Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DUDEBUD
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Rogers my account app bb10

Is it accessible over wifi? I got an error loading it over wifi and I'm wondering if anyone has same problem on their z10.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask me ;)

Nope not accessible over wifi. You have to use your Rogers data connection to authenticate.
    Had the same issue myself. I was at home and had to turn off my wifi, then try again using LTE.
    Worked !
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Default Yes

Yes, had to turn off wifi here too to get the access. It's a pain.

4. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,746 Global Posts

Yes, it's a big pain lol on my 9900 I could access it with my WiFi on as long as my cell network was on also. Now on my Z10 I have to disable WiFi to access my Rogers App. Not sure if this is a BlackBerry issue or a Rogers issue.

Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    CrackBerry User

This isn't an issue, it's done this way to authenticate you. Android app does this as well.
    Thanked by:
    habs_fan (02-12-2013) 
    tjseaman likes this.
  6. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,746 Global Posts

It's an issue in the sense that on my 9900 I could access My Rogers App with WiFi turned on and connected. It may not have used my WiFi connection, it may very well have gone over my HSPA+ network I'm not arguing that, but I did not have to turn off my WiFi to access the app. Now, on BB10, I have to turn off my WiFi in order to access the My Rogers App.

Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    CrackBerry Master

my iOS device did this as well. it makes sense to.
    Bold 9000 -> iPhone 5 -> White Z10
    Playbook 16GB

Global Posts
    3,443 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

Both sides are valid.. yes it's a bit of an inconvenience to have to turn off wifi to get the app to connect, BUT is also understand why it's done this way.. a connection over the wireless network is fool proof authentication.. there is no doubt what account you are tying to access and that you are the owner (or are at least in possession of the phone). I think the disconnect is legacy BB's had a way of separating web traffic.. some packets transferred over the carrier network or wifi depending on availability while other things went strictly through the NOC which again is authenticated.. likely the old rogers app too advantage of that port and send it's connection over the carrier network, andn through the NOC even when the device was connected to wifi.. BB10 devices which have now severed that leash, must cut off carrier data access completely when the wifi kicks in..certainly better for the users wallet.. but small inconveniences like this will arise.. as has been said above though, this is the say way android and ios handle data traffic, and thus the same way carrier apps operate on those platforms.

In the end, for all that we have gained with BB10.. there will be a few small things that just aren't possible using the new tech.

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.1154/misc) and everything in between + Playbook 32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition

Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
    I think the disconnect is legacy BB's had a way of separating web traffic..
    Bingo. In OS 7 and earlier we used to be able to specify which data transport the app used, so the My Account app would be hardcoded to use the cellular connection, regardless of WiFi being on or not.

With PB/BB10, if I recall correctly, there is no longer a way to specify the preferred transport - it uses whatever the preferred connection is.
    CrackBerry User

The app doesn't show my data usage at all. It only shows how many calls I've made. I have a 3GB data plan every month and it shows 0GB used when in fact I use about 1.5-2GB per month. I'm on the Rogers network. I did notice in Blackberry World that when I choose My World and tap the app, it says that its not available for the Z10. Is this a Blackberry issue OR a Rogers issue? Any thoughts?