It would be interesting to hear opinions on this...
    11-02-08 11:38 AM
    You can disturb people in other ways when you know they're unavailable to answer a phone.. such as being at work or in meetings or at the movies.
    11-02-08 12:31 PM
    Although it makes it less personal. Geesh, You almost don't have to talk in person anymore!

It is convenient when you just want to send a quick message and not get into a long conversation with someone.

I also agree that it is a great feature when you know the person is in meeting, school, work etc. to be able to get a message to them without them having to call voicemail or check e-mail if they don't have that on thier phone.
    11-02-08 12:37 PM
    Yea I agree with the above posters, its great when you dont want to get into a long drawn out conversation, knowing that you can get them quickly even if they are on phone call
    11-02-08 12:41 PM
    Texting allows you to type things that you would not usually say. That's what I was told. I type and say what I want. lol
    11-02-08 12:48 PM
    Good way to chat during a boring seminar!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 01:01 PM
    I agree it is a way of saying something you might be afraid to say to someone and then all you have to do is await their responce. Or a better way to give bad news. Like me when I have to tell my soldiers they have weekend duty i just text them and don't have the cryin!! Lol or I text when it is someone I hate to talk to and just want to say what i got to say and nothing from them. LOL But best of all it is great for when your in a meeting or befrief and can't talk. Lol
    11-02-08 01:22 PM
    Txting works great If your somewhere where you can't talk or you don't want someone to hear what your about to talk about

11-02-08 01:28 PM
    Great way to pass the time during a long boring drive.
    11-02-08 01:38 PM
    Same here I type and text what I want... granted some people get pissed.

Texting allows you to type things that you would not usually say. That's what I was told. I type and say what I want. lol
    11-02-08 03:11 PM
    I think what everybody here has said sums it up very well. I find myself doing it for all these reasons.

11-02-08 03:33 PM
    It would be interesting to hear opinions on this...
    LOL, I wish I knew......maybe it's the idea of being able to talk to someone whenever you want without 'getting in trouble'....I mean I work next to women who are texting all during their shift.....and the only reason it 'bothers' me is pure and simple jealousy.

My bb messes with our computer system when an email comes in, so everyone knows it's still on.....I'd LOVE to be able to go online, maybe check crackberry between calls.....lol
    11-02-08 05:26 PM
    Texting. Good excersize for the thumbs
    11-02-08 05:42 PM
    I'm not sure that "addicting" is the correct term here. I prefer texting because then I don't have to talk to them personally. I hate talking on the phone, have since I was a little kid. Plus, I can have a conversation no matter what I'm doing, sitting on the terlot going #2, watching a movie, anything.

It's totally my preference, don't call me, just text.
    11-02-08 05:45 PM
    I'm not sure that "addicting" is the correct term here. I prefer texting because then I don't have to talk to them personally. I hate talking on the phone, have since I was a little kid. Plus, I can have a conversation no matter what I'm doing, sitting on the terlot going #2, watching a movie, anything.

It's totally my preference, don't call me, just text.
    TMI.....Thanks for the visual
    11-02-08 06:06 PM
    All the above reasons, plus If you have a ***** boss like mine you can have an entire convesation. I've gone days and not spoke a single word on the phone, but had 3 to 4 conversations via text.
    11-02-08 06:19 PM
    I love text. I text more than I call.

11-02-08 07:30 PM
    I like to text because it's easy, and fast. Other than that I have no clue, it's highly addictive though, especially with a BB.
    11-03-08 01:23 AM
    SMS Addiction and Texting Addiction - World of Psychology

Ok, so now they have clinical studies related to texting. Great. Wonder when the first Texters Anonymous meeting will take place...

I personally think it really depends on the person. Very few people actually WANT to talk on the phone in the end. Either you have personalities which do not wish to have a verbal conversation regardless the recipient to people who talk on the phone daily and are, frankly, sick and tired of it. Got a question to ask your friend, text 'em!

Realistically let us be real. There is no simpler mode for conversation than talking. Heck the phones come with voice dial, so just say the name and then start talking. So "ease of use" is not a sole primary reason for its use over an actual call.

As for fast, now that I tend to agree on. Depending on who you call there is no telling where that conversation might go. Call to ask when they are coming over and suddenly you are listening to how rude the cashier at Wal-Mart was to them.

In the end it is definitely a hybrid spawn of Internet chatting. You have a certain level of privacy while texting away. You can text in the bathroom and flush without ridicule. I mean here we have all the goodies the Internet texting syndrome promised us with MOBILITY! Yeah! :P
    11-03-08 03:18 AM
    It's a faster way to communicate. You don't have to call someone and have a long conversation when you only had to tell them one short thing. It's kind of more private if you are around people and need to tell someone something but don't want to call them because you don't want everyone else to hear, but its not as private when others can read it...its bugs me when people ask to look at my phone and go straight to my message...so I keep my phone locked and just don't let people see it...but you can also communicate when you normally wouldn't be able to. Its pretty great. Ahh, and you can also hold multiple conversations at once.

11-03-08 08:27 PM
    I agree, lol. Its also easier to ask difficult questions that you really aren't ready/don't want to hear the answer to.

Statistics say teenagers ask each other out more and more these days by IM/texting. lol. I think this is why, haha.
    11-06-08 01:21 AM
    for me, texting is way addictive because I don't particularly enjoy chit-chatting on the phone with people... I prefer to let my fingers do the talking, saves me from having to come up with things to talk about in real-time.

well, that and I'm on GoPhone prepaid and it costs 25 cents a min to call/receive calls, and I really don't call that much anyways prepaid sms plans FTW!.
    11-06-08 01:54 AM
    I like txting b/c it in my time. When I'm ready to respond or ignore. I'm more honest and to the point.
    11-07-08 03:48 PM
    I text more then talk now days I think thats sad
    11-07-08 04:00 PM
    pretty much what everyone else has said...

with emphasis on avoiding having a long drawn out convo just to get one simple answer to something. there's no "hey, how are you, how you been blah blah blah" bullsh!t involved, straight to the point, answer my question, kthanks now leave me alone.

lol...sorry, that was the antisocial version of why i prefer to text. but really, it comes in handy when you're not actually able to verbally talk....
    11-07-08 04:09 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD