Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry $45 messaging plan *reps help*

Ok guys,

200 Weekday minutes
    Unlimited evening and weekend
    Unlimited incoming text messages
    Unlimited personal emails/instant messages
    10,000 sent picture/video messages
    10,000 sent text messages

is it really unlimited personal emails and instant messages (msn live) without using any data? since this plan has 0 data? I'm kinda boggled with this one.
    To use msn don't i have to be on the internet? and being on the internet uses data right...?

I've called rogers a few times and get different answers everytime

thinking about getting the curve 8900 or bold btw

Thanks guys!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

That plan would have data included i'd imagine....you can't get e-mail without data either
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    206529F5

This plan means email ONLY and MSN is allowed. I believe certain pathways for internet are not placed so you don't browse but instead only receive email and chat on msn/aol/icq/etc.

If you've got any more questions or concerns, I am open to receiving emails or calls at my number listed.
    Last edited by matthew.gip; 01-07-2009 at 03:24 PM.
    Corporate Account Manager
    Rogers Authorized Dealer
    PIN: 206529F5

TORONTO PIN EXCHANGE!!! SHOW SOME LOVE!
    CrackBerry Abuser

you can get the 500mb version instead of

Unlimited personal emails/instant messages
    10,000 sent picture/video messages
    10,000 sent text messages

for the same price, also comes with 50 bonus minutes

the unlimited emails/messages option doesn't include things like facebook, youtube, google maps etc...you need data plan for those
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

As more of a test than anything, I'm trying out the unlimited personal email / instant messaging blackberry messaging plan. For the most part, the data that comes through Rogers / RIM is included in this plan. Things like HTML email appear to work, but not the images in the mail (suck). Blackberry Maps and Google Maps don't work, and certain things are just plain blocked. Having email and IM with the txt's is quite nice for me. I don't need the other 'data', but sometimes I do want it. If I went for the 500MB option, then I would have to have more essentials for texting... no thanks. The only essential I have is call display for $6/month, which as ridiculous as it is, is difficult to live without.

The one thing I have found that works is the HotSpot browser. I only use it when in Wi-Fi coverage, but that's fine by me. It would be nice to have some like emergency way to access a data connection for a fee, but I have yet to figure that out. If I want to know my GPS address, I obviously need to use something other than Google maps or even the Blackberry maps.

... I'm still figuring things out. It's my first actual bberry too; even if I've had to support bosses who have had them for years.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Of course the email and IM uses data, you just don't get charged for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Right; but it would be really nice if programs that aren't allowed to use data could use WIFI instead..
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    :) nicely ask.

so is this plan unlimited data? or is it different .. :s im still confused.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The plan is not unlimited data. (data as in browsing,...etc.)

it is however,

Unlimited INSTANT MESSAGING (Windows Live Messenger, Blackberry Messenger..etc.)
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I can't post URL's yet, but if you go to rogers.com/unlimited

... that's the 'unlimited' plan right now. In their little booklet I could choose from a 500MB data plan or this unlimited messaging plan. Email, IM, Txt is most of what I use, so it made sense to go for the messaging plan, even if the rep thought I was insane for buying a 2G device with a messaging plan. The rep also uses like a gig of data and 5,000 txts a month, so whatever....

If I went for the 500MB data plan, then I would have to either not txt, or add that on in addition. For the price, the unlimited messaging works for me. There's just a few restrictions that don't make a lot of sense, and are not documented anywhere that I can find.

i.e. I can get HTML email, but when I go 'get images', it doesn't retrieve them. Yet if I have an attachment on an email, I can retrieve it. Huh?

i.e. I can browse using the hotspot browser all I want on wifi, but most other applications that use 'data' won't work on this plan at all, no matter what my coverage.

i.e. The device is advertised as having GPS, but with the messaging plan it's turned off.

Talking to a tech, he said I could get images in an HTML email, but I can't.. he thought it was weird that I could even use the browser at all on wifi, as he thought it was blocked. And after him supposedly removing some block on my account (not that he would say what exactly he was removing - I'm sure there's going to be data charges on my account, and I have no idea what application may be doing it), he said that GPS should work, but it doesn't.

So if someone has a more detailed description of this unlimited messaging plan, I would love to see it...