Have you ever had anyone in your life whether it was a family member, friends, wife, husband etc ever tell you, you are spending too much time on the BlackBerry and they've given you an ultimatium or you've had to meet them half way...........if so, how did you handle it?

Late last night I experienced that situation and reluctantly I had to make a concession and when I'm in the company of family or friends and it's not business hours that I would not jump for the red blinking light and immediately answer it. More importantly the fiance gave me an ultimatium and I didn't want to lose him over my BlackBerry. I figure 10 hours at work every day I have to answer email and address everyone but the BlackBerry was starting to take over my life and I was losing my nonBlackBerry friends that I've known my whole life. They said "is the BlackBerry more important than the people who love you?" My feeling is if a person has never experienced how incredible a BlackBerry can be for life, work, personal stuff etc., they will never understand the love we have for our beloved device. You must own one to fully understand the depth of what it can do and then and only then will they realize why we become addicted to it.

Gia
    Last edited by Giavanna; 07-29-07 at 10:20 AM.
    07-29-07 09:37 AM
    My blackberry is like my dog, will love me no matter what and doesn't give me ultimatums. Now after saying that. I have been told by my wife and kids that I spend too much time on mine but over the last few months, they don't say anything because they know because of my illness, I'm not on the computer as much as I used to be and am unable to get some of my daily work done. My friends know better then to say something to me about it.
    07-29-07 09:41 AM
    You should get them a BlackBerry and then they will feel the pain that is CrackBerry withdrawals. But if that doesn't work I don't know what to say. I mean the Berry is a zen for us to relax and get things done. It brings us happiness. The fact that they want to take it away from you means
    a) they are ignorant to how addictive (yet good addiction) the Berry is
    b) jealous of the Berry getting more attention than them
    c) are nazis

My guess is a combination of a&b. I would explain to them what the Berry does to you and how it helps you. If they persist. Try laying off the Berry. Wait a few months. See how you feel (I would warn the people around you that your coming off of CrackBerry). And if you want slowly come back to the good stuff. Hopefully it will slide past them and they won't even notice. And you'll be back in CrackBerryland. Manipulation is an art form to which I have perfected. (Perks of growing up with lawyers in the family lol)

Good luck with your decision Gia

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-07 09:52 AM
    Abhorredlife,

The guy I'm engaged to is a lawyer so I decided for a short while to meet him half way and when I'm in his company, I will try not to answer my BB right away. Try is the word here. lol But if he gets a call or has to run off or I have to use the ladies room, then my BB is going to be answered!! Like an addict, I will find ways to sneak off and check it. I have an enormous walk in closet so even if he's in the other room, I'll just say I'm looking for a pair of shoes or an outfit and crawl under everything and look at my BB. He'll never know and I will be happy.

With family or friends, I will just have to make more trips to the ladies room and check my messages there and then when Monday rolls around I have 10 hours a day for business that I am free to answer all my BB messages.

I guess where there is a will there is a way. Right? lol

Gia
    07-29-07 10:02 AM
    Hahaha you should fake an illness like a small bladder and then get your fix in the bathroom. Just make sure you have your heroin- I mean BlackBerry on mute because if they hear you beepin away in there they'll bust you. I'm a ex drug addict (and I say ex insted of recovering because I woke up one day and decided to quit and I did) I know ALL about hiding your addiction so if you need tips let me know! Lol! Always glad to help those in need. My boyfriend always gets mad because I'm Masturberrying when he's asleep and the light bothered him. So I hide under the covers. Try that. Just remind them that they come first. But you need your BlackBerry. Like others need a cup of coffee... 10 times every hour. LOL

07-29-07 10:47 AM
    My BF has to leave her BB on complete silent one evening a week when she and her honey go out on date night. The agreement is that she will check it once every hour while they are gone, but only to make sure the kids are ok.

I haven't been given the ultimatium yet, but I have gotten the evil eye more then once!

Does anyone remember the McDonald's commercial about the mom trying to wean a lovie/blankie away from her little boy and then he says something when she reaches for the BB ringing madly on the table between them?
    07-29-07 05:23 PM
    The fact that they want to take it away from you means
    c) are nazis
    LOL, that is hilarious.
    07-29-07 08:39 PM
    My wife wanted a Blackberry as soon as I showed her the pre-release Curve ad I was drooling over. Now we both have them. Problem solved, thus far.

07-29-07 08:51 PM
    I think a lot of it is about "balance". Yes, I love Hobson, my Treo before him, as well as the previous cell phones when they were new. I was the same way when I first found out 12 years ago that a new world existed out there, called "the internet". At first, you're fascinated, and you want to spend every moment with this "new thing" - to the exclusion of all else. But, as time goes by, you have to strike that balance between the technology you love to use and learn more about, and the truly important things in life (family, friends).

That said - abhorredlife - my suggestion would be to just drink LOTS more water to increase those bathroom trips without making something up.... water is soooo good for you, and no lies necessary to feed your CB addiction, either!

MiniBB - I think your BF has the right idea.... make a "technology free" time, and spend it with people you love - my BF does the same thing when he goes fishin.... of course, you really don't want to bring electronic devices around where there's a chance they could fall in the water and get ruined!
    07-31-07 05:07 AM
    I love water I drink so much I might as well own Fiji stock!!!! I don't need to hide nor am I ashamed of my CrackBerry addiction. So my friends and family know I'm hooked. That being said I do believe there should be tech free time. (Like during sex, showers, being chewed out by your boss for masturberrying). LOL. But I do put down the pipe-BERRY whenever my boyfriend or family want some time with me. But if they are going to blab my ear off about how bad my brother in law blah blah blah blah. I'm gonna be on my CrackBerry when I'm supposed to listen to their nonsense. But weddings and other important events I'm gonna put my baby on silent. Just to let them know I'm still me. I think that's what Gia's family/ friends want. Just to see that she is still herself. And that they are still important to her. Important enough to put down the BlackBerry which they know she holds so dear. So Gia, just reassure them that you are still Gia the friend/ family member/ fiance and not Gia the crack(berry) head.

07-31-07 06:24 AM
    I hear ya on the water thing... I try to drink at least 100 oz per day. Everyone at my work knows, if I'm not at my desk, to stand by the bathroom door... in a little while, I'll either be going in, or coming out!!!
    07-31-07 07:38 AM
    Yea the way I solved it was to get the wife a pearl. I had an 8700g and she was nuts over it. Really I had bought her a treo, SKII and a few other phones. Now that she has a bb she understands. I would say the only thing now is I have a curve and she wants one bad. So far I've had the 8700,8100 and now the 8300. I do have a friend who is now my boss. He also has an bb but gets annoyed at how much I use it when we hang out

07-31-07 08:11 AM
    My blackberry is like my dog, will love me no matter what and doesn't give me ultimatums. Now after saying that. I have been told by my wife and kids that I spend too much time on mine but over the last few months, they don't say anything because they know because of my illness, I'm not on the computer as much as I used to be and am unable to get some of my daily work done. My friends know better then to say something to me about it.
    LOL, ah the joys of single life! I can "masturberry" (I love that word)as much as I like, with none to tell me nay.
    07-31-07 08:51 AM
    I think a lot of it is about "balance". Yes, I love Hobson, my Treo before him, as well as the previous cell phones when they were new. I was the same way when I first found out 12 years ago that a new world existed out there, called "the internet". At first, you're fascinated, and you want to spend every moment with this "new thing" - to the exclusion of all else. But, as time goes by, you have to strike that balance between the technology you love to use and learn more about, and the truly important things in life (family, friends).

That said - abhorredlife - my suggestion would be to just drink LOTS more water to increase those bathroom trips without making something up.... water is soooo good for you, and no lies necessary to feed your CB addiction, either!

MiniBB - I think your BF has the right idea.... make a "technology free" time, and spend it with people you love - my BF does the same thing when he goes fishin.... of course, you really don't want to bring electronic devices around where there's a chance they could fall in the water and get ruined!
    OK, I have to ask--from whence cometh the name "hobson"
    07-31-07 08:55 AM
    Thanks everyone for your input but Abhorredlife, I liked your input and have tried it and so far there is peace among all my loved ones. Thank you dear for letting me have the best of both worlds and still enjoy my beloved BB.

Gia
    07-31-07 09:16 AM
    OK, I have to ask--from whence cometh the name "hobson"
    Hobson, Arthur's butler in the movie of the same name, played superbly by Sir John Gielgud......

Arthur: Hobson, would you like to draw my bath?
    Hobson: It's what I live for.... would you like me to wash your **** for you, you little ****?

Somehow, not quite the same without Sir John's inflections.... may he Rest In Peace....
    07-31-07 01:16 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input but Abhorredlife, I liked your input and have tried it and so far there is peace among all my loved ones. Thank you dear for letting me have the best of both worlds and still enjoy my beloved BB.

Gia
    Gia - glad to hear that there is peace in the house again.....

DLGus... I'm with you... single here, and no one to bother me. My dog ignores me anyway, so he doesn't care when or if I'm masturberrying (this should be the word of the year for 2007!!!!)
    07-31-07 01:22 PM
    haha, Masturberrying..

I've gotten not an ultimateum, but my girlfriend constantly claims I care more about my phone then I do her..which is not true...its an addiction! But shhhhhhh...I bought her a pearl for christmas already, and I'm pretty sure i can't wait til december to give it to her so she'll prolly get it next month some time.
    08-02-07 01:37 AM
    lol I have the perfect excuse being a data support rep for wireless carrier, ''I'm helping a customer with their BB" fomcl
    08-02-07 01:40 AM
    Dubya: Yes Masturberry should be word of the year. Its so vulgar yet not. I love it.

Gia: you are most welcome! I'm glad there is peace with the loved ones! May I ask what happened?

Darth_doug: your girlfriend will be ecstatic. However it might be an hour or two till she is one of us lol. Forget christmas! Do it for... I don't know create a holiday. CrackBerry day!

Oooo new holiday. CrackBerry day where you convert people to CrackBerryism like jehova's witnesses. Hahahaha I could see a bunch of CrackBerry heads going door to door trying to convert people to CrackBerry but they are all too busy masturberrying. :HAHAHA I love it. And I'm going to do it! Where is my CrackBerry.com paraphinelia(sp)? Who's gonna join me??

08-02-07 02:16 AM
    i wish I could afford some crackberry paraphenalia...I would love to sport a CB bumper sticker, or a shirt..or hat...or everything!!!
    08-02-07 02:30 AM
    abhorredlife,

To answer your question, it's too risque for this forum. Let's just say I'm in pure ecstasy........I have my BB & him worked out to my complete satisfaction.

Gia
    Last edited by Giavanna; 08-05-07 at 09:19 AM.
    08-05-07 09:06 AM
    abhorredlife,

To answer your question, it's too risque for this forum. Let's just say I'm in pure ecstasy........I have my BB & him worked out to my complete satisfaction.

Gia
    now, THERE is a gal that knows how to multi-task at the proper times!!!
    08-05-07 05:03 PM
    U go Gia, I'm glad you worked everything out. I whip out my bb at work, church, driving, n tha middle of a conversation. It doesn't matter. Ima married ft working mother of 4 & they still don't undastand y I spend so many hours starin n2 this little box. I definitely agree that masturberrying should be THE term of '07 and I'm on board w/converting everyone I know to CrackBerryism. I just joined, so I mite be a little late on the "new CB slang" :0)

08-05-07 08:03 PM
    U go Gia, I'm glad you worked everything out. I whip out my bb at work, church, driving, n tha middle of a conversation. It doesn't matter. Ima married ft working mother of 4 & they still don't undastand y I spend so many hours starin n2 this little box. I definitely agree that masturberrying should be THE term of '07 and I'm on board w/converting everyone I know to CrackBerryism. I just joined, so I mite be a little late on the "new CB slang" :0)

08-05-07 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD