I bought Pixar's movie Wall E Saturday and finally got to watch it- on Blu Ray to boot -i must admit it was a really cute movie, had alot of funny parts in it, and had some adultish humor in it.

but

1)
    When i was watching it and they were talking about Buy n Large, it seemed that they were BLASTING on Wal Mart/Sam's Club. Seem like EVERYthing in the movie had a BnL logo on it and everything was HUGE.

2)
    (no i am no tree hugger) but it seemed like there were blasting on or pointing out the huge trash problem that we has human beings face. and how we "run from" or try to cover up our problems instead of fixing them.

3)
    it pointed out, and i what i thought was funny, how we are becoming increasingly lazier and lazier- when the people got on the space ship they were thin and nice looking and they only used the hover chairs for the elderly that couldn't walk around. and by the end of the 700yrs EVERYONE was setting around talking on their intercom sipping on their meal shakes. WAY out of shape- and the fact that a couple of the charters in the movie said "i didn't know we had a pool" and the captain acting shocked when they said take a jog around the track a showed a huge fact that alot of people have a problem with knowing to work out on the ship - kinda reminds me of today's day and time.

it's a good movie just got some really odd underlining messages to it.
    06-22-09 12:42 PM
    I believe that was the point.
    Disney has always had underlying messages. Even in the old classics, if you watch them now you will see the big picture.
    06-22-09 01:35 PM
    Disney has always had underlying messages. Even in the old classics, if you watch them now you will see the big picture.

I know they have some underlining messages ( Finding Nemo - i wont even watch that one anymore)...

but

they just typically are that out in the open about it.
    Last edited by mjneid; 06-22-09 at 02:22 PM.
    06-22-09 02:19 PM
    I know they have some underlining messages ( Finding Nemo - i wont even watch that one anymore)...

but

they just typically are that out in the open about it.

yeah, I give them props for laying it out on the line like that.
    while watching it didn't you think to yourself, "hey this is totally how it could happen"

They didn't know they had a pool....lol
    06-22-09 02:42 PM
    yeah, I give them props for laying it out on the line like that.
    while watching it didn't you think to yourself, "hey this is totally how it could happen"

They didn't know they had a pool....lol
    I wasn't thinking this could happen, i was thinking this has happened. I mean in all seriousness we live in the day and time of "now" and "me" and Wall E just threw that out there as well. The bigger people "drinking our meals" on the fly- they were more interested in playing virtual golf instead of the real thing, they "laid out" by the pool instead of swimming in it., it just showed society is lazy. We'd rather set around all day eating fast food playing Tiger Woods 09 instead of grabbing our clubs and playing the real deal..... ya follow me?
    06-22-09 03:05 PM
    What was in Finding Nemo?

(it's been a while)
    06-22-09 03:27 PM

(it's been a while)
    it's a underlining message in finding nemo - shot ya PM - I'm on the warning list - have to behave .
    06-22-09 03:33 PM
    I wasn't thinking this could happen, i was thinking this has happened. I mean in all seriousness we live in the day and time of "now" and "me" and Wall E just threw that out there as well. The bigger people "drinking our meals" on the fly- they were more interested in playing virtual golf instead of the real thing, they "laid out" by the pool instead of swimming in it., it just showed society is lazy. We'd rather set around all day eating fast food playing Tiger Woods 09 instead of grabbing our clubs and playing the real deal..... ya follow me?
    I'm right there with ya on this one.
    i've been saying this for a while now.

"NO I DON'T WANT TO SUPERSIZE, WHAT AM I EVEN DOING HERE...."
    06-22-09 03:40 PM
    I'm right there with ya on this one.
    i've been saying this for a while now.

"NO I DON'T WANT TO SUPERSIZE, WHAT AM I EVEN DOING HERE...."

Yea i feel ya there. we live in a McDonalds/Wal-Mart world.

A few years back my doctor told me that i couldn't drink any type of soft drink that had caffeine in it- my mind wouldn't go to sleep at night. So i decided i'd make it noon, everything went good- no major problems, so i made it one a day before noon, and i've lost like 10lbs just by knocking off caffeine'd soft drinks down to one a day....

Don't get me wrong i'm a fairly big guy but i do most of the cooking at home, and i use Royal Prestige cook wear and use no oils/greases/butters when i am cooking, and most of the time it's either grilled so the grease and oils can drip through and get off my food or i make sure to drain all of the grease/oil out of the pots/pans before serving it.
    06-22-09 04:05 PM
    Have you seen Bee Movie?

They weren't subtle at all with the message in that one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 05:15 PM
    Have you seen Bee Movie?

They weren't subtle at all with the message in that one.

Haven't seen it, but now I'm interested. Tell me more ...
    06-22-09 06:05 PM

(it's been a while)
    I'm with Jef on this one. What underlying message was there? I watched this movie dozens of times and never noticed.

06-22-09 06:34 PM
    I'm with Jef on this one. What underlying message was there? I watched this movie dozens of times and never noticed.

As stated i am on the warning list with Crackberry so i really can't put what i want to put but i found this report on a website and it really hits around the main idea without saying it.

Source
    Finding Nemo (2003)
    Nemo, a clownfish, is embarrassed by his overprotective father, Marlin. He is captured and taken to Sydney.
    The message: �The theme of letting go of one�s protective anxieties accepts the dangerous aspect of nature, but we are encouraged to tolerate freedom with all the precariousness that entails.�
    06-23-09 08:11 AM
    anybody ever see the video where it shows all the disney subliminal messages...there is one with a huge **** from some movie, lion king has "sex" written in stars, and in some other movie there is a topless chick in the background
    06-23-09 12:32 PM
    All this over WALL-E?

Really?
    06-23-09 12:56 PM
    All this over WALL-E?

Really?
    Yes because it really bothers me that parents feed these movies to kids to watch, and it's all underlining messages. Kids watch over and over and over and it gets printed into their memory.... And with my wife being prego- it bothers me that i don't want to feed my kids that junk.
    06-23-09 01:46 PM
    Yes because it really bothers me that parents feed these movies to kids to watch, and it's all underlining messages. Kids watch over and over and over and it gets printed into their memory.... And with my wife being prego- it bothers me that i don't want to feed my kids that junk.
    Yeah, I hear ya there. I don't let my kids watch very much TV or play video games all day. They should be doing something more stimulating to their brains. If its sunny outside, they are outside playing...period! If it's rainy and cold, we usually play board games or something along that line. Too many kids nowadays are mentally soft from too much TV and other forms of "auto pilot stimulation".
    06-23-09 02:05 PM
    In the end Wall-E is really cute and that's all that matters ;D
    06-23-09 02:17 PM
    Bee Move: This post contains spoilers, and I do not condone or agree with all of the following beliefs.

I am not trying to start a debate with this post, I am simply quoting outside sources and their opinions, if it is against forum rules, I apologize.

Haven't seen it, but now I'm interested. Tell me more ...

I probably should have explained more in that intial post.

It's not really a bad message that Bee Movie is sending out, unless you look at it from a religious point of view, where there is the whole Evolution vs. Creation theories:

Source
    The most subtle reference is to Evolution. We are told repeatedly that bees have been around for 27 million years (which is refuted by Creation Scientists). There is no specific mention of Evolution, but the assumption is there. More overt is the ecological/mother nature mindset in which the human race is seen as a parasite. Throughout the trial, man is not only depicted as thieves and parasites, but the Creationist view of nature seems to be mocked. The lawyers for “Honeyburton” and “Honron” (which are slaps at Haliburton and Enron) are villains who speak of the “Creation God made,” but are shown as sort of leaches. The lawyer finally comments that the Bees’ victory is an “unholy perversion of the balance of nature.” Finally, the Bee protest becoming “honey slaves to the white man!” Now, it is to be admitted that the lawyer’s prophecy comes true for the Bee learns that nature was in balance before he filed the lawsuit, thus negating much of the very premise laid earlier in the film, but it does not change the fact that Creationists are not fairly portrayed. Still, the imagery is one that will easily pass over most people without a thought.
    And then there is the innocent message that Seinfeld was trying to get across:

Source
    “The message is about the importance of doing your
    job, even if it seems to be like a small job… it should be done well,”
    he said. “And when it is done well, it makes a big difference in the
    world.”
    There also several other messages laid out throughout the entire film, one of which is to have respect for all forms of life. Some believe that it symbolizes racial oppression, others believe it has some underlying Vegan messages to it.

What you take from the movie all depends on what your personal beliefs are.
    06-23-09 02:48 PM
    Bee Move: This post contains spoilers, and I do not condone or agree with all of the following beliefs.

I am not trying to start a debate with this post, I am simply quoting outside sources and their opinions, if it is against forum rules, I apologize.
    Wow, that is quite a bit to take out of a kid's movie! Thanks! I may have to watch it now.
    06-23-09 03:13 PM
    In the end Wall-E is really cute and that's all that matters ;D
    Sounds like someone has fallen into the Disney trap. your, It is a VERY cute movie and i laughed all the way through but it a crying shame that the movies are making fun the majority of the people that are watching them, and they don't even catch it.
    06-23-09 04:22 PM
    Wall-e still has a positive message, it ends with everyone changing their ways and getting back to "normal"

You shouldn't take too much from a movie, I understand it plays a major role in the film but that's because practically everyone can relate. I see people like that every day and its easy to become desensitized so I think the movies play an important role in social education, albeit a fairly small one.

But ultimately, they're for entertainment and I can understand some peoples frustration.

06-25-09 04:49 PM
    I, For one, LOVE Wall-E. I saw it opening weekend thinking I was just going to another "cute" Pixar movie (because nothing they've done has been disappointing...I'm even excited for Toy Story 3, because Toy Story was Pixar's baby, their first full-length film (and I do believe the first ever full-length entirely computer-animated movie), and they could never do wrong by it. Even Toy Story 2 was worthy of repeat watchings). And the DVD was given to me for Christmas.
    Anyway, the movie was spectacular. They had a sweet premise, with powerful messages, YET it wasn't absolutely shoved in your face. Little kids aren't REALLY going to start recycling or badgering their parents to do so just because they saw Wall-E. Nor will they change their life's direction because of it.
    Yes, it had messages. That was the point. But the "point" was for adults, and the cute, sweet, funny characters were for the kids to watch, enjoy, love, and then move on.
    It's just one of many, many, many warning message movies. There have been warning stories since humans started telling stories. This is nothing new. You can either learn from them, scoff at them, or ignore them. Either way, the stories are usually still enjoyable.

Bee Movie was Dreamworks, by the way, not affiliated at all with Disney or Pixar. The movie was, yes, cute, but a little cheesy. They *shoved* the message in your face.
    However, only cynics would say they're saying humans are parasites (this isn't the Matrix) and thieves. The message that everyone, even kids, would get is: there is a balance. I am PETRIFIED of bees and all buzzy-yellow-and-black things, after watching my brother get attacked by them on my 7th birthday. However, as much as I HATE bees, I respect them. I won't kill them. I won't spray them. If one's inside a house, I'll open doors and windows to let it out, and/or have someone catch and release it.
    I teach children, and always teach them to respect nature. I'm not vegan/veggie, nor am I earthy-crunchy, but I'm respectful. Enjoy a flower's beauty outside instead of picking them. Don't pull leaves or brances off trees: they belong to the living tree until they drop them off themselves. Don't pull up grass: it's nice enough to cushion your fall when you're playing, so be nice and only take the pieces that are lying on the ground, or after the lawn's been cut. Bugs and slugs shouldn't be squished: let's catch one, observe it, and let it go.

Anyway....I'm rambling.
    But if you have kids or work with them, beloved movies such as these are excellent teaching tools, and tools for getting them to do what you want. I'm thankful for them that way.
    I was even able to use Spongebob as a moral lesson recently. The 7-year-old understood it better that way than by being nagged at

06-26-09 12:25 PM
    Excellent post sodakitty, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said there.

06-26-09 12:32 PM
    Wall-e still has a positive message, it ends with everyone changing their ways and getting back to "normal"

You shouldn't take too much from a movie, I understand it plays a major role in the film but that's because practically everyone can relate. I see people like that every day and its easy to become desensitized so I think the movies play an important role in social education, albeit a fairly small one.

But ultimately, they're for entertainment and I can understand some peoples frustration.

Ever read a play from shakespeare? Even in the days of old, people wrote plays to point out a flaw in society or in a person, just for example watch the classic Midsummer Night's Dream. Keep in mind the era that the play is taking place in, and tell me that it's not blasting, poking fun, and/or exploiting a flaw in the current society. Pixar and Disney, along with Dream Works had done a WONDERFUL job of laying under lining messages in their movies. I understand that the characters are cute and lovable- like i said i enjoyed wall e but that is their tactic for getting adults to watch them, you make the figures in the movie likable and child friendly- the kids LOVE them, and the parents are forced to watch them.

If you get a chance read this book : Amazon.com: Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human: Harold Bloom: Books

its really long but a GOOD book..... and points alot of this type stuff out.
    Last edited by mjneid; 06-26-09 at 02:01 PM.
    06-26-09 01:53 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD