I was just wanting to get some opinions on Vista security. I'm a firm beleiver that one should have a good AV and Spyware protection, but have heard that some features of Vista make it harder for them to work properly.
    03-25-07 07:08 PM
    To be honest Vista comes ready to go, out the box, i.e. nothing else is needed. I believe it even has a 'lite' anti-virus program. It just takes time to get use to the new security setup, and multiple layers of security...

But, on a side note, I suggest you wait for the Service Pack 1 (SP1) - not sure when it will get here, but...
    03-25-07 07:12 PM
    I have been running Vista since it was released. I have had very few problems with it. A big problem when I installed it was ZoneAlarm. It appeared upon installation that Zonealarm could be uninstalled if you ran into compatibility issues (Per installation advisor). It was not on the "must" uninstall list. Truly, it was absurd. Once Vista was installed, Zonealarm COULD NOT be uninstalled and was in serious conflict. It was quite a problem to get rid of. It took registry manipulation and other steps to get rid of the traces of Zonealarm.

So anyway then I thought I would try Windows Live OneCare on a free 90 day trial. I have to say that there has been a conflict with the firewall. It is widely documented that Windows Firewall and Windows Live OnceCare Firewall conlfict with each other. I do have a router that has a built-in firewall however, I still like to run Windows firewall.

As far as the virus control - it seems to be doing the job. I have read that it wasn't rated one of the top protection applications though and left systems vulnerable to some threats.

These are the Vista compatible AV applications available now.

Windows Vista Antivirus

Hope this helps...
    03-25-07 07:26 PM
    I've been running vista for about a month and am still using my standard Norton internet security and Spysweeper. I had a couple of bugs at first too but the only one that is still bothersome is HP has yet to come up with a driver for vista yet. I just wanted to get some opinions of others.
    03-25-07 07:47 PM
    No problem. I would have thought that Spysweeper would conflict with Vista. Good news your system is doing ok
    03-26-07 01:33 AM
    the new version window seems have a lot security problem as the newspaper mentioned
    03-29-07 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD