To Our Soldiers and Families

Today, President Bush announced his decision to return to twelve-month deployments in the CENTCOM theater for active Army units. The President�s decision reflects the improved security situation in Iraq � one made possible by your unwavering commitment and willingness to sacrifice � as well as the recognition of the impact of extended deployments on Army Families and our readiness. Today�s policy change will help reduce that strain as we continue to grow the Army and restore balance.

The Army will reduce �Boots On the Ground� time to no more than twelve months for all active component Soldiers deploying to the CENTCOM area of operations after 1 August 2008. Soldiers deploying prior to 1 August will complete their scheduled deployments.

The return to twelve-month deployments does not change the Army�s dwell time policy. This policy is intended to give units time to properly reset and allow Soldiers, Families, and friends to reconnect.

You have chosen a most noble profession. With your Families standing with you in support, you have borne the increased stress and burden of this war for our Army and our Nation. A grateful Army and Nation thank you.

To most of yall this means nothing but to a few of us who spend more time in the sand then we do at home. Myself snice 2001 I have spent 6 of the past 8 on deployments.
    Last edited by von; 04-11-08 at 10:50 AM.
    04-11-08 10:45 AM
    My heart and prayers go out to all of you!!!
    04-11-08 05:15 PM
    As a father of two sons and one son-in-law in the Army National Guard this is good news to me. Although it looks like our youngest son may be heading to Kosovo at the end of the year

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-08 05:41 PM

My son is on his 2nd deployment , first Iraq, now Afghanistan....he says
    they are still on the 15 month track,,

My prayers to all that serve and their families.....
    04-11-08 10:40 PM
    I caught that newsconf as well over here....not really impressed but something is better than nothing...who knows maybe we'll get real lucky and go back to the 6 month deployments!! right....

Von sorry to hear you've spent more time over there than at home. Always remember your 5 & 25!
    04-12-08 01:52 PM
    I caught that newsconf as well over here....not really impressed but something is better than nothing...who knows maybe we'll get real lucky and go back to the 6 month deployments!! right....

Von sorry to hear you've spent more time over there than at home. Always remember your 5 & 25!
    YEAH!!! I love the Army its my life I just let work be work and when I am there I am Sgt Franklin and once i am off thats all Von's time. I would not change that for nothing I know that even though I missed out on alot in life I helped change the world.
    04-13-08 01:10 PM
    Von, first of all, Thank you for your service to our great nation.

If I read your original post right this will not apply to the soldiers currently deployed, only the ones deployed after August 1. If that is correct, that is sad. I would think the President and the powers that be would recognize the sacrifice you all have already made and try to get some of you back home asap.

Stay safe and get home to yours as soon as you can.
    04-13-08 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD