Rogers: New Early Upgrade Charges
Can someone help me understand this:
My contract ends on July 24th. For months I have received calls, emails and a couple of texts to upgrade.
The phone is actually my daughters, and my original plan was to just cancel 30 days prior to the end of the contract. I called customer service, to ask what I needed to submit to cancel. I explained why (she's turning 18 and will be off my plan). So the cs rep talks me into a free 9900, with no activation fees and an upgraded plan, then in 30 days can transfer it to her name.
I popped into the Rogers storeand they pulled up my account and that no, the Bold was $129 with a $50 mail in rebate, still a $35 activation charge, and an early renewal fee of $130. $100 to "cancel" the data (which is funny because she would be keeping data), and $15 for two months early cancellation fees. So my free 9900 (which we all know over the course of 3 years isn't free) is now a smidge over $300 once all the fees are applied.
I called back to customer service, and quoted my original ticket number. I asked what happened between that call and the store. So they "explained" that up until the day the contract expires, there is an "early cancellation" fee, which will be a minimum of $125. I then say that when I signed the original contract 3 years ago, I was able to upgrade after 2 years. Then it went to 30 months. Now with 5 weeks left in the contract you want to charge 2 months early renewal plus another $100?
Does this sound right? Has Rogers changed the terms again?
- 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM #3
Tell them you want to cancel the acct, and you will get transferred to retenions, they should be able to help you, espically if you have a ticket # of a rep saying it would be free.. Or contact the CCTS they would help
CCTS · CPRST
1st) I would try rogers soical media team on twitter they are pretty good!
- CrackBerry Abuser
06-13-2012, 08:16 PM #4
- 239 Posts
keep us posted on what the result of this is, i have a similar situation and it is frustrating to say the least.
i now record any conversations i have with rogers reps, as every day seems to be a different offer/story.
from what i understand they increased the early upgrade term from 30 months to 36 months. which doesnt make it early anymore.
i am interested in aquiring a second 9900 and they dont have much to offer me(a long time rogers customer)
wind mobile does have a decent deal on right now which is prob where i will get my second 9900.presently rocking a trio of Z10,9900,PB.
BlackBerry by Choice
- 06-14-2012, 06:25 AM #6
Early upgrade is a Hardware Upgrade on your existing 3-yr plan, by getting a new phone on the 3-yr price, and keeping the same plan, but adding an extra 3-yr commitment to it.
What you wanted to do was cancel your plan, which you can't do before 3 years or you'll get a hefty fine. Notice the difference between the two?
Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
- CrackBerry Genius
06-15-2012, 12:41 AM #7
- 1,670 Posts
No ur first offer was legit. Different csr reps can offer different prices thats why it pays to call multiple times to shop' around to see what u get... I think some of them have quotas and are even nice enough to call u back. So no worries, take ur time, u'll end up with a good deal. Also dont just look at the device price $5 more a month for a plan is $180 more over 36 months contraxt so 'fre device' may end up costing u more in the long run
Sorry for the lengthy delay. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with various CSR people. I have to laugh, they certainly don't consider the person on the other end of the phone smart. 5 different reps, and one from retentions all gave me the same "offer", which is what is currently out there (My 10, 1 GB data, free weekends, unlimited texting etc), just kept wording it differently. One rep actually said "well I can get it down to $60 a month plus taxes", to which I said "that's what I pay on my other account, not really a deal and what you are offering online".
In the end I cancelled. It is really my daughters phone which would have been put in her name this week, and as I said to her, there are better offers out there. Let it go and shop around. She is moving to London where she can get Wind, but then when she is home will get hit with roaming. I just said to do her research, and before she signs a contract to call me (I'm one of those fine print readers).