Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Early Upgrade Fee on Rogers

Just FYI, if you're not eligible for an upgrade yet:

I called up Rogers to determine my upgrade eligibility, and was told that there would be a $299 Early Upgrade Fee. I asked the rep what the Early Cancellation Fee would be, and that if it wasn't much different I'd just cancel and go to another carrier. The sales rep didn't have that info, and transferred me to another rep (retentions, perhaps). I learned my ECF would be ~$500, but even so the rep cut the Upgrade Fee in half.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

How far are you in your contract? Mine ends in 8 months and am thinking of doing the early upgrade thingy. Haven't called them yet.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

It's around $15 to $20 a month of remain contract but you can get it reduced by threatening to leave Early upgrading with Rogers - any tips on reducing the fees? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,207 Global Posts

I called Telus today. They said my early upgrade fee is 250$ plus the 149$ for the Z10. I have 14 months left in contract. I asked if they could do anything for me. I was transferred to customer retention. The confirmed the fee and reiterated that can not reduce the fee. I said that if I and paying that fee I am taking my business to Rogers as phone is cheaper and white one is an extra 100$ off. So they reduced the cost of my monthly plan to compensate for the cost of the cancellation fee. So if you want to upgrade early its definitely worth calling your provider !!!

Now I'm getting a black Z10 on the 5th and a kickass deal
    CrackBerry Abuser

Same here,

Am with rogers and contract is up next october. Cancellation fee was 117$, upon asking they said they could not levy it but could offer a 10$ a month credit for 1 year, amounting to 120$, basically voiding the fees. You should always ask first. They also confirmed that upon new activation (for my second phone) that I could indeed get the 100$ for the white one!
    CrackBerry Addict

Same deal for me. I called Rogers and my early upgrade was $280. Total would have been 280+139.99+35+tax. Asked how much it would cost to just cancel my contract and I was transferred to the cancellations department. Explained I wanted to know the cost to cancel my contract, so I could determine if it would be cheaper to just cancel and go with another provider to take advantage of the subsidies. Next thing I know the cancellations rep is telling me she'll wave the entire early upgrade fee and the $35 activation, so the phone would be 139.99 + tax. Perfect, order placed.
    QuIcKsIlV3r likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

I just came from Rogers, paid the $299 HUP and $189 for phone - warning! it is $189 but they give you a $50 mail-in rebate coupon (in my experience it takes WEEKS to be credited). It still works out to be less than an outright purchase.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

More on the early HUP.
    As many others have experienced, the rogers store refused to sell me the handset without a renewal 3yr comitment.
    I have 10 months left on my contract and agreed to it for a couple of reasons:

1. There is a promo for $50 credit (instant, right off the bill)
    2. There is a promo for a mail in (or online) rebate which you must action on.

In total, I will have paid approx $270 after tax for my Z10.

Here is the breakdown

599-410 = 189 (standard HUP price --- typical carriers... existin customers pay more than new customers...)
    35 admin fee
    104 Early HUP
    43 Tax (Alberta, Canada)
    ----------------------
    $370
    -50 Instant HUP rebate
    -50 (self actionable rebate)
    ---------------
    $270 after tax
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yup I called into Rogers on my way to the store and he told me my early upgrade fee was $104 but he said he could reduce it in half. Unfortunately my store didn't have the Z10 in yet (tomorrow they said *fingers crossed) so tomorrow I will be paying $104+$35+139.99+5% tax and then on my second bill they will credit me the $52. I'm assuming the HUP rebate will still work? I had talked to another employee this morning about it and she gave me the coupon thing to get $50 back.
    CrackBerry Master

Rogers was awesome! I called up their sales department (not customer retentions), and said I wanted the new Z10 and how much to upgrade to it. She said it would be 189.99 (minus $50 rebate) + $35 Hardware Upgrade Fee + $442 early upgrade fee (I got my contract renewed last November) then plus taxes which comes to $750! I told them I was a long time customer and asked them nicely if I could get a discount. In the end, I got my White Z10 for $503 ($553 - $50 rebate) and I just found a buyer for my iPhone 5 for $470. Not bad, cant wait to get my hands on it on Friday hopefully!
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by crazeee4u View Post
    Yup I called into Rogers on my way to the store and he told me my early upgrade fee was $104 but he said he could reduce it in half. Unfortunately my store didn't have the Z10 in yet (tomorrow they said *fingers crossed) so tomorrow I will be paying $104+$35+139.99+5% tax and then on my second bill they will credit me the $52. I'm assuming the HUP rebate will still work? I had talked to another employee this morning about it and she gave me the coupon thing to get $50 back.
    Well - by the time I walked into the store yesterday, I already had it all arranged from the day before with Rogers retentions dept. Mine was also $104 - and they waived it all! Mind you, I've been with them for 12 years....about time they did something for me
    9000 > 9800 and now BB Z10 and 32GB PlayBook glued to my person!

I have two personal lines - the upgrade fee on both was $420 - I was able to get a $200 credit per line - my jaw hit the floor. My last upgrade was in November!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Wow Wxmancanada. That's crazy. How were you able to upgrade just months after your last upgrade? I thought you had to wait at least 6-months before they would be willing to talk to you?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,405 Global Posts

It depends on how long you have been with the carrier and the amount of money you spend for their services.. i think that latter helps you out more if you spend more, hence they would try to keep you happy and keep your business.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had a $182 upgrade fee waived entirely, although they mentioned it may take upto 2 billing cycles for it to happen.

There was only a $30 difference between my upgrade cost & cancellation cost so I told them I was just going to cancel and get a better deal elsewhere.
    Got transferred to Retention and they waived the whole thing right away. First good thing Rogers has done for me
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by mblue23 View Post
    I had a $182 upgrade fee waived entirely, although they mentioned it may take upto 2 billing cycles for it to happen.

There was only a $30 difference between my upgrade cost & cancellation cost so I told them I was just going to cancel and get a better deal elsewhere.
    Got transferred to Retention and they waived the whole thing right away. First good thing Rogers has done for me
    Almost identical case scenario as mine last week. First time in 11 years I got something!
    CrackBerry User

I had an upgrade fee of just under $300. Telus has an offer (through Seneca Alumni, you can find he offer on Seneca's website in the alumni section). The offer is for a $150 credit to your account for switching to Telus. I called Rogers and very politely asked the customer retention department about my cancellation fees. When I say politely, I started the conversation by saying "I have nothing to complain about at all, and no reason to think I deserve to get out of the three year agreement I signed with you guys nine months ago, I just want the new BB and trying to weigh my optons of cancelling and switching to Telus with this deal they're offering, Vs staying with Rogers and upgrading".

The lady asked about the deal, and then took my $300 upgrade fee and reduced it to $80. $80 (upgrade fee) + $150 (cost of z10) + $30(some transfer fee) equals $260. Once I get the z10 (which shipped today), I will sell my 9810 on Kijiji and hopefully offset the cost by $100-$150. $260-$100 equals $160. That means I basically paid $0 upgrade fee.

Hopefully something similar can work for everyone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ya I had Rogers waive my 140 dollars by putting 150 onto my account as a form of good will credit. They said it takes places over 2 billing months and Rogers even upgraded my plan. For $65 bucks they gave me caller id, voicemail, unlimited messaging, 3gb data, and unlimited calling canada wide. Rogers retention is really trying to keep their customers thats for sure
    CrackBerry Abuser

Davis I got that same plan! It's awesome. I'm impressed. I'm paying 2$ more a month and went from 200 min to unlimited and 1GB data to 3GB! They also waived a 117$ Early Upgrade fee and my 35$ activation fee. I had to fight them quite a bit and talk to three different people in customer retention. The one lady agreed I should cancel my service and return my phone that night! Never been treated like that by Rogers before. I actually took my phone got in my car and drove to the Rogers Plus store to return it but I forgot my receipt so when I went back home I called Rogers back in a fit or rage and the guy who helped me gave me whatever I asked for. I also filed a formal complaint against the lady who told me to return my phone and cancel.

I can't even begin to tell you why I told them I deserved to have the fee waived as its such a long story but let's just say I must be red flagged after all the bull I've had to deal with with Rogers since I got my Z10

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

They didn't even bring up any upgrade fees with me, and my contract doesnt end until august.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Well I called Rogers, didn't get what I expected...

First they told me it would cost me $800+ dollars to upgrade to get the Z10 because I don't have data on my plan.
    If I got data added to my plan (monthly cost goes up $10) it would cost me $350~ dollars to upgrade + $75 a month.
    I asked how much would it be to cancel and they transferred me to retentions.
    The guy in retentions told me all they can do is cut down the early upgrade fee in half. The cancellation fee is 104, so it would cost me 50 dollars, leaving me with a $300 dollar fee to upgrade and paying more every month...
    I am due for an upgrade in October (8 months)
    Kinda feels like I'm not getting the deal everyone else is going threw retention... Is there something I'm missing?
    CrackBerry Master

Well Andre....I think the key factors here are your lack of data, which means you were probably on a fairly cheap plan - and the other thing is how much money have they got out of you already, i.e. how long have you been with Rogers? They are not going to lose money on you - which means they would indulge you with what you want right now (monetary and hardware) as long as they benefit in the end. That's business. Just my speculation, mind you....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Thanks for the quick reply jvictor77,
    Ive been with rogers since 2003. And my plan is currently $65 a month...
    I got rid of my data about 6 months ago (huge mistake) because I was only using my email...
    I would say they made money on me even within the last 2years 4months hehe (roughly $1800)

Oh well, not sure what im going to do... It's not the money that is the issue, its just being a loyal costumer for so many years, and not really being offered anything spectacular...
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cap_172R View Post
    It depends on how long you have been with the carrier and the amount of money you spend for their services.. i think that latter helps you out more if you spend more, hence they would try to keep you happy and keep your business.
    After I bought a BlackBerry Z10 I called Rogers to discuss switching my then current voice. text, and BES data plan to the unlimited talk, text, and 6GB generic data plan which reduced my monthly invoice while significantly upgrading my service. When I asked about cancelling my MiFi subscription because the BlackBerry Z10 provides hotspot capability the Rogers representative told me the ECF and offered to reduce the monthly fee on that service by 50% which for the remaining months worked out to be less expensive than outright cancellation; all I have to do is call them 60 days before the end of the term if I want to discontinue the mobile MiFi service. At this price reduction (50%) I might give the MiFi to a relative for use with their BlackBerry PlayBook since they do not have Internet access. My normal monthly invoice from Rogers was over 350.00; the new monthly fees amount to less than 200.00 (plus taxes) for MiFi, Rocket Hub, Rocket Stick, BIS data plan for my backup emergency BlackBerry smartphone (BIS data works even in the face of hurricanes and earthquakes), and 6GB data plus unlimited talk and text with voicemail, call display, etc.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrePrev View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply jvictor77,
    Ive been with rogers since 2003. And my plan is currently $65 a month...
    I got rid of my data about 6 months ago (huge mistake) because I was only using my email...
    I would say they made money on me even within the last 2years 4months hehe (roughly $1800)

Oh well, not sure what im going to do... It's not the money that is the issue, its just being a loyal costumer for so many years, and not really being offered anything spectacular...
    You should switch to:
    1. the 3GB data plan plus unlimited local calls 24x7, call display, voicemail, unlimited Canada-wide calling from computer or tablet via Rogers One Number (80.00 per month); only 15.00 a month more for 3GB data plan compared to your current plan, or
    2. the 5GB data plan plus unlimited Canada-wide calling 24x7, call display, voicemail (100.00 per month); only 35.00 a month more for 5GB data plan and unlimited Canada-wide calling compared to your current plan.

Yes, your BlackBerry Z10 will gobble 1GB of data faster than you realize if you actually use your new smartphone for more than email.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast