Folks,

This is the Turn Us On Thread! What I'm thinking is that you will present some somewhat obscure, but good, music, or TV show, or play, or movie, or other goodie, that you can "turn us all on" too. Get it? Recently I have seen people mention things in other threads that made me think back and remember, or turned me on to new things. Someone mentioned My Mother Was a Car, which I DID remember, but had to google to get details. AG & Christpherp mentioned Coco Montoya, who I had heard of but had never really checked out, BUT decided to check out. "MAN he's GOOD!!!!!" AG & C "turned me on"

Ok I will start! I saw a Canadian movie, in French with English subs (plus limited English) called Jesus de Montreal, in the early 90ies. It was the story of a group of actors who are hired to do the passion play (the story of Jesus' crucification). The story of the lead actor parallels the story of Christ. (or so says wiki) Jesus of Montreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Check it out it's an awesome movie!
    03-25-10 04:42 PM
    Mr. Show!

Best sketch comedy show EVAR!

Busy right now, I'll report back soon with more.
    03-25-10 04:57 PM
    AG & Christpherp mentioned Coco Montoya, who I had heard of but had never really checked out, BUT decided to check out. "MAN he's GOOD!!!!!" AG & C "turned me on"
    I too checked out Coco Montoya and thought he was good.

If you liked Coco you need to check out Joe Bonamassa. He is also a blues guitarist. At the age of 12 he opened for B.B. King. He's also won several blues guitarist awards and is considered by many to be the primer blues guitarist in the world.
    03-25-10 06:07 PM
    I never really care much for older movies but The Great Gatsby is such an amazing movie I think everyone should watch it....or read it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 06:15 PM
    Great thread idea PK

Got three for you guys:

Television series Homicide: Life On The Streets (best cop show EVER)

Movie: Kenneth Branaghs' Hamlet (map out 4 hours. It's best watched in one sitting)

Music: Loey Nelson - Venus Kissed The Moon ("Railroad Tracks", "Only The
    Shadow Knows" and "Venus Kissed The Moon" are the standouts)
    03-25-10 07:15 PM
    Def check out the iamamiwhoami series on youtube, its a good mystery!
    03-25-10 09:43 PM
    Flight of the Conchords
    03-25-10 10:15 PM
    Flight of the Conchords
    Definitely agree. "Boom" and "I'm Not Crying" are outstanding and hilarious.

From "I'm Not Crying"

There's just a little bit of dust in my eye
    That's from the path that you made when you said your goodbye
    I'm not weeping because you won't be here to hold my hand
    For your information there's an inflammation in my tear gland
    I'm not upset because you left me this way
    My eyes are just a little sweaty today
    They've been looking around
    They're like searching for you
    They've been looking for you
    Even though I told them not to
    03-25-10 11:21 PM
    John From Cincinatti. Only one season on HBO, but it was really good.
    03-26-10 08:29 AM
    Great idea PK! So sad the wprld lost this talent so early, but you won't find much rarer than this:

Chase

Mention the term "jazz-rock" and listeners will likely think of such acts as Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago, or Weather Report; but in the early 1970's, a band called Chase was a rival to all of them, and bidded fair to take the country by storm; in fact, for a little while in 1971, they did precisely that with a chart-topping single, a Grammy nomination, and a high place in reader polls. Chase was formed by trumpet virtuoso Bill Chase in 1970, at a time when, thanks to outfits like Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears, the public was beginning an infatuation with jazz-rock fusion. Though its roots went back to 1968, Chase came along at just the right moment to ride that wave to major chart success in 1971, with the hit single "Get It On" and the accompanying self-titled debut album.

Bill Chase (born William Edward Chiaiese on October 24, 1934) hailed from Boston, Massachussets; the family (which changed its name to "Chase" while Bill Chiaiese was a boy) was musical on both sides, especially his mother's -- one great-uncle had even played trumpet with the New York Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Bill Chase took up violin as a boy and later played percussion in the school band, but he found his real musical calling in 11th grade when, for the first time, he started playing the trumpet. He never looked back, and the only change in course on his way to a career was his shift from classical music to jazz, which took place around 1951, in the wake of his attending a Stan Kenton concert, where he first encountered the playing of Maynard Ferguson. Chase later attended the Berklee School of Music, where he studied both classical and jazz, and his teachers included John Coffey and Herb Pomeroy. In the course of a decade, from the mid-1950's through the mid-1960's, he went from playing in local Boston dance bands to playing with Woody Herman, Maynard Ferguson, and Woody Herman's Herd -- he was recording with Ferguson in the late 1950's, and became a featured soloist in Herman's band, and also a writer and arranger, and could be seen prominently in the Herd's appearances on television, as well as heard on their records. He later established himself in Las Vegas and was requested as a musician whenever he could appear on The Ed Sullivan Show or The Tonight Show. The seeds for his own band were planted in 1968, at just about the point where Chase found himself growing bored with the lot of a star soloist and began looking for a new vehicle through which to express himself and play his music. He began putting a group of his own together informally that year, and pulled together the beginnings of a core of a permanent band in 1969 -- this was the group that was eventually known as Chase, once it coalesced the following year. Bill Chase's original notion was that it would be an instrumental outfit, but he later added room for a singer and for vocals in their work, in order to extend their range and their audience appeal.

