Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By valeuche
  • 1 Post By gebco
  • 1 Post By tack
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    995 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Real world difference between 4G and LTE?

How much of a real world difference is there between 4G and 4G LTE? Rogers only has 4G in my area right now whereas my local provider looks to have LTE sooner and perhaps across the entire province.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts

I get between 5 and 10 Mbps download on HSPA+ and between 10 and 35 Mbps on LTE. Upload on LTE is 10x after for me. The only time I have noticed the difference is when using my phone as a hotspot for my pc or tablet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 

depends on area. hspa+ and LTE can both run neck and neck with each other. I get around 15-20 mbps on my both me nexus devices with a slight edge to the LTE version most times. but tmobiles HSPA+ i have gotten over 30 before in a different area and i think the best LTE test i got was 28 or so. But it all depends on area and what is available really
    ~Matt
    OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

For me, it's night and day. LTE is leaps and bounds ahead of H+.
    Only bummer is the Z10's battery doesn't like LTE.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    This message was most likely posted from my PlayBook LTE, or my White Zed 10, or perhaps my HP laptop on my 10's wifi hotspot. Point is, BlackBerry played a part in this message!!
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    995 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming in regular browsing, youtube, etc I wouldn't notice much difference? What about streaming tv shows or downloading a movie from BB World? There will be times I may want to do that at the cabin where we have no wi-fi.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I see massive browser differences. The Z10 loads pages very quickly as is so when you feed it LTE, it really reciprocates.

I downloaded several albums and again the LTE was exceptional.

Having said that though, I would only caution you in that, LTE by carrier might be different.
    Rogers seems to have the pipe opened all the way so we're enjoying great speeds (for now I'm sure)

Posted from the CB App on my White Zed 10
    This message was most likely posted from my PlayBook LTE, or my White Zed 10, or perhaps my HP laptop on my 10's wifi hotspot. Point is, BlackBerry played a part in this message!!
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 

Only real benefit for me so far with LTE is tethering - aside from that, HSPA is still pretty fast - although there's a technical/battery advantage to finishing a download connection faster, to me I don't see a point of loading a video faster than I can watch it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    PIN
    7F61951A

You should understand that LTE encompasses a wide range of theoretical performance, and so does HSPA to a lesser extent.

LTE can be deployed in 1.4, 3, 5, 10, 15 or 20 MHZ and can be either frequency or time duplexed. LTE can also have 1, 2 or 4 spatial layers (that is, MIMO levels). So the range is all the way from 1.4 MHZ time duplexed on SISO (1 antenna) to 20+20 MHZ FDD, 4x4 MIMO. There are some markets with some carriers in the US that are 1.4+1.4 MHz FDD on SISO, and there are a few carriers in some canadian markets that are 20+20 MHZ, 2x2 (I believe) MIMO. Further compounding this is that the device category limits the received bandwidth generally to below what a 20 MHz 2-layer MIMO tower could transmit - to about 100 mbps.

HSPA is always frequency duplexed and right now is always either 5+5 MHz or 10+5 MHz (which would be DC-HSPA) with SISO.

Both HSPA and LTE have the same maximum modulation complexity (64QAM).

In Canada you are most likely looking at 20 MHz 2-layer MIMO vs 10 MHz SISO, 64 QAM so taking out the control channel difference between the two, you'd expect LTE to be approximately 4x faster in the typical case, however because of that wide range of possible performances for both HSPA and LTE and the fact that this is a worldwide forum it's impossible to make the blanket statement that LTE is always better than HSPA.

Even the current HSPA specification would allow an almost comparable configuration, 10 MHz and 2x2 MIMO, and 20 MHz and 2x2 MIMO is in the future for HSPA, it just doesn't happen to be deployed that way.
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 
    wxmancanada likes this.

I got all tingly reading that - you rock!
    Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    In Canada you are most likely looking at 20 MHz 2-layer MIMO vs 10 MHz SISO, 64 QAM so taking out the control channel difference between the two, you'd expect LTE to be approximately 4x faster in the typical case, however because of that wide range of possible performances for both HSPA and LTE and the fact that this is a worldwide forum it's impossible to make the blanket statement that LTE is always better than HSPA.
    And yes, for Rogers, in most urban cores we have 2x20MHz - smaller markets/outer boundaries are 2x10MHz.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

i used a speed test app(runs through speedtest.net) once on TELUS H(4G) and once on 4G LTE, speeds were 4.2 down, 2.1 up for H, 9.8down 9.2 up for LTE, so pretty noticible
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 

Since we're on the topic... I'm along the Ottawa River Parkway in Ottawa, ON

Download: 34.48 Mbps
    Upload: 17.22 Mbps

This is pretty average for the area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Real world difference between 4G and LTE?-lte_test_2-23-2013.png  
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    995 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

The ''problem'' for me is that my local provider and the one I am under contract with (MTS) has LTE in Winnipeg, but Rogers has promised it but it isn't here yet and my employer seems to be leaning toward subsidizing our personal phone plans (BYOD) on Rogers. Realistically I would download videos and such on wifi. Where it would really come into play might be at my cabin on Lake Winnipeg where I might want to rent a video from BBWorld. For now though, even MTS doesn't have LTE there.

Quote Originally Posted by gebco View Post
    The ''problem'' for me is that my local provider and the one I am under contract with (MTS) has LTE in Winnipeg, but Rogers has promised it but it isn't here yet and my employer seems to be leaning toward subsidizing our personal phone plans (BYOD) on Rogers. Realistically I would download videos and such on wifi. Where it would really come into play might be at my cabin on Lake Winnipeg where I might want to rent a video from BBWorld. For now though, even MTS doesn't have LTE there.
    Taking a look at the towers in Manitoba now - I think you'll find it very difficult to get LTE service up there - as it is, most of the current towers in that area are still only 850 MHz - as for LTE in Winnipeg - most of the towers will be focused on Winnipeg's core- you'll have a hard time getting a signal out of the city limits.

For example - here in Ottawa - once you get around 10km away from the city limits -- LTE is gone. Fun fact, we have about 122 LTE cells in Ottawa right now.
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-24-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    995 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Thanks @wxmancanada. Looks like it's a moot point. The chances of MTS putting LTE there is probably low due to the low populaton density; eventually Rogers will put LTE in Wpg. I'll probably end up changing to Rogers. Nice thing with Rogers is that it is a national plan; with our local provider we are limited to 300 mb of data out of the province (although unlimited, for now, in the province).
    wxmancanada likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts

I get 51 down and 21 up with a 60ms ping at my house on Verizon LTE. Not bad!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    wxmancanada likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

In the Greater Toronto Area, I find that the biggest difference comes from latency. I find that on my Z10, connections are established much faster when on Rogers' LTE network compared to their HSPA+ (4G) network. As far as downloading content, I don't notice a huge difference, unless it's a large download (>3-5MB) or a webpage with many images.
    Thanked by:
    gebco (02-28-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

MTS has stated they do want their LTE network to span the same footprint their CDMA and HSPA+ networks currently do. How ever they have not given a timeframe, so who knows when that would actually be.

They're pumping a lot of money into fiber optics networks right now, but as Rogers, Telus and Bell start pushing towards LTE in Manitoba, MTS won't have a choice if they want to keep up.