RIM's engineering feat looks rather impressive considering the QNX BB platform is only 10 months old after all
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by missing_K-W View Post
    I'm more then delighted to answer your question. However I would like to first ask a few questions of my own.

RIM is targeting the QNX BB development platform to be a FULLY open source initiative. RIM is encouraging devs to bring over libraries, source code and to build extensions and API's.

As a developer yourself. How have you been contributing to the BB10 platform through the means of building a collective base full of an abundance of potential infinite resources?
    If they open up the kernel or the UI framework, I would be interested in contributing. Those are my areas of expertise from prior jobs I've had.

But my day job right now is as a mobile app developer. That's what I do. Actually, I'd even be willing to open source a Cascades app or two if that would be of interest to other developers.

Now will you actually answer my question that you are "more than delighted" to answer?
    shupor, bobauckland and heri16 like this.
    Banned

May I ask what Android and iOS's current state is in in terms of evolution since conception?

We know the iPhone debuted in 2007.....when was the product conceived by Apple?

Android 1.0 debuted commercially Sept 23, 2008.....when was Android conceived by Google?
    Why ask me? lol
    I never claim anything like that. iOS is just a great/mature OS with very polish UI/UX and great software ecosystem to utilize hardware power.

If you are looking for something "evolution", "paradigm shift" then take a look at Windows 8 Metro, how they are dealing with split screen, app incorporated, multitasking UI/UX,....
    Now, that is impressed.

Many development API's won't drop until BB10 infrastructure is in place. By this I imply the Super App nature of standalone devices, integration of satellite, remote, secondary devices, cloud, networking,NOC etc....2.0 requires more pieces in place in order to be of full potential. Should definitely see some cool dev front developments over the coming months.

When we look at time frames. RIM's engineering feat looks rather impressive considering the QNX BB platform is only 10 months old after all
    WOW just amazing!!!
    So let's see if I get it right. Based on a tablet OS still missing key components both in term of functionally and development kit, a mobile OS still in development for about 6 months to a year, don't even have any sort of preview, some information gathering from the internet about a 30 years old kernel, conjunction with your imagination about some sort of "magical" API and integration, feature in the future which is only you can see. Then you come to a conclusion that "QNX is 5+ years ahead of any consumer technology capability"

I guess I just take trelawrence advice, smile and wave =)
    Thanked by:
    BoldtotheMax (03-02-2012) 
    mca312, bluecougar and bobauckland like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    If ur sexy>>>pm me
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

@Vindicators - Sarcasm is the lowest form of intelligence....thanks for the smile and wave remark I am thankful that I don't bring myself to that level as I value my character and integrity. I don't participate in such behavior.

Some of us are rather forward thinking and enthusiastic in regards to how the BB10 story is unfolding

One should also note that the context of what my original post was gravitating towards was the sheer scale of the BB10 project. Integrating the consumer, enterprise, embedded market, NOC and cloud from conception until deployment is pretty impressive.

There is a mentality that does enjoying taking matters out of context.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-01-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    Thanked by:
    laintencion32 (03-01-2012) 
    bluetroll and jkomo001 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

I really like what RIM is doing and I'm excited for their potential but also I'm impressed with the products of theirs I currently have. It was nice to be able to surf on my tablet and then answer serveral BBMs from my sister and not have to pick up my phone. Several reasons you can't do that with other devices.

I'm impressed with how quickly RIM came out with a tablet, how unique and fluid the UI is, bridge and its multiple fuctions (bridge apps, remote, view on, shared data), and the PBs hardware being a year-old but not seeming like it is.
    recompile likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Correct me if I'm wrong.. But qnx advantage is that its faster(small kernel) and a hrtos (real time). I just want explanation that an app dev proly would be able to answer. What does it mean for bbx? We don't really need hard real time if thread priority do we? Just want to know more about it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey... Why Do You Want To Know?

Once again. Blackbery is fine. Media screws it up. Its not fair but everyone wants to kiss iphones but. They will get big and how you can port apps is a great advantage. Look at the CB cover story, this dev has had so muh success in such little time. Rim will get back up. No doubt needed.
    recompile likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Enthusiasm is great. And I very much admire it from many posters here, but in my real honest opinion, its hard for me to see bb10 being a marvel of tech suggested by the op.

QNX was purchased halfway done and is gonna take almost a full 2 years to be fully implemented by bb? That's not quite so marvelous to me. And its not like other platforms are sitting by waiting for RIM to release bb10. By the time it releases the competition would have moved on to new versions, while RIM would have still been working on the same OS for 20 months? And looking at BB10 right now, it has very poor dev tools, and by the time it hits the market fully -- assuming consumer interest will be peaked --application and developer support won't be there from the start. So even if QNX is he best thing since sliced bread, if it doesn't come out the box blazing gunfire, it probably won't seem so great. RIM must get those big time applications such as Skype, Netflix, gmaps, ect. from the get go. Also moving up that release date wouldn't be a bad idea either lol. Imagine how many people would have already chosen another device by the end of 2012. Does RIM think those people are gonna switch to bb10 after already settling? Only us interested in bb may be the only early adopters, which won't be good enough if so.

The potential can be there all day &night, but who's really paying attention?

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    Last edited by Ynomrah; 03-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

You know, BB10 is looking really nice.

However, QNX has very little to do with it. Let's assume that QNX is a significantly better kernel (it might be in a pure CS way, but in real life, it is just different), but the other kernels are good enough that their deficiencies are almost invisible to the end user.

What is really amazing, is the work TAT is putting in on it. Nearly everything people are going Ooh and Aah for in the demos, is because of the great UI TAT is putting in place. I have to give RIM tremendous props for picking them up (fantastic design house).

I just hope they have enough designers to spread their work throughout the OS (like they are in Cascades) rather than limiting themselves to a few apps.
    Thanked by:
    howarmat (03-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,041 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BAFC92E

Quote Originally Posted by Ynomrah View Post
    Enthusiasm is great. And I very much admire it from many posters here, but in my real honest opinion, its hard for me to see bb10 being a marvel of tech suggested by the op.

QNX was purchased halfway done and is gonna take almost a full 2 years to be fully implemented by bb? That's not quite so marvelous to me. And its not like other platforms are sitting by waiting for RIM to release bb10. By the time it releases the competition would have moved on to new versions, while RIM would have still been working on the same OS for 20 months? And looking at BB10 right now, it has very poor dev tools, and by the time it hits the market fully -- assuming consumer interest will be peaked --application and developer support won't be there from the start. So even if QNX is he best thing since sliced bread, if it doesn't come out the box blazing gunfire, it probably won't seem so great. RIM must get those big time applications such as Skype, Netflix, gmaps, ect. from the get go. Also moving up that release date wouldn't be a bad idea either lol. Imagine how many people would have already chosen another device by the end of 2012. Does RIM think those people are gonna switch to bb10 after already settling? Only us interested in bb may be the only early adopters, which won't be good enough if so.

The potential can be there all day &night, but who's really paying attention?

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note

Now, its the random posts like these I like, let me ask you something, do you know how to program? Can you write code? Are you a developer? Have you worked at RIM?

Think about it, I hear people say "oh it should be easy and done in no time" so often they don't stop to consider exactly what the work entails. Furthermore, writing in some programming languages is more tedious than others.
    Thanked by 2:
    Jake Storm (03-01-2012) 
    heri16 likes this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast