CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs down Rogers doesn't support UMA/Wi-fi calling with 9900 even on 7.1 bundle 1310

Even though it's an option in the OS allowing one to select Wi-fi calling, it doesn't work.
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,200 Global Posts

You ever think that it might be because they havent released a OS7.1?

*epic facepalm*

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...701724DC.node1

if it isnt their OS, they wont support it, they have not launched OS7.1 yet
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by observer View Post
    Even though it's an option in the OS allowing one to select Wi-fi calling, it doesn't work.
    You need to activate it on your account. It starts at $5 a month. If you have web access to MyRogers you can activate it there. You may need to call first if you cannot activate it via the web page. I have used it off and on over the past few months, including the more expensive $25 unlimited call home feature when in the USA. The first time I used it, I had called to get it activated. I later noticed it in the MyRogers self serve web page, though I don't know if they had to add it or it was always there.

It is under talk more for less in the manage add-ons section of your account on MyRogers.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,160 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6425E3

I have it, and used it many times since 7.1. First leaked and it works great for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Fubaz View Post
    You ever think that it might be because they havent released a OS7.1?

*epic facepalm*

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...701724DC.node1

if it isnt their OS, they wont support it, they have not launched OS7.1 yet
    Of course Rogers released their 7.1 yesterday, I downloaded it from the device itself from the prompt. Wish you were right though, and your link doesn't work above.

Quote Originally Posted by Habs_fan View Post
    I have it, and used it many times since 7.1. First leaked and it works great for me.
    So yours is a leak and not the official Rogers 7.1 which was released from yesterday? Is yours from T-mobile? Mine is the 7.1 bundle 1310 (version 7.1.0.391). Where did you get your leak version?

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    You need to activate it on your account. It starts at $5 a month. If you have web access to MyRogers you can activate it there. You may need to call first if you cannot activate it via the web page. I have used it off and on over the past few months, including the more expensive $25 unlimited call home feature when in the USA. The first time I used it, I had called to get it activated. I later noticed it in the MyRogers self serve web page, though I don't know if they had to add it or it was always there.

It is under talk more for less in the manage add-ons section of your account on MyRogers.
    Well, I did together with the Rogers rep and it didn't work, then when they investigated further, they told me the 9900 isn't supported on 7.1 for their wi-fi calling.
    Last edited by observer; 05-05-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wifi calling requires you to have the plan that allows for it. Rogers calls it "UMA" calling. My son for example has it incorporated into his "student plan" whereas I have a different plan that does not include it, opting for unlimited in-coming calls instead (I run my own business and this allows me to call forward to my device not worrying about usage).

Hope that answers the original posters question. Irrespective of the featurs of any new OS, some featurs require you to actually subscribe to a particular feature you want to use.

From RIM's site:

While you’ve got Wi-Fi connectivity by connecting to Mobile Hotspot1, make calls over Wi-Fi instead of using your plan’s minutes.3

1 Dependent on carrier and device capabilities.
    3 Check with your service provider for availability, cost and restrictions. Subject to change.

It is correct though that as of now, wifi calling on the 9900 is not even offerred however, given the release of this new O/S I would imagine that Rogers will roll out the feature now for this phone. Give it a bit of time.
    Last edited by drfever; 05-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by drfever View Post
    It is correct though that as of now, wifi calling on the 9900 is not even offerred however, given the release of this new O/S I would imagine that Rogers will roll out the feature now for this phone. Give it a bit of time.
    Yes, too bad. We waited long enough for 7.1 to roll out for the 9900 and UMA was the single feature I most looked forward to.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Good news, despite what Rogers senior support staff may tell you, their official 7.1.0.391 does support UMA on the 9900. Finally got it working after a few reboots and insisting customer support to add the feature..
    CrackBerry Newbie

Agreed. With the new OS update released by rogers the 9900 will support wifi calling but NOT UMA. Ie) you'll be able to send/recieve calls via a wifi connection with no cell signal, however without UMA, it won't hand off the call to the network should you leave the wifi signal.

Rogers tech support advised me that there are release notes for their support agents that speak to wifi support for the 9900, however it is not commonly known. I went through 3 tech support agents to verify - as I KNEW it would work (I had swapped sim cards with my wife's bb which had wifi calling on the plan). When it booted up it showd the wifi calling logo on the screen and successfully made and received wifi calls.

The trick is to just tell an argumentitive customer service agent to add the feature to the plan regarless of whether they say there is support or not.

Good luck! Now on to see if the BB 10 will support it.... Hope so!