Because I can.

Like my landlord. She has some alien accounting system where you have to pay by like 10am on the 1st of the month. I never know it's the 1st usually so I pay at about 3-5pm. Apparently this is not good enough despite the fact I have until midnight by law to pay.

So I get a nasty note and get charged $25 extra about 4 months ago. I calmly decline and point to the relevant section of the tenancy act. After this I feel I should make peace and since then have been getting the cheque to her on time.

Fast forward to now, I get a long drawn out hand written note about how I am the only one making her life difficult and it costs her money to make the extra trip blah blah blah. All this after I have been making nice lately.

So guess who is making an extra trip to the bank tomorrow? Sucks to be her.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 02:31 AM
    I'd be half tempted to knock on her door at 11:59 PM to hand her the check.
    06-02-10 06:00 AM
    I would say she's lucky to get it on the 1st whatever time it is. Having been a landlord myself and knowing that there are so many people who don't pay on the day it's due, I would be thrilled regardless of what time I got it as long as I got it on the day it's due. Sounds like a very controlling person.

06-02-10 09:48 AM
    you should probably start making signs and protesting in front of the hidden cams she has in your apartment.
    06-02-10 09:57 AM
    I would say she's lucky to get it on the 1st whatever time it is. Having been a landlord myself and knowing that there are so many people who don't pay on the day it's due, I would be thrilled regardless of what time I got it as long as I got it on the day it's due. Sounds like a very controlling person.

I can understand that. I've had a few bad landlords and some really great ones. I've never had real problems getting along with them though, especially once they find out I know the government regulations inside and out.

It just upset me is all, I will still play nice. Sending a note after I have been good for a long period is out of line and just plain silly.
    06-02-10 10:48 AM
    I saw some dude "take care" of his evil landlord on an episode of "I almost Got Away With It"...

...he almost got away with it too.
    06-02-10 10:54 AM
    The last apartment I lived in, you had to mail the rent to a PO box in Philadelphia, even though the complex was in the suburbs and the owner company had an office at the complex. God forbid the mail was slow and your check was a day late.
    06-02-10 11:11 AM
    The last apartment I lived in, you had to mail the rent to a PO box in Philadelphia, even though the complex was in the suburbs and the owner company had an office at the complex. God forbid the mail was slow and your check was a day late.
    Easy, it's based on the postage date stamped on the envelope. If it's a month late it's not your fault. I love loopholes like that.

I was a subletter once, if that's the spelling, meaning I was renting from the people who were renting the house. The owner and proper landlords thought they would be cute and try to tell me what to do and even tried to evict me.

They learned real fast they had no control or say over my tenancy, it was rather fun to watch them get angry when I just blatantly ignored them. They even tried to enter my place without 24 notice once, I bounced them out pretty quick.
    06-02-10 12:07 PM
    I'd be half tempted to knock on her door at 11:59 PM to hand her the check.
    Exact same thought was running through my head as I finished reading that.
    06-02-10 01:06 PM
    You have a BB. Set a recurring event for the 1st of the month with an alarm reminder for it. Not freakin' rocket science, if you really want to keep the lady calmed down, or maybe pay on the 31st.

06-02-10 08:41 PM
    Easy, it's based on the postage date stamped on the envelope. If it's a month late it's not your fault. I love loopholes like that.

I was a subletter once, if that's the spelling, meaning I was renting from the people who were renting the house. The owner and proper landlords thought they would be cute and try to tell me what to do and even tried to evict me.

They learned real fast they had no control or say over my tenancy, it was rather fun to watch them get angry when I just blatantly ignored them. They even tried to enter my place without 24 notice once, I bounced them out pretty quick.
    I'm not saying their complaints are right just how much of PITA they were. They did everything they could to make you appear to be late with you're rent.
    06-03-10 06:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD