I don't hold off my Purchase of a Car because I know next year the same model will be 10% more fuel efficient, I don't hold off buying my laptop because in 6 months their will be a better one, those people who say they wont buy because QNX is around the corner are the hypocrites as I am sure they do not buy the latest and greatest of every technology.
    Not as hypocritical as people who say BlackBerries don't need 1.0 GHz CPUs, fluid animations are fluff... then scramble to buy the new OS7 devices on the day they are released. And I don't understand your logic here. People who skip OS7 devices because QNX is around the corner are probably waiting for the latest and greatest from Apple and Android phone manufacturers which will come much sooner than QNX. How is that hypocritical?

I plan to upgrade my OS6 device to this OS7 device, and then my OS7 device to a QNX device, because I upgrade yearly, EVERY DEVICE is a stop gap solution before the next one, you just have to pick how big the gap is.
    I don't see how iOS4 is a stopgap for iOS5, neither Bada 1.2 for Bada 2.0, nor Android 2.3 for 2.4. If you take the definition of stopgap strictly then probably yes, but clearly BBOS7 is the stopgap for QNX.
    08-04-11 09:42 PM
    How can you possibly try to give a "commentary" on something you havent tried yet. Are you serious, how can a "professional" writer give an opinion about a device he hasnt tried yet. Even if its not a direct review about the product
    I haven't held it or tried it physically either, but I have been reading about it and watching vids of others using it for months. I know what it can do and what's new in os7. Rim's site has tons of info as well. He's just getting his info from other sources and writing a story about what he has gleaned from that. I didn't come away from his article feeling like he was trying to do a review of a device he had not even touched. On the other hand he really didn't tell me or anybody else who is half informed about tech stuff anything we didn't already know about the new BB's. Bottom line is he is correct and you and alot of others don't want to hear it. I love blackberry, have for years and am sad to see their current situation as struggling, but I'm a fanboy of nobody but me and I'll use what suits me. The bigger fact is, bb os7 is a minor upgrade that alot of people will not jump on for the extra cash it will set them back. Yeah ok if 99% of the folks in CB get a new Bold, which would be a huge stretch then we'd have maybe .00005% of the total BB users in the U.S. RIM's tale will be told when QNX devices are available if they ever get here in a timely manner that is.
    Last edited by cbreze; 08-04-11 at 10:05 PM.
    08-04-11 10:03 PM
    i can't wait to see if Sprint will get the Bold touchscreen. I hope so, as for thinking twice, i was there when i bought this playbook, but now that I have an iPad2, the wait isnt so harsh, but its impossible to deny the snow job RIM did with this playbook. saw the youtube vids on the new phones and only the bold touch looks handsome. Im so sick of seeing android everywhere, makes me want QNX up and running, eventhough i will enjoy the app boost with android player i dont look forward to their washed out icons on my bright HD screen
    08-05-11 03:38 AM
    I recall a dialouge in Billy Madison " what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"
    08-05-11 04:30 AM
    I think people put too much emphasis on Apps. I mean I agree that it's good to have variety like Apple has but at the same time, it isn't a necessity. I think the only reason Samsung, Sony, etc are doing well is because they have the Android OS, which has alot of apps. Other than that the phone would suck ***. The new Berries are outstanding
    08-05-11 08:33 AM
    QNX is an entirely new operating system. Yes, there are apps being written for the PlayBook that may or may not scale well to a handheld device, but here are a few of my points about why waiting for QNX makes no sense.

- If you want something other than BlackBerry OS, you don't have to wait. There are other popular successful solid alternatives available now. Android and iOS the front-runners, and there is WP7, and WebOS too if you really like sinking ships. So, waiting for QNX doesn't seem really logical unless you're convinced that QNX is going to ROCK on handhelds, moreso than BB7
    - If you want an OS with an established ecosystem with lots of apps, QNX ain't it. BB7 has more apps than QNX. Sure, QNX is powerful, capable, secure etc., but we're STILL waiting for Angry Birds and Skype on the PlayBook, so I'm not going to count any more chickens (no pun intended) on what apps might be available on QNX: I like what I got on BB7 and might like QNX even more than I do, eventually, when the all the apps that everybody posted to that CB thread about "Top 20 non-PlayBook apps you want ported to the PlayBook" are ported, then I think QNX App World selections will rival everything on the other platforms... but that's not now.
    - I'm not 100% convinced that QNX on the new BB7 devices will be out of the question: I mean, the PlayBook has a dual core 1GHz CPU with graphics chip... the new Torch 9850/9860 has a SINGLE core 1.2 GHz with a graphics chip. I don't know whether or not the GPUs are comparable, but I don't think it's that hard to imagine QNX being ported. I mean, QNX running in car dashboards isn't running on a 1 GHz dual core processor with GPU, so it may just be a matter of the "chrome" and possibly RIM will see the value in rolling out QNX onto the existing devices rather than asking that loyal RIM customers invest in BOTH an entirely new QNX-for-handhelds platform AND a new device
    - My annual budget includes a new un-subsidized BlackBerry device. I know that most people's does not, but I'm willing to pay for a QNX upgrade, but maybe I'll get a few extra months out of my BB7 device after the launch of the QNX devices, given that I think the BB7 devices will be plenty fast for me.

So... if the appeal to you for a RIM device is the core competencies of the BlackBerry platform / hardware form factor, you'll have that in spades with BB7, and waiting for QNX will not do anything for you other than make you wait. If the time is right for you to buy now, buy and hold on to that device for 2 years and don't rush to QNX when it's launched on handhelds.

There are too damn many pundits needing to crank out "column inches" and they write too much stupid waste-of-time crap.
    08-05-11 10:23 AM
    Not as hypocritical as people who say BlackBerries don't need 1.0 GHz CPUs, fluid animations are fluff... then scramble to buy the new OS7 devices on the day they are released. And I don't understand your logic here. People who skip OS7 devices because QNX is around the corner are probably waiting for the latest and greatest from Apple and Android phone manufacturers which will come much sooner than QNX. How is that hypocritical?
    I disagree, They are equally as hypocritical as those who say BlackBerry's don't Need 1Ghz CPU's and Fluid animations are fluff.
    we done NEED them at all, they are perks to the platform, just like you don't NEED the biggest TV, it is a perk.
    People Waiting for QNX are also waiting for Apple and Android? I'm a little lost here why would they be waiting for all 3, if you have the means to purchase now, and BBOS7 doesn't do it for you, what is to make you think QNX will? or iOS 4 doesn't do it for you, why will iOS5? you always will be playing the waiting game.

I don't see how iOS4 is a stopgap for iOS5, neither Bada 1.2 for Bada 2.0, nor Android 2.3 for 2.4. If you take the definition of stopgap strictly then probably yes, but clearly BBOS7 is the stopgap for QNX.
    No BBOS7 IS the end of the line for the BBOS based on the JVM, it isn't a stop gap it is the completion of what OS5, then 6 became and 7 is finishing it off, leaving devices for another 4 months while they make QNX for the smartphone would have been a Stupid move, BBOS7 is a great upgrade from BBOS4.5 and BBOS5 devices, the Hardware on these devices make them an upgrade from BBOS6

I don't know how you CAN'T see iOS4 is just a Stop gap from iOS3 to iOS5, you can't believe that Apple didn't have iOS5 under development and brainstorming before the launch of iOS4, iOS4 was simply a Stop gap because they needed to launch the next device with something newer than the last device.

Same thing here with RIM.
    08-05-11 10:27 AM
    Why would you think twice before getting one of the new Berries should your wallet permit?

Because your a slithering, cold-blooded reptile.

Last edited by olblueyez; 08-05-11 at 10:58 AM.
    08-05-11 10:31 AM
    So, there is too much emphasis put on apps, yet you credit Android and its apps for the success of Samsung, etc.? A bit contradictory, don't you think?
    Not really contradictory,
    Apps are given too much emphasis because they are easy to sell on, a bunch of 99cent add ons if you will to the finished product, the actual value of having all these apps to the user is not nearly the value associated with having all the apps, but they do drive sales, the Samsung phones don't need apps to be great, they actually are beautiful devices without the apps, but the apps drove sales.

Put head to head the BlackBerry devices with what comes PreLoaded are the most functional compared to the devices that rely on app library's though once apps get installed and customized then the advantage starts to swing to the devices with all of the apps a user wants.

this is strictly speaking on the software side, all the apps in the world don't make up for the form factor which for me RIM wins hands down every day of the week for the last 3 years
    08-05-11 10:33 AM
    i hava a quick question. i am new to blackberry. i own the pb and love it. i was going to wait to get one of the new blackberrys to pair with the tablet. i also love how the pb works vs their phones. should i wait for the qnx ( whatever that means) or snag one of these? thanks
    08-05-11 10:42 AM
    i hava a quick question. i am new to blackberry. i own the pb and love it. i was going to wait to get one of the new blackberrys to pair with the tablet. i also love how the pb works vs their phones. should i wait for the qnx ( whatever that means) or snag one of these? thanks
    That depends on many factors

What form factor are you interested in for your smart phone?
    What phone do you use now? and are you happy with it?
    What are your funds like, are you financially secure enough to purchase a new device every year?

IF you want a QWERTY device like the Bold 9900 or the Torch 9810 then your wait for a QNX based device will be a LONG ONE as the first QNX device WILL be all touch screen, many assume it will just be a smaller Playbook, they wont be quick to roll out QNX based devices as they will want to ensure the OS is maturing properly before launching the second, 3rd, and so on devices.

IF you are in a position to purchase a new phone every year, jump onto the OS7 bus, next summer hopefully you'll have a few QNX devices to choose from.
    08-05-11 10:49 AM
    All you need to know about this article is right at the start of said article:

"In fairness, I haven't had a chance yet to play with the new BlackBerrys."
    therapyreject174 likes this.
    08-05-11 12:46 PM
    I disagree, They are equally as hypocritical as those who say BlackBerry's don't Need 1Ghz CPU's and Fluid animations are fluff.
    we done NEED them at all, they are perks to the platform, just like you don't NEED the biggest TV, it is a perk.
    People Waiting for QNX are also waiting for Apple and Android? I'm a little lost here why would they be waiting for all 3, if you have the means to purchase now, and BBOS7 doesn't do it for you, what is to make you think QNX will? or iOS 4 doesn't do it for you, why will iOS5? you always will be playing the waiting game.

No BBOS7 IS the end of the line for the BBOS based on the JVM, it isn't a stop gap it is the completion of what OS5, then 6 became and 7 is finishing it off, leaving devices for another 4 months while they make QNX for the smartphone would have been a Stupid move, BBOS7 is a great upgrade from BBOS4.5 and BBOS5 devices, the Hardware on these devices make them an upgrade from BBOS6

I don't know how you CAN'T see iOS4 is just a Stop gap from iOS3 to iOS5, you can't believe that Apple didn't have iOS5 under development and brainstorming before the launch of iOS4, iOS4 was simply a Stop gap because they needed to launch the next device with something newer than the last device.

Same thing here with RIM.
    deRusset, you probably need to read slower. I didn't say people waiting for QNX are waiting for Apple and Android phones. Even if they did, it's perfectly fine to evaluate 3 platforms before they plunge into another contract or sink a fortune into the latest and greatest while holding on to their current phones for as long as they can. Will you buy a Torch 9800 now that Torch 9810 is just a few weeks later? If your phone can hold out it makes sense to wait, no?

And no I still don't understand what you're trying to say, and I believe it's because you have a different understanding of what a "stopgap" means.
    08-05-11 02:18 PM
    Waiting for OS7 and waiting for QNX are two completely different things. People talking as though waiting for 6 months will get them a:

QNX Device
    Better Blackberry Device
    QNX Device that is ready for market and matured
    Device that has usable hardware upgrades

are bound to be disappointed and waste an upgrade cycle waiting for another new device to come to market based on rumors when they could have enjoyed a super nice 9900/9860 in the mean time.

Software makes the phones perform better and adds longevity to the life of the phone. It's not the hardware that needs to be upgraded every year, but the software that needs to be upgraded constantly, be it OS7, QNX, or any other OS.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-05-11 at 03:04 PM.
    08-05-11 02:59 PM
    It sounds as though you're admitting to the obvious inferiority of the current lineup.
    Let's be fair, the current line-up (9780, 9300, 9800, 9650) has extremely date hardware. Those 624MHz CPUs are at least 2 years old, the highest resolution is HVGA and lack of dGPU. Even by the time when they came out standards, those specs were mid-range. RIM has implicitly acknowledged that, as they doubled the CPU power, added the GPU for hardware accelerated software (and the oh-so-over-hyped games), doubled the resolution to full VGA and WVGA, thrown in a lot of RAM, added faster and more wireless connections, etc.

If we go from a purely hardware point of view, the current crop is dated, hence the doubling for this new batch. Notice I am not factoring in the software, which is decisive when buying a new device. How each person would then regard their device is based on UI+experience.

For example, I own a 8520, got it when it came to my service provider, 2 years ago. Since SFR never released an official OS5 (original OS 4.6), I got it from these forums a long time ago. Some time passed and the original Torch was launched, I was extremely happy to see it and was getting ready to buy it; after my experience, I felt like craving for more bang-for-the-buck, not to say it was bad, I just couldn't justify the money as a student... I'm still stuck with my 8520, running an unofficial OS 5. I'm ready to upgrade now and eagerly waiting.
    Last edited by sergesc; 08-07-11 at 09:44 AM.
    08-07-11 09:41 AM
    What was the point to this article? This guy was just basically talking sh*t about BlackBerry. He said himself that he hasn't even tried them out. If you don't like BlackBerry keep the opinions to yourself, please.

I totally agree with you, man.
    Seriously, OP, if you don't like RIM or Blackberry, then why are you even on Crackberry? Makes no damn sense...smh.

Go get an Android device and leave us Crackberry fans alone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 09:59 AM
    I totally agree with you, man.
    Seriously, OP, if you don't like RIM or Blackberry, then why are you even on Crackberry? Makes no damn sense...smh.

Go get an Android device and leave us Crackberry fans alone.

Many Android users were Blackberry users; and we like it here.

Sent from my ADR6300
    K Bear likes this.
    08-07-11 11:42 AM
    Many Android users were Blackberry users; and we like it here.

Sent from my ADR6300
    Many Android users are welcome here as they bring valuable experiences.

That said Android users who are here to make the enjoyment of this site by BlackBerry users less enjoyable should move on to an Android based site, as this Community still is a BlackBerry fan community
    lnichols likes this.
    08-08-11 07:09 AM
    Actually, over the last couple of cycles, BlackBerrys have been almost exact replicas of their previous models. That's been one of the main criticisms.
    I guess you haven't looked at an iPhone or Droid lately? Try identifying most of those lineups apart. Form and aesthetics have a lot to do with choice. With iPhone, you get, well, iPhorm. From the front, you'd be challenged to tell any of them apart. You want it to look different buy any one of a thousand or more different cases.

Androids do offer some more forms, but most of them look pretty much the same. Ya got your touchscreen, and over here, another touchscreen. Or, you can have a landscape slider, to be different. Or, if you're a masochist, you can go for one of the Moto faux-Bold keyboards. But there are only som many forms, and not all of them are as well executed as the BlackBerry is.

The article is obviously biased, most of us already know that the phone is a 'gap' device, but the one thing that isn't addressed is: BlackBerrys sell, and one of the worst mistakes is also being tackled-widespread distribution. How many people have been absolutely screwed by the 'exclusives' game?

We know BlackBerry's faults, we know they've been slow to adapt to the changing marketplace, but we are wickedly tired of having it rubbed in our faces. After all the dust settles, the BlackBerry still fits me better than anything else that has been lauded from the other makers.

08-08-11 08:12 AM
    I guess you haven't looked at an iPhone or Droid lately? Try identifying most of those lineups apart. Form and aesthetics have a lot to do with choice. With iPhone, you get, well, iPhorm. From the front, you'd be challenged to tell any of them apart. You want it to look different buy any one of a thousand or more different cases.
    And HTC? They all look the same to me...
    08-08-11 08:16 AM
    Many Android users are welcome here as they bring valuable experiences.

That said Android users who are here to make the enjoyment of this site by BlackBerry users less enjoyable should move on to an Android based site, as this Community still is a BlackBerry fan community
    +1000. I'm all for people providing valuable contributions here about Blackberry. However their are plenty of people here who think a valuable contribution is posting how other platforms are better, saying RIM is dying, posting reviews and analysis on RIM devices from sources who haven't even used the devices, or just there one line zingers attacking RIM (but given the fearless leader over at AC doing this on the mobile nations podcast repeatedly, I guess it is part of that "culture"). There are dedicated forums, or subsections here at Crackberry that are designed for you to cheer a non-blackberry platform, but the main intent of this site is to find out about Blackberry, cheer the platform, and address and hopefully resolve issues for the platform.
    08-08-11 09:14 AM
    I wouldn't touch a OS7 device. Some people are such hypocrites. If another company was pulling this crap with renaming the OS from 6.1 to 7 or release this "new" OS with a different one coming along shortly, you all would be talking a lot of crap. The playbook doesn't have native PIM functions but somehow that's irrelevant but "iPad doesn't have flash" is still a criticism.
    So... Android doesnt continuously release new OS versions - some of which arent compatible on previous model phones?

Just doesn't make any sense. OS7 is nothing but a stop gap and we all know it. It offers no significant benefits over OS6 that warrants the cost especially when QNX is around the corner. Only people that are buying these are diehards that buy anything RIM makes and people that don't know when QNX is coming.
    Arent all revisions of an OS a stop gap until the next version? I think you are mistakenly assigning the overall cost for a BB OS 7 device to the software when it appears to me the cost is largely attributable to the hardware.

And not sure how you can say that only fan boys will pick up a new BB when they have...

- Brand new form factors for both the 9900/30 and 9850/60
    - Liquid graphics - if they work as well as the promo suggests - unrivaled response.
    - Brand new OS
    - Updated hardware - proc speed, RAM

Your argument could be applied to iphones and android phones since no single update (whether it be software or hardware) has amounted to much of an improvement. Droid 2 is only better than the Droid by the thinnest of margins. Same with the Droid 3 and Droid 2.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-08-11 09:32 AM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    just got the Bold 9900 ... absolutely loving it!!! .. world class product!
    08-09-11 08:25 PM
    its a bad PR news article. I don't care about those, I doubt the person even used a blackberry, or even cares about security. I also sense trolls. Ugh. I'll just carry on my own way and take it as a grain of salt.

08-09-11 09:12 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD