I can understand the dentist not wanting to wait to clean teeth while someone orders pizza on their cell phone. But to put up the big sign in the waiting room just does not seem right. Same thing at the chiropractor or at the pharmacy. Yes, common courtesy would suggest that one put the phone away once the dentist finally gets around to you, the chiropractor starts making your bones do the castanets thing, or you get to the head of the pharmacy line. And yes, a few - VERY few - people just don't get common courtesy. You've seen them too: the 300 lb businessman torturing a 30 foot radius with way more info than anybody wants about his latest negotiation, the dingbat shrilly saying 'well I sez to her, I sez,...' ad infinitum.

It just seems wrong that in response to the same 1/10 of 1 percent of people who will be discourteous and clueless regardless of what they are doing that these compulsive sign people who are already abusing our personal time by queuing us up to maximize some professional's cash flow should be allowed to further invade our time to dictate what we can or cannot do while we wait in their stinking lines.

Don't get me wrong. I don't yak loudly and longly on the phone in group situations if it can be at all avoided. And no doubt the few who do so are the cause of this over-reaching signage. But if I might get an important call from a family member, I'll take it. It is the right thing to do. The wrong thing to do is to penalize 99.9% of us for the one person who could be just as obnoxious with muddy shoes.

Ok, if anybody made it this far, thank you for your indulgence. Anybody feel the same way? Can anybody suggest an effective way to make the point that they are pushing it to begin with to queue me up for their convenience; further limiting the utility of my time is just really too much? Not to mention treating paying adults like children with draconian rules.

I did try to talk some sense at the chiropractor. They just didn't get it. They felt entitled to impose whatever arbitrary rules they felt necessary. It's a really good chiropractor (I know the difference) that I'd hate to dump due to petty stuff, but the "don't do this, don't do that" signs really push my buttons.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-15-09 at 04:55 PM. Reason: content moderation
    06-15-09 12:28 PM
    yep just like 7,000 steal BIS from T-Mobile and now everyone has to subscribe to it.

and don't get me started on this subject in the political world.
    06-15-09 04:02 PM
    why did my post get deleted.
    it was legit and that is stupid you delete something that is TRUE!
    06-15-09 07:54 PM
    It is private property. They can do what they want. They can ask you to where a pink feather in your hat while in their building. If I like what they do, I respect their rules. If I don't like their rules, I look elsewhere for similar services.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 12:17 PM
    why did my post get deleted.
    it was legit and that is stupid you delete something that is TRUE!
    PM sent 7 8 9 10
    06-16-09 04:06 PM
    It is private property. They can do what they want. They can ask you to where a pink feather in your hat while in their building. If I like what they do, I respect their rules. If I don't like their rules, I look elsewhere for similar services.
    While they can do as they want, so can we the consumer. The point is we ought not to put up with junk like that. I certainly don't find their rules worthy of respect; kind of the whole point. It is hardly private either. It is open to the public. I was looking for a better solution than just ignoring rules that are obnoxious. Mindlessly obeying overreaching rules like a good little drone doesn't quite do it.

A sticker with something short and sweet might be good. Working on that brief pithy phrase...

"You can have my cellphone when you pry it from..."
    "I won't call text or think in your waiting room room when you..."
    "Turn off all independent thought while you are at it"
    "No thinking either. This means YOU!"
    "You can take your pink feather and..."
    06-19-09 10:28 AM
    Rather than having to tell the percentage of the population that is oblivious to how obnoxious they are that THEY can't talk on the phone in a public place it's easier to enforce a seemingly arbitrary rule that no one can.
    It might seem unfair or unfortunate but c'est la vie.
    You are correct, if you don't like it, you can take your business elsewhere, where such restrictions are not enforced, but then you have to put up with everyone else's personal conversations in your face as well.
    Personally, I relish a few moments of silence now and again, so I don't let it bother me.
    06-19-09 12:30 PM
    I don't mind .....watching movie other day guy gets on phone and
    Is having a full conversation for like 3 minutes....just once
    Do I wish I had nothing to lose. We are now a me me me world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD