Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    820 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Changing carriers: what should I consider?

Hi everyone. This could have been posted in any other carier forum but I chose Rogers because I'm leaning towards them. Here's my situation in point form:

- I have a business account with Rogers at work and I'm the administrator of the account. Unfortunately, with all the downsizing that we've had over the last few years the account has one user left on it, and it is not me. There are 4 other users that are with other carriers or with a Rogers personal account. My intention is to consolidate everyone under one account.

- My own cell phone account is with Telus, however my contract expired 2 years ago. Didn't renew it because I was waiting for the Z10.

- I travel to the USA about 6-10 times a year for business. Also travel to Mexico and the Caribbean although not as often.

- I live in a major metropolitan area - Montreal - and don't stray too often to rural areas. I've been with Rogers before and found their coverage decent (2g & 3g). I've had some issues wth Telus but I don't know if it's related to coverage or just isolated incidents. I will need good LTE coverage and I know I can get that here and Toronto with any local carrier but need that in the US as well. About half the destinations I travel to are in major cities, the rest are a couple of hours out.

- Keeping my current phone number is a MUST.

My questions:
    1. Is LTE coverage and quality the same between the big three in Canada? What about the US?

2. How do I go about transferring my phone number if I decide to go with Rogers? Must I call Telus first, cancel, and ask them to tranfer my number to Rogers? Or is that all handled by Rogers? Remember that I am off-contract with Telus.

3. When I was on 3g, I understood that the Rogers service being GSM permitted simultaneous data and voice transmission but not with Telus since it was CDMA. Does this still apply on LTE?

I know what plan to get as I analyzed my usgae pattern over the past year. I'm pretty sure cost-wise Rogers, Telus, and Bell are competitive and ther won't be much difference so it'll all come down to signal coverage.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    7,005 Global Posts

1. Coverage is pretty similar except in the rural areas. The big three each have dead spots.
    2. The Rep at the Rogers store will be able to port the number for you.
    3. I can surf the web and talk on the phone if that's what you mean.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.1.1151 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3442
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,684 Global Posts

Voice is always on 3G, only data is LTE but you can do both at the same time unlike CDMA technology. I actually have a 1Gb $55 account that I am trying to get rid off with aroudn 1.5 yrs left which is a pretty sweet deal (Compared to the rip off of 'plans' they have right now) if you're interesterd let me know!
    Thanked by:
    dynot (02-03-2013) 

Being honest, I'm a Rogers employee, but I have a SIM card for every provider in Canada and openly offer my business to whomever I feel has the best deal/coverage/plans, etc at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dynot View Post
    1. Is LTE coverage and quality the same between the big three in Canada? What about the US?
    I'd say everyone is on average with each other. Rogers does seem to have better coverage here in Ottawa with respect to LTE. Rogers is the first to offer international LTE roaming, however I can't speak to the international LTE networks coverage, I just know you'll be able to use them.

2. How do I go about transferring my phone number if I decide to go with Rogers? Must I call Telus first, cancel, and ask them to tranfer my number to Rogers? Or is that all handled by Rogers? Remember that I am off-contract with Telus.
    DO NOT CANCEL YOUR NUMBER. If you cancel it first, Rogers WILL NOT be able to claim it and move it over. It will be lost forever. Proper procedure: You will have to call Rogers (if you decide on Rogers) and have them initiate the port. You will need your current mobile provider account number, telephone number, and provide some account info such as your address and any PIN/password you may have on the other account. Rogers will then port your number over and your old account will automatically be closed.

3. When I was on 3g, I understood that the Rogers service being GSM permitted simultaneous data and voice transmission but not with Telus since it was CDMA. Does this still apply on LTE?
    It's all a bit confusing, so here's how it will break down:

On Telus' CDMA network, you would be able to do data OR voice, not both at the same time. Telus' HSPA (SIM card phones) network would allow simultaneous voice and data at the same time.

With Rogers, there are basically 3 networks:
    2G (available most places and is only really used when 3G isn't present) would allow voice or (very, very slow data), but similar to CDMA, only one at a time. If you made a call, data wouldn't work.
    3G (HSPA) allows simultaneous voice and data.
    LTE, currently, is a data only channel. When you make a phone call, the phone will step down to the 3G network and connect the call. No voice actually travels over the LTE network. So in this case, you would have voice and data at the same time regardless.

I know what plan to get as I analyzed my usgae pattern over the past year. I'm pretty sure cost-wise Rogers, Telus, and Bell are competitive and ther won't be much difference so it'll all come down to signal coverage.
    As for signal coverage, my home town is about 50 miles north of Kingston, Ontario - long story short, the middle of nowhere. My TELUS/Bell handsets will rarely get a signal out of there - and if they do I usually can't move for fear of losing the call. A benefit to Rogers 2G network is that 2G signals go further than 3G/LTE signals. They penetrate basement walls, parking garages and in rural areas go the distance to get you a cell signal.

No network is perfect though - I've been in areas where I have a TELUS signal, but no Rogers signal. There's no science to it. Just who has towers where.

I'd recommend checking out this tool, I've found it to be pretty accurate:
    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...909-_-coverage

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!
    Thanked by:
    dynot (02-03-2013)