The group line-up that made it to their actual first record, in addition to Bill Chase, consisted of Jay Burrid on the drums, Phil Porter on keyboards, Dennis Johnson on bass and vocals, John Palmer on guitar, and Alan Ware, Jerry Van Blair, and Ted Piercefield on trumpet (the latter two also sang), with Terry Richards on lead vocals. Everyone of these musicians were superb, though it was the four trumpets that gave them the band its edge and its distinctive sound. The group was signed to Epic Records and were roaring up the charts in 1971 with "Get It On", an original that they'd been kicking around for months, in various line-ups (and initially without words), blasting it out over AM radio right to the Number One spot. The group's debut album marked their musical and commercial peak -- they were nominated for a Grammy Award that same year and Bill Chase placed in the number two spot (behind Frank Zappa) in a poll of the top pop musicians of the year, while Downbeat rated the Chase LP as the top pop album of 1971. Ironically, that first album sounded at times just a little bit like the original, late-1967-era, Al Kooper-led version of Blood, Sweat & Tears, a group whose inspiration had also come from Maynard Ferguson (in that case, Kooper's admiration for Ferguson's sound).

The band delivered even more in their live performances where, by most accounts, they seemed to put out 100% effort at every show. Indeed, they wrecked some of their potential as an opening act because their performances were so strong and overpowering that they embarrassed the headliners. Their reputation soon expanded beyond national boundaries as the band made tours of Europe, Africa, and Asia, and in 1972 they recorded a second album, entitled Ennea -- by the time it was cut, Burrid had been replaced by Gary Smith, and Terry Smith was out, replaced by G. G. Shinn who, in addition to singing, also played the trumpet. Unfortunately, this was also where Bill Chase, who'd written the material for the new album, lost the ear of the critics, who didn't like the second album nearly as much as they had the first. Other problems cropped up over the ensuing year, including more personnel changes, and Bill Chase driven into personal bankruptcy. He kept teaching and performing, but the band ceased to exist for several months.

In late 1972, Chase reformed the group with a new line-up, and during the following year he went through numerous personnel under the Chase name, trying to come up with a new band sound that work musically for him and that the public would accept. A third Chase album, Pure Music, was forthcoming in 1973 with a new line-up. The promise and excitement in the press for the 1971 album was dissipated now, and the new LP received a lukewarm reception, though the band was getting enough gigs to work steadily.

On August 9, 1974, the group was going by plane to Minnesota, for a performance at the Jackson County Fair, when they flew into bad weather -in the ensuing crash, Bill Chase, along with bandmembers Wally Yohn, John Emma, and Walter Clark, were killed with their two pilots. The tragedy generated shockwaves throughout the jazz community, although in the world of popular music, which was now becoming dominated by arena rock acts and beginning its embrace of disco, as well as encountering the noise of the punk rock sideshow, Chase was soon forgotten by listeners without long memories. A tribute album entitled Watch Closely Now, by surviving band alumni and longtime associates of Bill Chase, was recorded in 1977. In the late 1990's, all three Chase albums were reissued on CD on the Collectables label. ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

??

December 31, 1969

?

Url:

Chase MP3 Downloads - Chase Music Downloads - Chase Music Videos - Chase Pictures - MP3.com

The Keeper of the CrackBerry Jukebox

03-26-10 08:55 AM
    Kung Pow.

Silliest under rated comedy I can think of.

03-28-10 12:55 AM
    03-28-10 01:31 AM
    List of foreign movies I like, some of which are relativley popular.

Let the Right One In- Swedish film based on a novel of the same name about a preteen girl who's a vampire, not your typical vampire/Dracula movie. There's supposed to be an American remake coming out soon called Let Me In which is also the name of the American version of the novel.

Man Bites Dog- Belgian "black comedy mockumentary" filmed in black & white, French language. Basically a mockumentary about a serial killer who is sophisticated and charismatic. Pretty disturbing and not for the faint of heart but worth the watch.

The City of Lost Children- French take on a dystopian future. Bizarre film about a mad scientist who kidnaps children. Very stylized, industrial/steampunk film with great characters. Stars Ron Perlman.

Kontroll- Hungarian movie about ticket inspectors on the Budapest underground subway system, sort of murder mystery. Filmed completely in the subway. Very immersive movie for me.

Gozu- Possibly the strangest movie I've ever seen, I would not do it justice trying to explain it. Japanese movie directed by Takashi Miike, some of his other more popular films are Ichi the Killer and Audition.

Takashi Miike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Just a warning, Miike is known for directing scenes of excessive violence and sexual perversion.
    Last edited by KillYouWithMyMind; 03-29-10 at 04:50 PM.
    03-29-10 01:32 PM
    Music again:

James Reyne - "Fall Of Rome" (one of my favorites albums)

Eva Cassidy - died way too soon

Movies:

Shattered Glass
    The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen (tip: if you make this a date movie make
    sure your date has a sense of humor )
    The Replacement Killers

Television:

Prime Suspect (available on DVD. Helen Mirren rocks my world )
    03-29-10 02:03 PM
    If your into Industrial music check out Porcelain and the Tramps.
    03-29-10 04:37 PM
    Although it is very gory, Repo! The Genetic Opera has got to be the best movie I have seen in... wow, ever since I can remember. You must see it! Everything is sung, because its and opera, but it has such a great story... You know the new movie Repo Men? That movie basically stole the plot of Repo! The Genetic Opera, but Repo! is much more interesting in my opinion.
    03-29-10 08:57 PM
    Although it is very gory, Repo! The Genetic Opera has got to be the best movie I have seen in... wow, ever since I can remember. You must see it! Everything is sung, because its and opera, but it has such a great story... You know the new movie Repo Men? That movie basically stole the plot of Repo! The Genetic Opera, but Repo! is much more interesting in my opinion.
    I said the same thing about Repo Men. I saw Repo! back when it first came out. I wasn't a very big fan though. Rocky Horror is the only musicial I ever liked. The story in Repo! is very original which I enjoyed. Most movies nowadays are the same gosh darn thing over and over/
    03-29-10 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD