First, this is NOT about people who are at 'work' and whatnot. We understand yo have dayjobs. By all means.. stack your income...
    Nor.. is this a random rant or a pet peeve. If more than one person can agree to conversation about it.. it is a "discussion". And since this is "off topic discussion".. This shouldnt be something that gets "locked, deleted or banned". [Freedom of speech flag insert here]

BUT

Its starting to blow me that whenever I add someone, and speak, be cordial.. They are too busy to respond. Starting to actually dread the whole pin thing, and get back to normal IM messenger.

Ill be honest with you. There are a couple nice folks.. Then there are a few ****heads on here. Dont come at me, asking for me to send you photos to emails, when the send file is right there. I was just approached by an individual (name withheld) who says "send me some photos of your.. yeah".

Lets get ONE thing understood. its cool to pass out the little private photos ( i lived through the sidekick era, did it often), But dont come at my sideways like that.

Other note: (and im not a moderator.. But its an issue). Dont post your pin over and over, telling people you converse and enjoy talking.. Then when people add you, your mute.

Anyway.. If you feel the way im feeling, then speak. If not, at least you read it. Ill sign off with my

Enjoy yourself.
    05-21-08 03:22 PM
    Good topic ClassaNOva I totally agree with you.

I have wondered many times why I get a request and then the person never talks. I mean I did not request them so I wait for them to introduce themselves or something.
    When I send a request - after it is accepted I always touch base with the person to say hey, tell them I am from Crackberry or where ever and see if we hit it off for some nice chats.
    I don't think its a contest to see how many BB contacts you can have, is it?
    05-21-08 03:29 PM
    Good topic ClassaNOva I totally agree with you.

I have wondered many times why I get a request and then the person never talks. I mean I did not request them so I wait for them to introduce themselves or something.
    When I send a request - after it is accepted I always touch base with the person to say hey, tell them I am from Crackberry or where ever and see if we hit it off for some nice chats.
    I don't think its a contest to see how many BB contacts you can have, is it?
    I would have to agree with you. its a popularity contest to be completely honest with you. Sure, you have newbies that come and look for friends and whatnot.. But lets be honest.. Some people are just for the attention. And its cool.. Dont be scared to want to be known. I was like that as well.

Meanwhile, dont go requesting people, and not speaking. I have a good number of people I can contact and they know me by first name. That or we can touch base and find common interest. And it wouldnt take all day to do it. But some people.. whew lord.
    05-21-08 03:37 PM
    I keep it to 4 or 5 heads. Anything more than that, and I can't devote my attention proper.

Plus, that means 4 or 5 heads throughout the day/week whatever. Not all at once. That stuff don't work.
    05-21-08 05:05 PM
    Back when I was a newb, I had my PIN broadcasted.. After a few less than friendly situations, I decided to take it down.

I'm always down for friendly chat but I do work so usually it's pretty hard for me. My BBM is mostly work people but the other friends I do keep on it, know how my schedule can get.

I always tell people I'm at work bc I hate to be rude.

Now, I prefer chatting a bit more via forums or PM before really giving my PIN out.

I keep it to a few heads as well..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-08 06:54 PM
    That was the post I was trying to make. If you know your busy, and your keeping it to a selective few.. Why have your things broadcast, right?
    05-21-08 07:05 PM
    Yeah...I have a couple PINs on my list that dont talk to me much...but whatever...I just assume they're as busy as I am...because I dont really talk to them much either, right?
    And for all it's worth, I've had my PIN on profile since the first week I was a member here...plus being pretty active in a couple of the social/off-topic forums here...but I don't ever get "weird" or "random" or "less than friendly" messages.
    I guess it's because people think I'm scary or something, ha.
    It is pretty lame if someone adds your PIN and then NEVER talks at you...then it's delete time.
    05-21-08 07:06 PM
    I have a couple of people on my list that requested me but dont say anything. I want to delete but I feel bad because as soon as I delete them they will be asking y did u delete me?
    05-23-08 07:17 AM
    I have a couple of people on my list that requested me but dont say anything. I want to delete but I feel bad because as soon as I delete them they will be asking y did u delete me?
    Happened to me this morning.
    05-23-08 12:30 PM
    I think the best way to do it is to just talk through PMs for a while. That way you can at least get a feel for the person... Works for me

05-23-08 12:43 PM
    Thats a good call. Worked for me too.
    05-23-08 12:45 PM
    I like the pm method the best. Im not ashamed of my pin or whatever. If you gonna use the thing, use it. Dont save and add me... and never speak..

Then 2 months later say "hey Greg, how you been?"

Umm.. Who may you be?
    05-23-08 01:16 PM
    Hey Greg! How you been??

Oh wait, I already know

05-23-08 01:24 PM
    yea- the whole pin thing gets a bit confusing sometimes. I don't like to delete people because then they pop right back and ask why.

I have a couple I chat with regularly and a couple I have chated with from time to time couple and then 5 or 6 that I have never talked to ...... I did not request them they requested me.??

Of course I have had a couple strange ones that I had no problem deleting.

I guess the PM method is best.
    05-23-08 01:31 PM
    ah the pin thingg um ive got like 10 people on there i really only talk to couple of them. but im always on my bb i reply super fast and usually when im workin ill say if im busy or not but usually im free.
    yes the pm method is good
    and i dont like to delete people but i should ill c
    05-23-08 06:06 PM
    IMO, the PM is the best way to decide whether or not you want them on your bbm, bothering every friggin second. (I've had those) That is why I took it off.

I only have 11 now. Deleting 5 tonight.

Please don't bug me for a reason.

you know y.
    05-23-08 07:54 PM
    Does BBM send a notification you have deleted someone?
    05-23-08 09:46 PM
    I have wondered the same thing, how do you know if you have been deleted?
    05-23-08 09:48 PM
    If you get deleted, the person who deleted you will be removed from your BBM contact list as well.
    No other notification.
    05-23-08 09:51 PM
    So there's no pop-up? Just suddenly the person vanishes?

Edit: Didn't see that Chaz wrote "No other notification." Never mind my query.
    Last edited by cjharley; 05-23-08 at 09:55 PM.
    05-23-08 09:52 PM
    I'll let you all know, because I have a good hunch Cinful is gonna delete my assss shortly lol.
    05-23-08 09:55 PM
    I'm glad somebody started this topic. I don't understand why people have such a problem with people sending them messages. it doesn't bother me at all, even if I don't know how they got my pin. It's not like it's a text message. That's why I got unlimited data!lol Usually when somebody sends me a message I try to say something funny or just talk about anything that pops in my head. If the person is bored thats usually all they want anyway. Don't be scared because like I say, everybody you know and love was a stranger to you before you got to know and love 'em!
    05-23-08 10:29 PM
    I'm glad somebody started this topic. I don't understand why people have such a problem with people sending them messages. it doesn't bother me at all, even if I don't know how they got my pin. It's not like it's a text message. That's why I got unlimited data!lol Usually when somebody sends me a message I try to say something funny or just talk about anything that pops in my head. If the person is bored thats usually all they want anyway. Don't be scared because like I say, everybody you know and love was a stranger to you before you got to know and love 'em!
    Very Inspirational. You should write a book. LOL
    05-24-08 12:54 PM
    lol, I like your style. You seem really cool. I'm going to add you to my contact list if it's ok?

when it comes to me and the pin exchanging thing, I'm ok with the concept, but I quickly learned that it's best to not publish it (especially for the ladies). When I first got my bb 3 weeks ago, I was like a kid with a new toy. I wanted to explore everything about my phone lol. I published my pin on one or two of the pin exchange threads here. Right from the start, I began getting messeges with the typical 'a/s/l' inquiries. I was thinking.....wow....If they'd have read my sig, they'd have known my age, location, sex cuz I have a link to my myspace page. The pics are private but it still shows the basics up front.

It started to feel a bit like a pick up bar after the 3rd 'a/s/l' request.

Needless to say, I got a bit smarter and removed the pin from my profile as well as from those threads.

I did however have a cool 10 minute chat from this guy in Australia lol...at least I took his word for it. He told me that he was a newbie too and we practiced sending pin messeges back and forth. Cool guy.

I guess the other part of my pin exchange experience was, in all honesty, to make a few more pals so that I'd feel like I'd gotten my money's worth. Seriously, this is the most expensive phone I've owned and I wanted to get good use out of it. .....NOW, after having it for a few weeks, I've realized that my circle of a few close friends is really all that I need. We like to I-M each other via Yahoo messenger or Facebook most of the time. (unlimited data rocks!). I found it to be a bit awkward getting to know complete strangers, but like Mrmoe110 said....everyone was a stranger once. Communication has to start somewhere...........which leads me to...

The use of the pm. I agree..it's a better idea. It lets you see how that person (male of female) will approach you. Ok, on that note, I have to say that I just got a pm from someone asking me for my 'a/s/l'........wtf? investigate the sig first lolol

Finally.....I guess it helps to have a pretty good grasp of light topics to talk about. I think some people don't know how to really start communicating from scratch. It's tricky sometimes. I think I start with something like 'hi, I'm blah blah from CB stopping by to say hi!' ....it's not a dating tool for me, but more of a 'people tool'. I look for quality friends, not just empty faces to add to a list. It all depends on the motives of people. That determines how I treat them.
    Last edited by Aquamarine73; 05-24-08 at 11:26 PM.
    05-24-08 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD