Are they worth getting? As in better than the cheap bic ones? The guy at the store said they need to be refilled every 3 weeks? It sounds pretty costly. What are the users opinions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 02:10 PM
    I like Zippos but don't own any because of the cost. The fuel cost is not bad unless you use the lighter constantly (and you will for a while right after you get it)
    They are really good, dependable lighters but I would lose it in a heartbeat (which is what I meant by the cost) That is why I stick to the BIC lighters.
    08-31-09 02:57 PM
    I have 2 lighters. I don't smoke, I just buy them for some strange reason I can't explain I like them though. A can of fuel costs 4 dollars here and it would probably last a smoker 4 or 5 months. Not exactly alot of money. The lighter itself on the other hand. Don't cheap out, you can tell the difference in quality. My $60 lighter is better than my $40. You can tell when you use them
    08-31-09 03:04 PM
    I like Zippos but don't own any because of the cost. The fuel cost is not bad unless you use the lighter constantly (and you will for a while right after you get it)
    They are really good, dependable lighters but I would lose it in a heartbeat (which is what I meant by the cost) That is why I stick to the BIC lighters.
    i'm not worried about losing them. i only smoke like 3 ciggs a day. how long before i would have to refill it? and if i bought it from a cigar shop, would they refill for me? i know they refill my friends cigar lighter for a lifetime.
    08-31-09 03:31 PM
    Well, the fluid will evaporate out of the lighter eventually even if it isn't used. 3 weeks sounds about right but that depends on temperature, atm pressure and humidity since those things could effect how quickly the fluid wants to evaporate. Its terribly simple to refill a zippo. Open the lid, pull the windproof tower part up, open the felt flap at the bottom of that unit, put a bit of fluid in (don't add too much), and put it back together. Takes under a minute.

That's one advantage that the refillable butane lighters have over Zippos, they can sit unused for long periods and only lose fuel when you are using them.

Another issue with the Zippos is if you put too much fluid in, and put it in your pocket like that, now you have petroleum products (napthalene I think) all over your leg/clothes. I don't smoke but have been told by those who do that the fuel for the zippos can add an unpleasant taste to the cigs since it dosnt burn as efficiently/clean as butane lighters.

Basically for me I have a handful of Zippos, but carry a windproof refillable Butane lighter because I don't have to top it off if I'm not using it, unlike the Zippo.

08-31-09 03:56 PM
    they leak? that doesn't sound good at all
    08-31-09 04:48 PM
    They leak if you overfill them, and yes when you light a cig with a Zippo and take a drag, you can taste the fuel for a second. Don't ever use a Zippo to light a joint or a bong, use BIC's for that...
    08-31-09 04:51 PM
    They leak if you overfill them, and yes when you light a cig with a Zippo and take a drag, you can taste the fuel for a second. Don't ever use a Zippo to light a joint or a bong, use BIC's for that...
    That is illegal activity my friend. lawl
    08-31-09 05:23 PM
    I have 4. One I have had since 1987 (college graduation gift)

A quick tip: Keep an extra wick and an extra flint in the lighter.
    08-31-09 05:59 PM
    Love 'em. One I use on special occasions is one my father used while in the Navy on submarines back in the late 50's. Talk about a lifespan.

Also, firing up a heater for a fem with a zippo is much better than a 99 center.
    08-31-09 06:34 PM
    That is illegal activity my friend. lawl
    You only live once too
    08-31-09 06:42 PM
    Zippos are fairly windproof as well and were considered the "windproof lighter" before butanes became available.

I like using em. They used to be given out like candy at clubs in LA and NY. I have tons of them lying around. I used to like collecting exclusive Marlboro ones as well cause I'm a real man.
    08-31-09 07:10 PM
    I would never be without my Zippo. The one I currently use, I've had for nearly 20 years.
    08-31-09 08:25 PM
    yeah i just bought one like 10 minutes ago. you guys sold me. i like it so far. i couldn't tell the difference between the taste on a first drag. its cool i keep playing with the flip part lol
    08-31-09 08:39 PM
    You'll like it, practically everyone does. Like it's been said, don't overfill it (you'll learn the amount to use over time) buy a couple extra flints and wicks for the future.

Hope you enjoy it. As long as it doesn't get lost or stolen, you'll own that lighter forever.
    09-01-09 09:47 AM
    hahahahahahahaha
    09-01-09 09:51 AM
    The only thing I miss about smoking is my Zippo!!

09-01-09 09:57 AM
    It is not costly to keep a Zippo in working order.

Fuel = $1.89 which I buy every three to four months.
    Wicks = .89 which doesn't have to be changed that often, maybe once, twice a year.
    Flints = .89 comes with 5 and each flint can last a while, if you're a moderate smoker.

So all in all, you'd be looking at spending up to $10-$15 a year using a Zippo. Compared to using and buying Bics that cost $1.89 each and lord knows how many of them you're gonna have to buy because you lost it or someone stole it.

The only expensive part of owning a Zippo is the actual Zippo itself.which can run up to $30. I have a Rolling Stones one that cost me $65.

09-01-09 10:02 AM
    Oh and I just saw one yesterday I'm definitely gonna have to get my hands on. It has a skull engraved on the front side of it.

09-01-09 10:16 AM
    How can you tell which side is the front?
    j/k

Every Zippo I've ever owned has been lost or stolen. However, almost every BIC I buy, I end up keeping until it runs out of fluid. It's ridiculous.
    09-01-09 10:34 AM
    I buy pink and purple BIC lighters, that way my buddies don't steal them cause they're girly colors...
    09-01-09 10:42 AM
    I buy pink and purple BIC lighters, that way my buddies don't steal them cause they're girly colors...
    Yeah I bet that's the reason SD. I only buy BIC's (because they're the only disposables that are worth a damn) with stupid pictures on them. I've got one with 12 point buck on it, one with Dale Earnhardt Jr and a couple with motorcycles/choppers. However, I live in Mississippi so these lighters have just as good a chance of getting stolen as a regular lighter, probably more.

But I buy the BIC's for the same reason you do SD- it's pretty difficult to light a bowl with a Zippo or Zippo style lighter.
    09-01-09 10:48 AM
    i bought a zippo on my 18th birthday for myself, something i plan on keeping for a long time, i dont even smoke anymore, but i keep it on hand, i feel weird without it
    09-01-09 03:31 PM
    Yeah I bet that's the reason SD. I only buy BIC's (because they're the only disposables that are worth a damn) with stupid pictures on them. I've got one with 12 point buck on it, one with Dale Earnhardt Jr and a couple with motorcycles/choppers. However, I live in Mississippi so these lighters have just as good a chance of getting stolen as a regular lighter, probably more.

But I buy the BIC's for the same reason you do SD- it's pretty difficult to light a bowl with a Zippo or Zippo style lighter.
    If its similar to lighting a pipe, you certainly can do it with a zippo.. just lay it flat on top of the *insert smoking device of choice* and the flame will pull down through the gratey part on top.

As for the quality of them, I've been through 2 Colibri butane lighters (over $100 each) and my Zippo has outlasted them... going on 12 years now
    09-01-09 10:39 PM
    If its similar to lighting a pipe, you certainly can do it with a zippo.. just lay it flat on top of the *insert smoking device of choice* and the flame will pull down through the gratey part on top.

As for the quality of them, I've been through 2 Colibri butane lighters (over $100 each) and my Zippo has outlasted them... going on 12 years now
    You're right, it can be done. I've had to do it on occasion myself but the BIC style (butane) lighters are best for the pipes. Back when I had a Zippo, I had to keep a BIC on me too for "other" purposes than lightning cigarettes.

My roommate has a really nice butane lighter I think is made by Lotus (the car company) or at least has the Lotus logo on it. That thing runs out of fuel like nobody's business.
    09-02-09 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD